PDA

View Full Version : Pool

Artha
09-14-2006, 12:28 AM
I've been playing a lot recently (yay college) and would like to get better. With all the different experts in residence here, anyone have any tips?

Numbers
09-14-2006, 12:32 AM
It's like any other pseudo-sport. Play a lot, even if you're by yourself, and you'll get better. Don't go for the tricky shots at first, obviously. Just master the basic stuff and the rest will come naturally. There's not really a secret trick that'll make you a great player instantly.

TheEschaton
09-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Be good at math.

Oh, and a tip I have. No matter how close your target ball is, always concentrate on the cue ball. Line up your shot, figure out how you need to hit the cue, and then aim solely at the cue and concentrate on hitting it as you think you need to hit it. If you've made the right calculations, and you concentrate SOLELY ON HITTING THE CUE CORRECTLY, the consequence will be hitting the target more accurately.

It improved my game correctly.

Oh, and there's no correct grip, despite what elitists say. I have a couple different ones, based on whether I need power or smooth touch. Find some which are comfortable for you, no matter how much anyone else snickers.

-TheE-

Gan
09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
1. You dont have to slam every ball into the pocket to be good. Those that overpower every pocket shot are just hiding behind a bigger weakness.

2. When practicing by yourself, play full games where all you do is bankshot.

3. Dont worry about learning the tricks like jumping or masse. Stick with straightforward shots.

4. Once you can master sending the queue ball where you want it consistently, then work on backspin and english. Backspin first, then your left/right upper/lower english.

5. Practice games where you only use your striking hand, resting the stick on the edge of the felt. This will help the consistency of your striking arm motion and follow through.

6. Just have fun playing. There will be nights where you cant miss, and other nights where you cant make a single shot. Alcohol is a great way to take the nerves off, but only in moderation. You really dont get better after continued drinks, just drunker. (and sometimes poorer if you're betting)

7. Remember to trust your first judgement as your lining up the shot, and dont overthink it.

8. As you get comfortable with your shots, start thinking ahead to the next shot, then next 2 shots. This will help you with queue ball management as you work the table.

My 2 cents. Good luck, billards is a great game to play.

Alfster
09-14-2006, 09:02 AM
For me, the softer I shoot the better I shoot. Also, when you've got to hit the ball off a rail, don't be one of the retards who lines up their shot with their pool stick. I fucking hate that.

Sean of the Thread
09-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Ganalon is spot on.

I'd like to add take a wide stance and keep your head low to the cue. Def practice entire games by yourself making shots using 1 or 2 rails.

Sean of the Thread
09-14-2006, 09:04 AM
OH! Make sure your date always wears a short summer skirt of some sorts and a loose spaghetti strapped shirt.

Parkbandit
09-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Geometry = win

Just because a QB can throw 60 yards, doesn't mean he does it every play. It's all about touch and positioning the cue for your next shot. You should always hit with the next shot in mind or you'll end up losing.

radamanthys
09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Oh, and pick up a decent stick. You'll be happy that you did- it's a dramatic difference.

Daniel
09-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Lol @ the douche bags who show up to bars with their own personal stick and still suck ass.

Skeeter
09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
make sure you follow through your shots. I'd even over-exaggerate the follow through at first. if you're snapping your release your accuracy will suffer.

Gan
09-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Lol @ the douche bags who show up to bars with their own personal stick and still suck ass.

:lol: That usually means "take my money".

Having your own stick is nice, and if you're going to go out with a bunch of friends (who are also taking their sticks and for the purpose of shooting some marathon pool), yes, take your own stick and have a good time. If you're going to go solo and work on playing strangers, use house sticks, that way they wont keep bugging you to put some money on the table.

Wezas
09-14-2006, 11:17 AM
Lots of great tips. I'd also suggest if you're practicing to play defensively. Put the cue somewhere that they wont' have a good shot at anything.

That'll help you to play defensively and it'll help you figure out ways out of those positions.

Celephais
09-14-2006, 03:02 PM
For me, the softer I shoot the better I shoot. Also, when you've got to hit the ball off a rail, don't be one of the retards who lines up their shot with their pool stick. I fucking hate that.

Speed kills is my frequent motto for pool.

Another very important aspect is learning the "Dazed and Confused" speech when you're about to spank someone.

"You are a disgrace to the game of pool, and you are lucky I even let you play on my table" <No look shot for the win>

Sean of the Thread
09-14-2006, 03:09 PM
Defense is key.. play it well ... however some people will outright want to beat your ass for doing so.

