PDA

View Full Version : Warrior question

Morlian
10-04-2006, 11:26 AM
I'm curious - I want to drop ambush since I never use it (never felt the need), but I'm not sure where to put the points. Here's my stats and skills:

Race: Half-Elf Profession: Warrior (shown as: Swordsman)
Normal (Bonus) ... Enhanced (Bonus)
Strength (STR): 89 (19) ... 89 (19)
Constitution (CON): 85 (17) ... 85 (17)
Dexterity (DEX): 86 (23) ... 86 (23)
Agility (AGI): 78 (24) ... 78 (24)
Discipline (DIS): 59 (-1) ... 59 (-1)
Aura (AUR): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Logic (LOG): 82 (16) ... 82 (16)
Intuition (INT): 65 (7) ... 65 (7)
Wisdom (WIS): 63 (6) ... 63 (6)
Influence (INF): 37 (-1) ... 37 (-1)
Mana: 11

at level 17), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Armor Use..........................| 132 36
Combat Maneuvers...................| 132 36
Two-Handed Weapons.................| 132 36
Ambush.............................| 82 18
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 25 5
Physical Fitness...................| 132 36
Dodging............................| 132 36
Arcane Symbols.....................| 25 5
Magic Item Use.....................| 58 12
Harness Power......................| 15 3
Survival...........................| 82 18
Perception.........................| 82 18
Climbing...........................| 40 8
Swimming...........................| 40 8
First Aid..........................| 82 18

I was thinking more MOC, and/or PF, but not sure how much to get.

Landrion
10-04-2006, 11:31 AM
The MOC. I forget how many ranks a focused double strike is. But you want it.

Drew
10-04-2006, 11:31 AM
Ambush will help you aim in the open, along with combat manuevers, but you don't have to 1x it. If you want to keep it at .5x and free up some points that would work.

Landrion
10-04-2006, 11:35 AM
The MOC. I forget how many ranks a focused double strike is. But you want it.

Here we go.

Focused MSTRIKE is first gained at 30 ranks of MOC, allowing the
character to swing twice at a single opponent. Thats the good stuff.

Morlian
10-04-2006, 11:41 AM
I had the ambush but I rarely use it just because it rarely takes me more than one or two swings to kill something anyway (so far). I was thinking I'd drop it and add more to MOC, since I'm already 2x in PF.

Another question I meant to ask and forgot - MIU and AS, how useful are they? I have some friends who can help with spells and the like, so was thinking about dropping those, upping HP a bit (for mana to use signs), and then using the rest of the points elsewhere.

TheEschaton
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Well, you're 17, so it's not a key issue now, but MIU and AS will be important in later trains in areas which require certain amounts of magic skills just to wear spells in them.

-TheE-

Morlian
10-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Well, you're 17, so it's not a key issue now, but MIU and AS will be important in later trains in areas which require certain amounts of magic skills just to wear spells in them.

Damn, that's right - now I remember why I was picking those ranks up. Been gone for ten months and I've forgotten a lot.

The Ponzzz
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
Ambush does NOT EVER help open ambushes. CMs do. AMbush is ONLY from hiding.

Ambush ONLY HELPS AIMING with ranged from the open!

El Burro
10-04-2006, 12:20 PM
Those area are waaaaay off for you.

Latrinsorm
10-04-2006, 01:25 PM
In fact, CM and ambush are the skills that help open aiming with melee weapons. CM, ambush, and perception are the skills that help hidden aiming. I don't know how ranged aiming works, but nobody cares about ranged anyway.

You don't need to aim shots at 17, but being able to aim a shot reliably is going to become very useful in the future.

Seeing as how warriors never need spells to begin with, you don't really need MIU or AS. They are handy skills in and of themselves, certainly, but I wouldn't get them just for spellburst.

I would recommend tripling armor to get to 80 ranks (MBP). It's a lot more convenient than swapping around between brig and chain depending on opponent.

Landrion
10-04-2006, 01:39 PM
I had the ambush but I rarely use it just because it rarely takes me more than one or two swings to kill something anyway (so far). I was thinking I'd drop it and add more to MOC, since I'm already 2x in PF.

Another question I meant to ask and forgot - MIU and AS, how useful are they? I have some friends who can help with spells and the like, so was thinking about dropping those, upping HP a bit (for mana to use signs), and then using the rest of the points elsewhere.

The good thing about MIU and AS is that when you pull something off a critter you can tell more about value the value of those items. Without the skills Ive probably sold lots of stuff to the pawn/gemshop that I could have done better on.

The Ponzzz
10-04-2006, 04:38 PM
I confirmed that AMBUSH does not help what so ever with open ambushes. It's purely perception and CMs. That's the written word!

mgoddess
10-04-2006, 04:40 PM
If you're going to drop the Ambush, get to at least 1x in MOC, triple your Armor to get up to 80 a.s.a.p (MBP ftw, even if I go against my own advice). Once you're Armor is at 80, you can go back down to 2x'ing, unless you're in an uber-hurry to get to plate.

I'd suggest choosing between Arcane Symbols or MIU. Either are good to have, both is sort of going overboard, especially if you've got magically-inclined friends. AS is handy for reading the scrolls you find and getting into the Broken Lands at around 30. MIU is good to have for imbeddibles.

If you want more mana, up your Harness Power ranks to 6-ish. 20 mana should be plenty...and when you get older, you can always drop the rankage back down to 3 (signs last longer when you get older, so you'll need less mana).

Latrinsorm
10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
I confirmed that AMBUSH does not help what so ever with open ambushes. It's purely perception and CMs. That's the written word!Confirmed how?

Landrion
10-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I confirmed that AMBUSH does not help what so ever with open ambushes. It's purely perception and CMs. That's the written word!

Ambush may be used with hiding or while in the open. When used from hiding, successful strikes may be much more lethal, and an opponent's defenses may be substantially reduced. The Ambush, Stalking and Hide, and Perception skills are recommended. When used from the open, the Ambush and Combat Maneuvers skills aid in achieving success.

http://www.play.net/gs4/info/combatguide.asp#Ambush

God knows, the play.net docs have been wrong before tho. But they seem to contradict you here Ponz.

Morlian
10-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I think I'll drop the MIU. I rarely hunt for spells as it is, mainly I use signs for hunting, although I don't turn them down. Most of my hunting has been in large ogres, even if they are a bit under for me - just hit 18 this morning, so going to find a new place to hunt now. I think I'll work on tripling armor now and keeping MOC at 1x.

Thanks again.

Stunseed
10-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Ocoma Vale is a good place at that train. Pumas (15), Wind Witches (16 I think ), Thunder Trolls (18), and Ogre Warriors (20). All easy to hunt, easy for guild reps, not sure about loot, I hunted them in Plat from 13-18.

Drew
10-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Since when?