PDA

View Full Version : Gemstone VS Dragonrealms

rhart00
10-24-2003, 05:32 AM
How does Dragonrealms compare to Gemstone? How is it different? Are their any similarities? For the people who have played both, what do you think about Dragonrealms? any other info about it would be great too. There is already a thread about dragonrealms but I am interested in knowing how it compares to GS. thanks

[Edited on 10-24-2003 by rhart00]

theotherjohn
10-24-2003, 07:03 AM
Dragonscripting is the most boring scripting session I have ever scripted.

That about sums it up

Wezas
10-24-2003, 09:40 AM
I played DragonRealms when it was on AOL (and free). I didn't get far at all. Lets see what I remember.

You had to get people to teach you skills, there wasn't any "end of level trainer" (or I never got to it).

They use Platinum, Gold, & Silver (maybe some other metals) for money.

I rolled up some kind of ranger-type person, and hated it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, It's been a few years.

Weedmage Princess
10-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Everything Wezas said...and they had a different type of combat system..if I remember correctly. I think you had to ENGAGE or something.

You had to go to a guild and choose your profession I think.

I hated DR as well...but it seems like GS4 is going in that general direction.

GemstoneFan
10-24-2003, 11:47 AM
Tried it for a month, HATED it. Empaths lose their powers if they even try to attack a rat. They also cannot "see" their own internal wounds or scars therefore you have to have another empath "touch" you to look at you and tell you what wounds you have before you can fix it.

And I never thought I'd say it, but the lack of numbers, metrics, anything to judge my progress.... really sucked. I killed off my useless char at the end of the month and never went back. This was about a year or so ago when GS3 was having outages almost daily and I was getting tired of it.

I decided after that that outages were better than DragonScript.

Warriorbird
10-25-2003, 02:53 AM
:chuckles: I think "GemstoneFan" 's handle says it all. For those of us who haven't ONLY played GS forever, we can evaluate a game a bit better.

Dragonrealms and Gemstone each have their strengths and weaknesses. I much prefer the experience system in Dragonrealms. You can get experience by actually doing what comes naturally to a character and even level off of it. I really enjoy playing thieves in DR, because, for instance, the more you pick people's pockets, the better you get at it. Some professions do have a lot of mindless repetitive tasks, but I've found that thieves and paladins both tend to do logically what you'd expect them to do. Thieves hunt, steal, pick and disarm boxes....and Paladins hunt and help out newbies.

Now, disadvantages to DR in my mind? I tend to find a lot better GM interaction, RP wise, in GS. More people are more OOC in DR. Some of the guilds have really stupid advancement requirements (Rangers). Their Empaths are even worse than GS ones (if that is at all possible). I think GS has better hunting areas and treasure, all told. The amulet is also better in GS.

I play both games, as the mood strikes me.

P.S. You can also mock Celtar in DR, something no longer possible in GS.

[Edited on 10-25-2003 by Warriorbird]

Dighn Darkbeam
10-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Someone should post a log of combat from Dragonrealms. All numbers are hidden, so everything must be described to a far greater degree. Combat looks better than GS, but the Engagement system sucks.

Pallon
10-25-2003, 04:11 AM
I played DR on AOL as a Moon Mage. Having to gain ranks in some boring crap like Scholarship in order to level up sucked. Also, whenever I wanted to hunt, all the rooms were filled with camping people and I had to like, ask them if I could hunt there. WTF.

rhart00
10-25-2003, 04:58 AM
how does the economy is DR compare to GS? One of my favorite parts of GS is the fact that their are literally tens of thousands of different items that are bought and sold on the amulet.