PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Stronghold tactics.

zhelas
08-06-2006, 11:46 AM
I am tired of hunting on Teras and I am taking a short vacation from the Island. I am considering Stronghold. I am sitting at 61 trains and my CS is 319. Is this high enough that i will be able to ward against them? Will I need to curse them to lower their defenses?

I have browsed these boards for sorcerer tactics and have looked on the official boards.

It seems to me that the biggest thing is keeping the creatures prone on the ground so they can't fall and crush you. Will 410 work in preventing them from landing on you? If so, I will be making quite a few rods with this spell imbedded in it.

Mastiffs- DC then Plink away iwth 702?

703 on the giants and mystics. Plink away with 702

Querthose has mentioned in his lectures about bringing a Shan Warrior in there with a claid and it made hunting fun.

Just looking for any tactics that other might have used.

Thanks.

Zhelas

Asha
08-06-2006, 11:53 AM
You're CS will do good but curse shamans if you have to.
410 everything. Once you've killed them they'll topple otherwise. Plus 410 gets the down without the topple death manouver.
110 does too but I'm betting you'd never ward them.

705 and 702 the mastiffs. Take a leg or two to keep them busy.
703 the shaman and mystics. Very important.
Then 719 them.. they really don't do good against that.

You're a sorcerer right?
Why haven't you got 410? You should.

Main thing you need to remember is they have NO prep on their spells. There's no warning of them about to cast at you.
Keep them on the ground. Keep them imobilized enough not to cast.
If they start to pile up don't be afraid to walk away and wait for them to disperse.

zhelas
08-06-2006, 12:09 PM
You're CS will do good but curse shamans if you have to.
410 everything. Once you've killed them they'll topple otherwise. Plus 410 gets the down without the topple death manouver.
110 does too but I'm betting you'd never ward them.

705 and 702 the mastiffs. Take a leg or two to keep them busy.
703 the shaman and mystics. Very important.
Then 719 them.. they really don't do good against that.

You're a sorcerer right?
Why haven't you got 410? You should.

Main thing you need to remember is they have NO prep on their spells. There's no warning of them about to cast at you.
Keep them on the ground. Keep them imobilized enough not to cast.
If they start to pile up don't be afraid to walk away and wait for them to disperse.

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes I do have 410. From what I have read, many in our practice go through alot of mana in there. I have access to blank rods. I figured if I made my own 410 rods it would prolong my hunting and allow the shan warrior to smash them with its claid while I plink once or twice with 705 or 702.

719 the shaman and mystics (makes a note)

With the above information and peering into the room before entering might help prepare one for the no prep time they have.

Swarms: I normally will walk out of a swarm, if i can, to let the disperse.

Thanks,

Zhelas

drigore
08-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Mostly right, except for the fact they do prep spells. The problem being most of then gen with a spell up, and walk around prepped. Stone fist is actually spell based and 703 works so they can't cast it. With all the HP's they have, torment is a wonderful thing up there as well.

An Illoke mystic invokes the power of his god.
(stuff happens, it's not an instacast)
An Illoke mystic summons the wrath of his god as he gestures at you!
A blood red haze swirls in an Illoke mystic's eyes and he convulses slightly.

Asha
08-06-2006, 01:47 PM
An Illoke mystic invokes the power of his god.
(stuff happens, it's not an instacast)
A blood red haze swirls in an Illoke mystic's eyes and he convulses slightly.

Their prep cast of stone fist at least is completely instantaneous.
That's the one which'll end your hunt well quick.

zhelas
08-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Okay okay the tactics sort of work okay. BUT.

>
An Illoke mystic blinks dazedly a moment before shaking off the stun!
A massive stone hand appears in the air before you!
The huge grey fist wraps around you before you can move to avoid it! The massive hand clasps you tightly in a crushing grip, and your brain seems to scream as you feel your bones snapping!

... 70 points of damage!
Blow to your back removes the spinal column!
Your SIGN OF DEFENDING is no longer effective.
The tingling sensation and sense of security leaves you.

**Many more spells dropping**

No prep time on their part.

I have died now more than i have died in my last 7 trains. True this is a fact of life in the lands and I know it doesn't get easier ..besides being light as a feather which apparently I am not. What can one do to help dodge these attacks? Ewave does not knock them down all the time.

drigore
08-14-2006, 10:15 PM
It was already prepped, 703 works just fine, and they've never cast it while under that spell. That place sucks total ass, but yes, they walk around prepped and gen prepped.

Gan
08-15-2006, 07:28 AM
As an alternative you might give the skull temple in Illistim a try (that or the keen if the level disparity is too high).

Skull Temple (http://www.tsoran.com/maplib/elven/EN-skull.gif)

Dogmatists: ~70
Hierophants: ~66
Supplicants: ~67

Keen:
Grifflet: ~64
Lesser Griffin: ~69
Yeti: ~67
Storm Griffin: ~73 (if you skin, these feathers are highly valued among the archer community - and make for great resale)

Asha
08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Again. They can instantly cast stone fist with no prep.
It's common knowledge and not just from a freshly genned Illoke. They can do it anytime.

Zhelas it does get easier. You're a small jump from the rift so stick it out.
Not kidding, a sorcerer in the rift is so easy it's a joke, man.
OTF is cake too, thanks to 435, 410, 720 AND 719. So long as you don't implode a room with constructs.
Luck to you.

Asha
08-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Skull temple is much better.. if you can stand the elven nations.

StrayRogue
08-15-2006, 08:22 AM
Yes. The EN is full of critters that are easy to hunt if you can't stand the realities of playing Gemstone on the Hard difficulty setting.

zhelas
08-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Yes. The EN is full of critters that are easy to hunt if you can't stand the realities of playing Gemstone on the Hard difficulty setting.

I normally avoid EN. Don't plan on hunting there unless I have to. Dying doesn't bother me. The fact that some of the deaths are BS get annoying. They come in with spells already prepped normally I move from a room when they show up. Surprised the Cloak of Shadows does not help. But shoot it is all good. I just have to keep feeding the priestess silvers for the death sting flasks.