PDA

View Full Version : Vaalor the nonroleplayers

Sietzer
05-27-2006, 01:56 AM
I made a little dwarven Empath, That I was roleplaying as a Warrior, who can take the pain of others, because he has conquered his pain and has been rewarded to relieve others. They keep yelling at me saying that I am an empath, and That I should stick to healing and stop hunting. Or something like that. He has dreams to Be the person legends are made of and he lets people know it. Is it just me or Is landing a better play to Rp then Vaalor. I am just :ranting:

Sietzer
05-27-2006, 05:09 AM
No replies?

Stanley Burrell
05-27-2006, 05:36 AM
No replies?

It's an accepted fact that Vaalor is the shittiest of RP'ing environments.

No real need to continue emphasizing the very painfully obvious.

Stanley Burrell.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-27-2006, 05:44 AM
All areas have shitty RPers and good ones.. Vaalor has an issue because it's a common new player dump.

Alfster
05-27-2006, 05:46 AM
Vaalor has an issue because it's a common new player dump.

That, and the psycho skatermom (or something like that) from the officials resides there.

Get the hell away from them, they suck donkey balls.

RichardCranium
05-27-2006, 08:21 AM
They keep yelling at me saying that I am an empath, and That I should stick to healing and stop hunting.

You should always be ready to face criticism when playing a character that is an exception to the rule. Some people will call bullshit because mechanics do not support the fact that warriors ( the profession ) cannot heal.

Personally I take it on a case by case basis. In this case I'd play along, because it's not so totally unbelieveable a scenario. If you were to, say, tell me you were the werewolf, demigod son of an Arkati then I'd call bullshit too.

RichardCranium
05-27-2006, 08:22 AM
That, and the psycho skatermom (or something like that) from the officials resides there.

Whozzat?

Nieninque
05-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Dresdena and a bunch of other fuckheads that all behave the same and have the same set of friends/enemies/partner etc that Dresdena does.

For someone that bleats on about the purity of roleplay, she sure fucks it up a whole lot of the time.

Drinin
05-27-2006, 11:33 AM
I started playing my vaalor elf again about a month ago and brought him over to Ta'Vaalor to hunt the undead. I've been pleasantly surprised at the rp that I've found. I haven't seen anything blatantly ooc and finding people to rp with has been easy. Between the Landing, Ta'Illistim, Solhaven, and Ta'Vaalor, I'll take Ta'Vaalor. Maybe it's been a shithole in the past (this is the first time I've really spent any length of time in the city), but it's my favorite city now.

Latrinsorm
05-27-2006, 12:20 PM
So long as you don't spend any time in VC, Ta'Vaalor isn't that bad. Landing is still the best town though, far and away, even if only because the people who think they're RP nazis (nobody in this thread so far) praise EN so often.

Back
05-27-2006, 02:03 PM
Your char concept is risky. Like RC said, once you start coloring outside the lines mechanicswise expect some grief.

I’m all for freeform RP. If it were up to me there would be no classes. Just races, skills, and stats.

As for Vaalor... I’ve found many great RPers there. Sure, you get the OOC noob from time to time, and the OOC older player who won't bother to change, but its really not that bad. At since the beginning of this year. Before that I understand it was pretty bad.

Just within this year I’ve seen 3 or more serious PROs spring up.

Sietzer
05-27-2006, 06:24 PM
It wasnt just one that went into ooc, It was a couple of people. Thats what bothered me. This character was origanlly a test character for a script but I started to like him. So I gave the story that he was a Warrior who had gained the power of relieving others, for his mastery of pain. As I stated in my first post. My question is should I go to landing,river's Rest,Solhaven or Icemule. I know my way around all of them.

Back
05-27-2006, 06:33 PM
If you can’t handle it, sure, run away. Good luck.

Sietzer
05-27-2006, 07:14 PM
I'd rather Rp with someone who Can Roleplay, rather then keep going ooc without whispering. So I'm heading to landing and from there I want to know where to go. I shouldnt be called running away since I'm leaving a place that gives no joy of rp.

RichardCranium
05-27-2006, 10:48 PM
My question is should I go to landing,river's Rest,Solhaven or Icemule.

Solhaven.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-28-2006, 12:16 AM
Vaalor can be tough, but if good roleplayers do leave, it leaves only the poor ones behind. I used to be a pure Landing-ite at heart.. and then I rolled up my elf and I realized there is a community in Vaalor that's trying to make it better for RP. I suppose I could have easily left and stuff, but because I wasn't always the best at RP I like staying behind and helping people.. and helping a place that needs it most.

Satira
05-28-2006, 12:27 AM
It always seems to me that there's no in between in Vaalor. You're either interacting with someone who is fantastic or someone who has no idea what they're doing.

