PDA

View Full Version : Wedding QC.. wtf?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-11-2006, 06:29 PM
UGH. I got response that was mostly ok, except for this.

"The cloth of silver I did an ingame search and could find none. I did a google search for cloth of silver and the results were suggestions on cloths for cleaning silver.
I do research items before I refuse them. I will look at the links you sent me and take look at your info.

In real life I am an interior designer. I work with cloths and materials every day. Cloth of gold is a well known real fabric. I had never heard the term cloth of silver and so I did google it and got no results for actual cloth-of-silver. "

------

So Narcissiia and Jerrikan are doing a Bonding (they're already married 25 years, so this is more of a ceremony to basically make them soulmates until they die.. i.e. no remarriage).. and we purchased a wedding package, to get the alterations/scripts/food/etc.

I sent in my list of items, and mind you, I scrutinized them, counted characters, checked references and sources. I took a lot of time on them basically.

Last night I got back an email with the QC responses to the items.

First off, a draping cloth-of-gold pelisse that had a 474 character count (including double spaces and punctuation).. "This may be too long. We'll see." Ok.. so they just didn't count. That's fine.. Let's see what else, shall we? They said that nightshade-hued was redundant because it has the word shade and hued in it. I think that QC doesn't realize that nightshade is a flower and not the shade of night. -_- Next, I had an item with vicuna wool in it.. which is a type of llama wool. Contrary to it being posted like 100 times on the officials that every real world animal is in Elanthia, I get the response, "There aren't vicunas in Elanthia!" Wtf?

Next is a gown with a full skirt and a train. She says that they don't usually combine items, but she'll leave the train because it's a wedding. How is that combining items? Both the skirt and the train are a PART of the gown!

I request ring boxes carved from black diamond and they said it's impossible (even though there are carved crystal and diamond SLIPPERS in game).. the design mention a rose intaglio in the top and totally ignoring that they just tacked a "black diamond-inset" into the front of the description.

Ok... now. Here's the REAL kicker that made me go, WHAT? Are these people retarded?

I requested something to be made of cloth-of-silver. The response:

"There is no such cloth (cloth of silver) You can do cloth of gold that does exist."

So I dug up about 5 links referencing cloth of silver in Medieval history, and referenced in game, off the shelf items (and Naleas).

I swear though, is the Wedding QC retarded?

Hips
08-11-2006, 06:34 PM
QC for just about anything in this game is retarded. Doubly so if it's related to alters.

Amaron
08-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Wow Tol and I had no problems with qc. Gm Brennann (sp) was awesome.

look like you got a dandy qc'er

J

Tolwynn
08-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Some of the QC people just have a huge stick shoved up their ass.

Among other gems from previous weddings:

I was told snow cowries couldn't be used because cowries are a tropical shell.

I was told honey lager couldn't be made because it didn't exist, ig or irl.

I was told the Ashrim wouldn't have made wine because they were an island culture. (Good thing nobody mentioned that to the Greeks or Japanese, among others.)

I was told images of sea drakes were impossible because sea drakes never existed in game. Nevermind that there's an image of one on a stone that pretty much everyone stepping through Voln has to visit.

You get the idea.

Some of the QC are great, though, as Amaron mentioned above.... just all depends on who you get stuck with.

Also, if you don't like the coordinator assigned, you can ask for a new one. Be prepared for a delay if you do so, however.

Alfster
08-11-2006, 08:10 PM
lolz at people that pay for gs weddings

Kyra
08-18-2006, 03:50 PM
I did a gs wedding a few months back..qc is enough to make you want to quit playing because of their p.i.t.a. reasoning.

I asked if I provided 100 rhimar arrowheads & 2 rhimar weapons if I could have rhimar armbands(instead of wedding bands)...nope...it's a "rare" metal.

Yet they allowed a veniom(rare metal) circlet with no problem.

Shortly before that they had allowed a couple to have urglaes for their bands..which is extremely rare..

Good luck! I had a nice little time at mine but certainly not worth the headache to get there.

T.

Hips
08-18-2006, 04:04 PM
That's amusing, I was told I couldn't have *anything* made out of veniom back when Michiko got married.

Kitsun
08-18-2006, 04:57 PM
QC can be a monster pain in the ass. But some reactions from the brides remind me of the TV show Bride-zilla!

Ardwen
08-18-2006, 05:49 PM
At least they got back to you in a timely manner. Eay back before Ardwen's wedding they decided to wait til midnight on the night prior to the wedding, a worknight for me. I sat up til 4am going over items with 3 GMs, I was rathernot amused by the whole thing.

Ardwen

Stanley Burrell
08-19-2006, 01:37 AM
At least they got back to you in a timely manner. Eay back before Ardwen's wedding they decided to wait til midnight on the night prior to the wedding, a worknight for me. I sat up til 4am going over items with 3 GMs, I was rathernot amused by the whole thing.

Ardwen

Did you get a text-based blowjob on your pt. 12 honeymoon to compensate?

I would also highly enjoy making random exclamations of having attending a text-based wedding over some stupid pissing contest...

"Dude, I got soooo hammered this weekend and ended up puking on a hooker."

