PDA

View Full Version : Cobbling?

thornhappy
09-02-2006, 07:24 PM
So.. anyone undertake this yet?

Latrinsorm
09-02-2006, 08:21 PM
Nilandia made one and I made one.

They're really easy to write, I encourage you to give it a whirl.

thornhappy
09-02-2006, 09:29 PM
I stink at anything beyond the basics. heh. Anyone who wants to send me one will be revered, etc.

JRF52084
12-15-2006, 06:38 PM
I have tried writing a script for cobbling but I stink at it. Anyone happen to have a script that works in the landing? Realy getting tired of doing it all by hand. Thanks.

AestheticDeath
12-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Could have sworn Nilandia made hers public - might ask her.

- After looking, I think I was mistaken. But apparantly she did make a fairly involved script. I would still ask her.

Nilandia
12-16-2006, 04:03 AM
Yep, I posted it on the boards a while back on the cobbling thread. If anyone's still looking for it, drop me a line and I'll get it to you.

Gretchen

Nilandia
12-17-2006, 12:44 AM
I've had a few requests for the script, but since it won't fit in a PM, I'll post it here.

The script is intended to be generic and usable by people running the Wizard or Stormfront. All you'll need to do is replace the stuff in parentheses with what it reads. For example, you'll replace (uppers material) with the material you use for your uppers.

The script will make a pair of shoes, including adding soles, giving you two chances to get a rank per pair. Once it's finished, it will put the shoes in the nearby wastebasket and cycle back to begin again.

There are times where the script will hang up on something. You can try inputting the next command in the script to see if that will get you unstuck. If that doesn't work, feel free to contact me by PM, IM or e-mail to see if we can figure out what happened.

The script also will input a number of commands at once at certain points. This relies on Psinet's utility where it will delay commands from being entered so it won't exceed the typeahead limit. If you do not run Psinet or the utility, inserting a pause every two commands should alleviate any problems.

As always, if you have any questions/problems/flames/etc, shoot me a PM, IM or e-mail and we'll see what we can do!

Gretchen

Nilandia
12-17-2006, 12:46 AM
A bit of advice for people running the script. I recommend going in with about 25 pieces of uppers material, 25 pieces of soles material and 5 pieces of chalk, in addition to your book of patterns, measuring cord and cutting knife. That should keep you supplied enough to last the whole 2 hours. If you have a wizard with you to keep you hasted constantly, you may need to run out to resupply if you're going fast enough, but normally you shouldn't have any problems.

Gretchen

AestheticDeath
12-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Thanks!

thornhappy
12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Thank you. And since I am too lazy to look, where exactly are the cobbling shops? I'm especially wondering about Ta'Vaalor/Illistim and the Landing.

Nilandia
12-21-2006, 07:00 PM
There are three. The Landing's is the warehouse straight east from the bridge in town. There's a cobbler's cobby in the southern part of Cysaegir on the forest floor, and there's a patio east of the drawbridge outside of River's Rest that leads to the third cobbling workshop.

Gretchen

Revalos
01-02-2007, 05:35 PM
After 15 months away from GS, I decided I'd return as long as I didn't have to hunt that wretched stronghold, so I figured I'd learn cobbling. That script definately saved me some serious trouble getting started. I have a question though...I get the message that I've got enough skill to demonstrate to the foreman to be promoted, but each shoe I bring to him he tells me that it isn't good enough. Am I looking for a particular adjective modifier that will let me know if I can bring it to him?

A related question would be that each time I get the message that I should visit the foreman, am I still gaining ranks? The first time it showed up was at rank 49, and it has showed up on three subsequent shoes for a total of 6 more times.

Any help would be great! And you rock for making a script for this tedious task, Nilandia!

Nilandia
01-02-2007, 06:20 PM
I get the message that I've got enough skill to demonstrate to the foreman to be promoted, but each shoe I bring to him he tells me that it isn't good enough. Am I looking for a particular adjective modifier that will let me know if I can bring it to him?

A related question would be that each time I get the message that I should visit the foreman, am I still gaining ranks? The first time it showed up was at rank 49, and it has showed up on three subsequent shoes for a total of 6 more times.

You'll need to present your best work possible at your skill level. You'll need to use either the most expensive pelts sold in the shop with light sole leather or magnificent pelts that have been cured in oil. Using those, you'll need to get shoes with a nice smooth welt on the sole and that have turned out particularly well.

If your shoes aren't of the right quality, the foreman will tell you the quality shoes you need. For example, here's one I got while taking Lisera through the ranks, with added emphasis for the quality sought.

The foreman looks over a pair of passable rat pelt boots carefully, examining each point of the construction and finish. Upon completing his inspection, he returns your rat pelt boots, shaking his head. "I don't think everything quite came together with these. Seems that you understand the theory well enough, but those boots' quality doesn't meet my standards. With your skill, you should be able to stretch yourself and craft boots of fine quality."

Past that, you can appraise your shoes to figure out their quality. You'll get a message like such.

You turn the rat pelt boots over in your hands, meticulously appraising its quality. You estimate that the rat pelt boots are of fine quality and intended as footwear. You recognize the boots as your handiwork.

