PDA

View Full Version : Spell Aiming

AestheticDeath
07-23-2006, 02:01 PM
OK, all of my sorcerers have 2x in spell aiming, or they got none at all in the early levels when it was all about CS, and didnt need it.

My question is, how well do the appropriate spells work if you only 1x in spell aiming?

More concerned with 708, and being able to target the legs on things. But also with the effects on 710 and 720.

Thanks

Numbers
07-23-2006, 02:08 PM
Not too well.

CaptContagious
07-23-2006, 04:51 PM
My Sorcerer has max spell aiming, and even then, I have noticed that If i am trying to 708 the left leg of something more than 5 levels over me my CS is lower. With Energy Maelstrom, I believe it doesnt affect the damage, just how many you can control at once.

crb
07-23-2006, 05:19 PM
2x spell aiming is cheap and useful in more than a dozen ways, why not double in it?

AestheticDeath
07-23-2006, 05:49 PM
Anyone who actually singles in it at the moment care to chime in?

mgoddess
07-23-2006, 07:29 PM
My sorc only singles in it, but I can't really offer any help, since she's only 15...

I.I.
07-24-2006, 05:37 AM
I've only ever singled in it, and I've never really wanted to train any more than that. Haven't seen much need to since I don't hunt with FI or 111. Unless you hunt with those spells there's really not much need to train in it in my mind.

crb
08-07-2006, 02:03 PM
It also helps with FM & 708. 708 being an extremely useful spell in many hunting areas with deadly or annoying square-critters who are immune to stuns.

Asha
08-07-2006, 02:10 PM
I'd never go 1x with aiming since i need every point of CS to ensure the janissary and seer loses their arms.

zhelas
08-07-2006, 02:20 PM
I've only ever singled in it, and I've never really wanted to train any more than that. Haven't seen much need to since I don't hunt with FI or 111. Unless you hunt with those spells there's really not much need to train in it in my mind.

I agree with the above statement. Myself, I have been 2x in aiming for 61 trains, but I FI to make up by the fact that I can not ward as well as i would like. I use target 708 alot when hunting in a group. I can't remember when I used 710 or 111 last.

Recently as I get closer to 70 trains I have been considering reducing spell aiming down to 1x. The idea of redistributiing 700 training points to spells and other skills is appealing.

Zhelas

zhelas
08-07-2006, 02:27 PM
I'd never go 1x with aiming since i need every point of CS to ensure the janissary and seer loses their arms.

Since I am not old enough to hunt there yet. With the redistribution of those extra spelling aiming points towards spells, increase your CS enough that warding would not be as much of an issue since you would get more stuns and kills? Therefore blasting off arms may not be needed as much?

Zhelas

AestheticDeath
08-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Yeah I never used 708 behind the barrier. For some reason I never use set up spells when I solo. I just go for the kill. Most of the time it works. 719 destroys the casters, and I just 702 or 705 the others, it almost always takes them down or does something to incapacitate them for a bit.

Though 708 probably would have been more helpful in a swarm, I almost always died in them anyways. I was always afraid of using area spells, even 410, just cause there were so many people hunting there.

zhelas
08-07-2006, 07:01 PM
I was always afraid of using area spells, even 410, just cause there were so many people hunting there.

I am moving a bit off topic but I can't wait till the new high level area opens up so it will spread out the hunting groups instead of having everyone in OTF.

Olanan
08-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Or they could learn to not suck and, say, add a few 95-100 creatures to the rift. A new plane could be discovered, or they could be added to plane 5.

All while making the new hunting ground.

zhelas
08-25-2006, 04:27 PM
Still not sure whether or not to lower my spell aiming to 1x from 2x. I look at this hunt posted by Liberi Fatali and i might reconsider keeping the 2x in spell aim. http://forum.gsplayers.com/showthread.php?t=12834&page=232 I see that the focused Maelstrom could be a possible life saver if you are caught in RT.

Numbers
08-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Keep the 2x. Focused limb disruption alone is worth it. The number of creatures you can completely disable/keep from casting from a quick disruption is huge. Plus there's implosion and maelstrom, and the option to always fall back on wizard wands.

AestheticDeath
08-25-2006, 07:43 PM
Do you use focused limb disruption against casters more often then 703?

Numbers
08-25-2006, 09:11 PM
Depends how long it takes to kill them. If I can't kill them within one cast of 703 (15 seconds), I'll take a limb instead. That'll keep them from popping off a cast in the few seconds it may take to reapply 703.

StJimmy
08-26-2006, 10:07 PM
I use limb disrupt on the right hand of janissary's quite a bit because they love to try and knock my runestaff out of my hand with their weapon and leave me with up to 20 seconds roundtime. If I'm planning on being in a room with a couple creature for more than a few seconds, I'll disable my biggest threats first.

I also use it on anything I see using a crystal weapon to knock it out of their hand, then I disintigrate their weapon, just for laughs.

I'm 2x spell aiming and it rarely fails to hit.

crb
08-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Here is why to train in spell aiming, when critters have higher TDs, you can do this:

You gesture at an Ithzir seer.
You hurl a roaring ball of fire at an Ithzir seer!
AS: +464 vs DS: +269 with AvD: +59 + d100 roll: +44 = +298
... and hit for 91 points of damage!
Extreme heat melts the skin off an Ithzir seer's left hand. Gross!
The roaring ball of fire strikes an Ithzir seer, blossoming into a much larger sphere of flame upon impact.
... 15 points of damage!
Burst of flames to right leg blackens kneecap.
The Ithzir seer falls to the ground in a crumpled heap.
The opalescent aura fades from around an Ithzir seer.
The deep blue glow leaves an Ithzir seer.
The Ithzir seer no longer bristles with energy.
The dim aura fades from around an Ithzir seer.
An Ithzir seer seems to lose an aura of confidence.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits an Ithzir adept.
... 10 points of damage!
Minor burns to chest. That hurts a bit.

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits an Ithzir janissary.
... 20 points of damage!
Nasty burns to right leg. Gonna need lots of butter.
It is knocked to the ground!

A burst of flame from your roaring ball of fire flies off and hits an Ithzir seer.
... 30 points of damage!
Fire burns through neck and destroys carotid artery. Painfully bloody way to die.
The Ithzir seer clutches at his wounds as he falls, the life fading from his eyes.
The opalescent aura fades from around an Ithzir seer.
The deep blue glow leaves an Ithzir seer.
The Ithzir seer no longer bristles with energy.
The dim aura fades from around an Ithzir seer.
The powerful look leaves an Ithzir seer.
An Ithzir seer seems to lose an aura of confidence.
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.

Asha
08-27-2006, 09:29 AM
Or implode (enhanced wth better spell aiming?) or 435.
But I agree, 111 is fucking amazin.

AestheticDeath
08-27-2006, 01:19 PM
435 is affected by spell aiming? Or you are just saying that is another option to get around TD?

Asha
08-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Another option to get around TD.