PDA

View Full Version : Role-Playing Plots.

Rue
08-31-2006, 01:12 PM
Role-Play Plots~

Is there a section to read that has some of the character run Role Playing Plots going on? Or a place to post idea's for plots to get started by characters?

I have had a few oppunities where I really wanted other characters, (Ones I have no bloody clue of in any other form and don't want to know in any other way.), That I have made me think, "Wow you know it would be so cool if we started this story line and they stuck with it and we developed a plot". But without gaining consent first or stepping OOC to ask if they want to try the plot, it has proven fruitile. Also I would hate to interfere with a plot already transpiring and ruin someone elses fun :devilsmile: Or. . . Do I. ANYHOW.... Just wondering if there is a thread in exsistance that I just am to blind to see.

Gan
08-31-2006, 01:17 PM
Try spontanaety.

Initiate the RP... see if you can lead it enough to let it move under its own steam, and then see what interesting things the other person introduces. It could take your initially imagined plot and go in a totally unpredictable and fantastical direction.

Or it could lead to the following:

xxx whispers: "Hey, lets cyber!".

The key is, you never will find out where it leads unless you give it a chance. (not the cybering part... :lol: )

Hips
08-31-2006, 01:18 PM
There might be a section on the official boards. I'm pretty sure there is one for Platinum.

I don't think there is one on these boards, however. Good luck if you decide to get one started... I would definitely be interested. Michiko, Jolena, Stunseed, Keyvon, Inaara, Jaysehn, Gaerit, and Sherinas had an awesome one going earlier in the spring but it's kind of died off since then. I'm determined to revive it with Keyvon's shadowbaby, though. :lol:

Jolena
08-31-2006, 02:05 PM
Yah that was way fun. The one with Querthose and crew in Vaalor was player-run as well, and it got some GM attention. Everyone involved in that one had a lot of fun, from what I could tell.

Stanley Burrell
08-31-2006, 02:27 PM
Don't work on a 82,000 letter backstory.

Some backstory = O.K.

Too much = bad + frustration.

You will very rarely receive the oppurtunity to find an adventurer patient enough to listen to a character's history when their mind have absorbed to become clear.

Learn to roleplay the present with verbs like, i.e., GLANCE SURREPTITIOUS and SIMPER.

No one questions the motives of a surreptitious simperer.

Asha
08-31-2006, 02:29 PM
No one questions the motives of a surreptitious simperer.
There's no truth more true than that.
I'm thinking of starting an empath sowing circle storyline. You in?

Stanley Burrell
08-31-2006, 02:31 PM
I had to re-roll Fwuffilywuffily and am still recovering from this saddening loss.

I'll... Think about it :sniffle:

Nilandia
08-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Yah that was way fun. The one with Querthose and crew in Vaalor was player-run as well, and it got some GM attention. Everyone involved in that one had a lot of fun, from what I could tell.
For the record, this storyline is still going on, but on hiatus. One of the initial members has had to resign, and another is having major internet problems.

Gretchen

StrayRogue
08-31-2006, 03:08 PM
Gotta love IC reasons for a storyline to "pause".

Anebriated
08-31-2006, 03:24 PM
LOL, how many times did the GSS or Thurfels Quest or any of the other storylines they had back in the day take pauses.... I dont think I remember any of them going straight through with no break or holdup.

Kainen
08-31-2006, 03:28 PM
There's no truth more true than that.
I'm thinking of starting an empath sowing circle storyline. You in?

I'll bring Kittylove :)

HarmNone
08-31-2006, 03:38 PM
By putting this thread in Roleplaying and giving it a pertinent title, you've created just what you're looking for here, Rue. Hopefully, you'll get some interest going and can develop something, or you can join something that is ongoing. :)

Zult
08-31-2006, 04:19 PM
Wow.. I'm actually going to reply. Neat.

I have a player-run storyline or five going right now.. There are probably close to 15-20 people that are or were involved with it at some point though it might not seem like it sometimes.

www.cultofzult.com (http://www.cultofzult.com)

Check it out if you've got some time to kill..

