PDA

View Full Version : Russia Passed Info To Saddam?

Hulkein
03-24-2006, 04:19 PM
The Russian government had sources inside the American military command as the U.S. mounted the invasion of Iraq, and the Russians passed information to Saddam Hussein on troop movements and plans, according to Iraqi documents released as part of a Pentagon report.

The Russians relayed information to Saddam during the opening days of the 2003 war, including a crucial moment before the assault on Baghdad, according to the documents in the report Friday.

The unclassified report does not assess the value of the information or provide details beyond citing two captured Iraqi documents that say the Russians collected information from sources "inside the American Central Command" and that battlefield intelligence was provided to Saddam through the Russian ambassador in Baghdad.

A classified version of the Pentagon report, titled "Iraqi Perspectives Project," is not being made public.

In Moscow, a duty officer with Russia's Foreign Ministry declined to comment on the report late Friday evening. No one answered the phones at the Defense Ministry.

At Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Fla., officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment. State Department spokesman Adam Ereli declined to comment.

The Pentagon report cited two captured Iraqi documents on the matter of Russian intelligence, and the report also directly asserted that the intelligence link existed.

"Significantly, the regime was also receiving intelligence from the Russians that fed suspicions that the attack out of Kuwait was merely a diversion," the report's authors wrote. They cited as an example a document that was sent to Saddam on March 24, 2003, and captured by the U.S. military after Baghdad fell.

The document said: "The information that the Russians have collected from their sources inside the American Central Command in Doha is that the United States is convinced that occupying Iraqi cities are impossible," and that as a result the U.S. military would avoid urban combat.

Central Command's war-fighting headquarters is at an encampment in the desert just outside Doha, Qatar.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2006/03/24/national/w122327S01.DTL

..... Pretty surprising that they would go that far, if you ask me.

Warriorbird
03-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Doesn't suprise me in the slightest. Putin's on no side but his own.

Wezas
03-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Well, we have no choice.

As soon as we're finished with Iran we're coming for Russia.

North Korea will just have to wait it's turn.

Drew
03-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Wow, that's pretty amazing.

Back
03-24-2006, 04:42 PM
I remember during the Shock and Awe campaign there were reports of Russians on the ground operating radio jamming equipment for Iraq.

Daniel
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
Another interesting bit is the information coming out now. I'm not sure if its from the trial or not (I don't pay attention as the trial is just a dog and pony show anyway) but apparently up until America actually attacked Saddam felt safe because he believed his Russia and French relationship would save him in the UN.

Had he known, I don't think he would have been so pompous.

Latrinsorm
03-24-2006, 05:45 PM
Given that we did engage in urban combat, is it possible that the Russians were feeding Saddam disinformation on purpose, even at our behest?

Sean of the Thread
03-24-2006, 06:13 PM
I remember during the Shock and Awe campaign there were reports of Russians on the ground operating radio jamming equipment for Iraq.

Double true. The actually captured russian documents and equipment too. Got swept under the rug pretty fast.

Back
03-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Double true. The actually captured russian documents and equipment too. Got swept under the rug pretty fast.

You know I think we are all pretty lucky the Iraq invasion did not escalate into WWIII.

Daniel
03-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Ultimately, I doubt Russia would have risked a whole lot over Iraq.

Apotheosis
03-24-2006, 07:45 PM
after the way we fucked them over while they were occupying afghanistan, i'm surprised they didn't do more damage to us.

Sean of the Thread
03-24-2006, 07:58 PM
after the way we fucked them over while they were occupying afghanistan, i'm surprised they didn't do more damage to us.

Fuck the commies.

Warriorbird
03-25-2006, 02:30 PM
They're nationalists these days...just like America.

xtc
03-28-2006, 03:59 PM
.....add this to the the Israeli agents who were working for the Whitehouse and we are leaking like a sieve.