PDA

View Full Version : Please Fix This Wizzard

Wuxong
08-03-2006, 06:42 AM
I have this wizzard that I played to 25 some time ago and since have been stuck. It was a long time ago and I know his stats and skill might be wrong. Can anyone out there give me some advice on what I can do to get more out of my wizzard?

Forest Gnome

Level 0 Stats:

Stre ngth (STR): 50
Constit ution (CON): 50
Dexterity (DEX): 90
Agility (AGI): 70
Discipline (DIS): 70
Aura (AUR): 90
Logic (LOG): 90
Intuition (INT): 50
Wisdom (WIS): 80
Influence (INF): 20

Level 25 Stats:

Strength (STR): 53 (-9) ... 53 (-9)
Constitution (CON): 59 (14) ... 56 (13)
Dexterity (DEX): 98 (29) ... 98 (29)
Agility (AGI): 77 (23) ... 77 (23)
Discipline (DIS): 78 (19) ... 78 (19)
Aura (AUR): 98 (24) ... 98 (24)
Logic (LOG): 98 (29) ... 98 (29)
Intuition (INT): 62 (6) ... 62 (6)
Wisdom (WIS): 86 (23) ... 86 (23)
Influence (INF): 42 (-9) ... 42 (-9)

Level 25 Skills:

Skill Name | Current Current
| Bonus Ranks
Physical Fitness...................| 102 24
Arcane Symbols.....................| 111 27
Magic Item Use.....................| 111 27
Spell Aiming.......................| 154 54
Harness Power......................| 148 48
Elemental Mana Control.............| 108 26
Climbing...........................| 45 9

Spell Lists
Major Elemental....................| 22

Spell Lists
Minor Elemental....................| 25

Spell Lists
Wizard.............................| 23

I am not looking to do much enchanting. I would just like to be a well rounded CoL Wizzard.

zhelas
08-03-2006, 08:50 AM
What exactly are you having problems with your wizard? AS/DS?

TheEschaton
08-03-2006, 09:03 AM
If you can't spell wizard....

....well then. I should refrain from being arbitrarily mean here.

-TheE-

Landrion
08-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Well, it doesnt look like youre picking up as many magic skills per level as Id like to have for a runestaff defense, but youre heavily spell trained, so that explains where the points went.

Are you finding the DS too low?

I dont think you should be having any problems with bolt AS. Youve chased down the booster spells aggressively, fully doubled your aim and given yourself a killer dex on a race with a dex bonus.

Overall looks pretty good. Id probably go for a less aggressive spell rate and diversify into more skills over the coming levels. Look over the benefits of the elemental lores and decide on one that you like the best.

TheEschaton
08-03-2006, 09:41 AM
I personally go 2.33x spells, 1x profession, .66x in your elemental circles, last I checked it was the most efficient formula (but that was two years ago). Of course, that's in regards to the CS formula, something which probably doesn't affect you so much.

So, IMHO, drop your spell ranks, pick up something like lores. Pick which element figures into your RP best, if any, pump some lores into it, and use those spells to be a true killer.

-TheE-

zhelas
08-03-2006, 10:00 AM
Well, it doesnt look like youre picking up as many magic skills per level as Id like to have for a runestaff defense, but youre heavily spell trained, so that explains where the points went.

Are you finding the DS too low?

I dont think you should be having any problems with bolt AS. Youve chased down the booster spells aggressively, fully doubled your aim and given yourself a killer dex on a race with a dex bonus.

Overall looks pretty good. Id probably go for a less aggressive spell rate and diversify into more skills over the coming levels. Look over the benefits of the elemental lores and decide on one that you like the best.

I have talked to Wuxong about his wizard. I do believe it is his DS that he is having problems with. Would you recomend dropping a couple of his spell ranks in order to bump up his MIU and Arcane. Possibly 2x in those since they are cheaper spell ranks?

2x MIU (Cheap runestaff points)
2x AS (Cheap runestaff points)
2x Spell aiming
1x elemental mana control
1x to 2x in HP
Possibly 1x in elemental lores (at least working up to 20 ranks of Air elemental control for Hand of Tonis?)"
about 2.5x in Spell

Landrion
08-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I personally go 2.33x spells, 1x profession, .66x in your elemental circles, last I checked it was the most efficient formula (but that was two years ago). Of course, that's in regards to the CS formula, something which probably doesn't affect you so much.

So, IMHO, drop your spell ranks, pick up something like lores. Pick which element figures into your RP best, if any, pump some lores into it, and use those spells to be a true killer.

-TheE-

Kind of.

The thing is that for up to 60 ranks over 1x, your base circle contributes more CS than the minors do. You are dead on about 2/3 being the most efficient amount of cs gained in the 2nd circles.

Unfortunately, wizards are more complex because of 425/targetting. 425 gives a straight +25 to CS and more importantly AS. Plus it grants additional bonus for the number of Spell Ranks above 25 that the caster knows in the Minor Elemental Circle divided by 2. The maximum bonus allowed is 50. So for a wizard with targetting each level of minor circle is throwing .5CS and .5AS from 25 to 75 ranks.

I think Lohlem used to say anyone who doesnt maximize his benefit from targetting first is a fool. I dont know if I agree, but the spell's importance is hard to overlook. At level 25 I would definitely keep at 1xME to utilize that 1 for 1 return. Id probably keep it singled until that 2 for 1 return vanishes as well.

