PDA

View Full Version : To pick a weapon style....

Stunseed
08-06-2006, 04:35 AM
Right now, I'm TWC morning stars, and I love it. It's a little TP-heavy, but that is a choice I can live with.

Insert the problem. I just got handed a 5x exceptionally damage weighted flail, which is a giant morning star, give or take, so it fits the RP. It also opens up alot of TP's switching to one weapon style.

I need some opinions.

Renian
08-06-2006, 05:35 AM
5x exceptionally damage weighted flail

I'm not a fan of damage weighting. My warrior ambushed from the open at body parts, killing things in one hit anyway, making extra damage worthless. Stick with TWC and get twice the chance to kill something instantly.

Lucas
08-06-2006, 08:32 AM
Damage weighting = useless. Killing opponent in 5 secs =priceless.

Renian
08-06-2006, 08:34 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Though it would really be six seconds, if open ambushing.

Latrinsorm
08-06-2006, 04:27 PM
I think you could fit THW, TWC, and OHB in the same plan, though clearly sacrifices will have to be made and you might not be able to get them all at once. Running the numbers, if you 3x PF and 2x Armor, OHB, TWC, THW, Dodge, and CM, you're looking at 65/27 a level, which probably isn't sustainable for a good long time. You could go 1.5x Dodge or 2x PF to ease the strain until you get higher up. It'll be tight, but doable. I imagine there could be encumbrance issues hauling around two morning stars and a flail unless you're one of the power races, but again, definitely doable.

Jolena
08-06-2006, 04:58 PM
The character is a dark elf, encumberance would be harsh I think.

Warriorbird
08-07-2006, 12:47 PM
Damage weighted flail = not a reason to switch.

Drew
08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Sort of off-topic here but I've always thought flails should have a small chance to entangle someone's weapon when you are attacked and cause some RT (3-9 seconds)

Anebriated
08-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey Stunseed. How is the TWC ranger path these days? Been debating trying either TWC or s/s.

Stunseed
08-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Holy crap, I couldn't imagine trying to stay so physically weighted and do TWC as a Ranger. It has alot of enjoyment, but it is dangerous and TP-heavy.

As a Warrior, however, it is completely awesome. I like it alot, and it's very sweet to have a good RP behind being such.

Anebriated
08-07-2006, 04:53 PM
I remember there was one Ranger who used to do it well. Unfortionately I dont have Elrodin anymore so I cant just fixskills my way back into it but I am working on a new ranger that I think I might try it out on. Been wanting to do it ever since I got bored with Elrodin as an archer.

Latrinsorm
08-07-2006, 09:28 PM
I think Regyy's a TWC ranger, but he's at least level 50 and has some decent gear.

Olanan
08-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Regyy's capped.

Apathy
08-07-2006, 11:55 PM
I remember there was one Ranger who used to do it well. Unfortionately I dont have Elrodin anymore so I cant just fixskills my way back into it but I am working on a new ranger that I think I might try it out on. Been wanting to do it ever since I got bored with Elrodin as an archer.

I want to say Auroch but I'm not certain...

Drew
08-08-2006, 12:09 AM
I want to say Auroch but I'm not certain...

Or Aurach, but yeah he was a rift aged TWC ranger longer before GS4 and TWC was at all easy.

Stunseed
08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
I actually believe he was talking about Maygog, as Elrodin, Stunseed, Buronson and he were sitting in Mule talking about the changes in Beta.

Apathy
08-08-2006, 07:16 PM
What makes TWC so much easier now? I see it being harder, because now you have to train dodge, mana, PT if you want any dux, and your weapon and TWC. Something I don't know?

I could never get my rangers going b/c there were so many roads to choose from, I just kind of stared at all of them and said "ooh I bet that's fun."

Latrinsorm
08-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Generally speaking, everything in GS is easier now.

Specifically, I'd guess that being able to train in dodge at all to gain scrumptious bolt DS is a huge boon for TWCers as well as cool new spells for rangers and redux being a lot easier to get now (no more semi-dux).

Anebriated
08-23-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes, it was maygog I was referring to.

On a side note thats a bit more on topic I just reactivated my warrior and hes gonna need some work. I've been out of the loop for awhile, any suggestions for training styles for a warrior around level 20?

Anebriated
08-23-2006, 05:08 PM
****SECOND REMINDER****

You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 28 months behind.

****SECOND REMINDER****

owned.

Celexei
08-23-2006, 09:20 PM
My ranger, who is my main character is TWC hiding ambush and VERY VERY effective with it. I could go for redux but I've decided to put the TP's elsewhere. I'll post my stats and skills at level 29 when I get home if anyone is interested. The plan works flawlessly for me anyway, I've learned how to use it very very effectivly. Anyway, this character of yours thats TWC Blunt isn't a ranger is it Stun? And I always did want to do a TWC Blunt character. It'd be really neat, let me know how it goes for ya!

