PDA

View Full Version : Oblivion is here!

Kefka
03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Just picked up the collector's edition. 3 hours, 8 minutes and 17 seconds before work is over... 6 seconds... Wonder if the 360 version's on par with the pc version.

CrystalTears
03-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Okay Ethan, relax. :D
http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comics/20060320.jpg

Kefka
03-21-2006, 03:33 PM
I don't know whatcha mean..... 1 hour, 59 minutes, 20 seconds...

Numbers
03-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Both versions are apparently identical, though the X360 has massive loading times and some framerate issues that the PC doesn't have. The PC also has the editor.

Of course, you need a monster rig to be able to play the PC version.

By the way, what extras are in the Collector's edition?

The Ponzzz
03-21-2006, 03:48 PM
What specs we talking to use the PC version?

Kefka
03-21-2006, 03:59 PM
Recommended:

3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card
Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card
and DirectX 9.0 compatible driver;
8x DVD-ROM drive
4.6 GB free hard disk space
DirectX 9.0c (included)
DirectX 8.1 compatible sound card
Keyboard, Mouse
Supported Video Card Chipsets:

ATI X1800 series
ATI X1300 series
ATI X850 series
ATI x800 series
ATI x700 series
ATI x600 series
ATI Radeon 9800 series
ATI Radeon 9700 series
ATI Radeon 9600 series
ATI Radeon 9500 series
ATI Radeon 9000 series
NVIDIA Geforce 7800 series
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 series
NVIDIA GeForce FX series

The Ponzzz
03-21-2006, 04:31 PM
How do ya check yer video card specs again? Heh, i forgot and my brain is fried...

Kuyuk
03-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Never heard of the game....

K.

crazymage
03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
is it just a FPS with swords?

Aaysia
03-21-2006, 04:59 PM
hehe. ctrl+alt+del rules

The Ponzzz
03-21-2006, 07:26 PM
Guess this is what I have:

Intel® Express Chipset Family

So am i screwed with that?

Daniel
03-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Pretty much

Kuyuk
03-21-2006, 08:38 PM
I just checked out their site, most of the graphics are mediocre at best, but a few are really good. Most of the monsters look like crap, most of the landscape looks good. Doesnt look appealing to me. Maybe the soundtrack though, how is it?

K.

Artha
03-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Morrowind was the same way with landscape looking a lot better than (N)PCs, but it's one of the best single player RPGs I've ever seen.

Shalla
03-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Is the narrator for the introduction of the game Patrick Stewart?

Sean of the Thread
03-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Morrowind was the same way with landscape looking a lot better than (N)PCs, but it's one of the best single player RPGs I've ever seen.

Double true. WHERE IS THAT GODDAMNED MUDCRAB! Fun game.

Asha
03-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Morrowind ftw.
Then I ruined it by cheating to get glass armour and the whole game lost its charm. The new one looks awesome.

Daniel
03-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Got my copy. Probably won't crack it open till monday

Artha
03-22-2006, 08:23 PM
Then I ruined it by cheating to get glass armour and the whole game lost its charm. The new one looks awesome.
It's possible to run straight to the Ghostgate, dodging mobs all the while, and have a full set of glass armor about 15 minutes after character creation. Sometimes open-endedness goes horribly awry.

One of the best things ever was robbing the House vaults in Vivec, though. And collecting all the nifty weapons for my house.

I'm going to stop before I go play that game again and get sucked in.

Sean of the Thread
03-22-2006, 09:05 PM
That was great.. robbing the vaults/houses etc. I'd always murder some chap in some town (usually a store with ample shelving!) to put all my items on display and take over as my smugglers cove.

Getting insane jumping ability and leaping from roof top to roof top running from guards was fun too. iI'd often find my self chanting to myself SPIDERMAN SPIDERMAN..

Neildo
03-23-2006, 02:27 AM
This game is sweet. The only downside is the stupid graphic rendering in medium to far off distances. It doesn't render all the way since it'll lag the hell out of your PC due to all the numerous fawna, trees, and such. I tweaked my init file to render them farther than the in-game settings allow, but any more and it's too much (at 1920x1200 w/ X2 4800 and X1900XTX). And another downside is not being able to have AA on with HDR even though my card supports it. These guys coded it that way so it won't lag out that way either. I prefer just having 6x AA and Bloom on instead of HDR lighting to remove all the jaggedness leftover.

