PDA

View Full Version : Al Jazeera and MNF next week

Sean of the Thread
09-19-2006, 12:21 AM
CBS Pregame show says Al Jazeera has requested (and obtained) a Press Pass to cover Monday Night's game from New Orleans from the sidelines.

??????

Alfster
09-19-2006, 05:29 AM
It's a good PR move.

Hulkein
09-19-2006, 07:52 AM
Al Jazeera is a legit network in some areas, I'm pretty sure.

DeV
09-19-2006, 08:33 AM
They are legit.

Artha
09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
They're the freest media in the middle east and have a viewer base to rival BBC.

They're legit.

Sean of the Thread
09-19-2006, 09:17 AM
I wasn't suggesting some illegitimate reasoning behind it.. I personally found it odd that they decided to start coverning it this late into the season.

Atlanteax
09-19-2006, 10:07 AM
Week 3 is Late?

Doughboy
09-19-2006, 10:41 AM
It's also in New Orleans. You know, hurricane thing a year and change ago...it's still big news to show the aftermath of it, etc, etc.

Sean of the Thread
09-19-2006, 10:53 AM
Week 3 is Late?

It's 8 weeks late if you ask me about halfway serious coverage of the NFL. Tj Max has a sale on ties btw.

Sean of the Thread
09-19-2006, 10:54 AM
It's also in New Orleans. You know, hurricane thing a year and change ago...it's still big news to show the aftermath of it, etc, etc.

That was mainly what I was thinking.. but.. cover it.... not monday night football? How many easterners dig monday night football?

Goretawn
09-19-2006, 11:40 AM
It may be a "ligitimate news agency", but I do find it incredible how they just happen to know when, where, and who is setting up an IED so they can record it blowing up innocent civilians or American Soldiers. Regardless of how large its following is, I still am not a fan.

Artha
09-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Their reporters, I'd imagine, are largely arab. So they can more safely go outside, instead of staying in the Hilton in the Green Zone and reporting from a distance like most western media.

DeV
09-19-2006, 12:13 PM
To add to that, they have an international staff on hand in addition to the majority of reporters that originate from the Middle-East.

Interestingly enough, one of the press officers from United States Central Command went to work for them in 2004. Former BBC and CNN employees are also on staff. That's not saying much, but I think alot of the controversy surrounds their very limited censorship and what they broadcast to their viewer base. They're giving a different perspective and of course that will not always be welcomed, especially in a country like ours.

sst
09-20-2006, 02:04 AM
I dislike them since they dont check facts before reporting. That is a problem with most media outlets (incluiding ALL major US media) but Al Jazeera is worse in the terms of reporting the truth of the story. They are the most free news agencey in the mideast, but just like american media they pander to their audience and tell them what they want to hear.

Stanley Burrell
09-20-2006, 10:00 AM
The Twelve Disciples would be a badass name for an expansion team.

Could you imagine trying to play such a team?

(All players of <insert American football team here> huddle.)

"Alright, 23! I want you to cover Mohammed!"

"Which Mohammed?"

"Bearded Mohammed for the blitz."

"Which bearded Mohammed for the blitz!?"

I think the Disciples could definitely win the Mideast Division.