PDA

View Full Version : Example of Elven Heraldry

thornhappy
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm working on a signet ring and I'd like to see what other designs people have rustled up.

Thanks in advance.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
Wootle. Ok.. one of Narcissiia's signet rings:

a petite vaalin Nalfein signet ring
The entire face of the ring is formed of jade inlaid into the vaalin filigree band, and in the upper half of the gold-hued frame a black pearl rose is set. Below this is a tiny emerald viper rising from a blooming ruby rose, flanked to the left by a stylized sapphire fan and to the right by a ruby longsword laid across an open ivory tome. Two fluid-like lines draw down from the top of the frame next to a small, silver-encased black pearl. A tiny hinge is placed at the bottom of the ring's face.

And then Adriata's, who is a Faendryl:

a thin silver Faendryl signet ring
The delicately worked silver has been wrought into the smooth band of this ring, upon which a solid-framed crest is set. Inlaid into the greyish-silver patined field is a thin pentagram, formed of a deep crimson bloodjewel. In the top half, a tiny blood-red ruby forming the flower of a thorny rose adorns the stinger of a diamond scorpion flourish, and lower to the right is a small ivory pyramid with a tiny blue sapphire set into the tip. Flanking to the left is a miniscule ivory crescent moon.

OH. And ummm an old Ashrim one that is a heirloom in Jerrikan's family (he has Ashrim blooded ancestors):

an ancient emerald signet band
The silver forming the band and imperial frame of the signet, though clean, is tarnished and spotted with age. The face of the ring is formed of bright turquoise, a stylized emerald wavecrest filling the top of the frame. Below is a topaz compass, flanked to the right by an amethyst star and the left, an ivory rope bound about a wheel. A curled three line yellow star flourish sets directly next to the compass.

Jolena
11-07-2006, 03:32 PM
HoE gifted a signet ring to Stunseed's character in Plat before she left and so I'll post that one here, as well as another version of it. We had the original one she left to use altered to fit his character's House.

Original version for House Ta'Nalfein:

An onyx-inlaid signet ring: - A beautiful onyx cabochon has been inlaid into this polished faenor ring. Engraved within the jewel is an elven crest with a frame of silver upon a field of jade green. The flourish of four silver whorls that thicken into bladed points lies within the arch of the crest. A ghostly blue viper with black petal-like scales serves as the signifier. Along the outer right of the vale, a silvered arch over a drop of water has been placed, while the left side features a coil of faenor around a plum.

Altered version for House Faendryl:

You tap an onyx-inlaid signet ring that you are wearing.
>l my ring
Unbroken engraving in the pure eahnor forms an etched silver frame encircling the onyx cabochon set band. Captured within this boundary is an elven crest, a scarlet pentacle on a field of grey. Two nightshade blossoms, aligned from stem to petal, lay within the arch of the crest, forming a graceful flourish. A clenched platinum fist occupies the paternal flank, opposite to a fully-bloomed Lady's Slipper. Rendered in flight, a blood-eagle, talons grasping a teardrop bloodjewel, serves as the signifier.

HouseofElves
11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
This was for my character in Plat. Since it was Plat and I was mostly RPing with like five people and they let you get away with anything she was an official priestess of Fash for the Nalfein court, thus the jewels. I'm really not a fan of people getting them in Prime unless they've earned them

an intricate vaalin signet ring ~Upon the is vaalin ring is mounted an Elven crest. Within the gold frame are four black eahnor rows of thorn tiles that frame an onyx rose upon a field of jade. Beneath the onyx is a silver moth inset with golden topaz eye markings. Flanked to the left is a sunset-hued blazestar etched with a wreath of swan feathers and to the right a metallic black pearl etched with a crescent over a shield. A trio of black pearls rest near the top rimmed in silver, orange eahnor, and vaalin respectively.

And yay for Bree for posting, the first one was Erendyl's that we worked on.