As for the game itself, the character customization is outta control. You can tweak every single feature of your character's face/skin. You'll be able to eventually make an image of yourself in-game, heh. I spent at least an hour just tweaking the way my character looks. For all you alteration chick freaks in GS, you'll love that part of the game. ;)

The combat is a lot harder now that you gotta manually swing and block attacks. The fighting is super fast too and there's combo attacks and defensive manuevers you can learn later on. The still images of the monsters in the screenshots don't do them justice. They look WAY better in-game and especially in motion. Expect to have your ass handed to you quite often. Right now I'm sticking to long range attacks until I get better at it, heh.

The outdoors are absolutely beautiful. There's no game that can touch the outdoor graphics. It bests even Far Cry except for the rendering distance (unless you tweak your settings to have a good 2-5 minute load time, otherwise it's almost instantaneous). When you're in a forest or something where it blocks the lower quality graphics of afar (and I'm talking miles of viewing distance), then there's nothing to distract you other than the jaw-dropping scenery.

The Radiant AI is pretty cool too. I've run into some funny situations with the AI interacting with one another or having to track down someone to learn their schedule before robbing their place. I also like bumping into other NPC adventurers hunting in areas I am, heh. Only had that happen a couple times though.

This is all basically Morrowind Part II as opposed to a new version of Elder Scrolls. If you loved Morrowind, you'll love this. Lots of things have been updated to have you interact better with the world. All NPCs are unique in their daily scheduling as well as their looks. Each NPC has their own speach dialogue so you don't have to read a bunch of text like in Morrowind. It's a real cool game. I just hope that a patch is released soon for better tweaking of the init file to fix those draw distances and any other minor things that may be needed. I want everything to have the up-close view you get rather than a mix of crappy far off graphics with some beautiful up close ones.

- N

kheldarin
03-30-2006, 07:36 PM
Shit, I bought an AMD Athlon 4200+ Dual Core, 2 gigs of ram, and a an ATI Radeon x1900 XTX. But gah, I'm still waiting for the video card to come in.. 2 more hours!

It's pretty sad to say that I bought that rig mainly for Oblivion..

Artha
03-30-2006, 08:06 PM
The computers at my school have P4 HTs, 2Gb RAM and 128mb video cards. I'm installing Oblivion and never doing work again.

kheldarin
03-31-2006, 05:46 AM
I'm running Oblivion on max settings and the game is fucking b-e-a-utiful. Too bad it doesn't support HDR+AA at the same time.

radamanthys
03-31-2006, 06:22 AM
Level 15... I just turned it off for the first time in a couple days...

Mastering a skill would be insane. However, I'm getting pretty high up there in the Mage's Guild :-)

I think it'd take just about as much time to cap a character in this game as it would GS.

Skeeter
03-31-2006, 10:02 AM
I bought this game on Monday. played through the first scene, and escaped the jail. Now I'm stuck outside it's raining, and I'm frustrated because everywhere I go is either locked or I get arrested.

Hope this game gets a lot better otherwise it will soon be collecting dust. I'm also kinda disappointed with the keyboard controls. I like being able to control all movement from the mouse. I usually play left handed and that makes keyboard controls tough, cause I have to switch sides.

radamanthys
03-31-2006, 10:08 AM
it's controlled like a FPS, and hit tab and check yer quest log to see where to go

kheldarin
03-31-2006, 05:34 PM
I played it for a bit on my older computer, a sword/bow/thief/assassin type of character. Then I started a new game on my new computer with a barbarian orc. And lemme tell you, the game's so much more different, haha. But I'd have to say, being in the assassin guild is awesome. Lots of murder and betrayal.

To the other people playing this game, what're your computer specs and how well does it run for you?

