PDA

View Full Version : Adoption

Dighn Darkbeam
10-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Someone care to explain to me the formal rules, if any, that apply to joining or forming a family? I am not interested in joining/starting one.

Any information provided on the process and/or their thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. I must admit to ignorance regarding this roleplaying tool.

Zentoph
10-23-2003, 02:37 PM
I don't think any one set of rules are exactly the same between two families.

The most common way I see it done is someone asking on the amulet. This just happened a few moments ago, actually.

Eadha [subdued]: "so then, does some generous soul with insane amounts of money want to adopt a giantman warrior to lavish with useful pressies?"

When people rest at the same area and become close friends, they'll usually adopt/become brothers/sisters with close friends they've known for awhile. It usually involves some sort of high level father/mother to start the whole reaction, though.

Daughter asks if High level father wants to adopt Friend. Then it just spreads. Take the Cul-de-sac for example.. worse then rabbits ;d

[Edited on 10-23-03 by Zentoph]

Trinitis
10-23-2003, 02:39 PM
::chuckle::

Funny thing in that one..When Valiria's last grandchild left the lands, I told her I'd be a "stand-in" for her..so she could have some form of a grandchild..

Then, the RP circle completed that Naessi and I where working on..and low and behold, I WAS her grandchild..it worked out really funny..and all by mistake :P

-Adredrin

Trinitis
10-23-2003, 02:46 PM
Just make sure your never related to Dainslef, or Skyfawn..if you ever get traced back to them, you are a family member to EVERYONE in icemule..no buts about it

-Adredrin

Jolena
10-23-2003, 02:48 PM
Hmm..when I first started playing Gemstone, 3 years ago.. I was wandering around doing my own thing and saw Ariond in the culdesac (surprise surprise) and we became friends. He offered to adopt me but seeing as how he's Sylvan and I'm human I was concerned on how it would work. He and I talked it out though and I developed a bio for Jo that involved her parent's death and how she came to be in a sylvan family. It worked rather nicely. Later on in life, Jo was with a giantman and they had a child. I had originally rp'd it that she sent her baby off because her family hated the giantman she was with and she was too young to deal with the strain of a baby. However a year later I ran into this really sweet and very young giantman rogue in Icemule who I helped out a great deal with his gear, hunting etc. Later I asked him if he needed a family and he agreed to let me adopt him. But.. *pants in her long story *sorry folks hehe*) It worked out where since he is giantkin.. and Jo's ex is a giantkin.. that I could RP it where the boy was actually my long lost baby.. that I had sent off a year before. So.. I guess technically I have never 'really' adopted anyone. I am all for adoption especially if it is rp'd out well. I encourage adopted people to develop a 'history' or 'bio' if you will regarding how they came to be adopted. Especially if they are of a different race then the family that adopted them.

Wezas
10-23-2003, 02:58 PM
Just make sure the people adopting you (or visa versa)aren't related in some way to anyone you have a romantical interest in.

Especially if your adopted sister (lets just use "Naina" as an example) adopts someone (lets just use "Deza" as an example) who you have an interest in to be another sister.

Drew2
10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by LordAdredrin
Just make sure your never related to Dainslef, or Skyfawn..if you ever get traced back to them, you are a family member to EVERYONE in icemule..no buts about it

-Adredrin

::raises his hand and hangs his head::

Tayre's first mother was Fvvunie... and I had a brother named.. um.. Z-something.. he left the game a LONG time ago... anyway... then Fvvunie rerolled and became Kleyn... so we passed the mothership over to her. It was funny... for a while I had more trainings than my mother. Then I left a few times for long periods.. and she lept ahead. Somehow along the line, she became related to someone who's related to Skyfawn or something... so now I'm related to most of Icemule in one way or another. Thank goodness Kasia has next to no family.

Souzy
10-23-2003, 03:10 PM
I have limited family. But can someone enlighten me on who's related to who in the Cul-de-Sac? :)

Wezas
10-23-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Lalana
I have limited family. But can someone enlighten me on who's related to who in the Cul-de-Sac? :)

I'm pretty sure everyone's related to the rats.

Crypt Rules!

Souzy
10-23-2003, 03:15 PM
And you would say that Wezas! Didn't the Cul beat the crypt in that duel? *runs and hides*

Camri
10-23-2003, 03:19 PM

Good luck with that. :lol:

I tried to trace family trees in there once. There aren't enough branches....:?:

Wezas
10-23-2003, 03:23 PM
And you would say that Wezas! Didn't the Cul beat the crypt in that duel? *runs and hides*

I do seem to remember me killing you in the second battle and Bhambi and I cornering your leader until he folded. And we were outnumbered 3 vs. 2

The first battle was amusing, especially if you ask Edine. His story is that he stood victorious as the lone living soul on the Crypt side. Meanwhile he was hiding the entire time.

