Twilight Hall's Open House Tours

DDR Presents Terasian Craps

The E.D.A. Offers Support to Ta'Vaalor

Seafarers' Festival Hosted by Cairnfang Manor

The Northern Fury Drills

mgoddess
07-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Storven Works for the WL Warrior's Guild

Feh on merchants who work in the mornings on weekends...feh, I say!

(j/k Merchants who work mornings on the weekends are awesome...those just happen to be the times when I actually sleep in (til noonish, Central).)

Syberia
07-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I disagree.

The level of roleplay at some of these events is superficial at best. I actually think that Gemstone's roleplay in general is lacking and it's hardly the roleplay experience it was touted as being.

It's not the fault of the event organizers, just that most people who attend have the idea that roleplay is simply not talking about baseball and television outloud. And the people who do roleplay tend to do so in tighter groups, I think to shield themselves from the other sort.

I have first place, second place, and attending token items in my locker from many events that I've tried to take part in, with the goal to find roleplay, and not one of them did I walk away with a memorable roleplay experience. They were a fun game experience, in that they succeed highly, but I disagree with the original poster - roleplay in Gemstone is on life support.

Jolena
07-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I completely disagree with you Syberia. During the many events over the last 12 months that I've hosted through my PRO, we've found RP very much alive and well from the people who participated. That doesn't even include all the events that I have attended where the same was seen in those participating and hosting.

I think that sometimes, people get the attitude that RP is dead if there is not some major storyline, drama-instigating, or life-changing event happening to push the RP right in their faces. The truth is, RP takes a lot of very subtle and not-so-subtle forms, and sometimes people have a hard time acknowledging that the subtle forms of RP that do not involve the drama or life-changing events are still, in fact, RP.

Drew
07-23-2006, 04:40 PM
I completely disagree with you Syberia. During the many events over the last 12 months that I've hosted through my PRO, we've found RP very much alive and well from the people who participated. That doesn't even include all the events that I have attended where the same was seen in those participating and hosting.

I think that sometimes, people get the attitude that RP is dead if there is not some major storyline, drama-instigating, or life-changing event happening to push the RP right in their faces. The truth is, RP takes a lot of very subtle and not-so-subtle forms, and sometimes people have a hard time acknowledging that the subtle forms of RP that do not involve the drama or life-changing events are still, in fact, RP.

Yeah, that.

Syberia
07-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Subtle is a higher form of roleplay over drama, though both can add to the depth of a situation. My post was not to say that we need more shadow-touched giantmen raping elven maidens and then offering up their newborn children to Luukos and all the drama that ensues.

But to say that a scavenger hunt or a group hunt is roleplay, when attending these events yields more ooc discussion on where or how than actual ic discussion, I fail to see how this promotes any level of subtle or dramatic roleplay.

The lack of consistent meat-and-potatoes style roleplay was the driving force behind my husband and I canceling our account this week. We tried to make our own, include random people, along with simply just being the characters, and the results were not enough for us to stick around for the roleplay in this game. We came from a game with no big storylines or GM interaction, and we never found it during our six months here. We know how to create our own, but the tit-for-tat is missing the tat in Gemstone.

We tried joining a House, attending PRO events, hanging out in Hearthstone, hanging out in Solhaven, going to Ta'Vaalor, and interacting with every single person we could get a response from along the way, we hosted a storytelling on the Darkwoodes around the Landing, I pimped out my husband's character to date a giantwoman based on a language barrier (which had potential, pity she took it all OOC and thought he was really interested in her. I think she was really young though.), hung out, wove flowers, tried to sell Imaera blessed flower charms. In six months, the list goes on and on regarding what we tried to do to initiate roleplay from random (unknown and popular) people.

I think we were just wrong in our assumption on what Gemstone and Simutronics were to provide. We're from the RPI world and thought that Gemstone would be a nice mix of roleplay with good mechanics for the down time. It's not the fault of the game, just a fault of our perception.

Back to the post at hand, I do not agree that many of these events foster roleplay. They are fun and creative games, but it's rare to find one that provides a solid base for character interaction.

TheEschaton
07-23-2006, 05:25 PM
We tried to make our own, include random people, along with simply just being the characters, and the results were not enough for us to stick around for the roleplay in this game. We came from a game with no big storylines or GM interaction, and we never found it during our six months here. We know how to create our own, but the tit-for-tat is missing the tat in Gemstone.

Contrary to your experience, I find the most rewarding RP comes from random interactions with random people. You just have to try a few times. For example, I'm a priest, and I always expound on philosophical treatises with people around. Some people are like "wtf this guy is crazy", but some respond really well.

Sorry you didn't find what you're looking for.

-TheE-

Shari
07-23-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm going to disagree as well. I was fortunate enough to experience both of Taelith's alter sessions and while you do get your occassional moron running about, there is rp alive and active.

And even when I'm not waiting for work, and I'm just resting in the Park, VC, or the dais, (Yeah, I have a char in almost every major city now :D ) I witness a wealth of roleplaying. It may not be dramatic, but people are making the effort and while I may not participate with them all the time, its nice to watch.

Shalla
07-23-2006, 06:34 PM

I completely agree with this post. Some people think that RP is limited to speaking ye olde english and doing a major story line, arguing about I r half elf I r bitter and dark elves eating halflings. ( which I think are getting old, but at least they're roleplaying )

I think people just don't utilize the things available to them. If you're badly injured, stop jumping around asking are there any empuffs? Change your tone to weak and act injured. Same thing for just after being raised. If you have a badly injured neck.. don't be so verbal and try using the ACT command without abusing it.

When you're at a table with friends.. Don't just zombie out or talk. Try ordering food. I was just eating an apple cookie in game today and roleplayed being hungry. ^_^ even if there's no benefit or consequence to my character if I do or not.