Celexei
08-23-2006, 09:22 PM
And by the way...get a damn bastard axe for Stun already! I've been waiting for that for a few years now, and I wanna see that still!

Stunseed
08-23-2006, 09:29 PM
You remove a dual-bladed bastard axe from in your black leather longcoat.

This masterpiece among weapons features two sharp vultite crescent blades linked in the middle to its haft. A length of burnished vultite chain is wrapped around and across itself in a criss-crossed pattern along the haft between both blades. The smooth ebonwood handle is wrapped in heavy, double-wound cordovan leather lanyards studded to the haft to ensure a perfect fit. Deeply engraved into the highly polished haft, is the name, "Vengeance".

Now 5x, prolly going to take it to 7x for my blessable.

Stunseed
08-23-2006, 09:31 PM
I also will have the premium points, I may enchant it to 8x.

Tee-hee.

Anebriated
08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
any warrior guild masters in the vaalor/illistim area?

TheEschaton
08-24-2006, 12:06 AM
I've got one, IM me sometime tomorrow if you're still looking. I'm going to bed now.

-TheE-

Stanley Burrell
08-24-2006, 12:40 AM
****SECOND REMINDER****

You had better pay your guild dues before you forget. You are 28 months behind.

****SECOND REMINDER****

owned.

Grab an assload of silver and tell me what room you're in before you get your Guild status revoked and I'll refund the payment :D

Anebriated
08-24-2006, 12:46 AM
I was kicked out the second time I logged in so I just got a reinvite. Thanks though. Anyone have any suggestions for training paths? Would prefer not to do the sword/board.

Hips
08-24-2006, 12:48 AM
On a side note thats a bit more on topic I just reactivated my warrior and hes gonna need some work. I've been out of the loop for awhile, any suggestions for training styles for a warrior around level 20?

omg, you better come say hi to me in game some time :P

Stanley Burrell
08-24-2006, 12:49 AM
D'oh.

Be wise with your CMANs. Wspec, wbond and surge are priorities like wizza-what.

Stunseed
08-24-2006, 12:50 AM
Skills for teh pimp.

XXXXX (at level 16), your current skill bonuses and ranks (including all modifiers) are:
Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Two Weapon Combat..................| 128 34
Armor Use..........................| 145 45
Combat Maneuvers...................| 124 32
Blunt Weapons......................| 128 34
Multi Opponent Combat..............| 74 16
Physical Fitness...................| 144 44
Dodging............................| 124 32
Harness Power......................| 10 2
Perception.........................| 74 16
Climbing...........................| 45 9
Swimming...........................| 25 5

Anebriated
08-24-2006, 12:55 AM
omg, you better come say hi to me in game some time :P

You know I will. I have a 20ish warrior and a 30ish sorc atm. For the first time ever? you are a higher train than I am. <3

Anebriated
08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
D'oh.

Be wise with your CMANs. Wspec, wbond and surge are priorities like wizza-what.

does it matter which wspec?

Stanley Burrell
08-24-2006, 01:29 AM
Nah.

You can WTRICK LEARN WPEC#1-3 with the same benefits for the desired weapon base.

Edit: Just make sure to focus all of your ranks in the same WSPEC number once you select a weapon base since minimaxing is more viable than allovertheplacing.

Celexei
08-24-2006, 05:45 AM
*drools* when the hell did you pick that up Stun? and how are you gonna get that enchanted and keep it blessable? I thought you couldn't do that? But what do I know...and did Betsy get the backburner? and oh yeah....HELLZ YEAH FER YOU! How do you like it?

TheEschaton
08-24-2006, 09:29 AM
Wizard ETs now retain blessability, Celexei.

-TheE-

Jolena
08-24-2006, 09:39 AM
Heh, Betsy would NEVER get the backburner! You should know that by now :)

AnticorRifling
08-24-2006, 09:54 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Though it would really be six seconds, if open ambushing.

I could open ambush in three seconds consistently...nub. :cool:

Celexei
08-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Heh, Betsy would NEVER get the backburner! You should know that by now :)

If I had a bastard axe....and now that I know that Wizard ET's retain blessability..well...yeah it'd just be one hell of a blessable, or I'd get it nicely merchant flared and I'm sorry...I know how much Stun would never leave Betsy..but I'd have to put her in the back..but since Betsy's already pretty much all that except for the Bastard part...it does make a good blessable...and WOOT for friggin et blessability! I all the sudden want Celexei back to do some damn ET'n! Oh BTW I'm gonna start a new thread for postin my rangers stats and such like I said I would, I wanna see what everyone else thinks. And I'm definatly hoping for some positive critisism.

