PDA

View Full Version : Names

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 03:28 AM
Not sure if this fits here, but anyways. I have been having huge amounts of trouble coming up with names to use in Gemstone.

So how do you guys and gals come up with names?

And I ask this of the people who use pronouncable, realistic names.

Drew
06-04-2006, 03:48 AM
Good character names use two words to make a compound name like: Swiftdeath or Wolfspiritson (used three there, even better). Try to make your name as much like a phrase as possible: Nextonmaurypovich is a good one.

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 03:57 AM
Funny guy

Asha
06-04-2006, 06:13 AM
He's being deadly serious.
Personally I like to name my characters after a one word trait... Eg: Kind, Shy, Brave, Honourable.
:D

Snapp
06-04-2006, 07:02 AM
I've come out with some decent names by letting the name generator that they have spit out a bunch of names and then taking a variation of one of them.

StrayRogue
06-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Personally I like to name my characters after a one word trait... Eg: Kind, Shy, Brave, Honourable.

All good ideas. I personally like to watch a film or read a book and lift a name of a well known character from there.

Celephais
06-04-2006, 07:57 AM
If you follow the previous suggestions and find your name is taken, adding or replacing a letter with X is appropriate, or if you're an empath, suffix your name with "th"

Miss X
06-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Baby name websites work for me, you can find some really nice and obscure names on those websites.

Failing that, find a Spanish word that describes your character and stick to it. ;)

RichardCranium
06-04-2006, 08:36 AM
Which race is your character?

War Angel
06-04-2006, 09:27 AM
Name generators are usually helpful, followed by baby name websites.

Here's an Elven name generator. (There's also a link to a hobbit name generator)
http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/

A name generator that takes typical names, and gives a suggested Elven name.
http://www.elvish.org/elm/names.html

Prefixes and Suffixes for Elven names, mix and match, to make yourself a new wonderous name, (First and last even!)
http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html

Fantasy name generator
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/names/fantasylinks.htm

Good luck on your name search, I hope you find the one that's just right for you! :)

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Which race is your character?
Just made an elf. But may reroll into giant or halfling... depending. Playing around with a wizard to waste time.

The Ponzzz
06-04-2006, 12:03 PM
I personally don't like to go over 6 letters and one to two syllables

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 12:51 PM
ditto, most of the names I make are like this

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 12:52 PM
of course then some douche bag copies your name by changing one letter, or adding -th, -icus, or some other stupid crap.

I hate people that copy names.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I just try to think of what sounds pleasing or what incorporates a characteristic trait of that character. Narcissiia was a variation of Narcissus, the boy from the Greek Legend, and Adriata was a water name because she was going to be a water mage. Adriatic Sea.. Adriata. Anywho. >_>

Stunseed
06-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Don't forget to think of a funny phrase and spell it backwards. Makes you infamous.

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 05:27 PM
deesnuts?>

Asha
06-04-2006, 06:17 PM
Don't forget to think of a funny phrase and spell it backwards. Makes you infamous.

Or a command typicaly used on a canine.

Stunseed
06-04-2006, 06:25 PM
< deesnuts? >

/insert old but good joke

In your mouth, indeed.

/end old joke

Soulpieced
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
I like the name Castun.

Stunseed
06-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Xasmed > Castun.

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 07:16 PM
niggabaet

Stunseed
06-04-2006, 08:15 PM
A new character has arrived!

Latrinsorm
06-04-2006, 08:26 PM
The random name generator is good for alleviating stagnation if nothing else.

Drew2
06-04-2006, 09:33 PM

Don't forget Chivalrous.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
06-04-2006, 10:01 PM
Fleyxesa is the best name for an attractive female elf character.. or hell, even handsome mannish ones.

Even more amusing for a gnome or a Half-Krol!

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 10:32 PM
I have found some names in the credits on movies to be inspiring. Especially if the movie was not made in the USA.

AestheticDeath
06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
oh yeah Simus random name generator is worthless, although I have found others at times that worked fairly well. I have been thinking of making my own.

Drew
06-05-2006, 03:01 AM
Don't forget Chivalrous.

fuck off

FinisWolf
06-05-2006, 03:33 AM
Someone just enlightened me recently about Gib's name ...

Gibreficul

giB reficuL

Big Lucifer

I have no idea if it was an accident or what, but it's interesting to say the least.

Finis

Rune
06-05-2006, 06:24 AM
I distinctly remember seeing Nodrah around on many occasions awhile back.

Nodrah.. Hardon.. =(

FinisWolf
06-05-2006, 06:56 AM
I have to say, after play Guild Wars Factions, I have to say, the names in GS definetly do not bother me as much.