Back
03-31-2006, 07:05 PM
There are a bunch of vids on Google Video if anyone does not have it and is interested in seeing what its like. Google Video won't get you the best quality, but there are a couple of cool gladiator arena battles that give you a feel for game play.

radamanthys
04-01-2006, 03:15 AM
I got it to run on my laptop. it's a 64 meg Radeon Mobilty 9000, with a gig of ram and a 3.2 ghz processor. However, that card is unsupported, and I had to replace a couple of the shader files and such. It's not great, but the framerate is good, and the graphics aren't bad. I might increase the distance stuff, though.

kheldarin
04-01-2006, 04:44 PM
There are a bunch of vids on Google Video if anyone does not have it and is interested in seeing what its like. Google Video won't get you the best quality, but there are a couple of cool gladiator arena battles that give you a feel for game play.

Yeah, screenshots alone won't do this game justice.

Neildo
04-04-2006, 03:16 AM
I bought this game on Monday. played through the first scene, and escaped the jail. Now I'm stuck outside it's raining, and I'm frustrated because everywhere I go is either locked or I get arrested.

Hope this game gets a lot better otherwise it will soon be collecting dust. I'm also kinda disappointed with the keyboard controls. I like being able to control all movement from the mouse. I usually play left handed and that makes keyboard controls tough, cause I have to switch sides.

If everything is locked where you're going, it's because you're trying to break into someone's home and are tresspassing. You also need to pay attention to what time of the day it is (hit T for time) because NPCs live their regular lives so stores aren't open 24/7. Most open at 8am, some at 9am so try entering during those hours.

As for the controls, you can customize them so I don't know what the problem is.

If you don't know what to do once you exit the sewers, you're supposed to travel somewhere to deliver the amulet like the emporer told you. Hit TAB and click on the bottom right compass/map icon and then the last two icons on the bottom right are about your quests and that'll tell you where to go and whatnot. You're supposed to head to Chorrel. You can quick travel in this game to all the towns right off the bat or other areas you've previously visited. Go to the world map hit TAB and the bottom right compass/map icon and either the 1st or 2nd buttom on the bottom left. Then just click on an icon on your map and it'll ask if you wish to quick travel.

To the other people playing this game, what're your computer specs and how well does it run for you?

With HDR on and max settings at 1920x1200 with an X2 4800+, X1900XTX, and 2GB RAM, I get around 45-100 FPS indoors, 35-80 FPS in town, and 15-45 FPS outdoors with the average being 25. The trees and vegetation are insane!

- N

Neildo
04-06-2006, 08:11 PM
ATI has just released a hotfix patch for Oblivion which allows you to have HDR + AA enabled at the same time if your card supports it.

Download here:
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=21960

- N

Suppa Hobbit Mage
04-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I joined the assassin guild and so far I've assassinated a pirate, dropped a stuffed minotaur head on another to "accidently" kill him, and broke into jail to kill a prisoner without being seen.

Pretty bad ass game so far.

Sean of the Thread
04-06-2006, 09:58 PM
Is there a pirates guild? YARRRG. So is it just a re-tooled morrowind or??

Neildo
04-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Here's a link to a cool mod pack that includes (in the full version) a fix to the far off rendering terrain issue and makes it look MUCH better:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=341361&st=0

So is it just a re-tooled morrowind or??

Yes, and then some.

- N

kheldarin
04-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Neildo, fuckin awesome man, thanks.

Neildo
04-07-2006, 03:17 PM
I thought the map pack had this one too, but it only has two, it's one that also helps fix the background textures:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=330112

And here's more info on the previous map texture mod:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=328524

- N

Apathy
04-10-2006, 03:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP9CHQZ3mHw&feature=Views&page=1&t=w&f=b

Sean of the Thread
04-10-2006, 04:07 PM
I just started playing today. So far so good. :)

Daniel
04-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Say goodbye to your social life

Artha
04-10-2006, 06:52 PM
Like one existed in the first place ^^

Numbers
04-29-2006, 06:01 PM
Here's a link to a cool mod pack that includes (in the full version) a fix to the far off rendering terrain issue and makes it look MUCH better:

http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=341361&st=0

- N

What's the name of the mod pack that that link is for? I picked up the game the other day, and the distant textures are pretty crummy. I went to check that link, but it's a dead one.

Know of a current one?