PDA

View Full Version : 2006 World Cup!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Tromp
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
First game is this Friday!!! I just bought TiVo so I don't miss a thing.

England has a pretty light group besides Sweden. I'm picking them to go pretty far.

All the teams look really good. Ivory Coast is probably going to be the Cinderella story.

I pumped!!!

Make your picks/comments here.

Hulkein
06-07-2006, 04:28 PM
I pick the Mongolian Empire to win it all.

CrystalTears
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
My aunt and her husband went to Germany for 10 days to watch it. :(

Asha
06-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Sweden make me nervous. Still gonna get pwnt though.

Drew
06-07-2006, 05:28 PM
My local newspaper front page says "Brazil and Argentina have more skill and talent, should vie for it all" and then I flipped over to the next page and they picked Italy to take it all and Argentina to get knocked out in the semis:confused:. Anyway I'm gonna root for the US side of course, but I'm worried about our group. I'm hoping we draw the Czechs and maybe squeak by 1-0 past Italy on our good goalkeeping and the midfield keeping posession of the ball. It's a real tough group unfortunately. Don't think England will go terribly far without Rooney (I guess he still could play) and I just don't think they play good team ball, expect them to go down on a shootout maybe in the final 16?

Brazil should take it all with Ronaldo and Ronaldihno obviously but anything can happen.

Aaysia
06-07-2006, 05:34 PM
Go Go Italy! *ahem* I just watch for the cute guys.

Backing my own Trinidadian underdogs of course, but while I wish them the best, I'm not expecting them to get very far. Would be nice to be surprised though.

Miss X
06-07-2006, 06:37 PM
Yup, same for me Nevermind. I think we will thrash Trinidad & Tobago and Paraguay but Sweden is the more difficult match. I'd like to say we're going to win the world cup with ease but I honestly don't think we Brits could handle it. We need a dramatic hand of God style exit to make ourselves feel better.

Dude, is it the same up north with EVERY CAR having flags, flags hanging from windows etc? The whole of the SE have gone world cup mad.

Asha
06-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Dude, is it the same up north with EVERY CAR having flags, flags hanging from windows etc? The whole of the SE have gone world cup mad.
Heh yeah. Most of them up here insist on having two flags per car at least.
It's crazy.
I've secretly been saying a few words each night, at my bedside for Rooney.
Sad huh.

Nauriel
06-07-2006, 06:47 PM
im watching the Swedes :)

Drew
06-07-2006, 07:28 PM
Yup, same for me Nevermind. I think we will thrash Trinidad & Tobago and Paraguay but Sweden is the more difficult match. I'd like to say we're going to win the world cup with ease but I honestly don't think we Brits could handle it. We need a dramatic hand of God style exit to make ourselves feel better.

England should have no worries about advancing from group play, you guys drew an easy group.

Hulkein
06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
I hope America wins just so I can laugh at how a country that doesn't really care about the world cup won it.

Latrinsorm
06-07-2006, 09:47 PM
Is the World Cup like the Stanley Cup? Do we get to drink out of it and bring it to strip-clubs and such?

Alfster
06-07-2006, 10:15 PM
rofl @ soccer

Tromp
06-08-2006, 09:35 AM
All of you guys laughing about soccer is ok. Do me a favor and give a game or two a chance. The 1st game is the opener @ 11AM Eastern on ESPN2 w/Costa Rica vs. Germany (where the event is being held). The crowd and the excitement alone should peek your interest. There is a reason why it is the most popular sport in the world and the World Cup is one of the those reasons.

Aaysia
06-08-2006, 09:41 AM
Yup, same for me Nevermind. I think we will thrash Trinidad & Tobago and Paraguay but Sweden is the more difficult match.

*insert appropriate comment here defending her country's skill or something*

with an added hmph to the mix.

Asha
06-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Don't worry Aaysia, it will be quick.

Miss X
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
And almost painless.

Tromp
06-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Key Games to watch in my opinion:

Germany vs. Costa Rica (opening game with two good teams with Germany losing IMO)
Argentinia vs Ivory Coast (talk about fast pace and high scoring)
Mexico vs Iran (just to see Mexico beat the snot out of Iran)
Brazil vs. Croatia (predicting a tie)
Usa vs Czech (true test to see if our guys are bringing it)
USA vs Italy (My two teams going and will be heart broken if either lose)
Sweden vs England (one of the premier games of the tournament)
Portugal vs Mexico (just two good teams that have a shot to advance)
Iran vs Angola (yet another ass kicking for Iran)

Football (Soccer) newbs should consider one or all of the above games.

Yeah I'm just rambling but damn I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

firegirl
06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Woohoo! It becomes a cult down here during Cup Time. All the flags are up, Tv's ready in all the bars and the contant picking on the classic battle between Italy and Brazil (and the Portuguese that pretend they are brazillian)is happening.

we have a neighborhood pool going on, 20 bucks a pop.
here are some the Final game predication (not the group predcitions)..

Germany 2
Brazil 1

Brazil 3
Spain 1

Argentina 3
Germany 2

Brazil 2
Germany 3

Interesting though is that in each group C pick: Equador and Australia are on each pick. Group B we have 90% choosing Sweden and Croatia and for Group A we have Brazil and Italy as the major choosers.

Anyway, Enjoy World cup Everyone! I love watchin the men here getting superstitious during the games. It is a great feeling to watch all this.

Tromp
06-08-2006, 01:19 PM
For shame Firegirl. Where is your plug for Italia! Shame Canada didn't make it LOL.

Alfster
06-08-2006, 03:10 PM
All of you guys laughing about soccer is ok. Do me a favor and give a game or two a chance.

I gave soccer a chance in the past. It's still boring as shit and dumb as hell.

*edited to add - My girlyfriend however gets pissy with me whenever I talk shit about soccer, she loves playing it and watching it. Good thing I control the remote.

Drew
06-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Brazil 3
Spain 1

Spain in the finals??? Never gonna happen. Now if they could use the players in their professional league.....

Tromp
06-08-2006, 04:07 PM
Spain in the finals??? Never gonna happen. Now if they could use the players in their professional league.....

Well then they would have to change their name to Brazil with a hint of France and a splash England.

Latrinsorm
06-08-2006, 09:44 PM
All of you guys laughing about soccer is ok.I like soccer. Soccer fans (http://www.cnn.com/2004/SPORT/football/12/21/spain.fifa/index.html) make me shake my head sadly.

Tromp
06-09-2006, 08:43 AM
1st match in 3 hours and 17 minutes!!!!!

Asha
06-09-2006, 08:56 AM
1st match in 3 hours and 17 minutes!!!!!
Heh, it's not even going to be a match.
But I'll bet you 1m silvers Germany win.

Tromp
06-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Heh, it's not even going to be a match.
But I'll bet you 1m silvers Germany win.

Give me 1.5 goals and make it 100K (since I have no silvers what so ever) and you are sooo on!

Asha
06-09-2006, 09:12 AM
Since Ballack is recovering from his injury, I hope Costa put up a good fight and give Germany a run for their money.
Gonna be a good start to the tournament.

Deal btw, heh.

Tromp
06-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Since Ballack is recovering from his injury, I hope Costa put up a good fight and give Germany a run for their money.
Gonna be a good start to the tournament.

Deal btw, heh.

Witness?

Miss X
06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
I hope Germany lose tragically!

Asha
06-09-2006, 09:33 AM
I hope Germany lose tragically!
Sigh.. if only.
:(

firegirl
06-09-2006, 10:53 AM
For shame Firegirl. Where is your plug for Italia! Shame Canada didn't make it LOL.

100 percent Italian here - that is enough plug for them. Would LOVE to see them clean up but one thing I learned about italian men.. stubborn spolied Atheletes. They need to check their egos and play the game.

Tromp
06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
100 percent Italian here - that is enough plug for them. Would LOVE to see them clean up but one thing I learned about italian men.. stubborn spolied Atheletes. They need to check their egos and play the game.

100% Italian... Minchia...che BEDDA!!