Kurili
10-23-2003, 03:36 PM
What in hell is a 'pressie'?

And I am so very happy none of mine has ever had local relation. They can discuss their relatives 'back home'

Acolyte Kurili

Trinitis
10-23-2003, 03:38 PM
I want your money and items, and you still love me Daina! :P

-Adredrin

Trinitis
10-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Nuh uh, I'm planning on stealing Daina from Khaitiff and making her my Sugar Mama. :P

-Adredrin

Drew2
10-23-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

I do seem to remember me killing you in the second battle and Bhambi and I cornering your leader until he folded. And we were outnumbered 3 vs. 2

The first battle was amusing, especially if you ask Edine. His story is that he stood victorious as the lone living soul on the Crypt side. Meanwhile he was hiding the entire time.

I was left standing too. I think I casted at you, Wezas, then went into hiding when the warding failed. Hehe! It was fun watching everyone die though.

Trinitis
10-23-2003, 03:56 PM
Hehe, see, you should like me..I've got 6mil with nothing to do with it ;)

-Adredrin

Kurili
10-23-2003, 03:57 PM
The Pipsy anyone? She can use the help.

Acolyte Kurili

Oh, NOT as an adoptee, just since THE Edine and THE Tayre were still standing, perhaps THE Pipsy would be too.

AK

[Edited on 10-23-2003 by Kurili]

Trinitis
10-23-2003, 03:58 PM
Pipsy! I dono, I bet she would hate Adredrin..that whole stealing a halfling to wed and keep as his own :P

-Adredrin

Souzy
10-23-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Wezas

LOL...hey I just went for entertainment. Lalana is like 30 trains lower than all of you and like 80 trains lower than Bhambi, but I like Bhambi, hehe. I just felt bad that everyone left Calean, so I knew I was gonna get rocked, but I died with honor man! And you must've missed the part they said I was out. I dunno, I missed it to then caught that part. But, it was amusing until I died.

And to get back on the subject, trying to figure out the Cul family tree is too confusing. But I know my IG mom and dad is not related to anyone at the Cul de Sac. And thank God Lalana's family tree is not so confusing!

Dighn Darkbeam
10-23-2003, 04:55 PM
Question 2: Has anyone found adoption to add significantly to their roleplaying?

GSLeloo
10-23-2003, 04:56 PM
It goes something like this.

Kastir (sister Kniquee) and Odessya are the highest level. Then comes me, Drakam, and Adyria (all various characters of each). So then Kniquee and Drakam have some daughter, don't remember the name. Then Syberus and I have Tanador, Gildor, Chadj, and Missoni and a grandkid named Talissa and I think Chadj is getting a grandkid. Then Adyria has tons of kids too.

So now we have one branch done. From Syberus I am related to Ariond, among others. His daughters, Missoni, Jolena, Michiko, and Elronae, technically become my neices. And then all of their kids fall into my great neices. But all of this is like.. in laws and in arms.

GSLeloo
10-23-2003, 04:58 PM
I find adoption and families are great to roleplay with. Can become family fueds and shit, becomes a lot of fun.

Vesi
10-23-2003, 05:02 PM
When I was new to Gemstone, this cleric wanted to adopt me. I never said yes or no. He took me to the bank and gave me 10,000 silver (which was TONS of coin!). Next thing I know he casts major sanctuary (and I'm impressed because I'd never seen anything like that) and was talking about me becoming his daughter. I kept saying even though I appreciated the offer, I would need to get to know him better. Then, out of the blue, he wants to kiss me! Alarm bells start going off so I tell him no. He started begging and I just kept saying no. When the sanctuary dropped, I left. Next day I'm sitting at a table and he comes there and tries to get me to go with him. I refuse (he was whispering something about the person I was sitting with ruining my reputation... heh). I go to the bank and get that 10k and finally find him and give it back to him and whisper... now I owe you nothing. I'm not thinking he really wanted a daughter to begin with. DUH!

Since then, anytime adoption was mentioned, I always decline. I have full background stories for my characters so adoption is never an option. Even the 'pure' offers.

Vesi

Edited to add that I posted this in the wrong thread the first time.

[Edited on 10-23-2003 by Vesi]

Soulpieced
10-23-2003, 07:22 PM
Adoption is a sorry excuse for guys to kiss women in GS. Plain and simple. It's disgusting how many "dads" kiss their "daughters" in inappropriate places.

