PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero!

Numbers
03-18-2006, 07:21 PM
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/663/663674p1.html

I played this at my buddy's house the other day. When I first saw it, my initial thought was, "That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've ever seen."

After playing it for two hours, I decided I had to get my own.

This game is one of the most fun games I've ever played.

Sean of the Thread
03-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Man you got me pumped thinking this thread was about ESTEBAN!

ELO
03-18-2006, 09:35 PM
I was thinking about getting it, but there weren't enough songs that I liked, and only one song that I really like.

I can't remember which one it was though. It was either by Foriegner or Boston.

How can you have a guitar game without any ZZ Top?

Numbers
03-18-2006, 10:54 PM
ZZTop is in it. Sharp Dressed Man is their song.

Queen and David Bowie as well.

In fact, here's the full song list copied from GameFAQ's. Aside from these, there's also a whole bunch of bonus tracks from independent bands, but none of them are all that great. I expect Guitar Hero 2 will have even better tracks.

===========================
======1.Opening Licks======

I Love Rock & Roll - Joan Jett & The Blackhearts
I Wanna Be Sedated - The Ramones
Thunder Kiss 65 - White Zombie
Smoke On The Water - Deep Purple
Infected - Bad Religion

======2.Axe-Grinders=======
Iron Man - Black Sabbath
More Than A Feeling - Boston
You Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand
Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top

====3.Thrash And Burn======

Killer Queen - Queen
Hey You - The Exies
Stellar - Incubus
Heart Full of Black - Burning Brides
Symphony Of Destruction - Megadeth

===4.Return of the Shred===

Ziggy Stardust - David Bowie
Fat Lip - Sum 41
Cochise - Audioslave
Take It Off - The Donnas
Unsung - Helmet

======5.Fret-Burners=======

Spanish Castle Magic - Jimi Hendrix
Higher Ground - Red Hot Chili Peppers
No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age
Ace Of Spades - Motorhead
Crossroads - Cream

======6.Face-Melters=======

Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult
Texas Flood - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Frankenstein - The Edgar Winter Group
Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
Bark at the Moon - Ozzy Osbourne

Wezas
03-19-2006, 12:02 AM
I was thinking about getting this for my nephew for Christmas but got talked out of it because of cost (would have been $130 for 2 guitars and the game, $70 for just 1 guitar & game). It sounds like a great concept, and the only negative reviews I've seen is that a few songs are quite difficult to perform, which should just make you practice more.

radamanthys
03-19-2006, 02:37 AM
That game gets HARD.

Soulpieced
03-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Soulpieced has beaten every song on expert. 5 stars up through level 4, etc. etc. etc. It is pretty tough, and likely would be for a kid.

ELO
03-19-2006, 10:15 AM
ZZTop is in it. Sharp Dressed Man is their song.

Queen and David Bowie as well.

I'll be damned.

There are a quite a few more good songs on there than I realized.

I really hoped for Layla, though. (The version with Duane Allaman and Eric Clapton.) That would have sealed the deal for me. That or "So Into You" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section. (The longer version) Those have some kick ass guitar solos.

Maybe they'll make a second one?

Edited to add :

More Than A Feeling - Boston.

<3 <3 <3

Numbers
03-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, Layla would definitely be a good song to have. Some Pink Floyd and Zeppelin as well. Metallica would also be good for some of the guitar pieces. Chances are Guitar Hero 2 will have a much larger and wider array of songs, since this game has turned into a sleeper hit.

But yeah, what Soulpieced and Rada said is definitely correct. I breezed through easy and medium difficulty with 5 stars on every song. I've been trying the hard difficulty, and the leap in difficulty between medium and hard is insane. Not only does it add the last fret, but it introduces a shit load of hammer-on's and pull-off's, as well as ramping up the speed. I can nail a few songs down easily, but there are some in ther that are insane. I imagine it gets easier with practice.

radamanthys
03-19-2006, 06:48 PM
My housemate has it, and I play it occasionally. Not enough to have had "practice". I get to a hard level, and crap myself.