We're not stubborn. It's the damn referees who don't do what they are suppose to after we pay them. And the egos can fit in those big stadiums just fine thank you.

Skeeter
06-09-2006, 01:51 PM
here's what's horrible about soccer.

Euro-trash guy fakes an injury. rolls around on the ground like he's dying. lays there long enough that the medics bring out a stretcher to cart him off.

Stretcher gets there and euro-trash jumps up and runs off saying he's fine. 5 minutes later the same Euro-trash guy who was so close to death that he needed a stretcher scores the goal that puts the game out of reach.

How can anyone watch this shit. in the NFL if you need a stretcher to take you off the field there's a chance you may never walk again.

Have some pride euro-trash. you make yourself and your sport look rediculous.

Asha
06-09-2006, 01:56 PM
It's part of the reason I enjoy watching the game. Watching them dive is hillarious.
But you're right we make our sport look as ridiculous as American wrestling.

Skeeter
06-09-2006, 02:05 PM
rofl you just pwnd yourself comparing soccer to wrestling.

Wrestling is fake. everyone knows wrestling is fake. it's just like any other tv show.

If wrestling is the standard you guide yourself by, soccer is even more rediculous than I thought.

Asha
06-09-2006, 02:08 PM
Honestly I admit, watching them roll around crying after someone wafts the air close to their shins is precisely why it's so laughable.
I didn't disagree. And I concede, footballers are a joke when they dive.

Tromp
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
rofl you just pwnd yourself comparing soccer to wrestling.

Wrestling is fake. everyone knows wrestling is fake. it's just like any other tv show.

If wrestling is the standard you guide yourself by, soccer is even more rediculous than I thought.

Futbol dives are similar in a way to some NFL wide receivers pass interferance calls or the majority of NBA fouls.

He's staying down on the ground usually to pause the game a bit so the rest of the guys can get a breather/drink/instruction from coach. Keep in mind there are no commercial breaks, time outs, 7th inning stretches.

Skeeter
06-09-2006, 02:15 PM
but there is a lot of eating orange slices and drinking capri sun

Tromp
06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
but there is a lot of eating orange slices and drinking capri sun

LMAO! Skeeter FTW!!!

Drew
06-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I thought the Germans might actually lose the opener. And the England game is at 9 in the morning tomorrow. I'll definately be sleeping through that, guess I'll tivo it.

Tisket
06-09-2006, 03:43 PM
One estimate of viewers tuning in at some point or other during the WC is at 1 billion. I will be among the other 4 billion people. I've tried to watch it and just can't seem to "get it". Oh well, baseball takes too much of my TV viewing time anyway.

Alfster
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Keep in mind there are no commercial breaks, time outs, 7th inning stretches.

That's because it's so damn boring everyone just wants the damn thing to end.

Tisket
06-09-2006, 04:33 PM
Wrestling is fake. everyone knows wrestling is fake.

You lie!!! Unless you are talking about the wrestling babes bewbs that is.

Everyone knows you can bodyslam someone and have them bounce right up :P

Latrinsorm
06-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Oh well, baseball takes too much of my TV viewing time anyway.I knew I liked Tisket for a reason. :heart:

Miss X
06-10-2006, 11:19 AM
Three points taken but by the narrowest of margins. Overall I was unimpressed with the English performance, the Owen substitute was ridiculous and the ref was giving EVERYTHING to Paraguay. I thought Gerrard, Beckham and Cole played well. We need to step it up if we want to get anywhere after the group stages though.

Asha
06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Agreed. Unimpressed on the whole but like they said, it's still three points.
The diving made by Paraguay was just sickening, the Ref was definately 'controversial' with his decisions and on the whole I'm not too confident we're gonna get real far like this.
Was nice of them to score our goal for us though.
rofl

Aaysia
06-10-2006, 06:30 PM
ok.. WTF was up with the ref for the Trinidad vs Sweden game. He was just making stupid calls and I don't think that red card was warranted for Avery John. Maybe it was just me, but the guys from Sweden looked like they didn't have anything to eat before the match, they were falling down at every fucking opportunity holding their legs. What pussies. The two guys I thought that werent' faking, were the ones that had to be carried off in stretchers.

All in all I thought we played a good defensive game. A little rough sure :D; but well nonetheless. It's crazy over here, out in the streets is just a sea of red. People in bars spilling out onto the pavements getting drunk and parading the streets like it's carnival all over again. I'm goin out to partaaaaay tonight!

Skeeter
06-10-2006, 08:17 PM
weird sport where a 0-0 tie is considered a huge victory.

Solkern
06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I Just watched maradona's Shot of the century, blew my fucking mind.

so awesome

Gan
06-11-2006, 01:15 AM
Just the fact that Paraguay made a score off a free kick into its own goal to give England its only and winning goal (1-0) was hillarious.

:rofl:

Czeska
06-11-2006, 03:40 AM
My parents brought an outfit back from Germany for my daughter so she's all decked out in her Deutschland Fussball gear.

It's either that, or her tshirt that says "Soccer is Life". She starts playing this fall. Oh, and she wants to know if she can be in the Olympics next time. :stare:

Drew
06-11-2006, 04:43 AM
Yeah I just watched England-Paraguay on tivo. Boring. Wish I'd just watched the first three minutes.

Volstock
06-11-2006, 05:06 AM
I Just watched maradona's Shot of the century, blew my fucking mind.

so awesome
Should watch Pele when he was young, Also around the 80ish for Germany the Matthaus rule the midfield, They score from midfield as easily as they set up plays. On a side note Spain is somewhat better this worldcup then last since they bought Beckem and Nakamura (I think). Brazil is always a top contender for the cup ever since the day of Pele, but if they play stupid like they did last worldcup with all the show boating and ball hogging. It'll be just another repeat of France pummeling them. Soccer is a team sport not a one man show and France proved it. As for England you guys was always strong, but it seems you Brits have a bit of a temper. Always seem to break down during the last 15 minute of the game if you don't have a lead.

Miss X
06-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Aaysia, I thought Trinidad played exceptionally well against a world class Swedish side. I disagree regarding Avery John though, he made an appalling tackle to get the first yellow card and I figured he'd end up getting sent off.

Ivory coast game was also impressive, despite the loss I thought that they really proved they're the best side to come out of Africa in a long time. They have a hell of a lot of respect out there now, as do Trinidad. :)

England are still gonna win the group though!

Aaysia
06-11-2006, 12:29 PM
weird sport where a 0-0 tie is considered a huge victory.

We kicked ass in playing. We managed to successfully play a defensive game and not have Sweden score on us. That to us was a victory in itself. Plus it's a huge deal seeing that this is the first time ever that Trinidad got to play in the world cup. Even if we lost miserably there would have still been celebration simply for the fact that we made it that far.

Aaysia, I thought Trinidad played exceptionally well against a world class Swedish side. I disagree regarding Avery John though, he made an appalling tackle to get the first yellow card and I figured he'd end up getting sent off.

Ivory coast game was also impressive, despite the loss I thought that they really proved they're the best side to come out of Africa in a long time. They have a hell of a lot of respect out there now, as do Trinidad.

England are still gonna win the group though!

I agreed for the yellow card for Avery, but not the red. And yeah, I was suprised at how well we played! The entire country is nervous about that England match :lol:

I didn't get to watch the Ivory coast game unfortunately. By that time I was out limin with my cousins and getting ready for the partaaaaay last night.

Asha
06-11-2006, 12:36 PM
If we play like we did against Paraguay, I'd be justified in believing Sweden are gonna do better against us than against your guys Aaysia.
Trin did bloody well in my book.

Emo Emu
06-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Am I the only one excited by the Iran/Mexico match right now?

- Arkans

Asha
06-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Am I the only one excited by the Iran/Mexico match right now?

- Arkans
Edited :
First half was not really worthy of much mention on either side even though both goals were conceded then.
Second half both teams upped their game into something I can only call equal in quality to any other team who've played the tournament so far.
The defence from Iran was very solid until their keeper set up the second Mexico goal. After that their nerve seemed to have gone and the rest went tits up.
Definately good football.