Wezas
09-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I will occasionally do an intentional scratch if I don't have a decent shot and a scratch would make their lives miserable.

They usually want to kick my ass afterwards.

DeV
09-14-2006, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I will occasionally do an intentional scratch if I don't have a decent shot and a scratch would make their lives miserable.

They usually want to kick my ass afterwards.That's hilarious and a defense I never thought of using before.

Gan
09-14-2006, 04:14 PM

They usually want to kick my ass afterwards.

Only if you're playing 8 ball.

9 ball is another issue altogether.

Wezas
09-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Right, in 8-ball.

In 9-ball I try to make the next ball in sequence impossible to touch, let alone get in. If I don't have a decent shot, that is.

Sean of the Thread
09-14-2006, 04:27 PM
Most people around here play "ball in hand".. when you scratch the other gets to put the ball anywhere on the table.

Wezas
09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
In 9-ball it's ball-in-hand. In 8-ball you place it anywhere behind the second diamond.

At least everywhere I've seen it played.

Lonely friday nights are also ball-in-hand, but that's a totally different subject.

Gan
09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Most people around here play "ball in hand".. when you scratch the other gets to put the ball anywhere on the table.

Thats a fucked up way to play 8-ball.

Let me guess, you dont normaly call your shots and take any trash that falls in the pocket too?

Apathy
09-14-2006, 07:33 PM
I highly suggest drinking...but not a lot. A little booze can go a long way in relaxing your body to let you shoot smoothly.

A lot of booze is a disaster...unless you happen to be a good friend of mine who can be unable to stand, slurring his words, then still run the table. I hate playing pool with him.

And if its you're table, you are required by law to talk shit.

Janarth
09-14-2006, 08:08 PM
Right, in 8-ball.

In 9-ball I try to make the next ball in sequence impossible to touch, let alone get in. If I don't have a decent shot, that is.

Otherwise known as a safety?

And while Ganalon pretty much summed it up, my game really came together when I started "thinking two shots ahead" as he recomended in conjunction with mastering back and topspin and english. You can make one shot, and know where the cue needs to be the make the next, and so on and so on. When you can make the cue keep moving when you want it to, come off the rail shallow because you want it to, or stop when you want it to, you'll be money.

Hulkein
09-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Thats a fucked up way to play 8-ball.

Let me guess, you dont normaly call your shots and take any trash that falls in the pocket too?

Ball in hand is actually the official rule, even in 8-ball.

Gan
09-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Well shit. I've been playing it wrong all this time.

......... That doesnt mean I'm giving refunds.

Wezas
09-14-2006, 09:44 PM
Ball in hand is actually the official rule, even in 8-ball.

3.10 CUE BALL IN HAND BEHIND THE HEAD STRING
This situation applies in specific games whereby the opening break is administered or [b]a player’s scratching is penalized by the incoming player having cue ball in hand behind the head string. The incoming player may place the cue ball anywhere behind the head string. The shooting player may shoot at any object ball as long as the base of the object ball is on or below the head string[b]. He may not shoot at any ball, the base of which is above the head string, unless he first shoots the cue ball below the head string and then by hitting a rail causes the cue ball to come back above the head string and hit the object ball. etc. etc.

http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

Alfster
09-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Depending on which bar we're at we're either playing valley or straight 8. In straight 8 it's ball in hand when you scratch and in valley it's not.

edit - has anyone actually heard of playing, "bank the 8 ball"? We were up north in a town of maybe 300 people at a bar and after my partner ran the table on them they informed us that we were playing bank the 8 ball. Within 5 minutes the entire bar was throwing down

Gan
09-14-2006, 10:52 PM
That reminds me of playing girl poker where folks start calling odd cards 'wild'.

8-ball should be played straight up, call your shot. Scratches behind the head string. 8 on the break is a win.

9-ball should be played straight up, call your shot, any combo on the 9 wins. 9 on the break is a win.

Any other stupid way and I usually take my money and my game elsewhere.

Bobmuhthol
09-14-2006, 10:56 PM
<<8-ball should be played straight up, call your shot.>>

I've never played a game of 8-ball where any shot except the 8 was called.

Gan
09-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Calling your shot eliminates trash shots where someone just slams the queue ball down into a pocket of balls and then takes credit for one of theirs rolling in, and consequently another turn. ("I meant to do that")

Every shot is intentional. In the south, in the more seedy bars it was known by another name. I prefer to call it trash pool. When you put money down on a game, every shot better be intentional if you dont want to fight your way out the place.

