PDA

View Full Version : Garbage!

Corn Flakes
05-16-2006, 07:43 AM
[Wehnimer's, North Ring Rd.]
The east-west road continues, closed in on the south by the militia barracks and on the north by the twelve-foot-high wall of the city itself. The insistent thud of leather boots in unison upon cobbled pavement and the clipped shouts of barked orders reverberate off the modwir walls along this part of the road. The scents of leather, weapon oil and hearty cooking fill the air here. You also see the barracks entrance.
Obvious paths: east, west

A small bird lands nearby and begins to sing cheerfully.

Please choose a name that is not out of place in the medieval fantasy genre. Names that have out-of-genre meanings or are overly 'silly' in nature are disruptive to the fantasy roleplaying environment. Thank you.

Cryptosporidium, you have been moved to another room so that you can pick an appropriate name for your character. Your character information and inventory has been saved. Once you have renamed your character to a more appropriate name, you will be returned to the game with your character and inventory intact. To proceed, type RENAME and follow the instructions you are given.

You are healed.

You ask, "What?"

You say, "Excuse me."

A shaft of scintillating light suddenly pierces the ceiling and strikes the ground next to you. The beam of light then explodes in a shower of sparks and Varulv is standing in its place.

You must change your name to something appropriate to the medieval fantasy setting of GemStone III, before you can do anything else. To change your name, type RENAME and follow the instructions you are given.

Speaking to Varulv, you ask, "Yes, so... What's going on?"

Varulv says, "The name is out of genre."

Varulv says, "So I have to ask you to change it."

You ask, "Alright?"

You say, "It's a microbial protist."

Varulv nods.

You ask, "That's out of genre?"

You say, "There are about a lot more than 1 name with plague/bacteria-bringer."

You ask, "And I get LCI'd for this?"

[Rename Pavilion]
You are here to rename your character. Type RENAME and follow the instructions given to change your name.
Also here: GameMaster Varulv
Obvious exits: none

You sigh.

Varulv says, "Considering the level of medieval scientific advancement, yes, it's out of genre."

You say, "That's... Different. But sure, as you wish."

You sigh extremely-heavi.

[Rename Pavilion]
You are here to rename your character. Type RENAME and follow the instructions given to change your name.

That name is unavailable. Please choose another name.
Use RENAME SUGGEST if you would like to see suggested names.

[Rename Pavilion]

You say, "Just thinking of something more in-genre that cannot possibly offend any."

You ask, "Was I BADNAME'd?"

You ask, "Out of morbid curiousity?"

Varulv says, "No idea."

You sigh.

You say, "Sorry if the name bothers you, it's changing."

You must type RENAME Bopalopia CONFIRM if you are sure you want that name.

You have successfully renamed your character!

Returning you now to your previous location.

The east-west road continues, closed in on the south by the militia barracks and on the north by the twelve-foot-high wall of the city itself. The insistent thud of leather boots in unison upon cobbled pavement and the clipped shouts of barked orders reverberate off the modwir walls along this part of the road. The scents of leather, weapon oil and hearty cooking fill the air here. You also see the barracks entrance.

>report Everything O.K. then, GM Varulv?

REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. You may type ONDUTY to see which staff members are currently on duty. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

SEND[Varulv] Good to go, thanks for your cooperation.

>report Sure thing...

REPORT should only be used to notify the GemStone IV staff of emergency situations or gamewide technical errors. Please use ASSIST for general support.

Message sent to all online game staff. You may type ONDUTY to see which staff members are currently on duty. If you feel the need to speak with the staff, please type ASSIST for a list of options.

You sigh.

Alfster
05-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Cryptosporidium is a shitty name, i don't care if it's in genre or not, it sucks balls

Sean of the Thread
05-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Waaaaaaa

Snapp
05-16-2006, 08:02 AM
I've seen worse names walking around, but it's the GM's call I guess. :shrug:

Aaysia
05-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Agreed with Snapp, there are far worse names out there. While not a stellar choice IMO, I prefer Cryptosporidium to Bopalopia, personally. And.. I had no idea what a cryptosporidium was so it wasn't going to jar me out of a medieval fantasy setting.

Judging from my experiences with 3 different characters in the past though, GM Varulv is really nice.

Miss X
05-16-2006, 09:31 AM
GM's are damned if they do and damned if they don't with these situations. I'm just glad to see people stepping in when they see awful names like the one in this case. Yay for Varulv!

AnticorRifling
05-16-2006, 09:57 AM
How can someone named Varulv ever comment on someone else's name?

Latrinsorm
05-16-2006, 12:21 PM
If you admit that the name is OOG, you must admit that Varulv was in the right to ask you to change it. That's really all there is to this situation.

If you feel that other names are also OOG, badname them.

Drew
05-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Well, it's better than Redhairpick....

SayGoodbye
05-16-2006, 03:42 PM
You should have sighed a few more times, I don't think you got your dissatisfaction across.

CrystalTears
05-16-2006, 03:52 PM
You should have sighed a few more times, I don't think you got your dissatisfaction across.
LOL! Werd.

Tisket
05-16-2006, 03:55 PM
lol @ your new name.

Corn Flakes
05-16-2006, 05:13 PM
lol @ your new name.

I was like "fuck it."

Hey Varulv, if you are reading this, SIGH. Yeah.

P.S. Great job! I'm sure you went on a complete LCI'ing rampage shortly afterwords of Mysticalkittykittendeathlydooms. WTG, pal. <Mutters something about people needing hobbies.>

SpunGirl
05-16-2006, 10:11 PM
LOL. You're all irate over your character's stupid name. Who needs a hobby?

-K

Allusion
05-16-2006, 10:12 PM
Dude get a fucking life, get a real name and get over it. You probably play some other Tool with a name just as stupid but managed to get up enough levels to not be LCIed. Boo-fuckin-hoo. Le-sigh. Le-whine.

Al

Nilandia
05-17-2006, 03:13 AM
It's probably bad enough that I know what cryptosporidium is, due to the forensics shows I love. They covered an outbreak of cryptosporidium infections somewhere in the US, though I don't recall the specifics. (I'm such an addict!)

I do remember seeing the name around in GS, but I don't recall whether or not I reported the name.

Gretchen

TheEschaton
05-17-2006, 05:21 AM
You weren't, by chance, a programmer for the AOL Game Federation now, were you, by the name of Cryptosporidium?

That guy was a twat.

-TheE-

Corn Flakes
05-17-2006, 05:30 AM
I don't know what that means, so I'm assuming no.

Heshinar
05-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Just a note

Varulv = Swedish for Werewolf - At least from what I found on the net.

Though I would rather see Varulv than some of the ones that are obvious sexual references with mispellings.

Wonder if anyone has gotten away with Phuque.