PDA

View Full Version : blaargh wtf!

Doughboy
05-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Anybody care to explain why the hell this microsoft optical mouse is randomly shutting off on my laptop? I just picked up a new driver from the microsoft website, and it kind of helped it out, but it still cuts out on me once in a while. At first I thought it was just a ram issue. Well now I'm up to a gig of ram on the laptop and it still happens...And I would much rather use the mouse at the office instead of the touch pad. Any ideas?

Teladro
05-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Does the mouse work on another computer?
Will another mouse work with the laptop?
Wired or wireless?
Has this issue occured from the start, or did it develop over time?

Doughboy
05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
1. dont know
2. yes, track ball mouse works fine
3. wired to a usb
4. dont remember

Teladro
05-04-2006, 10:28 PM
Well, if it's wired then it's pulling current from the laptop.
It could be an overheating issue. Noticed if the fan was running when it shuts down? That the laptop may be hot.
If you're plugged in, the AC adapter could be overcharging the laptop, causing it to shutdown. If the laptop just shuts down and doesn't restart, that could be an issue. You can have the adapter tested.
If you're only on battery when this happens, it could idicate a problem with the battery cell.
As far as memory goes, it's possible that's the cause, but I wouldn't start there. If you only increased the RAM, you may instead want to try removing the old stick, and seeing if that helps.

Edited to say going to bed. Anyone else have ideas to help?

Doughboy
05-04-2006, 10:32 PM
It's not the laptop thats shutting down, it's the mouse itself. When you plug in the mouse, the optical lights up, can see a red led in the back of the mouse also letting you know it's in. And sometimes it will just act like it's unplugged. Can unplug it, and re insert the plug and it'll work fine again for a while. Then you basically get your rinse, wash, repeat type of thing.

Latrinsorm
05-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Get a new cord or a new mouse. I'm assuming you tried every man's plan A: hitting it. I have a wireless-to-USB Logitech mouse that works great so long as the batteries keep their sweetness and probably doesn't fry my brain very much at all.

Doughboy
05-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Well, after talking to a microsoft tech, we reinstalled the usb port drivers. He thinks that either the drivers were corrupt, which I doubt because other usb devices worked fine...or theres a defective mouse. He'll call me tommorow to see if it works or not. If not, new mouse at least.

Doughboy
05-04-2006, 11:03 PM
Oh guess what, it died again quite litterally moments after making my last post.

Back
05-04-2006, 11:16 PM
Died completely or just spazzes out every now and again?

I’ve found that optical mice don’t work well on EVERY surface. I make sure to use a smooth black mousepad with no designs on it.

If its just cutting out completely, let me know your solution. I’ve been having the same problem and I get a window warning that says “Improper Device Removal” or something like that. I get the feeling my keyboard may be a factor because it dies as well and the mouse is plugged into it.

Sean of the Thread
05-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm not going to lie.. for optical mouse you can't beat a 3M precision mouse pad. I have trouble on reflective surfaces (duh) and marbled wood. Other than that love my loggytech optical.. great for pwning noobs in FPS.

3M.. making money by making your life better!

HarmNone
05-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Bad mousie! Bad! Get a new mouse.

Sean of the Thread
05-05-2006, 12:30 AM
I'd suggest getting a new gerbil.

Doughboy
05-05-2006, 04:15 PM
I had a bad experience with trouser snakes and gerbils....

Hips
05-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Do tell. :popcorn:

Asha
05-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Blow into the port like you would into a SNES or a Megadrives cartridge slot.
:)

Doughboy
05-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Blow into the port like you would into a SNES or a Megadrives cartridge slot.
:)

The sad part, is I tried that already. Even did the whole jiggle it around while it's partially in and all. I was looking for a power or reset button near the port...but I couldnt find anything that would rapidly let me cycle it (i.e. mash the button a ton of times till it worked).

Apathy
05-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I had that problem with my optical. One of those USB to old-fashioned uhhm male-port-mouse-thingy-converters fixed it.