PDA

View Full Version : Bush: Above the Law?

Ravenstorm
05-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Bush challenges hundreds of laws. (http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/04/30/bush_challenges_hundreds_of_laws/?page=full)

President Bush has quietly claimed the authority to disobey more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, asserting that he has the power to set aside any statute passed by Congress when it conflicts with his interpretation of the Constitution.

Not that I think certain conservatives won't rubber stamp anything Bush does but it's something to think about for those who are less ardent in their blanket approval.

Wezas
05-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Ravenstorm, he'll be the decider in what laws can be bent.

Stanley Burrell
05-03-2006, 01:20 PM
Said Golove, the New York University law professor: ''Bush has essentially said that 'We're the executive branch and we're going to carry this law out as we please, and if Congress wants to impeach us, go ahead and try it.' "

That holds to be extremely true. A few summers ago, I was working with individuals of the research and medical field who were pushing for Ru486 to become an OTC medication. Since GWB came to power, the traditional veto process had been mangled so badly and is done in such one snap unilateral spurts, that many-a-times the media doesn't get the proper oppurtunity or awareness to notify the public in any sort of understandable manner.

All in all, I don't even want begin thinking about some of the more dastardly things done by this administration that have been successfully covered up with this sort of ratio going for them.

Whatever. 2008 is close by.

Skirmisher
05-03-2006, 01:23 PM
It's good to be the king... I mean President.

DeV
05-03-2006, 02:17 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/Summore000/GeorgeWBush_BecauseHeSaysSo.jpg

Shari
05-03-2006, 04:00 PM
hehe, you guys crack me up

Apathy
05-03-2006, 07:15 PM
<boondock saints>

Wyatt fucking Erp!

</boondock saints>

Firefly
05-03-2006, 09:56 PM
It's an amazingly simple and effective way to circumvent the law and the checks and balances that our system of government is all about. It's also sickening.

Artha
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Constitutiowned.

Sean of the Thread
05-03-2006, 10:16 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e394/Summore000/GeorgeWBush_BecauseHeSaysSo.jpg

Good thing for checks and balances huh?

Warriorbird
05-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Cept they don't work properly under this disjointed one party rule.

Sean of the Thread
05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Cept they don't work properly under this disjointed one party rule.

Congratz.. you've exceeded blacklash foil hat status. You may want team up with Charlie Sheen and his "airliners stealthed by cloaking devices" on 9/11 theory.

Warriorbird
05-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Uh. The Republicans have all three branches of government. WTF is a conspiracy theory about that? Maybe you need to go back and take some basic political theory.

Examples of checks and balances breaking down? The Terry Schiavo case would be high on the list.

The same thing happened when the Democrats had all three branches. For all his heroism, FDR eventually went WAY past the line.

It's just human or political nature. Not wacko in the slightest. Head back to that there textbook.

DeV
05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
Good thing for checks and balances huh?They are certainly worth protecting.

When party loyalty reigns supreme you tend to see a lot of blank checks and no balances.

Skirmisher
05-04-2006, 12:05 PM
They are certainly worth protecting.

When party loyalty reigns supreme you tend to see a lot of blank checks and no balances.

Heck, until Katrina even the media was in check and unwilling to really step up and ask the tough questions.

I assumed he was joking about the checks and balances thing as Bush has shown his disdain for all other branches of the government time and time again.

Ah well, silly me for giving some posters too much credit.

HarmNone
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
Personally, I think some of the "checks" in this administration are a more than a little unbalanced.

Mighty Nikkisaurus
05-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Heh.. the checks and balances have been systematically destroyed, and yes, Republicans hold control over all 3 major areas of Federal Government.

I hate our party system here in the US-- us only having two parties with any real power is a problem with our entire government system-- not enough cross-party checking, not enough options. Instead of voting for the best man for the job, we've degenerated into "Anyone but THAT guy!"

All in all, it sucks.

Artha
05-04-2006, 08:44 PM
You'd think that with all the discontent about politicians on both sides of the isle, some viable third party would rise, Bull Moose style. If only I were 35...

HarmNone
05-04-2006, 09:01 PM
Gah! President Artha! What a mind-boggling thought!

Artha
05-04-2006, 09:27 PM
If I get a few good breaks you might see me in about 17 years. Assuming the two parties suck equally as strongly then.

HarmNone
05-04-2006, 10:05 PM
I shall begin preparations immediately. Let's see...there's the bunker to be built in the backyard, rations to be bought and tucked away, loved ones to be considered and provided for...

I've got a lot of work to do! :(

Sean of the Thread
05-04-2006, 10:39 PM
The whole party bashing thing is retarded.. either you're on board for a plan/idea or you're not. To blindly follow is just because of your party is just plain stupid. Then again most of you blindly follow your <insert religion> because you were told to as well which is just as fucking stupid.

Back
05-04-2006, 11:32 PM
http://www.zendada.com/images/art2006.jpg

Warriorbird
05-05-2006, 01:30 PM
That's beautiful.