PDA

View Full Version : Finally Converting: Any suggestions?

Bombadil
06-23-2006, 04:01 PM
Ok, I've hashed out the numbers and Paladins do hands down dish out far more damage then do warriors (at least the training path I'm taking..two weapon user). First, tell me if I'm wrong,....

1.) I can train my pallie so that he flares twice every other round,if my attacks stagger I can guarantee 1 flare every 2 out of 3 rounds, and using probability will on average flare 2.64 every 3 rounds. Not only that, but there are chances for double flares. I think plasma flares do around 20-30 points of damage?

2.) My AS is just way higher then a warriors (I think a margin of like 70 something, and if I throw in spirit strike it just becomes ridiculous.)

3.) All the essential cmans are accessible by paladins.

4.)I get to wear plate the same time as a warrior.

5.) I get neat group damage spells.

6.) I get to screw around raising people.

7.) I get to RP a knight (personal preference).

So, umm, I really don't see the point of staying a warrior. I mean whats the point? Any thoughts?

DrZaius
06-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Ok, I've hashed out the numbers and Paladins do hands down dish out far more damage then do warriors (at least the training path I'm taking..two weapon user). First, tell me if I'm wrong,....

1.) I can train my pallie so that he flares twice every other round,if my attacks stagger I can guarantee 1 flare every 2 out of 3 rounds, and using probability will on average flare 2.64 every 3 rounds. Not only that, but there are chances for double flares. I think plasma flares do around 20-30 points of damage?

2.) My AS is just way higher then a warriors (I think a margin of like 70 something, and if I throw in spirit strike it just becomes ridiculous.)

3.) All the essential cmans are accessible by paladins.

4.)I get to wear plate the same time as a warrior.

5.) I get neat group damage spells.

6.) I get to screw around raising people.

7.) I get to RP a knight (personal preference).

So, umm, I really don't see the point of staying a warrior. I mean whats the point? Any thoughts?

If it's what you want to do, then I say go for it. I just have a few thoughts, based on your points.

1) No clue- probably right, haven't run the numbers
2) As is your DS
3) But at a higher cost- also, no guild stuff.
4) Really? I didn't realize paladins could afford to 3x to 80 then 2x to 140. Honestly. If you can figure out the TPs for it though, go for it. You're probably going 2HW though, and you shouldn't overlook some of the pally's spells for the shield; they're crazy.
5) Yup.
6) waaaay down the line. And once a day. I can see how it could be a handy RP device though. Do pallys need 24 ranks of share to raise?
7) You can do that as a Warrior too ;)

Overall, Just do what you want; I'm sure there are no mechanical penaties to playing a paladin; you just might sacrifice more to cast those spells then you might want.

Bobmuhthol
06-23-2006, 04:15 PM
<<You're probably going 2HW though, and you shouldn't overlook some of the pally's spells for the shield; they're crazy.>>

He said two-weapon. And I think it's 1610 that can't be used in combination with zealot, so even with my onehanded paladin I don't use it anyway. :(

mgoddess
06-23-2006, 04:23 PM
Playing around with Tsoran's spreadsheet, a TWC'ing paladin who is also singling in spells isn't going to make it until 60-ish. Just not enough TP's, even with maxe Strength and Wisdom from the start. (This is counting 2x Armor, 2x Edged, 2x TWC, 1x CMan, 1x PF, 1x Dodge, 1x HP, 1x Spells, .5x Climbing, .5x Swimming. This plan goes into negative TP's until 62.)

Sure, playing a paladin is fun, sure they have the spells and the awesome AS/DS...but playing a paladin that is exactly like how your warrior is set out, plus spells, probably isn't going to happen. (I've considered many, many times converting my Whirlwind warrior to a paladin, and she wouldn't work out at all...not enough TP's. :/)

Meges
06-23-2006, 10:13 PM
With the proper training in lores, you can raise up to three times a day.

"1640 · Divine Word [DWORD] Duration: Immediate

Type: Utility

Those Paladins that truly dedicate themselves to their patron Arkati are granted the ability to raise the dead. This rare gift can be used once per day. Because Paladins do not study the miraculous rites for raising the dead as much as Clerics do, a Paladin will only receive one quarter of the experience a Cleric would.

There is a percentage chance equal to 100% minus the caster's Spiritual Mana Control (http://www.play.net/gs4/info/skills.asp#manashare) (SMC) skill that the resurrection attempt will severely injure the caster, possibly resulting in the caster's death. It is recommended that the caster have 102 skill in SMC before attempting to raise the dead.

Training in Spiritual Lore, Religion (http://www.play.net/gs4/info/skills.asp#spirlore) increases the number of times the Paladin is able to raise the dead in a given day; 2 times per day at 20 ranks and 3 times per day at 40 ranks."

https://www.play.net/gs4/info/spells/spelllist.asp?circle=13

Meges

Doughboy
06-24-2006, 12:14 AM
Paladins suck!

KrolvinScout
06-24-2006, 09:57 PM
I'd agree..Don't listen to any Advice Bisco gives you...He sucks at Paladins, I pwn him many times in the face

DrZaius
06-25-2006, 12:06 AM
With the proper training in lores, you can raise up to three times a day.
Meges

That's true; it's just so cost-prohibitive (Religion Lore isn't worth raising, and 2xing Lore is very difficult) that you're better off just playing a cleric.

Olanan
06-25-2006, 01:05 AM
KrolvinScout, you asshole.

I was going to say that. :(

KrolvinScout
06-25-2006, 02:21 AM
KrolvinScout, you asshole.

I was going to say that. :(

But see, you saying that doesn't hold much merit in comparison to me, because back when Paladins were first released, I was the "Go To" Guy with the training..Even Valicar liked the way I rolled :)

Olanan
06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
But Bisco is my gnome's whore, so...double impact.

KrolvinScout
06-25-2006, 05:59 PM

Damnit, you have me beat.

Doughboy
06-25-2006, 11:14 PM

To quote one of Jenovadeaths best roleplaying moments:

DaLynched1
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
<<You're probably going 2HW though, and you shouldn't overlook some of the pally's spells for the shield; they're crazy.>>

He said two-weapon. And I think it's 1610 that can't be used in combination with zealot, so even with my onehanded paladin I don't use it anyway. :(

1609... Basically if you decide to use the best offensive AS spell (zealot) then you handicap yourself further and can not use your best DS spell (1609).

Doughboy
07-06-2006, 03:35 PM
It is very apparent that KrolvinScout and Olanan love me and would like to have hot steamy monkey sex with me.

Axhinde
07-06-2006, 03:47 PM
1609... Basically if you decide to use the best offensive AS spell (zealot) then you handicap yourself further and can not use your best DS spell (1609).

1609 does not affect DS. It increases your chance to outright block with a shield by 10% base, Lore modified. If you're going the TWC or 2HC route and have access to society bonuses, then Zealot is the only way to go.