PDA

View Full Version : The Item I Hate the Most!!!!!!

SpunGirl
10-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Anything covered in any type of gem dust.

When did this trend start, and what bonehead GM let it continue? It's not just altered items, either, I've seen these offered at merchants as regular items.

This doesn't make any SENSE. When was the last time you sauntered into Coach and picked up a new handbag covered in ruby dust? Diamond, emerald? What is it, magic Elanthian glue that holds the dust on? If you DUST the item, will the dust come off?

Rawr.

-K

Artha
10-25-2003, 09:52 PM
I hate things that remind me of airbrushed 70s vans.

CrystalTears
10-25-2003, 10:38 PM
I've always considered it larger chunks of glitter. I don't have a problem with it but I can see how it would bother someone.

What I've been wondering about lately has been the etched items, since my fiance has brought it to my attention and now I'm baffled. Like bone-etched. What exactly does that mean? Does it mean it was etched with a bone? Does it mean it has bone fragments? Etching means to cut into the surface of something to make a design. So does it mean it's made of bone and it's been etched?

Someone explain this to me, or is this another Simu staff's way of saying that they don't know what etched means and they just use it because it sounds neat for alterations?

Adhara
10-25-2003, 11:00 PM
I thought etch meant burn the surface lightly with acid to give it a frosty look. That's why I'm puzzled when I see anything etched in fabric...

As for gem dust, I think I have one item with dust and I quite like it. One now and then is alright and can bring accent to an outfit, 4-5 and it becomes saturday night fever. How does the dust hold? I don't know and I don't feel the need to know. There are many things in Elanthia that don't make sense and if I let them all bother me I'd be insane by now.

What I can't stand is the tapestry embroidery. Now mind you I have seen it done very tastefully but the tasteful ones never included a <race> <profession> doing <stupid action here.> I mean, if you must, if you absolutely must have you and your boyfriend embroidered on your cloak, at least try not to slap a loving/jealous/tortured/(other emotion impossible to convey via embroidery) look upon their face.

[Edited on 10-26-2003 by Adhara]

Yeesh I should not post before going to bed.

[Edited on 10-26-2003 by Adhara]

Back
10-25-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Artha
I hate things that remind me of airbrushed 70s vans.

::chuckle:: You know? Or those airbrushed t-shirts in malls? Too funny Artha.

DCSL
10-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Hm... I don't really hate these items, but they do make me want to hit the person that made them over the head with a thesaurus.

Things that are 'fitted'.
Gem-dusted stuff, sometimes.
Hair that cascades.
Eyes that bewitch or captivate me for some unknown reason.
The (insert some sexy bodice)/close-cut (black or white) leather skirt or short black (velvet or leather) skirt/thigh-high (color) leather boots combo. This one I really hate. Everyone and their wrinkled mother wears this combination.

StrayRogue
10-25-2003, 11:28 PM
Cascading hair gets me too.
Etched means having tiny carvings cut into whatever material. Fabric should not really be etchable.

DCSL
10-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Oo, inlaid! Inlaid is another one some people have trouble with. I once saw a bone-inlaid hat. How do you inlay a hat? Did the person carve into the hat and put in pieces of bone in a pattern? I dunno, but it can be baffling.

JustMe
10-26-2003, 01:38 AM
I have one character that has a bunch of diamond-dusted stuff. I just think of it as glitter. Diamond dust = white glitter, sapphire dust = blue glitter. You get the point. She's really really girly though so glittery stuff would fit her well.

The Cat In The Hat
10-26-2003, 01:08 AM
I have a few silver dusted things but.. if you look at her outfit as a whole it fits because she has a container that once held silver dust, and as you know that stuff gets everywhere!

Cat

I, she, me, it, we're all the same!
*Edited because Im too sleepy to see myself as me one second and her as me the other.. screw it im goin to bed

[Edited on 10-26-2003 by The Cat In The Hat]

Rowi
10-26-2003, 01:34 AM
I HATE Rhinestones! although i havent seen any in game.