"That's cool, man. I WAS THE BEST MAN IN A CYBER MARRIAGE AND BOOSTED MY STRENGTH STATS OVER A MITHRIL FLAGON OF MYSTICAL ELVEN ABSINTHE IN THE GNOMISH AFTERPARTY, FUCKER."

..?

Mack
08-19-2006, 02:31 AM
Stanley Burrell is my man-idol.

Stanley Burrell
08-19-2006, 02:35 AM
Thank you, Mack, that is very kind of you.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Got a reply.

"The cloth of silver I did an ingame search and could find none. I did a google search for cloth of silver and the results were suggestions on cloths for cleaning silver.
I do research items before I refuse them. I will look at the links you sent me and take look at your info.

In real life I am an interior designer. I work with cloths and materials every day. Cloth of gold is a well known real fabric. I had never heard the term cloth of silver and so I did google it and got no results for actual cloth-of-silver. "

Methais
08-19-2006, 05:16 PM
Me either, and I didn't even do any research on it.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-19-2006, 05:28 PM
heh, I figured out why they couldn't even find it on google. Without the hyphens or at least quotations around ALL of the words, it'll remove "of" and leave you with just a search for the words cloth and silver.. so silver cleaning cloths are the most common result.

Ilvane
08-19-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/orie/ho_50.168.2a,b.htm

It did exist at least in the 1600-1800.

Angela

Sean of the Thread
08-19-2006, 06:11 PM
lolz at people that pay for gs weddings

Have you read her posts? She's not too bright.

HarmNone
08-19-2006, 06:16 PM
Perhaps, if you provide them with Ilvane's link, they'll realize they've made a mistake. :)

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Perhaps, if you provide them with Ilvane's link, they'll realize they've made a mistake. :)

I've already done that, actually, I provided like five links.. but if people who've never heard ofit before can find it suddenly, I dunno how QC and numerous other GMs couldn't stumble across at least one link?!

>.<

Elvenlady
08-19-2006, 08:38 PM
You could also point out that this is for sale in a player shop.. spotted it today:

a side laced long-sleeved cloth-of-silver gown with shimmering veiled overskirts

Tolwynn
08-19-2006, 09:00 PM
Pointing out an existing item won't always help, since they can fall back on that 'We won't repeat past mistakes' line.

Jolena
08-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Yah its best only to use off the shelf items that are currently still sold in an NPC town shop for reference, if you're going to reference at all.

Ilvane
08-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I think the comeback that it doesn't exist is moot..but then again, stranger things have happened.:)

Angela

thornhappy
08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
That's like when one of the merchants told me 'split skirts' didn't exist in GS... She fought with me about it until one of her seniors stepped in and told her that they were sold off the shelf..

In plat, a friend of mine had an awful experience yesterday.. sounds like you're dealing with the same GM. This particular person insisted that 'silk linen' was OOC, and that 'hemstitching' was not a word

There are some serious cases of GMs having egos and being unable to back down even when they're clearly wrong. I wish you better luck with the wedding alters then you've had thus far.

Beguiler
08-21-2006, 11:01 AM
QC amuses me. A friend setting up a pantry item in her CHE House wanted 'carpaccio' (raw meat slices) for rangers' companions. QC absolutely refused to use that 'out of genre!!!'. Well, I went and looked at the food documents on the play.net site, and lo and behold one of the menus under 'elven food' had a kind of fish carpaccio. Can you say 'oops!'?? They can scream can't have it, but it's in the official Simu docs? Gotta love it!!

Of course there was cloth of silver! (to stay on topic)

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
It always cracks me up how unique, nicely worded items tend to be the ones most argued where as your generic sexy corsets/bodices, curvaceous leathers, and backpacks stitched with Dhe'nari runes are usually allowed with little to no argument.

Sean of the Thread
08-21-2006, 12:13 PM
Boo hoo.

ElanthianSiren
08-21-2006, 03:39 PM
It always cracks me up how unique, nicely worded items tend to be the ones most argued where as your generic sexy corsets/bodices, curvaceous leathers, and backpacks stitched with Dhe'nari runes are usually allowed with little to no argument.

Your key thing is unique. If it's unique, they're less apt to agree in my experience. If they see something made over and over again (curvy corset for example -- though corsets used to be a no no too), they know it's permissable already. That means less work for them (QCing your design) and less work for the person QCing their preliminary work with you.

The key IMO is to have an automated AI QC process with programmed perimeters that completely eliminates this, including the ego wars that go with it.

-M

Jolena
08-21-2006, 03:53 PM
The point of alterations IS to be unique however, so that's almost ironic.

ElanthianSiren
08-21-2006, 05:21 PM
The point of alterations IS to be unique however, so that's almost ironic.

I agree, which is why I feel that they should look into AI programming, though I can't see a way for them to do it within the limitations imposed by GS itself (ie its lack of a hardwired lists, including Elanthia-specific types, and let's not even get into pinworn items -- what a nightmare).

The current QC process (and similar ones on games I've worked under) is a huge productivity waster (both for the client and the administrator/sub administrator) IMO. That was my only point really.

Also, I'm sorry some of you are having so much trouble with your alterations :(

-M

Mighty Nikkisaurus
08-21-2006, 06:01 PM
I win! I finally got all the items I asked for, even though I had to split up one item into two.