Emo Emu
06-11-2006, 01:03 PM
It's not a bad game at all, man. Iran is actually putting up a decent fight against a country like Mexico

I agree that it is no Sweden vs. Trinidad (my favorite game so far), but it is definately watchable.

- Arkans

USA vs. Czech Republic tomorrow. So torn between who to cheer for, but I'll say, GO USA!

StrayRogue
06-12-2006, 06:50 AM
American's talking about football makes me laugh. I missed the first England match, though :( I was watching Deftones instead.

Asha
06-12-2006, 07:05 AM
American's talking about football makes me laugh. I missed the first England match, though :( I was watching Deftones instead.
You missed Paraguay scoring our goal for us, nothing more.
I'd rather have gone to a gig to be honest.

StrayRogue
06-12-2006, 07:06 AM
Yeah they had it on the big screen there. You just coudn't hear anything.

Tromp
06-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Trinidad need to get help for their striker a whole lot quick. It was basically him vs. three solid defenders. They did incredibly well against a strong team.

Argentinia showed up in a big way against a team with lots of talent. Ivory Coast's striker is amazing.

Germany played strong without their best player. I may change my mind about them going to the final round.

Mexico played their typical aggressive game. I still don't think they can get far due to the size of their front line.

Portugal did fantastically well against a very fast and physical Angola. I was totally expecting an upset prior to the 1st goal.

Netherlands I think have a ball hog problem but it seemed to work yesterday.

GREAT GAMES ALL DAY TODAY!!!! My picks:

Australia
USA
Italy

Nevermind - I owe you some coin unless you want to pick another game.

Asha
06-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Nevermind - I owe you some coin unless you want to pick another game.

Heh, double or quits.
United States don't score. :)

Aaysia
06-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Trinidad need to get help for their striker a whole lot quick. It was basically him vs. three solid defenders. They did incredibly well against a strong team.

I totally agree. Poor Stern was oh so lonely.

Portugal did fantastically well against a very fast and physical Angola. I was totally expecting an upset prior to the 1st goal.

I could watch Cristiano Ronaldo play alllllll day long. *purr* He's so pretty.

I wanted to see the Italy match, I'll miss part due to work, feh. :(
I'm missing eye candy!

Tromp
06-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Heh, double or quits.
United States don't score. :)

Done!!!! :club:

Witness!?!

Back
06-12-2006, 12:19 PM
First off, I havent watched a game in years and know next to nothing about the game.

But, US looks good. They may be down by 1, but they have kept the Czecks on the defense for a good majority of the game so far.

Miss X
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
2-0 and it isnt even half time yet. Tough to come back from that, need to regroup at half time and come out attacking.

Hulkein
06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
I hope they get eliminated so everyone over here stfu.

Back
06-12-2006, 12:52 PM
Yeah. The US is hustling but the Czecks seem more accurate over all. A few inches and this might have been 2-1. The big striker for the Czecks went down so with that maybe the US can pull it tighter for the next half.

Wezas
06-12-2006, 12:54 PM
2-0 and it isnt even half time yet. Tough to come back from that, need to regroup at half time and come out attacking.

Damn, they're getting beat worse than the british in the revolutionary war.

Tromp
06-12-2006, 01:37 PM
I hope they get eliminated so everyone over here stfu.

Can you be anymore of an ass?

That being said this is the last time i'm going to jinx myself by betting on a game with Nevermind. :thanx:

Asha
06-12-2006, 01:39 PM
:)
Talented

Back
06-12-2006, 01:54 PM
Well, 3-0 Czecks. They look like they just dominated. The US couldn’t line up enough shots and the Czeck goalie was right on top of everything.

I wonder if the Czecks let the US push so hard in the first half to tire them out.

Skeeter
06-12-2006, 03:27 PM
if your team is ranked in the top 10. but it turns out they're worse than Trinidad & Tobego. Should your fans keep trying to make people care?

purely hypothetical question.

Sean of the Thread
06-12-2006, 03:38 PM
I wonder if the Czecks let the US push so hard in the first half to tire them out.

No.

Artha
06-12-2006, 04:52 PM
US would've gotten at least one goal, but for two inches too far to the left.

Aaysia
06-12-2006, 05:06 PM
I feel sorry for Ghana...

I'm happy cuz I was backing Italy. I came home to catch the tail end of the game. IMO Ghana should have gotten at least 2 penalty kicks. Poor Asamoah got bullied.

Back
06-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Why Goalies Hate the New World Cup Soccer Ball (http://www.livescience.com/othernews/060612_soccer_ball.html)
By Robert Roy Britt
and Bjorn Carey
posted: 12 June 2006
11:46 am ET

In the opening match of soccer's World Cup Friday, German midfielder Torsten Frings scored an amazing goal from 40 yards out. The ball started off straight and then tailed sharply to the right in the last 10 yards or so. It was an unstoppable shot, but with a different ball it might have been a simple save.

A scientist has explained why a new ball being used in this year's World Cup is frustrating goalies.

The new Adidas Teamgeist football, as it is called, has 14 panels instead of the 26 or 32 that traditionally create the hexagonal pattern.

Fewer panels means fewer seams, which will make the ball behave more like a baseball, says Ken Bray, a sports scientist at the University of Bath in the UK.

Complex whirls of air cause a spinning ball to drift toward the side that's spinning away from the ball's direction of movement [learn why]. A ball that's not spinning can bounce around unpredictably. Pitchers rely on this physics when throwing knuckleballs.

A good knuckleball is crazy because the ball rotates lazily in the air and the seams disrupt the air flow around the ball at certain points on the surface, Bray said.

"With a very low spin rate, which occasionally happens in football, the panel pattern can have a big influence on the trajectory of the ball and make it more unpredictable for a goalkeeper," Bray said last week.

Bray suggests one way to watch for the effect on TV.

"Watch the slow motion replays to spot the rare occasions where the ball produces little or no rotation and where goalkeepers will frantically attempt to keep up with the ball’s chaotic flight path," he said.

------------------------------------------------------------

I dunno... I’ve seen banana shots from the corner before today. Is this new Adidas ball really affecting the game that much?

Rosicky’s first goal today sure as hell did hook right into the corner.

StrayRogue
06-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Jesus the American vernacular in regards to "soccer" is just too funny. You can definately tell what nationality is writing what post/article just by the stupid American-izations they use.

Back
06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Not sure why you are surprised. Our vernaculars are different in many ways. Quit being a cunt, if you can for a second, and tell me how the American team did from a seasoned futbol fan’s point of view.

Asha
06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
tell me how the American team did from a seasoned futbol fan’s point of view.
They did shit.
Really really shit.

Drew
06-12-2006, 08:24 PM

Haha like when we talking on AIM during the group draw 6 months ago and I was really excited about it and you were like "I don't care about football terribly much" :wasntme:

Back
06-12-2006, 08:32 PM
They did shit.
Really really shit.

Well, I asked for it. :) After watching the games today if the US can pull at least one win out of the Cup it will be something of an achievement. It doesn't look too good with them playing Italy on Saturday. :(

Who the hell am I going to root for if the US team bombs?

Asha
06-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Who the hell am I going to root for if the US team bombs?
Do I really need to tell you?
Points to avatar.

If not I'd vote Czech Republic. I've enjoyed their football since seeing them do damage in 1998 cup tournament.

Drew
06-12-2006, 08:44 PM
England is my backup if the US is eliminated, but I think you'll see a better US side come out in the Italy game.

Artha
06-12-2006, 09:41 PM
When are the US v. Italy and US v. Ghana games?

Back
06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
England is my backup if the US is eliminated, but I think you'll see a better US side come out in the Italy game.

One banana, two banana, three banana, four
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more.
Over hill and highway the banana buggies go
Coming on to bring you the Banana Splits Show

Ok, that was in my paste buffer. lol.

If the US tanks I’m going to watch Argentina and Brazil (and might secretly root for ENG).

The US vs Italy game is this Saturday, the 17th, at 2:30pm EST. CZE will play GHA the same day beforehand at 11:30 EST.

