PDA

View Full Version : College, kids and work

Jolena
08-09-2006, 10:00 AM
This is just basically for me to get my thoughts out on the stress of going to school, working and taking care of a family at the same time. If I don't get any responses, it will not detract from this, as honestly I just need to write down thoughts for my own venting purposes most of the time. If I do get responses, yey and I hope that they help me cope.

As some of you know, I started going to college online about 14 months ago to get my associates with an ultimate goal of a degree in Human Resources Management. My children are getting older (5, 7 and 13 now) and are all attending school full time. I'd like to have something to fall back on in the near future that will help me A) get out of the house and B) earn a decent amount of money to help with expenses at home and to fund college expenses for said three children. I'd also like to have enough money to play around in the stock market for my future. At this point in time, between James and myself, we make enough money to cover all our bills comfortably (meaning we don't live check to check for the first time in years) and have enough to save back for rainy days. I'd like that to increase significantly, so I've also started working about 20 hours a week from home. The income isn't significant but it is easy work and I am able to still be home to take care of the house and children, while going to school.

Now, that being said, its been a long long time since I have attended school of any formal type. Online education is not the most difficult thing to go through but I find more often than not that I'm dealing with classes and subjects that I've not even thought of in so long. Most of it I'm able to get through with some hard work, research and perseverance. At least until recently. This is where philosophy enters into the picture. I take two courses every nine weeks and this block of classes included 'Introduction to philosophy', which should have been titled "Introduction to a nightmare of long, abstract concepts and the worst stress of your entire life". :(

What the hell, I mean, I enjoy some of the things that are discussed within the course, and the history involved is nice to feel educated about in the end of things. But, damn, some of the concepts and thought processes involved with the philosophy of most of the key figures we discuss is just over my head. I have sat and read, then re-read, then re-read again most of the course materials and still, I feel like I'm reeling in a world of things that I just don't get. Does it need to be this difficult? And if so, why is it necessary for me to take this for my Associates? Ugh.

Couple in that with working four of the five free hours I have a day while the children are at school, and it makes for a very stressed Bree. I like the challenge, and I love that being so busy helps my day go by fast and allows me to feel that I'm accomplishing something great for my future, as well as setting a good example for my children. I don't like feeling dumb in this particular course, however, and I just don't have the time to delve any further than what I already do into this course. I've got a sinking feeling I'm going to end up bullshitting my way through this course and praying for at least a C in the end for my scholarship/financial aid to continue. I don't like that feeling, I wanted to do well in this course.

Anyhow, enough ranting for now. I've got to go to work for the next few hours.

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2006, 10:06 AM
I would suggest taking lecture classes during the hours your children are in school which shouldn't be a problem. Even if it's only 3-6 credits a semester. Jumping back into the mix of college via the online courses is very tough after years of time have passed.

TheEschaton
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
Which philosophy? Maybe if you're having some trouble with concepts, we can help. Despite what people like Xyelin might say, most people think I know how to explain things clearly and succinctly. ;)

And philosophy is one of my favorite hobbies. :)

-TheE-

Jacare
08-09-2006, 10:10 AM
I feel your pain. I was an A-student at every level of school. I think I finished college with a 3.8 or something. But I just barely skated by in Philosophy 101. I think I got a C- or a D. And I didn't care. I just wanted to be done with that class forever.

I thought I'd enjoy the course, but it was just too bland. It was the second worst class I had to endure, close behind Subversive Women in Literature... a complete debacle through which I had to suffer to get my "diversity credits". College is such a fucking crock.

Just hang in there and get wear your muckin' boots for all the bullshit you'll have to sling.

Jolena
08-09-2006, 10:15 AM
Well, right now we're studying Continental Philosophy and more specifically, existentialism and phenomenology. I dig existentialism, and honestly I understand a great deal of it without issues. Phenomenology, on the other hand, is wayyyy out there for me. I have tried to set back and do the 'penny on the table' test that the text suggests I use to apply the phenomenology method but it didn't work at all and I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Which philosophy? Maybe if you're having some trouble with concepts, we can help. Despite what people like Xyelin might say, most people think I know how to explain things clearly and succinctly. ;)

And philosophy is one of my favorite hobbies. :)

-TheE-

I havn't said shit about your ability to communicate.

Miss X
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Heh, I did Enlightenment philosophy in the first year of my bachelors, I hated it! I had to study phenomenology a lot also during my Soc degree. So boring and wishy washy.

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Well, right now we're studying Continental Philosophy and more specifically, existentialism and phenomenology. I dig existentialism, and honestly I understand a great deal of it without issues. Phenomenology, on the other hand, is wayyyy out there for me. I have tried to set back and do the 'penny on the table' test that the text suggests I use to apply the phenomenology method but it didn't work at all and I just can't wrap my mind around it.

It's an elective.. you could always take something else.

Jolena
08-09-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm four weeks into the course, dropping it to take something else isn't really an option for me at this point. The course has already been paid for as well.

Sean of the Thread
08-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm four weeks into the course, dropping it to take something else isn't really an option for me at this point. The course has already been paid for as well.

Ah I see. The drop with refund has already passed then? I sure as hell did that everytime I had an inkling that course was gonna suck ass or if I had an overly political professor.

Unless it's a computer related or certificate course (or something I know backwards and front) I complety despise online courses.

Jolena
08-09-2006, 10:57 AM
I've actually found online courses to be okay for the most part. Getting used to it was a bit hard at first, but after the first block of classes, I did fine and found it to be not only convenient but interesting as well. With how I run my life right now, with kids and working from home, its the best choice for me. Once I am done with my Associates and move on to my Bachelor's, I'll possibly stop doing it online and go to regular classes, it all depends.

DeV
08-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Do what I did, take Philosophy of Women, ace it and be done with that circular bullish forever. Seriously though, that was the third and last Philosophy class I took after the Intro class taught me that if I doubted I was doubting then I was in fact doubting and therefore I am. Then there was logic, my absolute favorite.

I used to sit in my intro class and think, damn, what a crock, Philosophy should be lived not studied. But upon graduating I discovered a greater respect for the basic principals surrounding that field of study. I had to admit that it helps in thinking critically and consistently and furthering your understanding of varying points of view with a greater "philosophy".

My advice would be to contact your professor and ask questions about the parts that you just aren't getting. See if he/she can explain the problem areas to you in ways that you can grasp without repeatedly bumping your head into a wall. Let him know you're struggling and see if there is anything he can do to help you get a better understanding of what's being taught. You are paying for this afterall, it's your education and while you could sit back and settle for a C, every grade point matters in the end.