PDA

View Full Version : Rant/Vent

Rue
11-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Greetings to those of the cleric profession.

I have been meaning to post here regarding a few matters but keep procrastinating. Something happen today, that lit a fire under my bum and I would like to make a few comments regarding the matter aka rant/vent. I have been playing now for.… hmm almost 6 whole months! WHOOT, heh, I guess that still qualifies me as a newbie. I run across the veteran players often, which one day I hope to be, because lets face it, GS has that beautiful lure about it that keeps you wrapped in its illusion, which actually rocks. But there are some things about a few of the veterans that baffle me. . . I understand the need to want to help teach the younger, and it is often appreciated, but helping and lecturing are two different things. Also no matter HOW long you have been playing a cleric, even elders are capable of making errors.

So to help me, and maybe others, not to repeat this problem, and perhaps just to vent/rant this for better or the worse... I would like to air out a situation.

Imagine if you will, as so many often do.... walking into TSC where a dead body is just laying there.... Your only there for a heal.... so you ask for it, and as you get touched you inquire about the deader. "Anyone with the dead body?" ...... No answer... looking at the body you poke it and ask if he needs help or if it is being tended to, after appraising its condition you know the thing is preserved and healed. It reply's it needs life and soooooooo you get to work. Not working for tips, not worried about the experience cause you just came in off the field. . . you make the motions of steepling your fingers for pray over the dead body, prepping the thread that will bind the soul of the dead to your own and then… then…. POOF, it’s done and then a cleric out of no where tells you that it would have been nice if you had asked first! :: insert shocked look here:: Now, it’s a little to late and I don’t know how to unlink, and trying to explain you did ask, seems to fall on deaf ears. Over and over and over again till all you can think to do is finish the raise and move away. Except, I have no coin and have to get some to pay the kind healer who I was there to see in the first place. The elder cleric followed me and as I returned to pay, the other cleric kept going on and on and on how I should have asked first, they are not mad, but want me to learn the right way. The body, now alive, had explained that I did ask, so now the lecture changed to how I should have used guild speak to ask. Hmmmmmmmmm. Ok. Moving on again trying not to loose my temper cause really, this person still believes they are teaching me, not lecturing....even if the lecture had changed from You should of asked first to, You should use guild speak to ask.

I agree, Guild speak is VERY Helpful in a busy areas, and I should get in the habit of using it when I play my cleric. But really, the whole thing of lecturing someone you have never met, or know anything about IC'ly isn't really going to teach them anything. Especially when you change the lecture from one point to the other. I daydream a lot, if I miss the question while raising, heck I admit it or even if I am not daydreaming and miss it, there is no point going on and on about it, I admit it was my bad. If the Guild speak is that important, there is a better way to have gotten me to listen. Such as the person might have ASKed me, next time, "mind using the guild speak, it helps make things clearer in a busy area." The quickest way for anyone to stop listening is to TELL them (no matter what tone you dress it in) they should or have to, do something. (Hell, if I had been quicker I would of made an issue of it IC'ly how they are not of my temple and to jump in the river.)

OK Vent over, I feel MUCH better. This isn't to anger anyone; this isn't to point fingers at anyone. It is just a vent really and a good excuse that leads into my next project of Post. The Cleric Guild and Guild lines....

I know there is etiquette for Clerics, and learning them doesn't have to be so damn painful if we create a strong union with set lines we can refer new faces to. The cleric guild is non existent even if the Mentors manage to put together a Q&A night from time to time. Ok, now on to my next post. Lets hope I get it this time.

Ilvane
11-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I personally think if you asked the dead person, and they said okay..that's it.

Even if there was a cleric around, why would someone not speak up when you asked, or when you started to link?

You can UNLINK if the person doesn't want you to raise them, but I don't think you were wrong, at least if that was how things went.

Angela

El Burro
11-13-2006, 04:11 PM
WE WANT NAMES!!!

TheEschaton
11-13-2006, 05:35 PM
They're jackasses, the TSC Clerics....tell them (in an OOC whisper, of course) that if they aren't paying attention to their screen enough to notice someone ask if they're with the dead body, they're not paying enough attention to raise. If they hadn't notice, the Wizard FE (and I believe SF?) highlights whenever someone says something in fucking GREEN. They don't highlight Guildspeak, you'd have to do it yourself. They highlight SAYS because reasonably, if you're in earshot, it gives the semblence of you hearing them ask something over the backdrop of the actions of people getting things off the bench or making weird gestures to heal themselves, etc. If they silence you, report them.

And I speak as a priest myself.

-TheE-

Rathain
11-13-2006, 10:27 PM
My cleric avoids this problem by raising no one, save for a select few. Too many raise happy people about that will raise a body regardless of deity alignment, race, or etc. Leave the tedium to them.

Toss the canon of acceptable cleric sociable behavior out the window. There is no set and defined camaraderie among clerics, because not all clerics serve the same deity. Their motives, thoughts, and allegiances vary, and their actions will as well. The concept of a cleric or paladin guild is absurd because of this.

Daniel
11-13-2006, 10:36 PM
I just woulda told him to fucking cry about it and moved on.

Ignot
11-13-2006, 11:05 PM
I just woulda told him to fucking cry about it and moved on.

i second this