Asha
06-12-2006, 09:57 PM
20:00 17 Jun Italy v United States
15:00 22 Jun Ghana v United States

Latrinsorm
06-12-2006, 11:19 PM
I could watch Cristiano Ronaldo play alllllll day long. *purr* He's so pretty.Is it just me, or did he have a little bit of a proto-mullet going?
I’ve seen banana shots from the corner before today.I think those are more analogous to curveballs than knuckleballs.

Back
06-12-2006, 11:24 PM
There certainly are a lot of faux hawks in this series.

Aaysia
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Is it just me, or did he have a little bit of a proto-mullet going?

I didn't notice. All I noticed was the yumminess :D

Miss X
06-13-2006, 06:24 AM
I'm hoping the US stay in, purely so I can spend more time looking at Claudio Reyna and Oguchi Onyewu. In fact, 90% of the US team are hot so that's reason enough for them to pwn Italy and Ghana.

Miss X
06-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Not sure why you are surprised. Our vernaculars are different in many ways. Quit being a cunt, if you can for a second, and tell me how the American team did from a seasoned futbol fan’s point of view.

Honestly, I don't think the US played *that* badly. I think they were just out classed. The Czech Republic were just too good. I think it would be sad if they don't make it through the group but they really need to win and at least draw the next two games.

StrayRogue
06-13-2006, 06:29 AM
Yes, outclassed by a superior squad.

Nieninque
06-13-2006, 08:22 AM

You really didnt miss much.
Good to win, but entertainment value was pretty poor imo

Leetahkin
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
I haven't read this thread, but here's something I saw (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199113,00.html)

:)

Back
06-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Brazil over Croatia, 1-0. Great game. Croatia played really well.

Man, this World Cup is stifling my productivity.

Asha
06-13-2006, 07:02 PM
Germany v Poland tomorrow at 8pm. That's going to be the one I'm looking forward to.
Soon the jawdropping games will start to happen, that's when this tournament takes over normal life, family, work ect.

Aaysia
06-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Kaka is cute. His name is hilarious though.

Asha
06-13-2006, 07:08 PM
He also knows how to kick a ball, as we saw in the last match.
oof.

Back
06-14-2006, 01:37 AM

They can be cute as the devil, just as long as they kick those balls.

I’m headed to my local this Saturday... I don’t care if its 11am. I am going to drink and watch Ghana vs Czecks and US vs Italy.

I marked it on my calendar. This Saturday at Lucky Bar, just south of Dupont, in DC. Anyone else who wants to come, please do.

TheEschaton
06-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Oh, and I didn't think the U.S. played all that bad. The first goal was given up due to nerves and because Koller is a fucking beast, the second the mighty Paul Robinson wouldn't of stopped either (mainly 'cause he's a Tottenham twat).

The third was just poorly defended. No excuses for that one.

Brazil didn't particular impress me, and neither did France - though suddenly the Czechs and the Swiss look that much better to me.

-TheE-

Aaysia
06-14-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the fantastic goal Germany scored against Poland today. I only caught the tail end of the game, but it was awesome. I also didn't know the reason why they disallowed the previous goal they scored a couple of minutes before that one. But whatever! They still won! It was a classic win too.

Back
06-14-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm surprised no one mentioned the fantastic goal Germany scored against Poland today. I only caught the tail end of the game, but it was awesome. I also didn't know the reason why they disallowed the previous goal they scored a couple of minutes before that one. But whatever! They still won! It was a classic win too.

I watched the whole game. Poland was down a man when Germany made that amazing goal in the 90th minute. They both played hard.

BTW, Adidas wants $130 for their Teamgeist ball. Decisions...

Asha
06-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Me v You tomorrow Aaysia!
On a serious note, I've been watching their team interact with all the fans of ours and felt nothing but total respect for them. They're probably the only team who are gracious enough to be playing and cirtainly deserve to have a good game.
I'll be watching, but totally rooting for both sides.

Latrinsorm
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
If you spend $130 on a soccer ball, I'm pretty sure you have to get bourgeois stamped on your forehead.

Let's go America!

Back
06-14-2006, 10:35 PM
If you spend $130 on a soccer ball, I'm pretty sure you have to get bourgeois stamped on your forehead.

Let's go America!

As long as its not an Adidas logo!

Aaysia
06-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Me v You tomorrow Aaysia!
On a serious note, I've been watching their team interact with all the fans of ours and felt nothing but total respect for them. They're probably the only team who are gracious enough to be playing and cirtainly deserve to have a good game.
I'll be watching, but totally rooting for both sides.

Omg totally excited for that game tomorrow. I can't wait! As for the comraderie, I think the guys are looking forward to it. It had a huge write up in the papers monday about how Dwight Yorke and Beckham are looking forward to matching up against each other.

I love rooting for the underdog. We're like a whole new level of underdog in when it comes to the world cup lol. And I usually back up England for the cup. Like you, I'll be rooting for both teams. I'll still curse up a storm if we lose though :(

Asha
06-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Hats off to Trini for scaring the decent teams and refraining from stamping on Rooneys foot (even though they fouled far too much). We played slow but scored 2 nice goals.
Overall an exciting match.
Get in!!!

StrayRogue
06-15-2006, 01:56 PM
I missed the match again. *stare*

Asha
06-15-2006, 02:00 PM
I missed the match again. *stare*
They brought Rooney on and we didn't instantly win the world cup.
Nothing else really.

Aaysia
06-15-2006, 02:06 PM
omg *falls over*

I was pacing, jumping, screaming at the tv, etc etc. I'm tired now. Beckham was everywhere on the fucking field, jesus. And I totally don't know why our coach didn't put Latapy in >.<.

I agree with Nevermind. Great game. Congrats to England, and I say that not being bitter (you bastards :p).

Oh yeah: It'll be easier to count our players that don't have the yellow cards rather than the other way around =/. We fought hard! Most of the yellow cards I agreed with. I didn't agree with the one for our goal keeper (I still dunno why he got that card, I mean he was by himself.. was going to kick the ball and all of a sudden the ref blows the whistle, wtf?) and... I can't remember the other one I didn't agree with but maybe it'll come to me later.

StrayRogue
06-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Yes, I have a friend from Trinidad living in London whom I think won't be too gutted about the effort they seemingly gave.

Asha
06-15-2006, 02:14 PM
The goalie was time wasting lol.
Yorke played immensly.. I can't really say enough praise for your guys Aaysia, but right now I'm just happy we qualify becouse for a moment.. I didn't think we were doing well enough.
What about John Terry's clearance off our goal line!!! rofl
amazing

Miss X
06-15-2006, 02:19 PM
Well that was scary at times, job done though. T&T played really well but there were just too many fouls. Last 30 minutes we stepped up a gear and were just the best side.

We really need to up the pace if we want to make it past the 1/4 finals, where we will probably play Argentina. Still, this is our best start to the world cup for some time.

England FTMFW!

Back
06-15-2006, 02:27 PM
That was a great match. TRI almost had an amazing goal but was offsides.

After the first ENG goal you could see the weight lift off the players shoulders. After that, another goal within the next 5 minutes.

Skirmisher
06-15-2006, 03:39 PM
All of England owes Terry a pint for making that miraculous save after the keeper couldnt get to the ball as it was about to cross the plane. Jumping and twisting his body and kicking the ball away like that deserves a poster to be made or something.

If T&T had scored there....who knows what would have happened.

Rooney too deserves many pints. England was doing nothing and had no energy until he came in. Once he did, England took control of the match.

Trinidad deserves kudos for not only making it to the cup but hanging in there with along time Soccer powerhouse like England especially when the population of the entire country is equal to probably Englands fourth or fifth largest city.

Asha
06-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Trin went through so much just to get into the tournament. 20 matches I think.
Looking forward to seeing them next time.
But it's also time to look forward to the rest of the cup now. :)

Back
06-16-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, crap. An uncle flew into town, without my knowing prior, so I will not be at Lucky Bar to see the US vs Italy game Saturday afternoon.