-Zult

Celexei
08-31-2006, 09:06 PM
I've been involved with a few player run RP's back in the day, but It's been hard for me to find others to RP with around the lands. I've kind of isolated myself to Teras and I RP with my tiger for the most part, cause that's the closest I can get to an actual RP response most times. I'm very highly interested in starting up a storyline with all others that are up for the task!

-Elanywn & Kiki

Rue
08-31-2006, 10:04 PM
I agree history being to long can be difficult to follow. My problem actually lies in the fact of being a newbie to GS but not to RP. I really want to encourage all kinds of RP but lack of knowledge makes it a biotch. So here we go, let’s throw a chaos factor out, and hope someone else wants to pick up on this just to see where it goes. Even if this seems against my better judgment to do, let’s do it anyways. (OH and Zult how very cool. Without realizing it, we have very similar histories to each other, for different reasons.(or is it?.)

The room was sparse and empty of any personal belongings. Just a room. A dark elf awoke with barely anything more then clothing of a pauper on her back and no memory of who she was. After roaming the streets of Vaalor for sometime one main thing became apparent, Ta'vaalor was not a good place to start looking for answers. Who ever did this to her, knew what they were doing. The residents openly disliked dark elven and would rather see a body defecated on before helping it in anyway. But not from every one of them, there were a pair of giants and a thief who saw the obvious lost in her eyes. The couple offered sage words of advise and the thief helped her find a guide after explaining the best place to start would be the armpit of the lands. All creeds or all things are found there passing at one time or another through the Landing.
SO what was it that caused her to have her mind wiped completely? Wiped so completely that all other religions ,outside of Eorgina’s, often have had to be explained to her more then once. She urges kindred to unite (not exactly sure of why they are not already united but is learning quickly) . . . and has entertained companionships, but as to what is the truth to her history? Is she someone that holds such a horrible secret that they had to do this? Why keep her alive then? These are questions gone unanswered no matter how long she searchs. Most likely she is no one, but every now an again a familiar face appears and acts as if they do know and are checking to ensure she doesn't. [/color]

YOUR MISSION should you decide to jump in on this plot line is to come up with the why and convince Telsas as to the reason. There is no set history (yet). Please don’t get upset if the idea gets rejected or discredited , She has heard the “You were a slave in my bed” a few times already and is a bit smarter then that. I look forward to all the possibilities, but please keep things IC and believable and parts to it playable. If a discussion on it needs to be had, feel free to post questions or comments.

Also make note: For better or worse, I really am a newbie and slightly naïve, have a little pity on the simple and all to common of a start plot.

Eoghain
09-01-2006, 01:50 AM
YOUR MISSION should you decide to jump in on this plot line is to come up with the why and convince Telsas as to the reason. There is no set history (yet). Please don’t get upset if the idea gets rejected or discredited , She has heard the “You were a slave in my bed” a few times already and is a bit smarter then that. [/color]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. GODS I LOVE TA'VAALOR!

Celexei
09-01-2006, 05:52 AM
Just in my opinion...of one of which I'd love to be helpful and beneficial to you and your RP. But it would be best suited to pursue this IG rather than on the boards. That way it allows you to actually be in character and allows you to RP. f you're interested in setting up just backstory via RP on the boards..we could do that too, but I think you're own personal enjoyment (although who am I to say) would come from seeking this out actually IG! Good luck and if you want someone to come and show ya around, help ya a bit with this, and get a bit of ideas. IM me at Elanywn

Stunseed
09-01-2006, 06:36 AM
It's also great to get constructive feedback for your ideas. On the officials, there's a thread called "Thoughts on Roleplaying" where a few very talented RP'ers post ( Evelith comes to mind off the top ). Filter through the GM taint-licking posts, and posts made a few morons ( there's a list of said idiots on the boards, I'll edit the thread here ), and you should be golden.

Zult
09-01-2006, 07:55 AM
(OH and Zult how very cool. Without realizing it, we have very similar histories to each other, for different reasons.(or is it?.)

Unfortunately it seems like the amnesia thing is done to death sometimes.. When I started out with that, it was a completely spontaneous thing and I didn't realize so many people had done it.. Since then I've met about a dozen people with that "I've forgotten everything" history. Some people are just using it to buy time while they come up with a decent history, some people are too lazy to bother, and others are covering for character purchasing.