Stunseed
08-24-2006, 01:02 PM
< I know how much Stun would never leave Betsy..but I'd have to put her in the back. >

I've owned and sold much better weapons than Betsy in my days, but the only thing I would trade Betsy for, is Betsy, dipped in pure coraesine. Some of the weapons I've sold/kept and don't use with Stun since getting her include.

10x axe w/fire flares + stunning skull
9x blessable warblade
4x hcw boar spear
4x greater infused steam axe
6x Tetrain axe ( morphs into 4 different handaxe-based weapons )
6x vchw falchion ( which I got for Jolena )
Twin +8 vhcw waraxes

The list goes on and on. To me, the RP of having a weapon you'll never get rid of is pretty important. Only the thought of a pure coraesine weapon would tempt me, heh.

Doughboy
08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
< I know how much Stun would never leave Betsy..but I'd have to put her in the back. >
The list goes on and on. To me, the RP of having a weapon you'll never get rid of is pretty important. Only the thought of a pure coraesine weapon would tempt me, heh.

If the Simpsons can name a cat Snowball 2, you can name a weapon Betsy 2.

Latrinsorm
08-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Betsy II: The Axening.

For Elrodin:

2x CM
2x Armor
2x PF
2x Dodge
2x Polearm
2x Thrown

Stunseed
08-24-2006, 11:37 PM
My weapon style. Berserk.

Razor-sharp shards of mein fly directly at you!
You scream out in pain as shards of mein fly into you!
... 35 points of damage!
Strike to left arm cleanly severs it at the shoulder!
You are knocked to the ground!
You are stunned for 6 rounds!
... 40 points of damage!
Strike to right arm shatters elbow and severs forearm!

!SPJ>berserk
Everything around you turns red as you work yourself into a berserker's rage!
!SPJ>
The golem flails its huge arms around angrily.
!SPJ>
Oengus beseeches his deity for some divine assistance.
!PJ>
You jump to your feet snarling in anger!

Holy crap being a Warrior is hawt.

Anebriated
08-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Betsy II: The Axening.

For Elrodin:

2x CM
2x Armor
2x PF
2x Dodge
2x Polearm
2x Thrown

Thats pretty much how I was trained before, how does TWC stack up against the polearm path?

Latrinsorm
08-25-2006, 02:21 PM
lol, Stunseed, you didn't break that stun with your berserk. Berserk still rocks though.

I've never been very impressed with TWC. If I was going with an offensive-minded plan, I'd want the biggest hit possible rather than 2 medium hits. It's certainly viable though.

Anebriated
08-26-2006, 04:44 PM
Just wondering, Latrin or any of the other polearmers, why thrown weapons? Assuming its there for redux reasons would it be beneficial to go brawling so I can use voln fu?

Latrinsorm
08-26-2006, 04:50 PM
I don't personally use polearms. The Thrown is for actual throwing, as spears count as true thrown weapons and as such go very fast. A hurled spear to the eye is exceptionally deadly, but any time you have a power weapon that cuts through all parry DS, you're going to have a big impact.

Brawling for voln-fu is a good idea except then you have to be in voln (yuck!). It (voln-fu) certainly has its moments though, don't get me wrong.

Anebriated
08-26-2006, 04:51 PM
Yeah, my ranger was archer/brawler for an extremely long time. Was pretty much nothing he couldnt touch. I was hoping to be able to do the same with the warrior, use the polearm on the living and then fu the undead.

AnticorRifling
08-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Just use haste and lance everything.

Anebriated
08-26-2006, 05:57 PM
easier to haste when you are a wizard, little harder on a warrior.

AnticorRifling
08-26-2006, 08:57 PM
Then you're the wrong class to use polearms obviously. Don't hate. 3 second lance swing every time w00t.

Anebriated
08-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Would it be worth it to just get a couple miu ranks and stock up on imbeddibles?

Fallen
08-26-2006, 09:12 PM
There is definitely an easy way to get them mass produced for a reasonable price. On GSauctions.com, there is a link for a service to get any mage spell placed into 40 rods, anklets, brace, amulets, ect for fairly cheap. I had the service done twice. Went quick and easy.

Latrinsorm
08-26-2006, 09:50 PM
If I was going to get MIU ranks, I'd get at least 20. A few to start with isn't a bad idea though.

Anebriated
08-26-2006, 09:58 PM
Ill probably get enough to use haste items with ease. Maybe later add some for ewave or quake or some other form of crowd control.