Uni has had a few different signet rings but this is her -full- one: a slender faenor band ~ Gems and traces of eahnor have been used to create this gold-bordered crest on a thin band of faenor. The background is comprised of green jade with a single blood red spiral curling from the top to encompass a black rose. Set below the rose is a thistle of deep amethyst accented with hues of blood red, resting atop a black dagger. Flanked to the left side is a stalk of golden foxglove resting on an ebon wine goblet and to the left is a pure white lily with a blood red center.

The reoccurance of blood red is the Mother's houseline and since Lysistrata and Uniana have mothers who were of the same house, you'll see something alike in her crest.

And I'm working on another ring where the black petals of the Nalfein rose fall and change into crimson, but that's a bit detailed so I might go with a bracelet or necklace hrmmm hrm.

Hope this helps.

Stunseed
11-07-2006, 04:01 PM
< I'm really not a fan of people getting them in Prime unless they've earned them >

Could you elaborate on this, please?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-07-2006, 04:12 PM
< I'm really not a fan of people getting them in Prime unless they've earned them >

Could you elaborate on this, please?

She's saying that she hates me for making Issi having earning a jewel as a part of her background history.

H8 H8 H8.

Just kidding. I think Krissi talked about this on the officials and I can definitely understand the stance-- some people are going to use this tool appropriately and won't overdo it with their character. Other people are going to make a Nalfein signet ring for their half-krol and give them Vaalorian jewels, just because some people don't give two-shits about appropriateness concerning the documentation. She'd rather see no jewels at all then a bunch of retards running around with "jewels" when it doesn't make sense I think. Kiki will correct me if I'm wrong, hehe. I can't say I utterly disagree, like I said before. I know I'm not the type to abuse it but she's right that others will, and maybe it is time for something to be done about that.

Stunseed
11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
That's nice and all, but....

Again, how does one "earn it"?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-07-2006, 04:18 PM
That's nice and all, but....

Again, how does one "earn it"?

By doing some sort of very noble deed for an Elven House. I think maybe only 5 people have officially earned a jewel through all of Gemstone.. during invasions/quests I am guessing. It's sort of like the knight title and getting spurs.. you have to be involved with NPCs and behave suitably, and hopefully you'll earn one.

Jolena
11-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Is there a list somewhere of these jewels and which one represents what House?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
11-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Is there a list somewhere of these jewels and which one represents what House?

Pretty much anything you need to know can be found here:

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/tomes/elven_history/heraldry.asp

That said, this was copied directly from that page:

Only the royal jewels are in solid hues; all other jewels are streaked, barred, spotted, speckled, or starred with another color. Although hundreds of recognized jewels exist, they fall into specific categories by color.

The primary hue of the jewel itself will indicate from which House the jewel came.

White/Diamond House Illistim
Red/Blazestar House Vaalor
Orange/Heliodor Ancient House Faendryl (no longer recognized)
Yellow/Topaz House Ardenai
Green/Emerald House Ashrim
Violet/Amethyst House Loenthra
Black/Pearl House Nalfein

The rim of the jewel is set apart with a slim black line on both sides, so that its hue can be distinguished from the field and the jewel if it should match either one. There are several broad categories of jewel-worthy actions; each of these is distinguished by a different color, so that, while one elf may not recognize the specific award designated by another elf's jewel, he will at least know the general category.

Gold acts of leadership
Silver community service
White personal sacrifice
Red military achievement
Orange research and discovery
Yellow achievement in sport
Green healing
Blue foreign relations
Violet artistic achievement
Black indicates that the jewel was awarded posthumously

HouseofElves
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Actually only two people have earned them that I know of, Eiadh and Caladrial I think. Basically it was an event for any and all empaths (and others, I think Caladrial is a cleric) and if you were there and were pure Elven, you got a jewel. At first I kicked myself for not taking Jacina, but then I figured it just wouldn't have felt like I had -earned- it.