Nilandia
05-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Vaalor can be tough, but if good roleplayers do leave, it leaves only the poor ones behind. I used to be a pure Landing-ite at heart.. and then I rolled up my elf and I realized there is a community in Vaalor that's trying to make it better for RP. I suppose I could have easily left and stuff, but because I wasn't always the best at RP I like staying behind and helping people.. and helping a place that needs it most.
Exactly. Very shortly after I started Lisera, it'd become one of my major passions in this game to improve the RP around Ta'Vaalor and the rest of the Nations. It's not the RP heaven that others have portrayed it to be before it became the premiere newbie drop, but I have found RP when I've put in a modicum of effort into finding it.

I don't think any true RP haven exists in GS, but it is where you make it, no matter which town you're in. Ta'Vaalor certainly does need the help in strengthening RP, but if the good roleplayers are simply chased off, then it will never improve.

There are times when I wish Lisera wasn't the type to seek out Elven company so I could go further into encouraging RP where I see it, but I don't want to betray what she is. My goal is to help RP, so I cannot forget my own.

Of course, I'm not saying I'm the god of RP, but I am trying to help however I can, and I have seen definite improvements. As an example, where I used to hear obviously OOC stuff on the net almost every night, it's exceedingly rare these days.

I am sorry to hear that you're having troubles playing a character outside the box. Running outside the norm will tend to get people to look at you funny, but if it's plausible and you stick with it, people can only dismiss you as insane, ignore you or accept you.

Perhaps you might wish to emphasize the warrior side of your character and draw upon your empathic side only when necessary for now. As people become more accepting of your character concept, you can delve into the empathic side more and more, and you might even tie that to your empathic abilities becoming stronger. As your abilities strengthen, you can become more confident in them and use them more often. Also, when you use your empathic abilities, you can try to emphasize the physical aspects of it. Play up the side that you've mastered pain from your fighting experiences, and maybe even keep a few minor scars with you to make it more vivid for others.

Of course, these are just some tips based on my own perceptions, so feel free to accept or reject them as you see fit.

Gretchen

Sietzer
05-28-2006, 03:44 AM
He's in landing now Hunting vysons. He refuses to heal anyone intill their near death. I will begin to use His magic more in more in battle as you said, as he grows more comfortable with his growing abilities.

Rainy Day
05-28-2006, 04:25 AM
My issue with such a character would be why would I believe you are a warrior if your weapon skills are very substandard and you know magic that is only taught to empaths? If you know empathic magic and can naturally heal others, then by definition you'd be an empath, even if that is in addition to being a warrior. I don't mean mechanically, I mean it in roleplay terms.

StrayRogue
05-28-2006, 04:33 AM
Um Empaths can generally outswing warriors.

Sietzer
05-28-2006, 04:59 AM
My issue with such a character would be why would I believe you are a warrior if your weapon skills are very substandard and you know magic that is only taught to empaths? If you know empathic magic and can naturally heal others, then by definition you'd be an empath, even if that is in addition to being a warrior. I don't mean mechanically, I mean it in roleplay terms.

He can not Naturally heal people. He has gained the ability through Mastering types of pain. He was not born with the ability to Relief others of pain, It was through his own pain that he was able to grant others relief. So in Roleplay terms no he is not an empath, But a warrior.

StrayRogue
05-28-2006, 05:07 AM
Question Steizer, why do you randomly capitalize certain words?

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-28-2006, 01:59 PM

How do you know that magic is only taught to empaths? I have two empaths on my account, my elf and a half-elf. The elf is learning her skills through reading books and studying.. the half-elf is an empath through experience alone, meaning that she has the capacity to heal inherint inside of her.. no "trainer" actually comes to my half-elf and "teaches" her.

Honestly, I find nothing wrong with an empath mechanically being a warrior RP wise. I've met a sorcerer who pretended they were a rogue and got away with it.. I've met a warrior who pretended to be a Bard. It's just another interesting roleplay to me.

My only other suggestion to Sietzer is to turn off all profession titles. If you walk around with "the Empath" attached to your name then yes.. a lot of people WILL take that to be IC.

Nilandia
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
To add onto Issi's comments, there is a lot of leeway to RP a character outside the boundaries of mechanics.

I've known an empath who will swear that he's a rogue and can pick boxes with the best of them. I know another empath who RPs a warrior (Vaalor Elf) and is highly regarded as a warrior in Ta'Vaalor.

Nilandia was an empath, yet she's been accused of being all sorts of professions because her RP doesn't fit in with any established profession (she's a scholar-type with a passion for history and other cultures). Her love of music as well has had people call her a bard, even though the characters know full well her true mechanical profession.

Lisera is somewhat like that, but not as much. She's played as a Nalfein noble and businesswoman. Her adventuring profession is far more a hobby and pastime.

It really depends on your RP, I feel. Stick with it and play up what your character truly sees themself as being. People can mock you, they can ignore you, they can accept you or they can dismiss you, but they can't change you.

Gretchen

Sietzer
05-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Question Steizer, why do you randomly capitalize certain words?

I sometimes hit the shift button and dont catch it.