While you're trying to make your best quality shoes, you won't get any ranks, unfortunately. That's why I tend to bring out my good quality leathers when I'm 5 ranks before the skill check so I don't waste my opportunities to get ranks.

Gretchen

Revalos
01-02-2007, 11:29 PM
Coolness! Well, I'm glad I didn't waste too much time. I went to send some rolton pelts to get tanned and...wow, two weeks RL time to get it back...maybe they'll be ready for the next skill check...heh. Appraisal is good to know about too.

One final question, I was looking on the official boards and noticed people saying you can only learn 24 cobbling patterns ever. Can I just get the basic 4 and do all the necessary work to master, then make my decision or do I need to figure out when I have to go to other shops or save up for future releases?

Thanks again!

-Revalos' player

Nilandia
01-03-2007, 12:01 AM
You have the potential to learn the new patterns, but you do not have to learn them right at that moment. Lisera is at 496 ranks (mostly cause I'm too lazy to finish the last ranks), and she can learn advanced patterns, but I've chosen not to, in case more are released in the future.

Gretchen

shaunbecca
01-16-2007, 08:38 AM
having problems with the script I don't really use them much so I do not know where to start.

This is the problem it always seems to hang after the first stow my patterns...Leaves me with chalk in hand....so I manual stow chalk but script never picks back up

Nilandia
01-16-2007, 01:52 PM
If you could turn your local echo on and paste me the part where it hangs, as well as the portion of the script that's giving you problems?

Gretchen

shaunbecca
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
not to sound like a total newbie at this but if local echo is checked does that mean it is on?

shaunbecca
01-16-2007, 02:51 PM
[Script cobbling is running, Esc to cancel, Shift-Esc to pause]
>get my hide
>put my hide on worktable
You remove a tanned panther hide from in your snow-white cloak.
>get my patterns
You put a tanned panther hide on a sturdy oak worktable.
>flip patterns 1
You remove a black leather book of patterns from in your snow-white cloak.
>get my chalk
You flip through the book of patterns to page 1, which contains the pattern for a pair of shoes.
>gaze my pattern
You remove a wedge of greyish white chalk from in your snow-white cloak.
>
You study the pattern for a pair of shoes and carefully use your greyish white chalk to trace the pieces for the upper onto a tanned panther hide you placed on a sturdy oak worktable.
Roundtime: 48 sec.
R>stow my patterns
You put a black leather book of patterns in your snow-white cloak.
>
This is where it stops everytime

This is how the script looks

Start:
put get my hide
put put my hide on worktable
put get my patterns
put flip patterns 1
Patternselectionhide:
put get my chalk
put gaze my pattern
match patternhideflip As you study the pattern, a current of air flips the page over in your book of patterns, interrupting your work.
match patternhideflip Your attention wanders as you attempt to copy the pattern, and when you look down at the marks you have made on
match patternchalkhide the chalk slips awkwardly from your hand, chipping off some pieces as it falls to the floor.
match patternchalkhide You press down with your chalk at an awkward angle, shattering off a large piece before you can copy the pattern.
match patternhide carefully use your greyish white chalk to trace the pieces for the upper
match patternhide you realize that it is already marked with that pattern!
matchwait

Patternchalkhide:
pause
put get grey chalk
match patternselectionhide You pick up a wedge of greyish white chalk.
match patternselectionhide You remove a wedge of greyish white chalk from in your
match patternselectionhide You already have that.
match patternchalkhidewait ...wait
matchwait

Patternchalkhidewait:
pause 3
put get grey chalk
match patternselectionhide You remove a wedge of greyish white chalk from in your
match patternchalkhidewaitagain ...wait
matchwait

Patternchalkhidewaitagain:
pause 3
put get grey chalk
match patternchalkhidewait ...wait
matchwait

Patternhideflip:
pause
put flip pattern 1
match patternselectionhide You flip through the book of patterns to page
match patternhideflipwait ...wait
matchwait

Patternhideflipwait:
pause 3
put flip pattern 1
match patternhideflipwaitagain ...wait
matchwait

Patternhideflipwaitagain:
pause 3
put flip pattern 1
match patternhideflip ...wait
matchwait

Patternhide:
pause
put stow my patterns
match stowpatternshide You put black leather book of patterns in your
match stowpatternshidewait ...wait
matchwait

Stowpatternshidewait:
pause 3
put stow my patterns
match stowpatternshidewaitagain ...wait
matchwait

Stowpatternshidewaitagain:
pause 3
put stow my patterns
match stowpatternshidewait ...wait
matchwait

Stowpatternshide:
put stow my chalk

El Burro
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
in the script, it should read "You put a black leather book of patterns in your" See the missing "a"?

shaunbecca
01-16-2007, 03:22 PM
ok I see that but it will stow the patterns it just hangs after that with me holding the chalk in my hand

Nilandia
01-16-2007, 04:24 PM
ElBurro has it right.

The script is waiting for "You put black leather book of patterns in your" to appear in your game window. You'll need to change it to "You put a black leather book of patterns in your" (without the bolding, of course).

