07-27-2006, 10:12 AM
Stop ruining Gemstone.

Thanks.

The Ponzzz
07-27-2006, 10:15 AM
A fuck, what happened?

StrayRogue
07-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Post this somewhere he'll actually read it. And actually include some content that means shit.

Aphyd
07-27-2006, 01:52 PM
Heh, sorry I was hung over this morning and still pretty drunk, and was reading through the official boards about random stuff that Warden has nerfed...and how he's so strict on new item introduction and stuff.

I'm an angry drunk.

Asha
07-27-2006, 02:00 PM
Do it anyway. Warden needs to hear more whining.

HarmNone
07-27-2006, 02:02 PM
Heh. No problem with venting here, Aphyd. It does, however, help to identify more clearly what it is you're venting about. The GMs do read here. We do serve a purpose in the community. At times, we're a thorn in their sides but, at others, we're a source of information that can be useful to them if they'll put aside their personal issues and listen to the players. I've been surprised by the number of times that's happened, as evidenced by the emails I've gotten confirming that a GM has read and taken under consideration a comment, or series of comments made here. :)

Aphyd
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Well, it was kind of one of those drunken "reminiscing about the past" moments...where a few years ago they were allowing all these really nice items into the game, things were a lot different....

..and lately things just seem to be diminishing. And I always hear in Chat, and IM's, and on the boards about how soandso can't happen because Warden won't allow it, how he's a nazi (nobody invoke Godwin's law) against the old ways, etc. etc. etc. Like how he had the mechanical flares on the Mech Crossbows from Anfelt nerfed.

Then I started thinking...man...people always complain about Warden's strictness in private, but nobody ever calls him out on the forums or anything, and I started wondering why....

...Next thing I knew my drunk ass made that post ;)

Aithzar
07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
Well, it was kind of one of those drunken "reminiscing about the past" moments...where a few years ago they were allowing all these really nice items into the game, things were a lot different....

..and lately things just seem to be diminishing. And I always hear in Chat, and IM's, and on the boards about how soandso can't happen because Warden won't allow it, how he's a nazi (nobody invoke Godwin's law) against the old ways, etc. etc. etc. Like how he had the mechanical flares on the Mech Crossbows from Anfelt nerfed.

Then I started thinking...man...people always complain about Warden's strictness in private, but nobody ever calls him out on the forums or anything, and I started wondering why....

...Next thing I knew my drunk ass made that post ;)

Guess its don't bite the hand that feeds you. ::shrug::

Aith/Russell

Leetahkin
07-27-2006, 04:12 PM
One could also say that we are the ones feeding them - some spend oodles of money to play this game.

But, I've no opinion about this person - Warden. Never heard of him.

StrayRogue
07-27-2006, 04:13 PM
You've never heard of Warden? Are you a noob or something?

Kitsun
07-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Considering how far behind the scenes Warden is, it isn't too surprising if casual players haven't heard of him. He posts maybe once a month on the officials and it typically isn't even about a game balance topic but whatever he feels like rambling about at the time.

Leetahkin
07-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I never go to the official boards :shrug:

GS4-D
07-27-2006, 04:55 PM
What exactly did he nerf on the mechanical crossbow...

Artha
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM
Warden's the guy that nerfs everything you love.

Aithzar
07-27-2006, 05:50 PM
What exactly did he nerf on the mechanical crossbow...

Crit strength.

Aith/Russell

Latrinsorm
07-27-2006, 07:03 PM
but whatever he feels like rambling about at the time.With the way he randomly pops into topics, he must be either in league with or the same person as Krakii; by which I mean he must read every topic on the boards.

Warden's alright by me.

Drew
07-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Warden's alright by me.

I would like to see more cool items released into the game. I have all the cool crap I want pretty much but it'd be nice to give new players a chance at cool stuff.

Numbers
07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
I can't say I envy Warden's position, as he probably has to make some very tough decisions regarding game balance. But, good god, he's not a game designer. And, while I'm not a game designer as well, I have been playing video games of various forms for 23 years, so I know that when you have the option of choosing between something that's unrealistic but fun, or realistic but tedious, you choose the fun one.

Games are supposed to be fun. Realism is not always fun.

GS4-D
07-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Crit strength.

Aith/Russell

You mean flare strength? How was the crit strength nerfed? Crits are random these days.

Lassiter 506
07-28-2006, 09:06 AM
No beef with Warden, despite seeing some people leave because of the changes he helped implement. Just wish he would make the hunting areas more challenging. I suppose the 130+ area will solve that.