Ilvane
10-26-2003, 01:43 AM
My shield--Edged in polished black opals, the tower shield is intricately detailed with the image of an Elanthian night sky. A fine sprinkling of diamond dust sparkles over the deep black background, and a comet comprised entirely of tiny white opals completes the image, its tail flowing across the painted night sky. You also notice a small enchanter's mark.

My armor--Expertly crafted midnight black faenor links are fitted together to offer strong but unrestrictive full body protection. A fine sprinkling of diamond dust sparkles over the deep black background and a single plate shaped to resemble the full moon sits over the heart of the wearer, completing the vision of an Elanthia night sky. Painted in beautiful detail upon the plate is the image of a silver-edged black blade. You also notice a small enchanter's mark.

I like to think they aren't cheesy..:lol:

-A

StrayRogue
10-26-2003, 01:48 AM
When I think of diamond dusted things, I remember in primary school (kindergarden for you folks) when we'd draw pictures with glue then put them in a bit of sparkly gubbings the dust off the excess sparkly shit. What remained was the picture you drew in glue, just covered in glitter and such.

Ilvane
10-26-2003, 01:49 AM
Thanks hon, love you too.;)

-A

StrayRogue
10-26-2003, 01:50 AM
:thumbsup:

My pleasure.

Pallon
10-26-2003, 02:50 AM
Any item with an unrealistically large and detailed picture engraved/embroidered on it

Artha
10-26-2003, 08:13 AM
I think etching with bones means etched, then with a matching bit (or bits) of bones stuck in the hole.

How things are etched:

The plate is first covered with varnish, or some other ground capable of resisting the acid, and this is then scored or scratched with a needle, or similar instrument, so as to form the drawing; the plate is then covered with acid, which corrodes the metal in the lines thus laid bare.

So I would guess that bone was then stuck in where the acid ate away.

HarmNone
10-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
When I think of diamond dusted things, I remember in primary school (kindergarden for you folks) when we'd draw pictures with glue then put them in a bit of sparkly gubbings the dust off the excess sparkly shit. What remained was the picture you drew in glue, just covered in glitter and such.

I always tend to think of them as pave' settings done with tiny chips. I have never disliked them if they are used in moderation.

HarmNone tries not to be too critical of others' alters

Askip
10-26-2003, 09:38 AM
Ilvane, I do not think your items are cheesy, and who am I to judge? I bought a diamond-dusted buckler because it was an inexpensive 10x shield, and I never gave a moments thought to having it changed when I added the dragons. :D

IC'ly, I can see where having dust would be a waste on an item that had to endure battles, but that can be said of many decorations.

I must admit that I do not look at folks items as keenly as I did years ago. Also, I've heard but not tested that an INSPECT of someone else's item will be seen by the owner, true? It's not IC for Askip to get that close to another PC.

Betheny
10-26-2003, 10:06 AM
Dighn's shield has like, dancing kittens on it or something.

Hahhahahhaa.

Adhara
10-26-2003, 10:09 AM
I like the concept of inspect but I don't use it for exactly the reason mentioned above.

Artha
10-26-2003, 10:21 AM
I've always liked 'inspect bodice', then blushing.

StrayRogue
10-26-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Artha
I think etching with bones means etched, then with a matching bit (or bits) of bones stuck in the hole.

How things are etched:

The plate is first covered with varnish, or some other ground capable of resisting the acid, and this is then scored or scratched with a needle, or similar instrument, so as to form the drawing; the plate is then covered with acid, which corrodes the metal in the lines thus laid bare.

So I would guess that bone was then stuck in where the acid ate away.

Just one of the few ways to etch, mind you.

Artha
10-26-2003, 10:46 AM
Probably, I just checked in a dictionary link, and it was the first thing I saw.