If you are in DC I hear the place to go is Lucky Bar. Have fun without me. :(

Dang this whole WC is killing my productivity this week!

Xandalf
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Dang this whole WC is killing my productivity this week!

I read somewhere that WORLDWIDE productivity is expected to drop around 40% during the World Cup, costing the global economy hundreds of billions of dollars.

Kinda funny if you really think about it... I'm sitting here talking about it rather than doing work like I should be.

Latrinsorm
06-17-2006, 03:53 PM
That red card for the American guy right before the half was pretty ridiculous. The elbow from the Italian guy was even more ridiculous though.

Drew
06-17-2006, 03:56 PM
That red card on Mastroeni was absolute bullshit, I couldn't believe my eyes.

Anyway 1-1 at the half, 10 on 10, Ghana beat the Czech's GO USA

Asha
06-17-2006, 04:04 PM
Ghana didn't just beat the Czechs, they fucking destroyed them.
Was shocking but awesome to see.

Miss X
06-17-2006, 05:00 PM
USA are bottom of the group, although it's not set in stone. Good performance considering all of the shitty decisions by the ref. I think based on tonights performance the USA deserve to go through. I doubt that they will though unfortunately.

Drew
06-17-2006, 05:06 PM
What a bullshit game. I hope that ref doesn't call anymore games. I think the US completely outplayed Italy and played more like the US team I expected to see against the Czechs. Anyway, considering the awful awful crap calls the US still isn't out of it. We need to beat Ghana and hope Italy beats the Czech republic.

Drew
06-17-2006, 05:07 PM
USA are bottom of the group, although it's not set in stone. Good performance considering all of the shitty decisions by the ref. I think based on tonights performance the USA deserve to go through. I doubt that they will though unfortunately.

What was the take on the ref's calls on the UK broadcast?

Skirmisher
06-17-2006, 05:10 PM
The red card called on Mastroeni was at BEST a free kick and probably not even that.

The elbow which drew blood was a slightly different story.

Miss X
06-17-2006, 05:12 PM
De Rossi red card the opinion was kind of split, but most thought it was justified. Mastroeni red card most thought was fucking stupid, it was a yellow but not a red. Pope red card.. Again most felt it deserved a red. The thing is, others have been getting away with much worse, the refs seem to be inconsistent at this tournament.

Drew
06-17-2006, 05:39 PM
US recap:

CURRENT STANDINGS:
Italy: 4
Czech Republic: 3
Ghana: 3
USA: 1

GAMES TO BE PLAYED:
Czech Republic vs. Italy
USA vs. Ghana

FOR USA TO QUALIFY:

USA must WIN against Ghana
AND
Italy must WIN against Czech Republic

OR

USA must WIN again Ghana
AND
Italy draws against Czech Republic
AND
USA score 4( + goals scored in Italy-Czech game) goals against Ghana

Alfster
06-17-2006, 05:53 PM
Hopefully the US will get knocked out so ESPN can stop putting that bullshit on in place of baseball

Drew
06-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Italian football practice (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z3ZJJl_Iwg&search=italian%20football). Brits don't watch this link because I don't want to hear your bitching about it being old ;)

Drew
06-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Oh, also Areanas seems more retarded to me as time goes on. Not using all our subs with 9 men in the game, not subbing for Eddie Pope. Luckily for him he's got DaMarcus Beasely to catch flak for being equally 'tarded going out and looking like he'd already played 90 minutes as a sub.

Aaysia
06-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Hehe, I heard my parents quarrelling about that bullshit red card on Mastroeni. I didn't watch the game since I probably would have quarrelled too and my voice has been hoarse since thursday and I want it back :(. I always get fired up watching football.

When I watched the Italy/Ghana game I was half-wondering how much Italy paid the ref off to be blind to how Italy was bullying poor Ghana, so I'm glad they won against Czech.

I did sneak a peek at the Portugal game this morning to watch Cristiano Ronaldo :D. It was totally worth it! I'm backing portugal for the cup. Go Portugaaaaaaaal.

Sean of the Thread
06-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Yay! Tampa is only 11 games back now! .. ... ...
Does Italy suck or did the USA really look like they had their shit together compared to the first game?

Drew
06-17-2006, 08:35 PM
Yay! Tampa is only 11 games back now! .. ... ...

Does Italy suck or did the USA really look like they had their shit together compared to the first game?

We had our shit together. If not for BS calls we would have won 2-1 or 3-1.

Nieninque
06-17-2006, 08:53 PM
Yeah, Italy are a good team. Getting a draw against them with 9 players is an awesome achievement.

Back
06-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Wow. France vs. Korea game is intense. Henry is everywhere you turn, but then again, so is a group of red jerseys.

Drew
06-18-2006, 05:46 PM
Wow. France vs. Korea game is intense. Henry is everywhere you turn, but then again, so is a group of red jerseys.

As much as I hate the French I feel bad for them getting a goal stolen from them.

Asha
06-20-2006, 03:34 PM
OMG that's the goal of the tournament!
Joe Cole FTW in the 33rd minute.
Get in!
Also, looks like we've lost a striker for the rest of the cup.

Aaysia
06-20-2006, 05:02 PM
I have a headache.

We played our asses off. Sancho made a stupid but honest mistake. Latapy tried to bring more energy to the team, but despite his efforts it wasn't good enough. Jesus Christ. I think my voice will go again. Welp that's it for T&T. It was fun while it lasted, and we played with style for this last game.

Go Portugaaaaal!

Asha
06-20-2006, 05:12 PM
and we played with style during our time in the tournament.

Edited it for you.

Aaysia
06-20-2006, 05:15 PM
hehe, true :)

Drew
06-20-2006, 08:31 PM
I have a headache.

We played our asses off. Sancho made a stupid but honest mistake. Latapy tried to bring more energy to the team, but despite his efforts it wasn't good enough. Jesus Christ. I think my voice will go again. Welp that's it for T&T. It was fun while it lasted, and we played with style for this last game.

Go Portugaaaaal!

Is it Trinidad and Ta-bay-go or ta-bog-o. Fun listening to who says it differently.

Aaysia
06-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Trinidad and To-bay-go

Miss X
06-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I think we need to hold a minutes silence to mourn the loss of Michael Owen. We are in the shit now with him out, Rooney not at full match fitness and a striker who has never even played in the premiership.

Lets hope Argentina beat The Netherlands tonight so we don't have to play them in the 1/4 (assuming they beat Portugal or Mexico in the R of 16.)

Asha
06-21-2006, 09:27 AM
Whenever I see the tesco advert with Owen getting his take out, running around looking healthy and happy I think ''awww... shit''.
I agree. We're fucked.

Back
06-21-2006, 11:43 PM
USA! USA! USA!

Just warming up for tomorrow morning’s match vs Ghana. I don’t have anything against Ghana other than I’d like to see USA actually score a goal on their own in this Cup.

Asha
06-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Lol Ghana are going to rip your heads off, you know this right?
They're nightmares when it comes to fouling ,and seriously stepped up their game recently.
Ghana> Usa & England.

Tromp
06-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Lol Ghana are going to rip your heads off, you know this right?
They're nightmares when it comes to fouling ,and seriously stepped up their game recently.
Ghana> Usa & England.

I wouldn't say the heads were ripped off. Besides that WTF call in the box, the game was pretty close. The nightmare fouling was all the f'ing dives Ghana took. They almost looked like the Italians! Eh it was a good run at least to get to Germany.

So much more good futbol on the way.

Go Italy!

Skirmisher
06-22-2006, 12:27 PM
Arena went on about the Penalty kick call.

I say he should look at our gameplan instead........

Well done Ghana and good luck.

Sean of the Thread
06-22-2006, 12:43 PM
I think the game clock should stop on penalties and injuries in say the last 5 minutes.

Tromp
06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
I think the game clock should stop on penalties and injuries in say the last 5 minutes.

It does kinda throughout the whole game thus the stoppage time. There was almost 4 minutes in the US vs Ghana game.

Congrats again to Ghana. They deserve some recongnition.

