PDA

View Full Version : Rift Gems

zhelas
10-10-2006, 10:20 AM
I hear that the gems found in the rift have some unusual properties to them etc. Is there a reference somewhere that lists what they do?

Thanks,

Zhelas

Landrion
10-10-2006, 10:23 AM
You have to watch out for urglaes fangs, glossy black doomstones and oblivion quartzes. All of them will run some nasty scripts on you/curse you/screw you over. Mostly they just stick you in roundtime, but one of them itchy curses.

Asha
10-10-2006, 10:45 AM
And don't forget to LOOK at the Aster Opals.

Artha
10-10-2006, 10:57 AM
I remember awhile back if you had auto-pick up on, you could safely grab the fangs/quartzes/doomstones, you just couldn't touch them once you stowed them.

Asha
10-10-2006, 11:02 AM
You can drag them to safety to.
Stupid really.

zhelas
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM

Yeah sure. :grin: I just found this link. http://www.virilneus.com/gemview.htm

zhelas
10-10-2006, 11:50 AM
Was there something about Eye-of-Koar emeralds? I hear fogging and 130 are whacked in the rift.

Jolena
10-10-2006, 12:00 PM
You can fog from the cavern, but that's all I know so far. (is new to the Rift)

Nauriel
10-10-2006, 01:25 PM
just remember to sell any waxy grey caederine you find at the furrier, not the gemshop.

AestheticDeath
10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
I am interested in the Eye-of-Koar emeralds as well. I think I have hunted the rift on and off for over a year, and it was only recently that I finally found one.

Now I wanna know how to use it.. assuming the rumor is true.

Stunseed
10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
Was there something about Eye-of-Koar emeralds? I hear fogging and 130 are whacked in the rift.

Supposedly, using the Symbol of Return or trying to 130 on any plane of the Rift will take you immediately to Plane 5, as will finding and going through the maw.

In the Cavern, either method will drop you down to Pinefar. The emeralds allow you to bypass the 10k limit ( I thinkz! ).

AestheticDeath
10-10-2006, 08:51 PM
Thats what I have heard. That the emeralds allow you a way out without losing the coins. Unfortunatly I left the rift before I knew I had the emerald, so I was unable to test the thing.

Landrion
10-10-2006, 09:25 PM
Supposedly, using the Symbol of Return or trying to 130 on any plane of the Rift will take you immediately to Plane 5, as will finding and going through the maw.

In the Cavern, either method will drop you down to Pinefar. The emeralds allow you to bypass the 10k limit ( I thinkz! ).

Sym returning off of one just dissipates in the air. Ive tried.

Liberi Fatali
10-10-2006, 10:29 PM

Thats what I have heard. That the emeralds allow you a way out without losing the coins. Unfortunatly I left the rift before I knew I had the emerald, so I was unable to test the thing.

Sym returning off of one just dissipates in the air. Ive tried.

Hey, I can answer these questions! Look at me, I'm being resourceful.

Symbol of Return does indeed work on Plane 5. In fact, it is one of my favoured methods of getting off the plane. Doing the symbol from plane 5 will result in a RANDOM location. Unfortunately, this means you could easily wind up on plane 5 each time you attempt it -- so watch your favour. I've landed on each plane (yes, this includes plane 1, 2, 3 and 4) while using the symbol. If, however, you land on plane 4 -- you're stuck with climbing. As happens on plane 1, it will merely dissipate into the air. 130 is also random when casting from Plane 5 -- I dare not use this much as the 500,000 seconds of roundtime is atrocious.

There are two really marvelous gems that can be found in the Rift. The eye-of-Koar emeralds, and the aster opals (as already mentioned).

Most people see the aster opal as a harmful gem, when in fact, it is a mix of both. The aster opal, when LOOKED at, can do the following things: curse you (generating a random curse, much like the doomstones), lower your AS, DS, CS, TD (all depending on the message you receive), give you HASTE, give you SLOW, and my personal favourite: give you a +20 CS for 30-45 seconds. I always look at my opal a million times before engaging in PVP against someone with a huge TD. Ask Eliaku how that +20 to my CS aids me in dominating -- he remembers.

And then, of course, there is the brilliant eye-of-Koar emerald:

You remove an Eye-of-Koar emerald from in your stitched black pack.
>
The emerald is not only large, but the dramatic depths glimpsed within its facets would rival sunlight reflecting off sparkling water. The stone's color is a green so vibrant, it threatens to surpass the restrictions of sight and express its perfection in fragrance as well as beauty.

To use it, you MUST have at LEAST 10,000 silver coins ON YOU. Then you simply RAISE it while you're in the Rift and you get transported, as observed here:

>[The Rift]
Purple blood flows over the floor, making footing hazardous and slick. As it moves to the south, it slowly turns red, brought to life by the breeze flowing through. The walls squeeze in and out, forcing the blood to move south and east. The floor ripples beneath your feet as worms burrow through, tooth-filled maws breaking the surface violently then diving back below. You also see a scratched silver chest, the Jenovadeath disk and the blue Eiderfleur disk.
Also here: Eiderfleur
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast, west
>
weal
You have 10793 coins with you.
>
THA-THUMP.