It will stow the patterns just fine, but the text it's looking for isn't matching the text you're seeing, and that's why it's getting stuck.

Gretchen

shaunbecca
01-16-2007, 04:26 PM
okay I will fix that and give it a shot thanks

TheEschaton
01-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Also, you might look at this:

Patternhide:
pause
put stow my patterns

I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure there's no "pause" command per se, it needs to have a number argument. WAIT would be what you need for waiting for the next command from the wizard.

-TheE-

Bobmuhthol
01-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Pause without a set amount defaults to 1.

And there is no wait command..?

TheEschaton
01-16-2007, 08:17 PM
I must be thinking in zMUD again.

-TheE-

shaunbecca
01-16-2007, 09:20 PM
Well changing the wording fixed the first issue now there seems to be another this time at the part of the script during the joining process

'''''''''''''''''''This is the way the script looks'''''''''''''''''''''

Soles:
put join leather with hide
pause
put join shoes on form
match join1 are far enough along to add ornamentation, if you wish.
match join1wait ...wait
matchwait

Join1wait:
pause 3
put join shoes on form
match join1waitagain ...wait
matchwait

Join1waitagain:
pause 3
put join shoes on form
match join1wait ...wait
matchwait

Join1:
pause
put join shoes on form
match join2 Bits of thread litter the top of the worktable as you carefully continue to work on your shoe.
match join2 You work easily and smoothly, pulling the pieces of unfinished
match join2wait ...wait
matchwait

Join2wait:
pause 3
put join shoes on form
match join2 Bits of thread litter the top of the worktable as you carefully continue to work on your shoe.
match join2waitagain ...wait
matchwait

Join2waitagain:
pause 3
put join shoes on form
match join2wait ...wait
matchwait

Join2:
pause
put join shoes on form
match join3 Just a few more stitches and you will be able to examine the results of your hard labor.
match join3 As you near completion, your needle moves effortlessly through the unfinished
match join3wait ...wait
matchwait

Join3wait:
pause 3
put join shoes on form
match join3 Just a few more stitches and you will be able to examine the results of your hard labor.
match join3 As you near completion, your needle moves effortlessly through the unfinished
match join3waitagain ...wait
matchwait

Join3waitagain:
pause 3
put join shoes on form
match join3wait ...wait
matchwait

Join3:
pause
put take shoes on form
match boots from on a sturdy shoe form.
match bootswait ...wait
matchwait

Bootswait:
pause 3
put take shoes on form
match bootswaitagain ...wait
matchwait

Bootswaitagain:
pause 3
put take shoes on form
match bootswait ...wait
matchwait

Boots:
put put shoes in back
goto Start

''''''''''''''This is what happens''''''''''''''''''''''''''
You put a short cutting knife in your snow-white cloak.
>get hide on work
You remove a tanned panther hide from on a sturdy oak worktable.
>put hide on form
You put a tanned panther hide on a sturdy shoe form.
>join hide on form
You can't help but feel like a drudge as you reach over, grab a needle from the tool rack, drop it, pick it up and drop it once again. With practice you will probably be able to thread the needle without having to focus all of your will on the task.
Roundtime: 44 sec.
R>get leather on work
You remove some medium tanned leather from on a sturdy oak worktable.
>join leather with hide
You carefully attach the sole to the shoes you are working on. You examine your work and feel pleased by the smooth welt.
Roundtime: 44 sec.
R>
Under your hands, a pair of unfinished shoes begins to take shape.
R>join shoes on form
You continue to cobble together a pair of shoes. The work at this point feels long and tedious.
Roundtime: 46 sec.
R>

It just hangs there so I have to manually finish the joining process
I have tried rewording it but I am not sure what to change. The posted section of script is orginal as written by author

Nilandia
01-17-2007, 12:16 AM
It looks like it's a missing match that's hanging it up. I made the script based on what I saw starting at 200 ranks, so I'm missing the matches for people who started earlier.

Looking at what you've got here, you'll need to go to the spot you have pasted and go to where you see the line "match join1 are far enough along to add ornamentation, if you wish." Make a new line after that and put this in. "match join1 You continue to cobble together a pair of"

Remove the quotes, of course.

Gretchen

Revalos
01-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Just at about 380 ranks now and things are slowing down pretty dramatically regarding ranks per session (down 5 or so per 2 hour block). I've been using a tweaked version of your original script, Nilandia, where I put variables in for pelt type and footwear type but it doesn't work as well as your original one for some reason.

But I was wondering if I might be better off to start doing the ornamentation step to get that extra rank attempt. That isn't in your script, but I could maybe see how to get it in there. Is it worth it though? Or is it just more efficient to go with the 2 rank attempts per shoe until I master?

Nilandia
01-20-2007, 08:56 PM
I'd say it's personal preference. The work itself shouldn't be too bad, given you only have to hold your material and your patterns and then GAZE PATTERN, but you'd have to take cost into account as well as the time involved. You'd need to buy a pattern for the ornamentation, as well as the materials for the work (I'm thinking silk laces or something like that).

Laces in the Landing cost 100 for rawhide and 200 for silk. They cost around 125 for sinew in the Rest or cotton in Cysaegir.

Gretchen