PDA

View Full Version : Golfing

Wezas
05-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Yes, I'm getting old.

At our bowling league banquet (food, money handout & poker) a few guys approached me to ask if I wanted to join in a tournament they're having in late June. I told them I'd check the dates and see if I was able to.

I took lessons..... ages ago. I've played probably a total of 4 rounds in the past 6 years (none in the past 3). I've got my own clubs and a new 3-wood (broke the head off the last one).

We're playing a "best ball" round of 18, with each of the 4-some having to have at least 2 tee shots that everyone hits from. I'm planning on hitting a driving range that's 2 minutes from my work (and actually the course where we'll be playing).

Any tips? I know how to hold the club, etc. My problem is more of control. I find that if I take even a 1/2 swing or 3/4 swing I hit it pretty straight, but just not as far as if I try to crush it. Crushing it half the time means it's in the woods somewhere.

Marl
05-03-2006, 04:07 PM
my advice...drink enough to get loose but not drunk...or pain pills/muscle relaxors heh(if you are the enhanced type person). Anything to relax your muscles. Key to good drive is SMOOTH swing so never try to kill it just full relaxed swing will go alot farther than ya think. if you are having a bad slice try closing the head a little bit. Also on drives place the ball towards your front foot, that seems to help a bit.

Skeeter
05-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Golf takes lots of practice & it's better to hit it straight than lose the ball.

Drew
05-03-2006, 04:16 PM
Trying to hit the ball hard will invariably result in it going nowhere. Take smooth loose swings, guys who try to muscle the ball always mess up. Rotation is key here, twist your torso and flow into the shot, don't swing it like a baseball bat.

Take a practice shot where you focus on being smooth and just skimming the top of the grass, once you get in that mode, step up, remain relax, don't attempt to put any extra juice on the swing, and go for it.

Tromp
05-03-2006, 04:52 PM
I recommend xanax or the "kind". Booze will just make you sloppy. You really just need to go up to the ball without tension.

AnticorRifling
05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Power comes from the legs and trunk not from the arms. You try and push the ball with your arms you're going to push it into the woods, which is probably your issue.

Hulkein
05-03-2006, 09:52 PM
Kind of hard for me to give many good tips without showing you, so I dunno, I'll recommend a book.

http://www.intheholegolf.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TWHIPG&gcid=C11387x041

Great help.

Tsa`ah
05-04-2006, 02:45 AM
Bowling leagues, golf outings ... go get your prostate examined, vote the GOP ticket, lease PB's mini-van .... and start talking about the weather and your aches with the guys at the legion.

You're younger than me ... yet older in so many ways.

Wezas
05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Name two other recognized sports where it is acceptable and normal to drink while playing and I'll listen to a word you have to say.

AnticorRifling
05-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Hockey and door to door evangalism (if you don't think going door to door trying to convert people while plastered isn't a sport that's your loss imo)

Sean of the Thread
05-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Let the club do the work.

Gan
05-04-2006, 10:42 AM
I love best ball tourneys.

I recommend working on your short game. Chances are you'll have somoene in your group that will have a decent long ball. And the odds of you hitting the required 1 or 2 straight longballs in 18 holes are good without investing great amounts of practice.

When at the range, stick with either irons or woods for that session - work on muscle memory with repitition.

I think the short game is where you'll be a greater contributor to the group with your experience. Work on 3/4 swings with your 7,8,9,PW irons and practice smooth steady strokes with your head down - you've got 3 other guys to watch where your ball goes after you hit it.

Also spend time on the putting greens with your putter. You'd be suprised how many strokes are added onto a hole by 3 putting the green. Also, when you're practicing putting, dont stand in one spot and put ball after ball into the same hole. Simulate being on a green for the first time and not knowing the speed/break of the green from your lie (position). On large practice puttin greens - take 1 ball and go from hole to hole instead of the driving range approach with a handfull of balls. Small greens, drop from new lies around the cup to mix things up to work on your touch/power of using the putter.

And for gods sake dont try to adopt any form that does not feel comfortable for you. Attempting to radically change your form prior to a golf event will just make you frustrated and useless to the group.

Hitting a golf ball is like making a free throw in basketball. Step up to the line, follow your short ritual and execute. Dont overthink with hands, feet, hips, backswing, etc. (Beer is a great antidote for overthinking when used in moderation)

You'll have fun with best ball style play, its great for large group tourneys with high average handicaps. Most of all, just have fun with the group.

Latrinsorm
05-04-2006, 11:45 AM
Name two other recognized sports where it is acceptable and normal to drink while playing and I'll listen to a word you have to say.Rec League Softball!
Rec League Softball!

Miss X
05-04-2006, 11:50 AM
You mean Girlball, surely?

Latrinsorm
05-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Upon further review, the intial post stands.

Rec League Softball!

Alfster
05-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Bar league slow pitch is fun

But with golf definatly work on your putting. I recently went golfing for the first time in 2 years and I was surprised at how well I could hit the ball.

I 3 putted every single fuckin' hole. Par 3, put it on the green 5 yards from the hole and still 3 putted it. Work on putting.

Stanley Burrell
05-04-2006, 06:01 PM
Yes, I'm getting old.

If you find ginger ale to be an acceptable soft drink beverage, then yes, that and golfing will be the defining characteriscs of age.

And being Edaarin.