Xcalibur
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
I disagree

Adoption is for MAing without MA (getting free spells then), and those abuse

it's not everyone that get excited with virtual kisses.. by the way

[Edited on 23-10-03 by Xcalibur]

Artha
10-23-2003, 07:39 PM
I hate it when people of completely different races decide to adopt and become blood relatives.

Example: Giant dad, halfling mom (I don't want to know how that works), with a dhe'nar son and half-elf daughter.

Also, the people with scads and scads of relatives who don't hesitate to use them to fight their battles (a la Haashek) annoy the fuck out of me.

Snapp
10-23-2003, 09:33 PM
I have to agree with Artha.. the whole families with every person a different race makes no sense at all, so how can you call it RPing? I understand the "I adopted a human, even though we're dark elves" thing.. but everyone in your family is adopted? Please..

Edaarin
10-23-2003, 09:41 PM
I have a super family now.

GSLeloo
10-23-2003, 10:22 PM
But if you're adopting.... what difference does it make? It's like saying a white family adopting an asian kid doesn't make sense. And my friend is adopted (african american) into a white family and it is totally great.

Back
10-23-2003, 10:30 PM
I remember the boom of adoptions that occured when Gemstone moved to the web.

I understand the idea of helping out the newbie... but adoption? Why not Mentor, or Squire or something more believable? Halfling sons/daughters of elves/giants? Huh?

And I've seen first hand some really twisted stuff with this whole adoption thing. Fathers being a little too close with their daughters. Sons getting a little to frisky with their mothers. Freaky inscestual shit. Its always bugged me. I mean, if it were done in an RP way, fine, but in GS its anything goes.

Whatever floats your boat man. Except for the sickos.

Dighn Darkbeam
10-23-2003, 11:55 PM
Example: Giant dad, halfling mom (I don't want to know how that works), with a dhe'nar son and half-elf daughter. >>>

Any Dhe'nar that claims to be a member of an adopted family to include those outside his race isnt really Dhe'nari any longer. One of the cultures main ideals is that all Dhe'nar are family. Dhe'nari children have no parental figures, the whole community raises them.

Also, having Dhe'nari parents does not automatically make you First Born. To be a part of the Dhe'nari culture you must be brought up experiencing all the different trials and teachings.

A good example is religion. Just because your parents are born Jewish doesnt mean you automatically are a member of that religion. You must pass through whatever ceremonies the religion has and be accepted into the order.

Sorry to go off on a rant, just wanted to clear that up.

Kris na Su'ta

Stacey
10-24-2003, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Dighn Darkbeam
Question 2: Has anyone found adoption to add significantly to their roleplaying?
When I started playing GS3, I was adopted by a Rogue that I met while hunting Krolvins. He actally made me want to play and taught me how to be in charecter by always being in charecter. (Even in whispers when I wanted to understand mechanic's in the game.) He never gave me a silver. I never got any gifts from him. I believe that because of him, I wanted to play more.

Stacey

:thumbsup:

Morstanya
10-24-2003, 04:34 AM
The interracial families don't bother me nearly as much as the convoluted knots people end up tying their families into. I see crap like someone being their own uncle all the time. People adopt out of friendship without consideration for role play usually, and that's kind of sad.

So, Adredrin, Vali is your mom eh ? Now I know who to have spank you, and she just might do that for me too.

Heh, so your sister was Lochraven's daughter eh Daina ? I knew you had a streak of evil in you from something. Go on, deny she's your mom all you want, we know now.

Morstanya, the White Witch (who's original family is all dead now)

Morstanya
10-24-2003, 05:21 AM
Denial is an ugly thing hon ;)

Mors.

AnticorRifling
10-24-2003, 01:44 PM
Not touching this one.

Jolena
10-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Okay well personally..I think that Jolena being adopted into a Sylvan family is what made me want to play as well. I was completely ignorant to RP or mechanics or any of that stuff. Ariond helped me a lot. I will have to say that in my family they are mostly sylvans or half-sylvans. I know that for myself, Michiko, Elronae and I think Syberus we all have RP's as to how we became part of the family. Syberus is not blood related to Ariond but they grew up together and are 'brothers in arms', hence the 'uncle' title given to him and how Leloo and her side of the family came into my own family. I am the only one that I know of out of my entire immediate family (aside from my blood son) who is not either sylvan or half-sylvan. My blood son is a giantkin because his father was giantkin. I am currently in the process of RPing a pregnancy and I will have a human baby (I am human and so is the father). Even though I am not blood related to anyone BUT my children, my in game family treats me as if I am their own. I think if it's done right.. it can definately enhance your game experience and make your desire to play greater. It just has to be given careful thought and effort to make it work is all.