Examples:

Girl From Mississippi
Damn The Horrid One
OMG wtf Math Test
X The Dark One X
Mai The Unholy
D H A K A

Finis

thornhappy
06-05-2006, 02:55 PM
I have a locker character named Ebordraw. heh

For characters I actually play.. I usually pick some letters that I like and shuffle them up until I find something appealing, adding and subtracting as needed. That'd be why nearly all my character names have a 'Y' in them..

Last names used to be a whole lot harder then first names..

The mangler has been an object of much amusement for myself and friends.. conjuring such favorite abominations as Painfotdoog, Aenus, Kingsocrack, various strings of consonants that would be completely unpronouncable (Zfgtls, etc) and many others. The point? Never trust anything you get from Simu.

edited for: spelling error

PurgingKerch
06-21-2006, 07:40 PM
I made my main character, Thoryn, when I was 11 and thought his name was completely original. Being a half-elf, I didn't understand the various dwarf remarks he often got from snerts around the Landing. It wasn't until a couple years later that I read the Hobbit and LoTR and realized that it had obviously been stored in the back of my mind from watching the animated Hobbit on a near daily basis when I was around 5 or 6..... oops. Twelve years later, I still hate his fucking name... his last name is no better. Elvsquin. Haha.

These days I try feebly to explain it away by insisting that it is an ancient form of the trade tongue, translating into modern common as "Thorn, Elf-kin" and is thus more a nickname than his actual name. Whateva.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
06-21-2006, 07:59 PM
No offense to you Stunseed, but every time I see your name, I just can't take you seriously as a roleplayer. ESPECIALLY when your psinet title is in front of it.

I've got a few hideous names myself, but I don't try to pass them off as RP gold either. It's ooc knowledge of your name that I can't get by, so I guess I"m not that much of a rper either.

Bobmuhthol
06-21-2006, 08:04 PM
<<oh yeah Simus random name generator is worthless>>

Ahem.

- Bobmuhthol, Vlecles Awraiths, Hootezorg Torganto, Pinbauff, and others

Snapp
06-21-2006, 08:12 PM
ESPECIALLY when your psinet title is in front of it.

Yea.. to be honest, that bugged me too.

I also have no room to talk about bad names.

-Gerbill :lol:

Artha
06-21-2006, 09:02 PM
and others

Jooblade...

Stunseed
06-21-2006, 09:14 PM
< No offense to you Stunseed, but every time I see your name, I just can't take you seriously as a roleplayer. >

There is none taken, since you've seen that it isn't a name, but the actions put out. Honestly, if I had the ability to take it back BEFORE having the popularity/reputation that Stunseed does, I would. I'm not willing to change my RP to a style of Chiv, where people who know him closely call him by an actual decent sounding name of Oliver. My character has a right to be proud of his deeds, and though just like you, if I could slap Drizzt for a stupid name, I would.

< I've got a few hideous names myself, but I don't try to pass them off as RP gold either. >

Stunseed is not RP gold, by any means. However we have gone through this a thousand times, it is in genre. Often times people took surnames related to their abilities. For instance, ( yet again ) Dove Falconhand, a Ranger from R.A. Salvatore's series of books based of Forgotten Realms, surprise surprise has an affinity for birds, especially a falcon. Earlier on in my playing, I used Tangle Weed, before the name Stunseed ever happened ( Jickano was my first Ranger ). I was seventeen at the time and into Salvatore, hence the name Stunseed was born. Yes, it is a gag name, meant to have a little fun with, hence I wear the Psinet title.

It ain't RP gold, but it is more than fine. Mighty Mo is fine in my book too, but I don't call out and think your RP sucks. I think your little warrior earned through deeds or perhaps some established roleplay reason before coming from the turnip farm.

< It's ooc knowledge of your name that I can't get by, so I guess I"m not that much of a rper either. >

Can't help you there, perhaps just shorten his name to Stun like most acquintences do and you'd feel better? Not that we interact IC or anything.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
06-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Heh, not trying to insult you. Just something that's always bugged me. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Stunseed
06-21-2006, 10:02 PM
No insult taken, just a rehashing of my stance. I completely agree with yours, as well. :)

Celephais
06-22-2006, 11:51 AM
I made my main character, Thoryn...

When I was playing EQ I was making a Ranger and was on the phone with a friend of mine at the time and asked him for a good Ranger name, he said "Eowyn", me having not read any of the LoTR series did not know the affiliation, named my character "Eowin", this character became my main and was nearly capped by the time I found out I was named after a girl, I kind of brushed it off, hoping not too many would know... then the movies came out.