HouseofElves
07-23-2006, 06:56 PM
Events =! Role-play

Ilvane
07-23-2006, 07:26 PM
Keep in mind this folder is about gems, so if you don't like something, take it over to complaints! Thanks guys.:)

Angela

Mighty Nikkisaurus
07-23-2006, 09:21 PM

I agree entirely.. roleplay to me is just removing yourself from your own personality and putting yourself in the character's shoes, then using the tools in game to act that out.

I think that in game, it's a lot like in real life.. the big stuff sort of makes you who you are, but you're defined by those small quirks and characteristics. During brief roleplay or less intense, those quirks have more of a chance to shine because the character is in a less stressful situation.

Obviously, some people just don't care about roleplaying, and yeah, I agree people to tend to group up to shield themselves from that. However, it's pretty easy to get into a circle of roleplayers -- I'm yet to see a group that doesn't welcome adding new "regulars".. sure, there are cliques but in this case, I don't think it's that bad.

Alfster
07-23-2006, 09:25 PM
I agree entirely.. roleplay to me is just removing yourself from your own personality and putting yourself in the character's shoes, then using the tools in game to act that out.

Like being preggers

Stanley Burrell
07-24-2006, 04:58 AM
Double plus good for all things roleplay related :thumbup:

...And I thought that Hsark was the official Warrior Guild merchant dude-type guy person?

A heartfelt beh! for missing that. Anyone know what kind of stuff Storven did?

Ilvane
07-24-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm pretty sure it was just weapons and armor, but I didn't make it either. I was heading there and my mom needed something at the hospital, so I couldn't go in.:(

Angela

Necromancer
07-24-2006, 08:49 PM
We got plenty of roleplaying at the Sorcery events we've held

Aphyd
07-26-2006, 11:53 AM
If roleplay were live and well, then it would be prominant in and outside of events.

You'd have "roleplay" events going on constantly in the park, in TSC, everywhere....and wouldn't have to label them with a title and put them on the calendar for it to happen.

That's what people don't realize...Having played GS for 11 years now, the roleplay in Prime has died off substantially since I started. That's one reason I went to plat. Not saying that plat is perfect, by any means, but there's a lot less "pet peeves" that drive me nuts.

StrayRogue
07-26-2006, 11:56 AM
You just get to roleplay with a whole lot less people.

Jacare
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
You just get to roleplay with a whole lot less people.

Better signal to noise ratio.

StrayRogue
07-26-2006, 12:59 PM
Yeah, if you like to watch other people masterbate.

Jacare
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
And avoid douchebags.

StrayRogue
07-26-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm curious to know what makes you think plat has a lower idiot to none idiot ratio than prime.

In my encounter there idiots weren't extinct by no means.

Warriorbird
07-26-2006, 01:35 PM
All I'm gonna say is that if Syberia is SKATEMOM...woo hoo!

:done:

Jacare
07-26-2006, 01:36 PM
What makes me think that? My years of experience in Plat versus my years of experience in Prime. Maybe it's because the average player in Plat is older than his or her Prime counterparts. Maybe it's because you're less likely to act like a jerkoff and get locked out when you're dropping $50 a month instead of $15. I don't know. But the fact is Plat has fewer idiots per capita.

I'm sure there is a small core of good people in each Prime town. But the idiots outman them by a staggering margin. You literally cannot get away from the idiots in Prime no matter where you go. From level 0 to 100, River's Rest to Vaalor.

In Plat the opposite is true. There are idiots here and there. But they are the exception rather than the rule, and thus easily avoided.

StrayRogue
07-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I'm sure there is a small core of good people in each Prime town. But the idiots outman them by a staggering margin. You literally cannot get away from the idiots in Prime no matter where you go. From level 0 to 100, River's Rest to Vaalor.

Dumbest thing I've read today.

You only say this because the idiots in Prime are easy to spot. We have the boards here, and Psinet where the most prominent few gain recognition. Just because these fools are pointed out more often than the majority of other people are praised for being consistent does not mean the idiots outnumber the normal people. Not by a long shot.

In my last two days of being on the dais, a hot spot for e-peen action, I've only encountered about 10 real idiots. And this is considering the countless hundreds (yes hundreds, a number of players plat would be hard to get online all at once) who've moved through the area throughout the day.

Jacare
07-26-2006, 01:50 PM
In my last two days of being on the dais, a hot spot for e-peen action, I've only encountered about 10 real idiots.

Dumbest thing I've read all day.

So aside from all the CS-whores, MA mana batteries, and AFK zombies who are between power hunts you've ONLY encountered ten "real" idiots in two whole days? Man, I'm going back to Prime.

StrayRogue
07-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Er, yeah? I can only remember the name of a few as well. But I know I've rolled my eyes only about a dozen times in the last couple of days.

StrayRogue
07-26-2006, 01:53 PM
And the only two people who have been constantly AFK since I've been there are generally Alex and Jamus. Otherwise it's empty of sleepers in the early hours.

Fallen
07-26-2006, 07:08 PM
What the hell is a CS-whore? A post capped character?

Jacare
07-26-2006, 08:49 PM
What the hell is a CS-whore? A post capped character?

Someone so enthralled by their own Casting Strength that they'll use any excuse whatsoever to silence/blind/bind/web/sleep/etc someone, regardless if the business at hand involes them or not.

Aphyd
07-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Someone so enthralled by their own Casting Strength that they'll use any excuse whatsoever to silence/blind/bind/web/sleep/etc someone, regardless if the business at hand involes them or not.

Ohhhh, so THATS a CS-Whore...

Yeah I make CS-Whores my Feint-AmbushHead bitches. w0rd.