Sean of the Thread
06-22-2006, 01:09 PM
I mean at that end in the stoppage time where the acting begins.

Tromp
06-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I mean at that end in the stoppage time where the acting begins.

With all the thespians on the field, the game would take forever. Interesting twist none the less. I'll have to take it up at the next FIFA meeting.

Skeeter
06-22-2006, 01:39 PM
3 games 0 wins 1 goal. USA USA USA.

at least we can stop this soccer nonsense for another 4 years.

Tromp
06-22-2006, 01:59 PM
3 games 0 wins 1 goal. USA USA USA.

at least we can stop this soccer nonsense for another 4 years.

:club: :stfu: :unclesam:

Skeeter
06-22-2006, 03:09 PM
Don't get me wrong. I was rooting for the USA. I'd love to win a sport that everyone in the world cares about but us, just to stick it in their ass.

But I'm resigned to the fact that USA will never win that little gold vase.

StrayRogue
06-22-2006, 03:14 PM
Um, its not a vase. More like a solid gold statue.

Back
06-22-2006, 03:52 PM
Ah well. Still lots of games to watch.

Ronaldo just nodded an amazing goal for Brazil.

Sean of the Thread
06-22-2006, 06:07 PM
With all the thespians on the field, the game would take forever. Interesting twist none the less. I'll have to take it up at the next FIFA meeting.

Way too many thespians... thus why I said the last 5 minutes of the game. It's just common sense.

Latrinsorm
06-22-2006, 09:34 PM
The officiating was atrocious all around. I don't know how you guys put up with it.

How long until that CONCACAF thing starts again?

Back
06-22-2006, 10:00 PM
The officiating was atrocious all around. I don't know how you guys put up with it.

How long until that CONCACAF thing starts again?

From what I understand, FIFA has cracked down this year, and there have been more cards handed out than in any past Cup, or plain regular tournaments.

I’ve noticed they’ve toned it down since the USA vs ITL game. 3 red cards in one game? How often does that happen? Have those refs ever watched a hockey game?

Solkern
06-23-2006, 01:17 AM
SWEDEN FTW!

I have a bunch of friends that live in sweden so i'm rooting for them!

Back
06-23-2006, 01:29 AM
I’m rooting for my hemisphere. Go BRAZIL. (I secretly like Ghana FTW)

Nieninque
06-23-2006, 07:31 AM
here's what's horrible about soccer.

Euro-trash guy fakes an injury. rolls around on the ground like he's dying. lays there long enough that the medics bring out a stretcher to cart him off.

Stretcher gets there and euro-trash jumps up and runs off saying he's fine. 5 minutes later the same Euro-trash guy who was so close to death that he needed a stretcher scores the goal that puts the game out of reach.

How can anyone watch this shit. in the NFL if you need a stretcher to take you off the field there's a chance you may never walk again.

Have some pride euro-trash. you make yourself and your sport look rediculous.

I thought about this post yesterday when Euro-tr....errr no, US-trash guy gives the ball away on the edge of the area, innocuously falls over while doing so. Has a quick look in the direction of the goal, sees it is trouble then pretends he has an injury...I think you know the rest.

Poor little yankee boy...I laughed out loud.

Skirmisher
06-23-2006, 07:43 AM
That first goal by Japan was I think JUST the slap in the face that Brazil needed to get them out of their "Here we are, please give us our trophy" kind of feeling and play the soccer they are capable of.

I don't see anyone out there right now beating them.

I thought about this post yesterday when Euro-tr....errr no, US-trash guy gives the ball away on the edge of the area, innocuously falls over while doing so. Has a quick look in the direction of the goal, sees it is trouble then pretends he has an injury...I think you know the rest.

Poor little yankee boy...I laughed out loud.

You aren't speaking of Claudio Reyna right?

Miss X
06-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Argentina... They can beat Brazil.

Also, no being mean about Claudio Reyna! He's yummy and plays for the best team EVER.

Asha
06-23-2006, 08:17 AM
I'm seeing Brazil win the tournament. They've really got it together since their first game, which was so-so.

Wezas
06-23-2006, 01:04 PM
So, now that the US is definitely out, it's safe to close this thread, right?

Asha
06-23-2006, 01:15 PM
Aren't there any other supporters of their native countries left in the tournament, here?

Back
06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, I can trace back my heritage to a couple of European countries that are still in it.

But like I’ve said before I am sticking with my closest neighbors and rooting for Mexico, Brazil (hottest fans by far) and Argentina.

Nieninque
06-23-2006, 01:28 PM
You aren't speaking of Claudio Reyna right?
That's the one. Couldnt remember his name for the life of me, but he makes an awful mistake in defence, falls over in the tackle, takes a look over his shoulder first to see what was happening, sees that the player is in on goal, then lies down faking an injury. He goes off the field for "treatment" then a couple of minutes later is miraculously cured.

kek

Back
06-23-2006, 01:31 PM
That's the one. Couldnt remember his name for the life of me, but he makes an awful mistake in defence, falls over in the tackle, takes a look over his shoulder first to see what was happening, sees that the player is in on goal, then lies down faking an injury. He goes off the field for "treatment" then a couple of minutes later is miraculously cured.

kek

I need a can of that magic spray they use on the injury in question.

Asha
06-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Heh I love when the player has gone down and is trying to drama for a penalty or free kick.. he knows the game has carried but can't get up or it'll look like he dived.
So his team run on with a can of air, and spray him, he leaps to his feet and runs screaming back into the thick of the action.
It's fresh air, I tell you.

Skirmisher
06-23-2006, 03:56 PM

kek

Perhaps you did not follow the game or the aftermath very closely.

He was injured on the play.

Being injured has no bearing on the fact that he made a bad play but also does not mean you should cheer when a player is in fact hurt.

I certainly wasn't cheering when Owen went down.

Drew
06-23-2006, 04:51 PM

kek

You do know he came back but couldn't continue playing and had to be subbed right? This is a man who has never been subbed once. He could barely run when he came back out on the field, just playing with pride.

But as an aside it really pisses me off when the US team members take a dive (not nearly as bad as most other teams though). I wish we wouldn't do it at all. It would give me no small amount of pleasure to beat the euros at their own game and do it without taking a dive.

TheEschaton
06-24-2006, 05:14 AM

kek

Barring the fact that he was substituted before half time because he couldn't walk right, let alone run.

Of course, maybe he was faking his injury, and just didn't feel like playing any more when he was substituted 5 minutes before half time. Or maybe, he was the team captain, got legitimately injured, tried to stick it out for awhile, and couldn't even make it to half time, and got himself substituted for the good of the team.

How's England doing? Relying on Cro-Magnon asshats like Joe Cole to score your goals? You're lucky Liverpool is such a kick ass club. Of your 5 goals (including the own goal off Beckham's free kick), 3 have been scored by Reds players, one by Crouch, two by Stevie Gerrard. If you didn't have those guys, you'd only have an own-goal and a goal by a Chelsea caveman to speak of, and you'd be out of the tournament.

This pwning brought to you by a Liverpool and USA Soccer Fan. Please refrain from mouthing your asinine opinion on US soccer ever again.

You'll Never Walk Alone,
-TheE-

StrayRogue
06-24-2006, 05:17 AM
Who won the premier league last season?

TheEschaton
06-24-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm sorry, I could win the Premier League if I bought all my players with no regard for anything else.

-TheE-

StrayRogue
06-24-2006, 05:23 AM
Yes, thats right, now I remember, it wasn't Liverpool.

StrayRogue
06-24-2006, 05:28 AM
Wait wait wait? Who hasn't been in the top two positions in the last 16 years?

StrayRogue
06-24-2006, 05:33 AM
Yes, now I remember, that WAS Liverpool.

Nieninque
06-24-2006, 05:59 AM
Barring the fact that he was substituted before half time because he couldn't walk right, let alone run.

Of course, maybe he was faking his injury, and just didn't feel like playing any more when he was substituted 5 minutes before half time. Or maybe, he was the team captain, got legitimately injured, tried to stick it out for awhile, and couldn't even make it to half time, and got himself substituted for the good of the team.