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2006, 03:39 PM
<<Soulpieced has beaten every song on expert. 5 stars up through level 4, etc. etc. etc.>>

I've played a few times in the last few weeks (two of my friends own the game, my PS2 no work so I don't own it), and I beat Cowboys From Hell on hard with 3 stars I think on my second try, but I probably wouldn't be able to do better.

You're insane. I want to be good :(

Soulpieced
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
It just takes a LOT of playing. Many many hours.

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh, I almost forgot.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Amber+the+Guitar+Hero

The first one is way, way better.

Soulpieced
06-18-2006, 04:05 PM
She's not even fucking strumming! If she is, she's playing on easy... BFD.

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Hahaha she's playing on easy.

And she submitted the second one to videosuperstarz.com, an amazingly funny site.

Numbers
06-18-2006, 05:44 PM
I still can't beat Expert. I've got most of the songs beat on Hard. I think it's my hand placement. Instead of using my pinky to switch between blue and orange I use my index finger to switch between green and red. And if I try shifting I get all confused.

My best songs are Ziggy Stardust, Killer Queen, and Take Me Out. The last time I tried Crossroads on Expert, I got through 7 notes before failing the song. I'm lame.

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2006, 07:06 PM
The only song I got 100% on medium was Hey You so far, and I'm pretty good at Symphony of Destruction and Godzilla.

Oh, and Spanish Castle Magic.

Back
06-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Wouldn’t the time and money be better spent on really learning how to play guitar?

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2006, 07:24 PM
No. I've already done that (acoustic though), and video games are way cooler.

It's really different from actually playing a guitar and a lot more fun, especially when you plug the Playstation's audio into a guitar's amp.

Back
06-18-2006, 07:53 PM
It was just a question. I know I’ve wasted money and time on games myself so I can’t be one to judge.

Does this game at least have a compositional aspect where you can freeform with all that button pushing you learn?

Bobmuhthol
06-18-2006, 08:19 PM
I don't think they'd be able to make anything like that because the guitar just has the 5 fret buttons. You'd get the same sound from them each time, but in the programmed songs they play the sound that corresponds to that song. And if you hit a note where it doesn't belong during a song, it just screeches.

Clove
12-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Guitar Hero 3 kicks ass. That's all.

Soulpieced
12-02-2007, 05:01 PM
Wouldn’t the time and money be better spent on really learning how to play guitar?

LMAO, great bump. I'll reference this quote from Backlash, as it was pretty much taken verbatim on the South Park Guitar Hero episode.

"No, that's gay Mr. Marsh".

LMingrone
12-02-2007, 07:54 PM
"Rehab Hero"

The Ponzzz
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Yea, GH3 was great. I need to pick up ROCK BAND though...

Soulpieced
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
YOU DON'T EVER CATCH THE DRAGON!!

Doughboy
12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
YOU DON'T EVER CATCH THE DRAGON!!

Rofl...Awesome episode.

Marl
12-03-2007, 10:25 AM
do I just suck or do alot of people find hard..well...hard

ofc I have never played any of the other gh games before this and have 5 gold starred easy and 5 starred medium. That goddamn orange button screws me every time

Drew2
12-13-2007, 02:45 AM
I made it through Dragonforce - Through the Fires and the Flames on Medium on Guitar hero 3.

Fuck all you niggas I win at this shit.

Danical
12-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Video or it never happened.

Axhinde
12-13-2007, 03:15 AM
I made it through Dragonforce - Through the Fires and the Flames on Medium on Guitar hero 3.

Goof 4 j00, now do it on hard. I just did tonight. I now have carpel tunnel.

Sean of the Thread
12-13-2007, 07:31 AM

Drew you're our Guitar Queer-O

Numbers
12-13-2007, 12:10 PM
I went back to Guitar Hero 1 and 2 the other day, and it's amazing how much easier those games are. Songs that I couldn't even attempt on Expert I was now nailing on my first try.