GS is pretty well balanced, across the classes. Only thing left for him to fix is downgrade bone shatter's effectiveness, and make empaths spend more mana for a potent attack spell.

Tea & Strumpets
07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Warden has pictures of Whatley with farm animals.

Stanley Burrell
07-28-2006, 10:17 AM
They don't call him the Warden for nothin'.

That was supposed to sound impressive and what have you...

...Anyway, I have no beef with Warden not only being one of the few voices to discuss fairness in game balance, but actually do heaping tablespoonfulls of behind the scenes work to implement it in already existing uneven systems... As well as soon-to-be mechanics from the lesser amount I read on the officials.

Gan
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
GS is pretty well balanced, across the classes. Only thing left for him to fix is downgrade bone shatter's effectiveness, and make empaths spend more mana for a potent attack spell.

Blasphemy! May a thousand fleas infest your armpits for even entertaining such an idea.

Not like 702, 705, 903, 904, 905, 906, 907, 908, 303, 306...

Yea, empaths are way over balanced (dont get me started on spells like cone, major ewave, implode, sonic disruption, spikethorn, boilearth...)

Riiiiight. Quit whining.
pffffft.

StrayRogue
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Heh 1106 is not overpowered.

Fission
07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
So let's say they actually do downgrade Bone Shatter to make it more "fair."

What's the next "too overpowered" spell or ability they'll downgrade after that?

That's a bad downward spiral to get into. I'd much rather see increases and tweaks rolled in for other spells and abilities, or new ones made, before they pull down an existing one.

StrayRogue
07-28-2006, 12:06 PM
They are downtweaking 1106, No idea when it will be "fixed".

720 needs a nerf.

Asha
07-28-2006, 12:11 PM
720 will never be nerfed. It does need it.

Lassiter 506
07-28-2006, 12:21 PM
"Ganalon's Post."

Never said bone shattered was overpowered. I'm saying it should cost much more mana to use in it's current form. Not so much directed at you... but it's about time empaths start using mana conservative strategies that clerics and sorcerers adopt at the midgame and near endgame.

Bone shatter, at the moment, is as effective as 317. Except, one costs 11 more mana. This is not a whine - it is fact. The new changes that are coming will balance this out. I suggest you farm as many boxes as you can with bone shatter in OTF for the next few months, because the days of blasting through everything with 6 mana are limited.

Lassiter 506
07-28-2006, 12:26 PM
"So let's say they actually do downgrade Bone Shatter to make it more "fair."

What's the next "too overpowered" spell or ability they'll downgrade after that? "

I didn't propose it, Simu did - it's on the goals list for 2006. Empaths will likely be forced to use a 15 mana spell in lieu of 1106 to achieve a similar effect.

Gan
07-28-2006, 12:29 PM
If they nerf 1106 then they should give us the option to fixskill the lores invested in enhancing the effectiveness of the spell. Or give empaths more offensive spell options. Not all empaths are made to have fat asses and camp in resting spots to immitate vultures.

And I also use 111, and 1110 since those are the only 2 other offensive spells empaths have in their repoirtire. Since boneshatter is not a universal application for all critters. And 1106 is totally useless on plane 5. If you dont use 1110 or 111 then you might as well head to OTF.

StrayRogue
07-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Huh? You need less training in Manip lore as you age as an empath. At cap you only need 1 rank.

Artha
07-28-2006, 01:04 PM
Not all empaths are made to have fat asses and camp in resting spots to immitate vultures.
Not true. See Artha's Empath Guide for more information.

Lassiter 506
07-28-2006, 01:07 PM
"720 will never be nerfed. It does need it."

Virilneus' player would blow up St. Louis if it happened.

Fission
07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
I didn't propose it, Simu did - it's on the goals list for 2006.

At least we now know one goal that Simu isn't likely to push back.

StrayRogue
07-28-2006, 01:10 PM
Actually it already has been.

Doughboy
"720 will never be nerfed. It does need it."

Virilneus' player would blow up St. Louis if it happened.

Implode was nerfed almost a year ago. Mind you, it's still rediculously strong.

Asha
That is literally the only reason they wouldn't allow it to be touched.
If they tweaked it down he'd create a petition to get as many players as possible to leave GS.
They fear his Dwarven charismatic power.

But then again it would just be filled with hundreds of people saying they'd leave if it didn't go their way, which none (including Virilneus himself), would honour in the end.

Artha
07-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Petitions don't work. Anyone remember the petition when Simu last raised their prices?

Sean of the Thread
07-28-2006, 01:16 PM
720 is overpowered?

Gan
07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Not true. See Artha's Empath Guide for more information.

:lol:
You got me.