You misunderstand me.
I didnt laugh at the fact that he was substituted through injury (real or imagined). I laughed at the fact that some dick on these forums was slating Euro football players for doing something that a US player subsequently did. The sad fact is that people all around the world do that whole play acting thing when they are playing competitive games. It sucks. It becomes laughable when you get someone saying "Oh, [country]'s football is not as good as our football because they dive and feign injury."

How's England doing? Relying on Cro-Magnon asshats like Joe Cole to score your goals? You're lucky Liverpool is such a kick ass club. Of your 5 goals (including the own goal off Beckham's free kick), 3 have been scored by Reds players, one by Crouch, two by Stevie Gerrard. If you didn't have those guys, you'd only have an own-goal and a goal by a Chelsea caveman to speak of, and you'd be out of the tournament.

This pwning brought to you by a Liverpool and USA Soccer Fan. Please refrain from mouthing your asinine opinion on US soccer ever again.

You'll Never Walk Again,
-TheE-

That's a pwning?
Hurt me you hunky thing. Then go learn a little about international football and football supporters.

When I am watching a England game, I couldnt give a toss about which club the players play for, provided they do the work. Whether they come from Liverpool, Chelsea or Accrington fucking Stanley, if they are wearing an England shirt, that's all that matters. Period.

Saying that "if it wasnt for reds players, you'd be out of the tournament" is as valid as saying that West Ham won the world cup in 1966.

And so England have a "cro-magnon" keeping them in the tournament? Shame the US couldnt even manage that then. And did you see the goal he scored? Goal of the tournament? It really shows the level of your 'pwning' skills when the best you can do is say "HE LUKS LYK A CAVEMAN"

StrayRogue
06-24-2006, 06:14 AM
Exactly Nein. I doubt many American's really understand about how football is followed over here. I'm betting he's never even been to a Liverpool game in his life as well.

Asha
06-24-2006, 07:46 AM
Anyone see the France + togo game?
Christ Togo came from nowhere, I hadn't even heard of them.
They played a frigging great game in the first half and scared the shit out of the France fans. Eventually though our pals got a 2 - 0 result from some awesome striking in the second half.
It's a shame Henry is coming to the last of his career. He's on fire.
Good play France.

Aaysia
06-24-2006, 08:03 AM
I came home in time to see that second goal that france scored. It was funny, I walk inside glance at the tv, see them running and I yelled "GOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAL" and so it was. I didn't even know who was playing at the time :lol:

I'm glad they won though. Yay 4 France!

Asha
06-24-2006, 08:16 AM
Since England are definately fucked, I'm going to buy an away France t-shirt and support them for the rest of the tournament.
Nous devons soutenir nos voisins, et je suis bien sur traitre.

Back
06-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Go go Mexico!

If they win its on to the quarter finals.

Are you MexiCANs or are you MexiCAN'Ts?

Back
06-24-2006, 05:31 PM
DAMN! I curse every team I root for!

I should become a republican.

Aaysia
06-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Congrats to England for the win over Ecuador.

As for the Portugal/Netherlands match - They hurt my eye candy! Poor Ronaldo :(
I hope they(Netherlands) lose horribly for this injustice.

Asha
06-25-2006, 03:26 PM
That was some goal by Beckham. To be honest free kicks are what he 'does'.
What about the ref though! What a twit, giving out cards all over the place and 2 to our lads for 'timewasting'.
Good match though. I enjoyed it.

Miss X
06-25-2006, 04:58 PM
Okay what the fuck... 16 yellow cards and 4 sendings off... Fucking ref had no idea what to do. Bonus though as two of Portugal's best players will be suspended when they play us next week! Yay.

Aaysia
06-25-2006, 05:05 PM
Yeah.. that ref was crazy. Both teams were brawling practically though. And that kick the goalkeeper collected.. OUCH.

Yay portugal! I'm so happy they won. :bouncy:

I hope Ronaldo will be fit enough to play next week >.<

Tromp
06-26-2006, 08:47 AM
That was some goal by Beckham. To be honest free kicks are what he 'does'.
What about the ref though! What a twit, giving out cards all over the place and 2 to our lads for 'timewasting'.
Good match though. I enjoyed it.

I think Beckham is playing hard. His set kicks are usually spot on. For some reason the media here are downplaying the poor guy saying he should be replaced with younger legs. As soon as I hear that, I change it to the latin channel and listen to the more animated broadcast with an international opinion of the game. Congrats to David for an outstanding game!

So what was the best game so far of the tourni?

Italia!

Asha
06-26-2006, 09:01 AM
I realy enjoyed Trinidad and Tobago v England.
I was on the edge of my seat.
Some spectacular defending in that match.

I love how Sven keeps saying, ''yes I know we played a poor game, but we'll get it back for the next match.''
Seems to me Englands games are only saved on the strengths on one or two players in each match. No match so far I've seen where the whole team looked in top form.

Aaysia
06-26-2006, 09:19 AM
The T&T vs England match was heartbreaking. All of the T&T matches I was on the edge of my seat for, obviously. I think in all of those matches were entertaining and passionate.

I'd pick the Portugal/Netherlands because I was expecting people to lose tempers and smash faces.

Tromp
06-26-2006, 09:33 AM
I loved the Argentia vs. Mexico match.

I don't know if anyone caught what MARQUEZ Rafael said to the camera after his goal but the camera caught it perfectly along with the thumb sucking. It was something along the lines of "Your Mother's Pu$$y". Right after that I was so charged for Argentia to knock them out. The overtime goal had us all dancing around.

Did I mention ITALIA!!!!!! TOTTI!!!!

Port/Neth was just pure entertainment. Figo's headbutt was hysterical.

Tromp
06-26-2006, 01:00 PM
Did I mention ITALIA!!!!!! TOTTI!!!!

WITNESS!?! TOTTI TOTTI TOTTI!!!!! Bravo bravo!

Skeeter
06-26-2006, 02:16 PM
damn, I kinda liked the soccer roos.

DrZaius
06-26-2006, 02:22 PM
normally; I would link to the Lebron 'Witness' shirt; but since the I-tais won that on a penalty kick after a dive, I won't today.

Alfster
06-26-2006, 02:31 PM
soccer suxx

StrayRogue
06-26-2006, 02:46 PM
Yeah, it must do. I mean it's only the most popular sport on the planet.

Tromp
06-26-2006, 02:54 PM
normally; I would link to the Lebron 'Witness' shirt; but since the I-tais won that on a penalty kick after a dive, I won't today.

Bah! Ya let me down.

The way I see is this:

The Aussie's had about 40 minutes of the man advantage and couldn't score when Materazzi was red carded.

Grosso made a stellar run that left Neill beat and reduced him to that stupid challenge in the box.

The Aussies played great but blew the chance they were given.

I must say that Marco Bresciano of Australia is an incredible baller (credit to the fact that he plays on an Italian club team).

Alfster
06-26-2006, 03:00 PM
Yeah, it must do. I mean it's only the most popular sport on the planet.

American idol is one of the most watched shows on television and it still sucks.

Being popular != lack of suckage

StrayRogue
06-26-2006, 03:02 PM
American idol is one of the most watched shows on television

In America.

Alfster
06-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Still, being popular has no relation to how much something sucks

StrayRogue
06-26-2006, 03:05 PM
I disagree. However I am in the belief that you think it sucks because your team fucking blows. If the US were anywhere good at football, you'd be all over it.

Tromp
06-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Don't pigeon hole the US football fan like that.

Asha
06-26-2006, 03:50 PM
No, do.

Stanley Burrell
06-26-2006, 04:01 PM
If los tres lions play my homeland, I'm going to have to root for los tres lions, because Vickle told me to. And she is the S/d soccer diva.

GO U.K.!

Alfster
06-26-2006, 04:10 PM
I disagree. However I am in the belief that you think it sucks because your team fucking blows. If the US were anywhere good at football, you'd be all over it.

That must be it...it couldn't be the fact that the sport is boring as shit.