Theres probably some other boosters I havent thought through. My wizard wasnt much higher than the posters so I hadnt worked out all the details of training and I havent played him in a long while.

Data on the main cs equation:
http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=19348
According to QRS, CS is calculated by the following:

CS = (level x 3) + primary spell circle bonus + secondary spell circle 1 + secondary spell circle 2 + stat bonus

-----------------------------
Primary spell circle bonus: (round normally)
Ranks up to level: 1CS/rank
Ranks 1-20 above level: .75CS/rank
Ranks 21-60 above level: .5CS/rank
Ranks 61-100 above level: .25CS/rank
Ranks 101 -? above level: .125CS/rank

Secondary circle bonuses:
Ranks up to 2/3 level: .33333CS/rank (round up)
Ranks above 2/3 level: .1CS/rank

Stat bonus:
AU for elemental casters
WI for spiritual casters
(AU+WI)/2 for sorcerers (round up)

Landrion
08-03-2006, 10:11 AM
I have talked to Wuxong about his wizard. I do believe it is his DS that he is having problems with. Would you recomend dropping a couple of his spell ranks in order to bump up his MIU and Arcane. Possibly 2x in those since they are cheaper spell ranks?

2x MIU (Cheap runestaff points)
2x AS (Cheap runestaff points)
2x Spell aiming
1x elemental mana control
1x to 2x in HP
Possibly 1x in elemental lores (at least working up to 20 ranks of Air elemental control for Hand of Tonis?)"
about 2.5x in Spell

That would put him about 11.5 runstaff ranks a level. Personally, I had 12 or 13 per level (I forget exactly) and found the defense acceptable mid-20s. But I must admit that I really didnt research how the DS for rune defense charts out in the long run. I trained it aggressively and didnt get to test it out over a long career.

Play.net says:
In order to benefit defensively using a rune staff, it is best to have at least eight magical ranks per level. A magical rank can be in any magical skill in the Character Manager, and each skill, regardless of cost, is weighted equally. Eight magical ranks per level is equivalent to 1x training in two-handed weapons and provides defenses as if the user had 10 additional parry ranks. Each additional magical rank per level will increase the caster's effective weapon ranks. To be proficient with a runestaff, it is expected that a typical caster will have 10.5 to 11 magical ranks per level.

Their ideas of "at least" never jibed with anything Id want to play. But at 11.5 Id think he should be fine.

zhelas
08-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Wuxong Your rune staff ranks come from theses skills.

Magical skills include:
Arcane Symbols
Elemental Lores
Elemental Mana Control
Harness Power
Magic Item Use
Mental Lores
Mental Mana Control
Sorcerous Lores
Spell Aiming
Spell Research
Spiritual Lores
Spiritual Mana Control

http://www.nilandia.com/combat/runestaves.htm

Doing 3x or close to 3x in spell research only will yield you 3 ranks per train at an expensive cost. (I always used to think that your primary circle gave you more in ranks) Where you could easily spread the points to MIU/AS that cost alot less to train it.

Like Landrion said each rank over over the minimum of 8 will increase your effectiveness by 5%.

Which spell ranks to lower in order to increase your other skills to help you with your DS? Maybe someone here will know better than I.

Valthissa
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Disclaimer - I'm not a runestaff user

decreasing spell ranks will have at least these effects:

1) Free up training points
2) Reduce the characters AS, DS, CS, & TD
3) Reduce spell durations

Since the question is about DS the reduction is:

Wizard -1.25 / rank
Major -.75 / rank
Minor -1 / rank (for ranks above 30)

If you drop back to 518, 920, 425 you lose 6.25 DS but gain enough TP's to double arcane, miu, and pick up enough air lore to make tonis bolt work. You would also go from 10 magical ranks per level to 12.4. How much that increases DS I'm not certain, but if the 5%/rank is correct than it more than offsets the loss from spell ranks.

I advise anyone that asks about spell training to get 425 at 25 and 430 at 30.

C/Valth (geez it's hot and boring at work today)

Valthissa
08-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Disclaimer - I'm not a runestaff user

decreasing spell ranks will have at least these effects:

1) Free up training points
2) Reduce the characters AS, DS, CS, & TD
3) Reduce spell durations

Since the question is about DS the reduction is:

Wizard -1.25 / rank
Major -.75 / rank
Minor -1 / rank (for ranks above 30)

If you drop back to 518, 920, 425 you lose 6.25 DS but gain enough TP's to double arcane, miu, and pick up enough air lore to make tonis bolt work. You would also go from 10 magical ranks per level to 12.4. How much that increases DS I'm not certain, but if the 5%/rank is correct than it more than offsets the loss from spell ranks.

I advise anyone that asks about spell training to get 425 at 25 and 430 at 30.

C/Valth (geez it's hot and boring at work today)

Wuxong
08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
thank you everyone this has been more then enough info to update my wizzard.... I main problem i was having is DS all of these ideas have given me a new idea on what to do .. i will screw around and see what i come up with and post the end result.. thanks again you enless tome of knowledge known as PC .....

Ignot
08-03-2006, 09:01 PM
Your DS still should be fine given your current setup though at 25. What the hell are you hunting?

Ignot
08-03-2006, 09:12 PM
i assume your not walking around in offensive stance too