Nauriel
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM
hrm okay, here is couple ive done for Nauriel.

this one is a pendant, its a general Faendryl family crest rather then a personalized signet. It is done on Heliodor because it was made before the banishment from old city and is a treasured family heirloom that is passed from father to son, heir to heir in the family.

a faenor-caged heliodor pendant-Strung upon an intricate brushed silver chain, a cabochon of pale yellow heliodor shimmers from within a latticeworked faenor cage. Brightly hued ora rests in narrow channels carved into its surface to create a detailed crest. Nestled on a grey field, a crimson-scaled serpent coils about a blooming sable nightshade before sinking its fangs upon its tail. Sanguine blood spills from the twin wounds to coalese into the scarlet pentacle background in a flood of crimson.
>read pendant
In the Faendryl language, it reads: Power in truth, Power in blood.

this one is a full personalized Ardenai signet ring that was a gift from her father.

a platinum signet ring- Golden topaz inlaid into the faenor-veined platinum band surrounds the gold-framed crest. Embracing the emerald oak leaf in the upper half of the vale, a branch of lor twines with a delicate ivy vine. Below, an intricate rose bursts into bloom, its petals ranging from shades of fairest grey to deepest black. A delicate silver-tipped violet rose flanks the crest to the left, an ivory stag balancing it on the right.
>read ring
In the Elven language, it reads: Deep roots endure all storms.

this third one is another simplized personal signet design, and yes you will notice things from the first and second in it and no im not going to say anything else! ;)

Encompassed in a gold frame and set upon a field of grey, a sanguine-scaled serpent twined about a sprig of sable hued nightshade is positioned over a scarlet pentacle. Beneath the pentacle, a well detailed rose bursting into bloom with petals ranging from the fairest grey to the deepest black is set against the field. A delicate silver-tipped violet rose flanks the crest to the left, while an ivory stag flanks its' right.

DCSL
11-07-2006, 07:06 PM
Quick post between the insanity of homework and studying. Strata's crest has morphed a bit over the years, taking two different forms for her personal symbol. This one is the current one and has been it for a bit over two years now, I think.

a pale platinum elven signet ring
A domed band of pale platinum serves as the background upon which a traditional elven crest is inlaid and enamelled in exquisite detail. The dark jade field is ringed by a gold imperial frame, featuring a meandering, blood spiral flourish curling around a black rose in the arch. Another black rose sits in the vale, wreathed in sanguine stylized eahnor flames. Flanking to the left is a tiny spot of blood represented by a black ruby and to the right is a coiled ivory serpent at rest.

GuildRat
11-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Should've made them read the boring assed tomes in the Illistim library to find out how to earn one.

Nilandia
11-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Still love those designs, Nauriel. :D

I have two signet rings that I've altered to include a crest, but they only include the personal signifier, because I don't think that there's nearly enough room on a ring to include the whole of the crest.

That said, these are the rings I have for Lisera.

a delicate eahnor signet ring ~ Finely polished eahnor keeps its natural crimson hue, worked into an intricate filigree to snare a detailed crest contained within. Inlaid onyx and ruby form the crest, that of a blooming rose upon an open fan.

a smooth vaalin signet ring ~ Time has worn away much of the finer details of the engravings upon the ring, but the crest that crowns it remains sharp and clear. Cloisonne enamel brings color to the crest, that of a ruby rose blooming upon an opened black fan.

Gretchen

Amaron
11-08-2006, 10:45 AM
I was so sad my connection sucked when we did the empath event. Quess had been there for a bit of it and I could not get on for the end.

Ah well some other time..

And FTR I agree no one should have a gem unless they were earned and given by a ruler of an elven house.

J

Gnomad
11-08-2006, 03:18 PM
Are basic signet rings available anywhere? I definitely have a character I'd like to get one for.

Nauriel
11-08-2006, 05:21 PM
I'd look on playershops.com...I know I just bought a 'transparant ora signet ring' at EG so I know the 'signet' rings are out there.