One of the goals for my cult storyline(s) is to offer people an opportunity to create histories for their characters and to help their own personal storylines along.. If more people are exposed to an existing storyline, it should be easier to get it going again.. I've had a few people who have had ideas for their characters but they weren't sure how to implement them.. hm.. Foxlyn is probably the best example of that if you take a look at the website. She came to me with her character's history and we managed to come up with a way to complete it and tie up some loose ends with her character's family. We got a handful of other people involved in some of our interactions in Icemule, wrote a story with another person, and she even started a journal to document her progress. I would love to do things like that for more people, so if you're interested.. let me know.

-Zult

TheEschaton
09-01-2006, 08:17 AM
and others are covering for character purchasing.

This is actually what I think every time I come across an amnesiac in the game. Just a warning, Rue.

-TheE-

Caede
09-01-2006, 09:21 AM
I came back from a lengthy (4-5 year) absence from GS back in January, and Telsas was one of the first people I bumped into regularly this spring. While we've never interacted a lot (except vague threats that somewhere down the line, my cleric is going to have to rough her up for her evil ways), I was incredibly pleased to see a new GS player actually role-playing. For some reason, I thought that GS was pretty much at the point where it was just recycling old folks into new characters. I was very happy to see some new blood in-game. (I've since bumped into quite a few brand new players, of course, but for the most part I think that GS is in the recycling-only phase.)

I'll second the idea that you should try posting this on the Official boards in the RP folder -- you may get some good advice there.

The next time I run into you, I'll gladly play against your forgetfullness... otherwise, I haven't much else to add.

Zult
09-01-2006, 09:42 AM
I would agree with you there. There weren't nearly as many fresh faces this summer as there were last summer.. but I don't think it matters as far as roleplay is concerned. For my part, I would rather not know that one person controls multiple characters. When I'm interacting with people, I consider them all to be individuals and the player behind them doesn't matter. So even old people reincarnated can still be new IC. I think it's much more fun that way.. though I do love when people whisper to me "I'm actually soandso" and I get to whisper back "That's nice.. I don't care.".. Heh.. I have a theory going that Icemule is/was populated by about 10 actual players.. but it depresses the hell out of me to think about it.. so ignorance is bliss.

-Zult

Stunseed
09-01-2006, 09:44 AM
< I have a theory going that Icemule is/was populated by about 10 actual players.. but it depresses the hell out of me to think about it.. so ignorance is bliss. >

What's scary is Ralagar is 4 of the 10. That should creep you out for the day.

Rue
09-02-2006, 11:13 AM
I want to thank everyone for the advice, offers of help, and for taking the time to respond. I have been playing since the end of May and believe to finally gotten the basic's down for the most part. However, my knowledge of history, what race does what to who and deities is slow coming. So I knowingly used the amnesia cop out to cover my lack of knowledge. The whole point to posting the plot was to encourage others to be bold and try something crazy. Drag her to Dhe'Nar far from the landing telling her that the time has come for her to learn who she is..... Perhaps She is Noble that pissed someone off so they paid for her to be "taken care" of. . . . OR perhaps it was an accident and they have been looking for her and take the time to re-familiar her with some strange family.
Who knows, but this is how it stands for now till someone actually recongizes Telsas or I find an on going plot to step into and screw up ;). Thank you again for all the help and Private messages offering help.

Apathy
09-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Wow.. I'm actually going to reply. Neat.

I have a player-run storyline or five going right now.. There are probably close to 15-20 people that are or were involved with it at some point though it might not seem like it sometimes.

www.cultofzult.com (http://www.cultofzult.com)

Check it out if you've got some time to kill..

-Zult

One of the better pages I've seen in a while...ditch the Star Wars music tho :)

Zult
09-02-2006, 10:06 PM
One of the better pages I've seen in a while...ditch the Star Wars music tho :)

Haha.. Yeah.. that's been up there for a while and I just couldn't resist. I'm due for a new intro flash. I might use the one that's up there called Teaser.. or just make another one. Glad you liked the site though.

-Zult, recruiting like a madman.. almost no pun intended.