PDA

View Full Version : Which is better?

VorpalBlade
11-06-2006, 03:31 PM
4x Claidh,10x perfectly forged Flamberge, 10x perfectly forged Awl-Pike.

Better respective against the average critter across all 100 levels.

Gan
11-06-2006, 03:34 PM
My vote is on the 4x claidh.

Artha
11-06-2006, 03:39 PM
Claidhs have +40 (I think) crit weighting, so a hit would be like getting hit with a 12x sword. So if AS isn't a problem, I'd go for that.

StrayRogue
11-06-2006, 03:44 PM
lol @ 10x awl pike.

Latrinsorm
11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Awl-pikes are crappy and polearms.

Comparing flamberges and claidhmores, flamberges will always have an advantage of 1 second base RT. This generally won't matter in open swinging, but flamberges are eminently aimable for most races. The same cannot be said for claidhmores. We are going to assume that any natural weighting occurs equally for both weapons and that the peculiar deficiencies of the claidhmore (unable to bless through ordinary means, etc.) are of no consequence.

First we examine the skin armor group. The perfect flamberge has an advantage of 11 AvD and .011 DF. By the time the claidhmore gets to a rank 1 crit, the flamberge is doing 31 damage: a rank 6 crit. This is only at an 8 success margin though, and most squares have significantly higher success margins. Generally a square can average a 50 success margin against even the most spelled pures (when properly maneuvered), and at that point both weapons are getting rank 9 crits. Because the flamberge has a superior DF and AvD, it will always do more raw damage; thus, the perfect 10x flamberge is always a superior weapon over a 4x claidhmore for squares. Sissy semis and pures, I don't know.

I will repeat this derivation for other armor groups.
Soft leather:
At the claidhmore's crit rank 1 threshold: 26 damage, a rank 4 crit.
At a 50 success margin: 43 damage, a rank 7 crit. (Claidhmore: rank 9)
Probably better off with the claidhmore here.

Rigid leather:
CCR1: 31 damage, a rank 4 crit.
70: 59 damage, a rank 8 crit. (CR: 9)
I'd go with the flamberge every time.

Chain:
CCR1: 23 damage, a rank 2 crit.
100: 50 damage, a rank 6 crit. (CR: 9)
For this armor group only, the claidhmore has a higher DF than the flamberge. Assuming speed is of no object and crit type is either irrelevant or equal across the two weapon bases, the claidhmore is the best bet.

Plate:
CCR1: 19 damage, a rank 2 crit.
100: 33 damage, a rank 4 crit. (CR: 5)
A W for the claidhmore (assuming the same conditions as above). The flamberge will be superior once it achieves a rank 9 crit, but that isn't until an endroll of 440.
In any event, this is kind of a pointless comparison because you should always be using a maul against plate anyway.

And to save Daniel or Xyelin the post, LOL U SHD GET LAID D00D.

edit: I can't believe I did all this and someone tries to counter it with anecdotal evidence. :(

Artha
11-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Gimme ur lunch moneyz.

Latrinsorm
11-06-2006, 04:58 PM
wtf is the punchline to your sig.

Artha
11-06-2006, 05:21 PM
None, feminists don't change anything.

Sean of the Thread
11-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Lies they change their hormones so they don't have the period.

Boris
11-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Awl-pikes are crappy

Perfectly forged Awl-pike is the best polearm you can get in terms of DF, do the numbers yourself.

And no Claidhs aren't the best weapons. Why? At level 91 I have never never had a problem with hitting a critters DS, and I almost always do max crit rank nearly all the time.

Absolute best Two handed weapon if I were stuck on an island and had only one to choose?

A 10x perfectly forged heavily crit weighted awl-pike.

Artha
11-06-2006, 05:46 PM
How are you level 91 and know almost nothing about the game?

Boris
11-06-2006, 05:48 PM
I know lots about the game ! And Paladins are the best.

Sean of the Thread
11-06-2006, 05:49 PM
How are you level 91 and know almost nothing about the game?

Ebay?

Boris
11-06-2006, 05:51 PM
Actually I went from 28-91 but not from Ebay, character was given by a friend and he never returned.

Latrinsorm
11-06-2006, 06:29 PM
Perfectly forged Awl-pike is the best polearm you can get in terms of DF, do the numbers yourself.An awl-pike has the same DF as a flamberge (which is a full 2 seconds faster) versus skin. It's true that the awl-pike has the best weapon DF in the game versus soft and rigid leather, but a lance trumps it on the higher armor groups, where a .025 gap in DF is much more significant.

In any case, the fact remains that an awl-pike is not a two-handed weapon insofar as GemStone is concerned. Polearms that require two hands are polearms, not two-handed weapons.
And no Claidhs aren't the best weapons.I didn't say claidhs were "the best weapons", I said that given the choice between a 10x perfect flamberge and a 4x claidhmore, a claidhmore is certainly better against chain and plate and probably better against soft leather. You can try to find a flaw in my math or you can stop talking; any other response will be ignored.
I almost always do max crit rank nearly all the time.Even supposing you do, the question specifically stated "across all 100 levels", so your experiences at level 91 are 1/100th of the answer. I'm sure I don't need to remind you what grade corresponds to 1 correct answer out of 100 questions.

It's baffling that your "best" weapon only has heavy crit weighting and has a base RT of 9 seconds. The actual best weapon in the game is an aimed (insert obnoxious enhancements here) maul to the head. You can't logically do better than guaranteed death.

"Do the numbers" indeed.

Boris
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Boris
Perfectly forged Awl-pike is the best polearm you can get in terms of DF, do the numbers yourself.

An awl-pike has the same DF as a flamberge (which is a full 2 seconds faster) versus skin. It's true that the awl-pike has the best weapon DF in the game versus soft and rigid leather, but a lance trumps it on the higher armor groups, where a .025 gap in DF is much more significant.

Lance (unforgeable) .725 .525 .550 .475 .350

Perfectly forged Awl-pike .636 .583 .6095 .477 .371

Awl-pike hands down the best.(not to mention the +6 or whatever to AvD)

BTW, I swing both awl-pike and Flamberge in 5 seconds. I set awl-pike to crush. I usually kill things in a couple of hits (not aiming). And occasionally get the head crit insta death (not aiming).

StrayRogue
11-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Why argue about weapons that don't really exist? Or at least if they do, they are not in any form of wide circulation.

StrayRogue
11-07-2006, 12:26 PM
Ebay?

FT Boris W

Artha
11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Don't lances have some sort of innate crit-weighting? If so that probably outweighs the small DF difference.

Boris
11-07-2006, 01:32 PM
Don't lances have some sort of innate crit-weighting? If so that probably outweighs the small DF difference.

I have never heard about this before.

Why argue about weapons that don't really exist? Or at least if they do, they are not in any form of wide circulation.

They are uncommon because people believe they are inferior to lances. But perfect awlpikes are no more difficult to make then any other perfect weapon.

Sean
11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't think anyones concerned about the commoness of a perfectly forged awl-pike or even flamberge but where are you gonna find a 10x one to compare to the way more common 4x claidh.

Celephais
11-07-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't think anyones concerned about the commoness of a perfectly forged awl-pike or even flamberge but where are you gonna find a 10x one to compare to the way more common 4x claidh.

I imagine through Premium Points. (not siding with Boris, for the love of god, but pre-empting an argument)

Daniel
11-07-2006, 05:34 PM
And to save Daniel or Xyelin the post, LOL U SHD GET LAID D00D.

How about a constructive hobby?