PDA

View Full Version : Body Worlds

Back
04-08-2006, 08:39 PM
http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/pages/home.asp

So this east german guy, Dr. Gunther von Hagens, has developed a technique that replaces fluids in cadavers with plastics, called plastination. He takes donated human cadavers, performs this plastination on them, then puts them on display.

There are three exhibits traveling around the U.S. Houston, Philly and Denver at the moment. I went to the one in Philly last Wednesday.

This is a show everyone must see. Not only do they display full body plastinations in different poses without skin and with exploded views of organs, nerves and even circulatory systems, they also have cases dedicated to each of the organs systems showing healthy and common ailments for each. For example, you get to see a healthy artery system and a clogged artery system. A healthy lung, and a cancer laden smokers lung. And these are real organs. Its incredible.

When we went on a Wednesday afternoon and it was packed. Mainly from all the students on field trips. Yeah, it sounds ghastly... real human bodies on display, but there were tons of kids there because ultimately, its a chance to view human anatomy like never before.

Click on the media button in the above link to see some of it. There is also a gallery at http://sln.fi.edu/bodyworlds/

Stanley Burrell
04-08-2006, 08:42 PM
I am making the assumption that Germany's organ donating supplies are at extremely full stock.

Also, :lol: that is sick, twisted and wonderful.

Stanley Burrell.

StrayRogue
04-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Ah you guys are so behind. Over the last two years this guy has been doing live televised autopsies, covering the various parts and functions of the body from pregnancy, reproduction, eating, growth and death. Effectively he cuts up freshly dead bodies on air.

His exhibition is even older news.

Stanley Burrell
04-08-2006, 08:44 PM
ftw

Sean of the Thread
04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
We've had it for awhile at the MOSI. Florida tried to ban it due to legality of some statutes and there was a big shit fit over it. Evidently the bodies are bought from China's lost and found and used without the prior owners consent. This was in mid 2005.

Back
04-08-2006, 08:46 PM
Ah you guys are so behind. Over the last two years this guy has been doing live televised autopsies, covering the various parts and functions of the body from pregnancy, reproduction, eating, growth and death. Effectively he'd cut up freshly dead bodies on air.

His exhibition is even older news.

You know how we are over here. Still stuck in the Victorian age. But the good news is its a very popular show here right now. You'd have to be an idiot not to see the educational value of it.

And for the record, I've been waiting 4 years to see this exhibit. My family and I even thought about taking a trip to Berlin to see it four years ago.

Snapp
04-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I went and saw this a month or two ago. It's pretty nifty and creepy at the same time.