>Eiderfleur fidgets.
>l
[The Rift]
Purple blood flows over the floor, making footing hazardous and slick. As it moves to the south, it slowly turns red, brought to life by the breeze flowing through. The walls squeeze in and out, forcing the blood to move south and east. The floor ripples beneath your feet as worms burrow through, tooth-filled maws breaking the surface violently then diving back below. You also see a scratched silver chest, the Jenovadeath disk and the blue Eiderfleur disk.
Obvious exits: northeast, southeast, west
>Eiderfleur picks up a scratched silver chest.
>A lost soul floats in!
>Eiderfleur laughs maniacally. Guess she really likes it here.
>
Eiderfleur exclaims, "'quick!"
>720 soul
You trace an intricate sign that contorts in the air while forcefully invoking Implosion...
Your spell is ready.
>You gesture at a lost soul.
A void rips open in the area, directly above a lost soul!
Rather abrupt decompression causes a lost soul to explode!
Tiny soul particles disperse rapidly through the area!
Quite severely dead.
You hear a sound like a weeping child as a white glow separates itself from the lost soul's body as it rises, disappearing into the heavens.
Everything in the room seemed to stay in place. The void disappears without further incident.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>raise my em
You close your eyes and concentrate as you raise your Eye-of-Koar emerald.
The emerald flickers brightly, and the natural navette shape of the gem makes it resemble the blinking eye of a great wyrm. Your skin begins to tingle as the eerie feeling of being watched steals over you.

You get the pleasant feeling that one of life's burdens has been lifted from you.

The surroundings ripple, tinted with a vibrant green light, and your vision begins to fade as you feel yourself being pulled away.
[Altar of the Elder]
The ledge is more generous than it appeared from the lower stone platform, which now looks extremely narrow and far below. The view from here of the monumental ice sculpture reveals its top to be as superbly detailed as its other aspects. Incongruously, a pool of clear, sapphire-colored water lies between the ledge and an immense statue of a sleeping drake, its recumbent body curled around a large throne on the pool's northern edge. You also see a flight of steps.
Obvious exits: up
The Eye-of-Koar emerald in your hand crumbles into fine, sparkling dust.
Roundtime: 5 sec.
>Eiderfleur gasps.
>l
[Altar of the Elder]
The ledge is more generous than it appeared from the lower stone platform, which now looks extremely narrow and far below. The view from here of the monumental ice sculpture reveals its top to be as superbly detailed as its other aspects. Incongruously, a pool of clear, sapphire-colored water lies between the ledge and an immense statue of a sleeping drake, its recumbent body curled around a large throne on the pool's northern edge. You also see the blue Eiderfleur disk and a flight of steps.
Obvious exits: up

Others see:

Jenovadeath closes his eyes and furrows his brow as he raises his Eye-of-Koar emerald.
The emerald flickers brightly, and the natural navette shape of the gem makes it resemble the blinking eye of a great wyrm. Your skin begins to tingle as the eerie feeling of being watched steals over you.

The only drawback to this fog is that it TAKES 10,000 silvers away from you. Not too much of a loss, considering you can't exit the Rift with that much anyway. Only the person raising the emerald needs the 10k, the group members do not.

It has one other use -- and this one can be used OUTSIDE the Rift (unlike the fogging feature, which is just limited to inside the Rift). If you have 20,000 silvers or more on you and you RAISE it, you'll receive a deed. This is true for every member in your group that has 20,000 silvers or more on them as well. This is also true in the fogging scenario -- if you raise the emerald with 20k + you will fog AND receive a deed. 20k for a deed is rather costly, but again, if you're in the Rift coins are just a waste anyway.

And that, as they say, is that.

Tabor.

Sean of the Thread
10-10-2006, 10:31 PM

W T F MATE I just followed your instructions. THANKS ALOT.

zhelas
10-11-2006, 12:31 AM
W T F MATE I just followed your instructions. THANKS ALOT.

I wasn't sure on them before because the link http://www.virilneus.com/gemview.htm

However I think Liberi Fatali aka Jenovadeath answers what those Opals do.

Most people see the aster opal as a harmful gem, when in fact, it is a mix of both. The aster opal, when LOOKED at, can do the following things: curse you (generating a random curse, much like the doomstones), lower your AS, DS, CS, TD (all depending on the message you receive), give you HASTE, give you SLOW, and my personal favourite: give you a +20 CS for 30-45 seconds. I always look at my opal a million times before engaging in PVP against someone with a huge TD. Ask Eliaku how that +20 to my CS aids me in dominating -- he remembers

Thanks for the imput on the gems.

Zhelas

Xaerve
10-11-2006, 10:02 AM
TABOR BEING NICE??

Jolena
10-11-2006, 02:15 PM
I know, I know. But it *does* happen once in a while! :D

Lassiter 506
10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Sure as hell didn't know about the 20K deed adding function of those emeralds. Damn good summary. Thanks.

AestheticDeath
10-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Very helpful, thanks.

zhelas
10-13-2006, 03:34 PM
Symbol of Return does indeed work on Plane 5. In fact, it is one of my favoured methods of getting off the plane. Doing the symbol from plane 5 will result in a RANDOM location. Unfortunately, this means you could easily wind up on plane 5 each time you attempt it -- so watch your favour. I've landed on each plane (yes, this includes plane 1, 2, 3 and 4) while using the symbol. If, however, you land on plane 4 -- you're stuck with climbing. As happens on plane 1, it will merely dissipate into the air. 130 is also random when casting from Plane 5 -- I dare not use this much as the 500,000 seconds of roundtime is atrocious.

So um what about COL's Sign of Darkness? Does it behave like Symbol of Return?

AestheticDeath
10-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Outside the rift yeah.. takes you to the pinefar building upstairs. Inside rift? Maybe - never tried.

Silique
06-16-2007, 12:53 PM
Think you could remove a dead person from plane 5 with that?