PDA

View Full Version : Attention Slackers: Keep slacking at work.

Sean of the Thread
04-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I wonder if chatting at work would be covered?

April 24, 2006, 8:13AM
Judge: Web-Surfing Worker Can't Be Fired

© 2006 The Associated Press

NEW YORK — Saying surfing the web is equivalent to reading a newspaper or talking on the phone, an administrative law judge has suggested that only a reprimand is appropriate as punishment for a city worker accused of failing to heed warnings to stay off the Internet.

Administrative Law Judge John Spooner reached his decision in the case of Toquir Choudhri, a 14-year veteran of the Department of Education who had been accused of ignoring supervisors who told him to stop browsing the Internet at work.

The ruling came after Mayor Michael Bloomberg fired a worker in the city's legislative office in Albany earlier this year after he saw the man playing a game of solitaire on his computer.

In his decision, Spooner wrote: "It should be observed that the Internet has become the modern equivalent of a telephone or a daily newspaper, providing a combination of communication and information that most employees use as frequently in their personal lives as for their work."

He added: "For this reason, city agencies permit workers to use a telephone for personal calls, so long as this does not interfere with their overall work performance. Many agencies apply the same standard to the use of the Internet for personal purposes."

Spooner dispensed the lightest possible punishment on Choudhri, a reprimand, after a search of Choudhri's computer files revealed he had visited several news and travel sites.

Martin Druyan, Choudhri's lawyer, called the ruling "very reasonable."

Daniel
04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Wow. What a dick @ bloomberg.

Drew
04-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Yeah he fired some guy for not doing his job. How awful.

DeV
04-25-2006, 04:21 PM
Personally, I never understood how solitare could be enjoyable in the first place.

Speaking of which, some of the IT guys I work with spend as much time taking smoking breaks as I do surfing the net.

If it was that serious he had to be fired then they should have Microsoft games disabled on all the computers in the office.

alt+tab, ftw.

Sean of the Thread
04-25-2006, 05:17 PM
I tend to agree.. if you're gonna allow smoke breaks.. coffee breaks.. phone breaks.. cell phones in the office.. chatting on the phone whenver.. talking to your neighbor.. reading a magizine/book at your desk... then I see no problem with surfing the net.

Every job I've worked at ms games have been disabled.... I still played wow and GS from the last office job tho.

Alfster
04-25-2006, 06:02 PM
He added: "For this reason, city agencies permit workers to use a telephone for personal calls, so long as this does not interfere with their overall work performance. Many agencies apply the same standard to the use of the Internet for personal purposes."

So as long as the bar is set nice and low the city workers are okay.

I need this job.

Stanley Burrell
04-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I haven't had any sympathy for Bloomberg ever since he screwed up the pronunciation of "Joe Torre" at a press conference :thumbdown:

Stanley Burrell

Sean of the Thread
04-25-2006, 08:41 PM
While I like Torre.. and hate the spankees in general.. bloomberg sucks.

(go rays)