PDA

View Full Version : Testing my PSP

Kranar
04-30-2006, 09:38 PM
I just won this incredibly cool PSP and wanted to test out its internet functionality. Typing this message on it could be easier but its not too bad. Anyhow this thing is so much more useful as a mini PC than as a gaming device. Anyone else here own one and put it to interesting use

Skirmisher
04-30-2006, 09:50 PM
Congratulations Kranar!

How did you win it?

Kranar
04-30-2006, 10:04 PM
Everyone in my group won one after an 8 hour long computer programming contest.

It's pretty neat how people are putting the PSP to use, PSPRadio station, internet browser, programs that let you play SNES, Genesis, and other games on it.

This thing really is like a mini-computer with games available for it. There's even a PSP-Linux project in the works.

If anyone else owns one and knows of cool uses for it, share em. This and other small handheld devices have so much potential.

Wezas
04-30-2006, 11:04 PM
If you want to use it for interesting things, don't upgrade the firmware.

Which means, in all likelyhood, you won't be able to play any recent/future.

I've heard of it being used as a remote control as well.

HarmNone
04-30-2006, 11:34 PM
Cool win, Kranar! Congratulations! :)

Kranar
05-01-2006, 02:16 AM
If you want to use it for interesting things, don't upgrade the firmware.

Which means, in all likelyhood, you won't be able to play any recent/future.

Yes, I downgraded my firmware from 2.0 to 1.5. Although Sony is beginning to open up to the idea that the PSP be used by in-home programmers and may even officially support some future projects.

I don't really care for the PSP video games to be honest. I never grew out of the NES, SNES and Genesis generation.

Only modern games I play now are computer RTS or online multiplayer games.

I've heard of it being used as a remote control as well.

Just enabled mine to do that.

Wezas
05-01-2006, 09:52 AM
If you do ever upgrade your firmware, one game that I bought that you might like is Midway Arcade Treasures - Extended Play.

Mortal Kombat 1, 2, & 3
Gauntlet (up to 4 players)
Spy Hunter
Defender
Paperboy
720 degrees
Klax
Joust
Marble Madness
Rampage
Rampart
Championship Spring
Arch Rivals
and others.

It was like I had my Comm 64 back.

Wezas
05-01-2006, 09:57 AM
Also I heard rumor of integration with the PS3. Possibly using the PSP as a controller for some PS3 games. Would work well in games like Madden, where you're playing the person next to you, but don't want them to see which play you have.

Still speculation, last I heard.

It would be nice if there was some homebrew PSP software that would let you attach a webcam/camera via the USB port and actually use it.