Wezas
09-14-2006, 11:20 PM
I agree with everything Ganalon said in post #29. Reasoning:

I allow slop (trash shots) only if I'm playing girls (no offense, ladies) or inexperienced players who need the help. Anyone who's halfway skilled I don't expect to count a shot unless it's blatantly obvious that was the ball and pocket they were aiming for (or if they call it).

Any ball that's put in by "slop" is placed on the foot line. If you make a ball legit and also scratch, the ball is placed on the foot line. If you make a ball legit and another ball falls in additionally, it counts, because your initial shot was legit.

Daniel
09-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I've never played a game of 8-ball where any shot except the 8 was called.

Do you even have a driver's license?

Gan
09-15-2006, 01:01 AM
Artha, one piece of advice I forgot to mention.

Pay attention to the types of tables you're playing on. Table size will have a huge impact on your game.

1. There's the small quarter tables found in most bars.

2. Then there's the regulation size tables found in pool halls where you rent the actual table. <This is what you want to practice/play on>

3. Then, if you really want to polish your game, play standard 8 ball on a snook table where there's miles of green and the pockets are smaller.

Shari
09-15-2006, 01:16 AM
I believe the smallest pocket size is what...4 5/8", right? My dad has a regulation sized table and the bastard made sure to get the tightest pockets he could.

Which is good because now any time I play on another table it seems like cake.

I'd like to say I'm okay (I'd kick Wezas' ass and I *don't* accept slop shots for another play) and I can't really offer any more advice than Pool Shark Ganalon already gave.

The two things that have helped me immensely are: geometry IS YOUR FRIEND. And take a stance really low to the table. Try and line your line of sight up to the ball, and the hole you are shooting for.

Sweaty hands while playing pool=teh sux. If you aren't playing at a bar, try and get your hands on some chalk.

Oh, and work on breaking...nothing is sadder than watching some thick-necked jackass swagger up to a table and break a rack like a 13 year old girl.

Artha
09-15-2006, 01:17 AM
I'm pretty sure the tables at the campus pool hall are regulation, they cost like $3/hour ftw. These tips are all pretty awesome.

Gan
09-15-2006, 01:53 AM
I'd like to say I'm okay (I'd kick Wezas' ass and I *don't* accept slop shots for another play) and I can't really offer any more advice than Pool Shark Ganalon already gave.

ROFL, perhaps a shark in my own mind. I know many who are better, I've just played it a lot. For a long time :( . I think I started playing for money (small bills) when I was a soph in high school. College years were my haydays. I lived at a place called Clicks in College Station (and Yesterday's). No matter how good you are though, you'll always run across someone who's better, or you'll have a night where nothing will drop. Marriage and now kids have put an end to those kinds of entertainments.

<The chalk advice> Chalk is good, but in moderation. You dont need to slather it on like lotion.

Oh, and work on breaking...nothing is sadder than watching some thick-necked jackass swagger up to a table and break a rack like a 13 year old girl.

:rofl: Amen sistah. Its also sad when they plow up a yard of felt by trying to send the queue into orbit.

Oh, a nice tight rack is something to strive for when you're setting up. Just dont tap the 8 ball into the table when you're tightening up the rack, its a rookie move. Classy establishments will run you out for denting their tables.

Shari
09-15-2006, 02:28 AM
Heh, you sound just like my dad, Ganalon.

Artha
09-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Oh, a nice tight rack is something to strive for...
As true in pool as it is in life.

Gan
09-15-2006, 09:47 AM
Heh, you sound just like my dad, Ganalon.

Oh man, next thing you know you'll be making mini-van jokes at me and other PB related miseries.

:(

Edited to add: I've even given my prize stick to my nephew who's developed a passion and some decent skill for the game. And for sentimental reasons, he's in College Station too.

Wezas
09-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Yeah, I cringe when I'm playing with someone who offers to rack and as soon as they pull away I see a few move.

English is your friend, but use it in moderation until you use it well. Nothing worse than someone putting too much back english on a ball and it rolling right back to the pocket in front of them.

Hulkein
09-15-2006, 01:05 PM
http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml

I've read rules that say otherwise, guess it's not set in stone. I personally don't play ball in hand for 8-ball, just know that the rule book I have says you should.

Gan
09-15-2006, 01:42 PM
ball in hand, open table scratch would make for a very quick game of 8 ball.