PDA

View Full Version : Wino's Rejoice!

Apathy
11-02-2006, 09:21 AM
http://health.yahoo.com/news/168370;_ylt=Aiz.u5CSHmeS_Wc5p6WdUYdLvs8F
Alternate story than the quote.

A compound found in red wine and grapes can extend the lifespan of obese mice and help them enjoy a healthier old age, scientists said on Wednesday.

The molecule known as resveratrol not only enabled the mice to live longer than other overweight rodents, it also reduced the negative health effects of eating a high-calorie diet.

Resveratrol has been shown to have same effect in studies on yeast, flies and worms but the scientists said their research is the first to show it works in mammals.

"It is possible to find a molecule that activates the body's natural defenses against aging. You can use it to enhance the health of a mouse or mammal. That is unprecedented," said David Sinclair, of Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts.

He added that the study, reported in the journal Nature, is proof of the principle that it works in mammals. But the real test will be to develop formulations or find other molecules to treat age-related illnesses such as diabetes, Alzheimer's, heart disease and cancer in humans.

"The goal here is within the next few years to know it is possible to treat diseases in man," he told Reuters.

HEALTH BENEFITS

Researchers already know that restricting calories can prolong life in mice and other organisms. Resveratrol seems to mimic the beneficial effects of eating less without the hassle of dieting.

Sinclair and an international team of scientists analyzed the impact of molecule by studying three groups of middle-aged mice. One group ate a standard diet. The second was fed a high-calorie diet and the third had the same diet but were given supplements of resveratrol.

Eight weeks after starting the study, the scientists noticed a difference between the two high-calorie groups. By the time the mice were 114 weeks old, 58 percent in the high-calorie group had died, compared to 42 percent in the other groups.

"After six months, resveratrol essentially prevented most of the negative effects of the high-calorie diet in mice," said Rafael de Cabo, a co-author of the study from the National Institute on Aging in the United States.

The study is continuing but so far the compound has extended the lifespan in the high-calorie mice by about 10-20 percent.

"There is no question that we are seeing increased longevity," said Sinclair.

In addition to increasing survival, the compound reduced the negative effects of being obese so the mice treated with resveratrol lived as long as the lean mice.

They had healthier heart and liver tissue, decreased blood sugar levels, better insulin sensitivity and were more active than the other rodents.

When the scientists looked at the genetic level, to see which genes in the mice were switched on or off, they found the molecule had changed the gene expression pattern of the obese mice toward that of a lean mouse.

The next step is to understand how the compound works.

Sinclair and his colleagues believe a key component could be the SIRT1 gene which is thought to be linked to lifespan extension.

Sirtris Pharmaceuticals, a therapeutics company co-founded by Sinclair, has started a trial of a proprietary formulation of resveratrol in patients with Type 2 diabetes.

"The real bang will be if somebody proves this is going to work in people," Sinclair added.

-------

Holy shit, are you telling me I can eat everything I want to, and just get drunk on wine on a regular basis and be fine?!

I'm so in.

zhelas
11-02-2006, 09:25 AM
Break out the Mad Dog 20/20 Grape flavor!!!!

TheEschaton
11-02-2006, 09:36 AM
Damn, I gotta lay off the rum, move on to a good merlot.

-TheE-

Daniel
11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
No way I'm giving up my jack.

Latrinsorm
11-02-2006, 10:42 AM
Is it really living if all you drink is wine? :no:

Miss X
11-02-2006, 10:54 AM
If all I need to do is add a glass of Merlot to my food fests I'l rejoice!!!

radamanthys
11-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Mmmm... syrrah....

I'll also take a '97 Cab over a jack on the rocks any day.

Not, however, over two or three fingers of Johnny Walker Blue Label. Sooo good.

Artha
11-02-2006, 12:46 PM
Natty light in the house!!1!

Ravenstorm
11-02-2006, 01:08 PM
Those mice were getting the resveratrol equivalent of 100 bottles of wine a day. So start drinking real early in the day.

HarmNone
11-02-2006, 01:14 PM
Those mice were getting the resveratrol equivalent of 100 bottles of wine a day. So start drinking real early in the day.

Heh. You mean sorta like the red food coloring fiasco?

OMG! Red food coloring is gonna kill ya! Ya gotta stop with the red food coloring! Of course, if you read the small print, the poor little mice drowned in the damned red food coloring. Not likely that's going to happen to a person, eh? Well, maybe some people ...

Back
11-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Well, if you want to be obese and live longer, more power to you. Chances are though, if you are obese to begin with, you aren’t living longer than someone who is not. Also... watch out for liver and nerve damage.

There are other ways (http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/08/cz_af_1008health.html) to increase longevity that are less costly both financially and physically.

ElanthianSiren
11-02-2006, 01:56 PM
Being juvenile diabetic makes you age much slower too because of the inadequate basal insulin levels that go hand in hand with the disease. You can also have your pancreases chopped out :)

-M

Apathy
11-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Well, if you want to be obese and live longer, more power to you. Chances are though, if you are obese to begin with, you aren’t living longer than someone who is not. Also... watch out for liver and nerve damage.

There are other ways (http://www.forbes.com/2003/10/08/cz_af_1008health.html) to increase longevity that are less costly both financially and physically.

- Better teeth: Seminal plasma contains zinc, calcium and other minerals shown to retard tooth decay. Since this is a family Web site, we will omit discussion of the mineral delivery system. Suffice it to say that it could be a far richer, more complex and more satisfying experience than squeezing a tube of Crest--even Tartar Control Crest. Researchers have noted, parenthetically, that sexual etiquette usually demands the brushing of one's teeth before and/or after intimacy, which, by itself, would help promote better oral hygiene.

I've been using that line for years. Nice to know I wasn't lying at least.

Apathy
11-02-2006, 02:55 PM

I'm rigging up an IV to drink while I'm asleep. Good goddamn ideas go through this brain of mine I tell you.

Apathy
11-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Is it really living if all you drink is wine? :no:

Bibo ergo sum.

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2006, 03:01 PM

Actually obese people tend to endure a sickness or disease much better than twigs.

Celephais
11-02-2006, 03:40 PM
Actually obese people tend to endure a sickness or disease much better than twigs.

So we're looking at a world filled with immortal obese drunks screwing all the time?

Daniel
11-02-2006, 04:15 PM

Maybe if this were the 16th century or sub-saharan Africa where food is scarce and any disease that led to wasting for a death sentence.

Being physically fit means a stronger immune system and a body that is able to bounce back from illness and injury faster.

Sean of the Thread
11-02-2006, 04:30 PM
I didn't make up the fact I just repeated it.