PDA

View Full Version : The Dangers of Gaming On-Line: Yet another article.

Back
05-27-2006, 03:53 PM
When Escape Seems Just a Mouse-Click Away (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/26/AR2006052601960_pf.html)
Stress-Driven Addiction to Online Games Spikes in S. Korea

SEOUL -- Unable to pass tough university entrance exams and under intense pressure from his parents to study harder, 20-year-old Kim Myung gradually retreated to the one place where he could still feel invincible -- the virtual world of electronic games.

In front of his computer screen, Kim played hours upon hours of interactive role-playing games with other anonymous online gamers. When he slew zombies and ghouls with particular dexterity, he recalled, the flashing words "Excellent!" or "Masterstroke!" fired him up. Kim played from 8 a.m. until well after midnight -- and in the process, over four months, gained 10 pounds while surviving largely on one meal a day of instant noodles.

"I guess I knew I was becoming addicted, but I couldn't stop myself," Kim recalled from a clinic where he was undergoing counseling. "I stopped changing my clothes. I didn't go out. And I began to see myself as the character in my games."

In South Korea, the nation that experts describe as home to the world's most extreme gamer culture, authorities are alarmed by what many here are calling an epidemic of electronic game addiction.

Last month, the government -- which opened a treatment center in 2002 -- launched a game addiction hotline. Hundreds of private hospitals and psychiatric clinics have opened units to treat the problem.

An estimated 2.4 percent of the population from 9 to 39 are believed to be suffering from game addiction, according to a government-funded survey. Another 10.2 percent were found to be "borderline cases" at risk of addiction -- defined as an obsession with playing electronic games to the point of sleep deprivation, disruption of daily life and a loosening grip on reality. Such feelings are typically coupled with depression and a sense of withdrawal when not playing, counselors say.

The situation has grown so acute that 10 South Koreans -- mostly teenagers and people in their twenties -- died in 2005 from game addiction-related causes, up from only two known deaths from 2001 to 2004, according to government officials. Most of the deaths were attributed to a disruption in blood circulation caused by sitting in a single, cramped position for too long -- a problem known as "economy class syndrome," a reference to sitting in an airplane's smallest seats on long flights.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

What is it about the asian population that this happens more than in other nations? Is it just “gaming” thats the problem or is it the internet in general? Or a sociological thing?

Soulpieced
05-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm boned.

Sean of the Thread
05-27-2006, 04:34 PM
I think it is more of an escape from their HOLY HELL SHIT ASS COMMIE life. We could have WTF PWNT Vietnam if we had dropped gameboys instead of napalm.

Drew
05-27-2006, 05:14 PM
I think it is more of an escape from their HOLY HELL SHIT ASS COMMIE life. We could have WTF PWNT Vietnam if we had dropped gameboys instead of napalm.

Except South Korea isn't communist....