PDA

View Full Version : Squelching Vs. Ignoring

Zir
10-30-2003, 06:38 PM
CrystalTears speaks for Zir

How do you handle people that you wish to no longer deal with? Do you squelch people, certain statements, or are you the kind of person who feels that squelching is an OOC tactic and would rather roleplay ignoring the person or action instead?

Discuss here. :)

Originally posted by DCSL
That's such a glib and apathetic response, Zir, I'm tempted to ignore it.

I've never 'squelched' anyone, EVER, in the game. In fact, I don't even know how to do it. There are very few instances that would cause me to completely ignore someone... I can't think of any examples now, but I'm sure there are a couple... just not many.

Besides, the rest of Jolena's actions and RP are quite acceptable, well-done in fact. Ignoring all of it for one annoying and OOC (in my opinion) action would make me like the assholes in Seinfeld (the show) that dump perfectly nice and attractive people for one itty bitty slightly irritating quality.

It's perfectly within my charcter's bounds to ignore someone's actions.

[Edited on 10/31/2003 by CrystalTears]

StrayRogue
10-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Yes, but squelching them is not IC.

Zir
10-30-2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
Yes, but squelching them is not IC.

That really depends on how you look at it.

StrayRogue
10-30-2003, 06:43 PM
Ok, from an IC perspective, using squelch is OOC. How in reality can you block a person? You can ignore them yes, but can you stop yourself from seeing them or hearing them? No.

Zir
10-30-2003, 06:48 PM
So, whenever I see they're in the room I turn away, or pull my hood down low or any number of ways to avoid seeing their actions.

StrayRogue
10-30-2003, 06:51 PM
What about hearing them?

Zir
10-30-2003, 06:54 PM
Haven't you ever tuned someone out?

StrayRogue
10-30-2003, 06:57 PM
Not so much I couldn't hear or see them, no.

Zir
10-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Whoo, I started a topic while I was gone...heh.

GSLeloo
10-30-2003, 07:15 PM
I've tuned people out before. Or just zoned out to the point that I couldn't hear them anymore.

Betheny
10-30-2003, 07:42 PM
i've squelched jackasses before.

When I'm so frustrated it's either logout and be angry, or squelch them, I'll pick squelch. Yet I am not a coward.

Stray, if you don't use the goddamn thing, fine, bu t don't call people cowards because they don't like to deal with retards.

StrayRogue
10-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Don't or can't? Ignorance is bliss, no? If you can't see it, it isn't happening, no?

Caiylania
10-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I agree with Stray in that to me it is OOC. I can understand someone wanting to use it but I never will. No matter how much you can 'tune' someone out, I think its just not... ig.

and his point is valid, how do you know they aren't going to say something you might actually find important later?

CrystalTears
10-30-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Caiylania
and his point is valid, how do you know they aren't going to say something you might actually find important later?

I don't squelch, but I can almost guarantee of maybe a handful of characters who will NEVER have anything I may want to hear. :D

DCSL
10-30-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Zir

Originally posted by DCSL
That's such a glib and apathetic response, Zir, I'm tempted to ignore it.

I've never 'squelched' anyone, EVER, in the game. In fact, I don't even know how to do it. There are very few instances that would cause me to completely ignore someone... I can't think of any examples now, but I'm sure there are a couple... just not many.

Besides, the rest of Jolena's actions and RP are quite acceptable, well-done in fact. Ignoring all of it for one annoying and OOC (in my opinion) action would make me like the assholes in Seinfeld (the show) that dump perfectly nice and attractive people for one itty bitty slightly irritating quality.

It's perfectly within my charcter's bounds to ignore someone's actions.

[Edited on 10/31/2003 by CrystalTears]

I... really have no idea what you're responding to in the above quote. You leave me with a little feeling of 'que?' I never said it was not within your character's bounds to ignore someone.

All I said is that I think it would be wrong of me to ignore her entirely over something mildly irritating that doesn't happen that often. Really, what are you talking about?

Dighn Darkbeam
10-30-2003, 10:28 PM
There is the Ignore verb. That coupled with a temporary use of the squelch tool is IC in my opinion.

You turn away from Pakra'aePete, ignoring him.

Soulpieced
10-31-2003, 12:04 AM
I have annoying actions squealched. However, it's not possible to squealch a person completely, because that causes problems with the FE and you'll see a blank space where they should be. So you know they are there and such, thus defeating the purpose of squealching in the first place.