PDA

View Full Version : What Class to play?

DrZaius
08-18-2006, 10:37 AM
Probably a fairly common topic, but I figured I'd ask it anyway. I'm joining a group of friends on one of the new servers, but they're already a little established. They seem to have one of everything already (warrior, priest, mage, rogue, hunter.. that's all I can remember). What could I play that could add best to a group that already has most of the classes covered? They're Alliance, so no shamans : )

Thanks

StrayRogue
08-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Warrior or Priest. But anything but rogue (or hunter) are generally useful.

DrZaius
08-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks; I was leaning towards Warrior. Since my friend is going to be tanking, would it be worth it to go for a Fury build, or just the bread and butter MS build?

StrayRogue
08-18-2006, 10:52 AM
DPS warriors are always fun.

Wezas
08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I started as a Pally (of course got bored), tried a rogue (loved him, capped, still play), and started up a warrior and priest (I normally hate casters, but wanted to give it a shot).

Warrior was fun for a while, used Smite's maul for a while until I upgraded to dual wield axes. Then I started playing my priest. My priest can easily solo mobs that are 4-5 levels higher than him. All the while using barely any mana and being near full health (wands, ftw).

Just turned 30 and got an assload of new spells, including one that heals the group for 200 (or 300, can't remember), inner fire (+720 to armor), improved Power Word Shield (Absorb 300 damage), improved Fade (lose agro), Mind control, and a bunch of others.

Don't think I'm stopping anytime soon.

Drew2
08-18-2006, 11:23 AM
lmao seeing wezas getting excited over a priest is funny. I don't know why.

Seeing him being holy/discipline spec before level 55 is sickening, however. Using wands as a priest... might as well be a paladin with the skill needed in doing that.

Hope you don't plan on doing PvP ever! You can't kill shit with wands there!

DrZaius
08-18-2006, 11:35 AM
After talking with my brother, Im kinda learning towards Mage. Anyone opinions on the new talent tree for them?

Thanks.

Miss X
08-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Warlocks rule! I can't wait to get my Felsteed!

Silvanostar
08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
if you're going to play on a pve server go for a mage, if youre on a pvp server, go for a warlock

new talent tree was soso at best imo

Axhinde
08-18-2006, 01:11 PM
My lock just hit 40 on Dunemaul, and I still hop on my mage occasionally as well. The new talent trees give you a lot more flexibility in playstyle, and overall its a lot more fun. Still working my way to 60 with the lock though and loving it. Can't wait to get him into BGs.

Alfster
08-18-2006, 01:35 PM
wtf's your lock?

(who the fuck)

StrayRogue
08-18-2006, 01:39 PM
A warlock?

Artha
08-18-2006, 01:53 PM
I have a ton of characters, but pretty much just play my rogue. They're all fun, though. Except paladins.

Drew2
08-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Mages can 2-3 shot kill a large majority of (non-epicly geared) players when they get to 60 with the right builds. Pretty much deal the most damage in raids constantly. Very handy for water and food too. =D

The downside is they wear paper for armor so they die pretty quickly if you get the jump on one (esp if you're a rogue/druid).

I'm still loving my Feral spec Druid at 60. I rank second or third (to mages) in DPS constantly, and being able to be a pretty decent off-tank is always useful. Plus the emergency heals/battle rez... very versatile. Downside to druids is we have no way to silence casters when we're fighting them, unlike almost every other class.

StrayRogue
08-19-2006, 02:51 AM
Warlocks and Rogue out DPS mages in raids. At least all the raids I ever went on.

However their AoE are second to none.

Artha
08-19-2006, 03:28 AM
Mages are annoying with blink and their ability to spam level 1 AE all the time. Sneak up on them and they're done though.

Shari
08-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread....

but they got an ETA on that fucking expansion yet!?!

Drew2
08-19-2006, 04:41 AM
Warlocks and Rogue out DPS mages in raids. At least all the raids I ever went on.

However their AoE are second to none.

why is it like 95% of the shit you say regarding WoW is completely opposite of anything anyone else has ever said?

StrayRogue
08-19-2006, 04:59 AM
Because most people play in pug guilds and don't read the WoW boards.

In addition, Blizzard themselves have aknowledged the fact that mages do not do as much DPS as they were designed to do, by comparison to warlocks and rogues.

There are new features for the mage in BC to help offset this.

Tsa`ah
08-19-2006, 07:21 AM
I don't know where you get that hunters are useless. Must be due to crap hunters on your server.

Hunters are normally in the top end of dps ... apparently with the exception of Naxx (instance wise),

In terms of PvP, there are 2 classes (sometimes 3) that give hunters trouble in PvP ... locks and shadow specced priests. On occassion, a well equipped frost specced mage.

Maybe a hard fit in 5 groups ... but in the upper level dungeons, I only need 1 person to ninja in to drop a boss. I can clear the rest on my own solo.

Silvanostar
08-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Because most people play in pug guilds and don't read the WoW boards.

In addition, Blizzard themselves have aknowledged the fact that mages do not do as much DPS as they were designed to do, by comparison to warlocks and rogues.

There are new features for the mage in BC to help offset this.

i've never had a problem doing more dmg compared to locks on single targets from mc through the spider wing in nax. as an ice mage you pretty much have to have the top gear to out dps a lock, but with a fire spec its not that hard especially with the new ranks and new talents that increase crit and reduce aggro.

Artha
08-19-2006, 09:17 AM
Fire mage in MC? Aren't most of the things there hard core resistant to fire?

Silvanostar
08-19-2006, 09:47 AM
bosses and certain mobs you have to use am, but with coe and % to hit gear, i've seen a few mages in my guild go toe to toe in terms of dmg with rogues in mc

StrayRogue
08-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Rogues are restricted from doing continuous damage in MC on a number of encounters where mages are allowed to flourish. I'd hardly use this one easy instance as a measure for the entire game.

Tsa, hunters are fun. As a rogue, I dominated them in pvp (although you cannot doubt their power in AV). I dunno. They did okay damage, never the best, never the worst.