PDA

View Full Version : Seat belts suck.... sort of

Scott
06-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Well, I just got out of the hospital after a drunk driver hit me into a tree at 80MPH on a move to Florida (what a vacation right?) Well, I spent 2 weeks in the hospital not because of the crash, but because of the damn seat belt. I know seat belts save lives, but in this case I probably would have been better off without it and just hitting the airbag. Instead it damaged like every internal organ I have. You either take the chance of getting thrown out of the car, or getting your internal organs all torn up....

I guess the safe thing to do is take out your airbag since they can hurt people as well, take off your seatbelt, and then wrap yourself in a bunch of bubble wrap so you just bounce off things.....

(Yes I'm bored. I'm stuck at home with nothing to do since I can't work now..... Maybe a telemarketing job is available!)

Gokkem
06-17-2003, 02:20 PM
Sorry to hear that, glad you are ok. Hehe the company I works for sells bubblewrap in 2' and 4' widths. I'll give you a great deal haha.

imported_Kranar
06-17-2003, 02:26 PM
<< Yes I'm bored. I'm stuck at home with nothing to do since I can't work now..... Maybe a telemarketing job is available!) >>

I'm very sorry to hear that man, just remember it was neither the crash or the seatbelt that was the cause of your accident, it was a son of bitch drunk driver.

Hope you recover and are able to resume your life shortly.

Scott
06-17-2003, 08:04 PM
<<I'm very sorry to hear that man, just remember it was neither the crash or the seatbelt that was the cause of your accident, it was a son of bitch drunk driver.

Hope you recover and are able to resume your life shortly.>>

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate it.

Drunk driving is one of the worst things people can do IMO. It's something that is easily preventable and doing that can save lives. I have no respect for someone who is willing to endanger the lives of others because of stupidity. I'm just glad that I wasn't riding with anyone, since anyone in the passengers seat wouldn't have made it.... I just look at the upside, I'm still alive. It's going to cost me though since I'm a carpenter in the summer to help pay for living expenses while I get my PHD. I won't be doing that anytime this summer. However my college gave me a call a week after my accident and said they would supply me with a job that wouldn't require to much of my time so I could work on my dissertation and afford an apartment. I'm just glad that nobody else was hurt, and the person driving the car will HOPEFULLY not be driving for awhile. Oh and it was a rental car! I would have had to kill the guy if it was my car! :grin:

Oh and Gokkem, I might have to pick up some of that bubble tape!

imported_Kranar
06-17-2003, 08:08 PM
<< while I get my PHD. >>

Wow, now there's a real goal. What are you getting your Ph.D in, if you don't mind me asking?

06-17-2003, 08:54 PM
I never wear my seat belt. I'd much rather die than be in horrid pain for many moons or permanently disabled in some way.

- --[Klaive]-- -

Red Devil
06-18-2003, 03:07 AM
Right on klaive!

Scott
06-18-2003, 03:18 AM
<<Wow, now there's a real goal. What are you getting your Ph.D in, if you don't mind me asking?>>

Comp Sci

imported_Kranar
06-18-2003, 06:38 AM
<< Comp Sci >>

Good stuff, I'm going for that as well.

Good luck with yours.

Kellenial
06-20-2003, 02:01 AM
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you're feeling better soon. As a victim of being hit by a drunk driver as well, I know what you must be dealing with. In my case, I wasn't wearing a seatbelt. The way the car was hit, I was thrown into a fetal position into the passenger seat as the engine block was driven into the driver's seat foot-well. If I had been wearing the seatbelt, my legs would have been crushed at the very least. It's all a matter of luck, I guess.

On another note, from what I understand, airbags don't work unless the seatbelt is engaged.

AnticorRifling
06-20-2003, 01:41 PM
I'd rather wear the seat belt and end up treating some internal injuries for awhile vice kissing a steering wheel at 50+ MPH

I have done the latter and I can tell you it sucks. Broke my nose, got a concussion, two black eyes which swelled up to blindness for about three days. Sure seat belts hurt but the chances are higher that you will get over an injury sustained from a seatbelt as compared to the ones you would sustain sans seatbelt.
Not true in 100% of the cases but in the majority I would say this holds true.

Red Devil
06-20-2003, 07:57 PM
use cardboard seat belts.