SOCCER RULZZZZZ

Stanley Burrell
06-26-2006, 04:12 PM
That must be it...it couldn't be the fact that the sport is boring as shit.

SOCCER RULZZZZZ

Slag the fuck off, bloody wanker.

And what?

Skirmisher
06-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Stray, Stan et al....please do ignore the baiting.

You know darned well that any response is just what they want.

Sean of the Thread
06-26-2006, 10:38 PM
"Originally Posted by Nieninque
The sad fact is that people all around the world do that whole play acting thing when they are playing competitive games."

There are more thespians in euro futbol than on broadway.

Alfster
06-27-2006, 01:48 AM
You're right.

SOCCER RULEZZZZZ

Skirmisher
06-27-2006, 10:50 AM
This thread is about the 2006 World Cup.

If you want to fight about soccer vs your sport of choice please make your own thread?

Thanks!

Tromp
06-27-2006, 11:05 AM

If you want to fight about soccer vs your sport of choice please make your own thread?

Thanks!

:love: I was just going to ask for this.

Will Ghana score? I think no.

France/Spain - I'm thinking Spain will tear them a new one.

How much is the Ukranian striker going to make at Chelsea next season? Holy Crap!

Asha
06-27-2006, 11:10 AM
:
France/Spain - I'm thinking Spain will tear them a new one.

Haha Tromp, you're going down again!!

Back
06-27-2006, 11:13 AM
Brazil/Ghana: Both teams are playing really aggressively.

Kaka/Renaldo already scored and there have been 3 yellow cards in the first 12 minutes.

Tromp
06-27-2006, 11:33 AM
Brazil/Ghana: Both teams are playing really aggressively.

Kaka/Renaldo already scored and there have been 3 yellow cards in the first 12 minutes.

Rule of this thread... No score posting till the day after in case others are TiVo/Recording the game and want to watch in without previous knowledge of who one.

I'm sure I've just opened the flood gates to every spoiler/jack a$$ on the boards.

You said Kaka :rofl:

Nevermind.. do I hear triple or nothing on France/Spain?

Asha
06-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Tromp my friend.. I just about evil enough NOT to pity you but to take on that bet instead.
No scores this time, just France >Spain triple or nothing!
Gonna be a damn good match though. One I'm really preparing for.

Tromp
06-27-2006, 11:54 AM
Witness!?!

Tromp
06-27-2006, 12:53 PM
The Beautiful Game is in full effect. Holy $hit!!!!!

Asha
06-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I :heart: Ass

Back
06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
We are watching the real talent play now. Fucking GHA vs BRA was awesome, and now...!

One thing I’m surprised about is how many off-sides calls there are. How long has this game been played and the players still go off-sides at least 6 times a game total. I don’t recall seeing that many off-sides in a hockey game.

Tromp
06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Shut your pie hole Nevermind about the score till tomorrow!

Oh and thanks for the compliment.

Asha
06-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Shut your pie hole Nevermind about the score till tomorrow!

Oh and thanks for the compliment.
Post edited :)

Back
06-27-2006, 03:49 PM
I’ve heard of spoilers for movies, books... game puzzles. But never for a sports event.

I’ll respect it, but if the real fans aren’t already monitoring the game from where ever they are by any means possible... and they go so far as to avoid every means possible so they can watch the game later, they won’t be reading this thread if they were smart.

Tromp
06-27-2006, 04:00 PM
Bah you're right Backlash.

My apologies to you and the Ass lover. Feel free to banter away whilst I ignore the thread till tonight.

Back
06-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow wow wow!

I bet the winner of today’s first game beats the winner of today’s second game.

Drew
06-27-2006, 04:51 PM
Zidane's last goal was sick. WHY WON'T FRANCE LOSE?!?!?!?

Skirmisher
06-27-2006, 04:55 PM
no love for France from this gal.

grrr....wanted Spain to win darnit.

Asha
06-27-2006, 04:59 PM
France played especially well. So far this world cup has treated my teams darn well.
Edited to rephrase : Who's left here, who still supports a team remaining in the tournament?

Drew
06-27-2006, 05:48 PM
France played especially well. So far this world cup has treated my teams darn well.
Edited to rephrase : Who's left here, who still supports a team remaining in the tournament?

Go Ireland.

Back
06-27-2006, 06:54 PM
LOL.

I’ll go BRA FTW. But will root for ARG and ENG in their games this holiday weekend.

Tromp
06-27-2006, 09:01 PM
Italia! Italia! Italia!

Latrinsorm
06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
How long has this game been played and the players still go off-sides at least 6 times a game total. I don’t recall seeing that many off-sides in a hockey game.I reckon it's because in hockey the offsides line stays in one spot, whereas in soccer it's based on the last 2 defenders. This makes for things like "offsides traps" and whatnot.

Plus soccer players are just STUPID AND IDIOTS JUST LIKE SOCCER FANS LOLOLOL IT'S LIKE PRO WRESTLING AND IT'S WAY LESS ATHLETIC.

^ That was for you, Stray, with love. ^

StrayRogue
06-28-2006, 02:51 AM
Yes, it's very easy to go offside. Plus, if I was one of these guys, with the hopes of the nation on my shoulder, I wouldn't stand about for a second to check where I was in relation to the last two defenders if I was given the ball. I'd fucking run.

Aaysia
06-28-2006, 07:09 AM
Yes, it's very easy to go offside. Plus, if I was one of these guys, with the hopes of the nation on my shoulder, I wouldn't stand about for a second to check where I was in relation to the last two defenders if I was given the ball. I'd fucking run.

:yeahthat:

I'm still backin' portugal. My mother was pissed at me yesterday since I came home from work, asked who was playing while the score was tied 1-all and said "Oh ok, I'm backing France" and like, 10 minutes after that Viera got that goal in, hahahahaha. Zidane's goal was just a bigger and more beautiful reason to laugh in her face. She was backing Spain and is convinced that I jinxed them somehow.

Tromp
06-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Nevermind... you lucky bastard.

Skirmisher
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Offsides trap plays are the cheesiest thing in existance and should not be rewarded as they twist the offsides rule into something it was never meant to be.

I laugh so hard whenever they backfire.

Asha
06-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Lol @ Tromp.. what's the pool at now anyway?
If it makes you feel any better I have a nasty feeling that Portugal will be Englands last game.
Go France!

Nieninque
06-28-2006, 10:59 AM
Offsides trap plays are the cheesiest thing in existance and should not be rewarded as they twist the offsides rule into something it was never meant to be.

I laugh so hard whenever they backfire.

I dont think they twist the law into something it shouldnt be. Football is a strategic game and should always be more than kick and rush. If people cant work within the confines of that law and the strategies that utilise it, then they really shouldnt be taking home the money that a lot of these people are.

Having said that, it is always a pleasing sight, when you see good attacking teams break down overly defensive teams.

Skirmisher
06-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Offsides rule was never intended to be used by a team intentionally moving forward to catch a player half a meter behind them on purpose but to stop hanging.

Have some balls and play defense or live with the consequences should be the rule.

Tromp
06-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Lol @ Tromp.. what's the pool at now anyway?
If it makes you feel any better I have a nasty feeling that Portugal will be Englands last game.
Go France!

Tromp 0
Nevermind 300,000 :clap:

Who'd have thought of a Brit cheering for the French? "Go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"

With Portugal missing two of their starters due to red cards, I think the English squad will survive the next round.

Skirm - if there weren't offsides than you could have a striker just sit right outside the other teams box and wait for the ball. He'd have a clear advantage since the goalie can't use his hands once pass the line. It would be a totally different game IMO.

How long has the offsides rule been in effect anyhow?

StrayRogue
06-28-2006, 12:50 PM
As we know it, the rules have been this way since 1990, though was ammended in 2003 I think whereby they allowed the attacking players to be be not penalized if they were passed the ball while onside and THEN ran behind the last line of defenders.

Skirmisher
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks!
Future off topic postings will just go bye bye.

Drew
06-28-2006, 06:39 PM
And of course all conversation ends. Way to moderate like Emeradan Skirm.