DarknessWithin
11-09-2003, 04:17 AM
You mean you don't hate Glaesine orbs SpunGirl?? :lol:

IMO, I can't stand the gem dusted stuff either. I mean seriously, who would sit there and hack away at a ruby or diamond till its turned to dust? shards going everywhere...ruby dust stuck under your fingernails...I mean Aack! :D

Drew2
11-09-2003, 04:41 AM
Only the person whos item you're inspecting can see you doing it.

edited to show proof:

---Tayre's View---

>unhide
You stumble out of hiding.
>
Kristalis just licked Ellisuian!
>
Lady Kristalis's group just went west.
>inspect ellisuian bodice
You look closely at Ellisuian, examining a pale jade ivy-stitched bodice. You can tell nothing else about it from here.
>
Ellisuian giggles.
>
Bunnykins murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Ellisuian glances at you.
>
Bunnykins gestures.
Bunnykins' left hand looks better.
>
Ellisuian stands up.
>
Ellisuian appears to be trying to concentrate when suddenly her eyes widen and she twitches with a quick shiver.
>
* Gohann just bit the dust!
>
Ellisuian innocently exclaims, "Tayre!"

---Someone else's view---

Tayre comes out of hiding.
>
Kristalis just licked Ellisuian!
>
Lady Kristalis's group just went west.
>
Ellisuian giggles.
>
Bunnykins murmurs a simple, mystical chant...
>
Ellisuian glances at Tayre.
>
Bunnykins gestures.
Bunnykins' left hand looks better.
>
You feel less drained.
>
Ellisuian stands up.
>
Ellisuian appears to be trying to concentrate when suddenly her eyes widen and she twitches with a quick shiver.
>
* Gohann just bit the dust!
>
Ellisuian innocently exclaims, "Tayre!"

[Edited on 11-9-2003 by Tayre]

Myshel
11-09-2003, 09:44 AM
I have a few "dusted" alters but they are evening wear and in my opinion very tasteful. You see them in rl all the time. Sparkling evening gowns and shoes are normal. I have a shimmering gown too, which in my imagination is shiny material that "looks" shimmerery. I think that is an important point too.. everyone 's imagination is at play when you 'look' at something.

ocean blue high-heels sparkling with diamond dust

Des ka
11-11-2003, 07:28 PM
a blue-hilted shining silver claidhmore.

Nice claidh, but "blue" hilted? What the heck does that mean?

Does that describe that the hilt is blue? If it does, the way its stated surely doesnt make any sense.

[Edit: Please keep it on topic, Warclaidhm Powerswing.]

[Edited on 1-3-2004 by Artha]

Des ka
11-11-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by DarknessWithin
You mean you don't hate Glaesine orbs SpunGirl?? :lol:

IMO, I can't stand the gem dusted stuff either. I mean seriously, who would sit there and hack away at a ruby or diamond till its turned to dust? shards going everywhere...ruby dust stuck under your fingernails...I mean Aack! :D

Easy ... diamond tipped drills :D

Myrianna
11-11-2003, 07:46 PM
Apparently some of you never wonder what happens to everything left over after a diamond is cut into a perfectly faceted square, circle, teardrop... Did we think they formed that way? *gaze*

MrThorbizzle
01-03-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Des ka
Nice claidh, but "blue" hilted? What the heck does that mean?

Thats stupid.

So if YOU type claidh...Where does claidhm come from?!?!

Shalla
01-03-2004, 10:42 AM
If there are fletchling glue to hold arrows.. then it's possible that things can be dusted. with gem fragments. What irritates me is that tapestry looking cloak.. armband and everything else that has a picture of a lone warrior/sorcerer etc. vanquishing or flying into oblivion. Don't expect me to respect whatever you're RPing especially evil.. If you're going to wear a one of those joseph and the technicolour dreamcoat crap.

Anebriated
01-03-2004, 03:49 PM
There are only really 2 items that truely bother me around the lands. the first is the one shield with the rainbow and little animals dancing... The second is Augies tart cutter. Am i the only one that was disappointed when she got it back after losing it in a solhaven invasion?

Fallen
01-11-2004, 07:49 PM
Dighn's shield has like, dancing kittens on it or something.

Hahhahahhaa. >>

It certainly did not. I will be the first to say how hideous my shield was, as it had moons and dimond-dusting and crap. No damned kittins.