PDA

View Full Version : 740 released.

Praefection
03-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Sorcerers Tread the Road to Runes

Planar Rift - Spell 740 - Released

Duration: Immediate

Type: Utility

Thought to be hidden forever, the pathways created by the sorcerer known as Nameless, whose body now lies buried beneath ruins in Illistim, have been rediscovered. Nearly lost to all sorcerers, due to Triad's operative Vellinos? efforts, the knowledge has been recovered by the Council of Sorcerous Magic and incorporated into the rote spell list of their circle.

Sorcerers successful in harnessing this magic will be able to scribe magical runes within the confines of a protective circle. A successful casting of spell 740 within the circle, will allow the sorcerer to travel the pathways formed by threads of mana running through the fabric of the lands to a chosen destination.

To use this spell the sorcerer must first obtain a book in which a suitable magical rune has been written.

Next the sorcerer must draw a protective circle using chalk. The surviving scholars of the Sorcerer's Guild caution that only very high quality chalk should be used when the road to be traveled is a long one. Less expensive material may be used for shorter trips.

Once the circle is properly prepared, the sorcerer must draw the rune inside it. Due to the complex nature of the runes and the potential for disaster, the book containing the rune for the desired destination must be held in the hand of the sorcerer while the rune is being drawn.

Finally, the sorcerer is ready to cast Planar Rift. If successful, a pathway will be revealed which the Sorcerer may utilize. If the distance traveled is small the sorcerer may even bring their group with them.

Miscasts have potentially disastrous consequences. Sorcerers are urged to use caution, as rumor has it that failures can lead to unleashing an enraged demon upon Elanthia Study in the lores of demonology can reduce the chance of mishap. Inter-realm teleportation has a base failure rate of 10%, reduced by 1% per every 12 demonology ranks

Instructions for Rune Writers

Using SENSE a sorcerer may discover the rune which is needed to return them to the room they are standing in. This rune may be written in a book which the sorcerer has bound with magic.

A sorcerer may only write runes into a book which she has bonded to, though she may loan her book to another sorcerer and that sorcerer may write the runes it contains into their own chalk circles.

The bond between a sorcerer and her book is very personal. No demonologist can write in a book belonging to another. A sorcerer who has misplaced or sold their book may sever the bond with that book. The sorcerer will then be able to begin writing a new book. The original book, although retaining the runes it has currently, will not be able to have new runes written in it.

Supplies for Spellcasters:

Bonding crystals are available in the summoning chamber of your neighborhood Sorcerer?s Guild.

Rune Books and chalk may be purchased from the nearest alchemist.

Shari
03-05-2006, 09:54 PM
Well this sounds cool. Because I have yet to roll up a sorcerer (mostly because I loathe their guild reps) I'm curious...how far can you travel with this spell?

Praefection
03-05-2006, 09:58 PM
From what I get out of it you can eventually travel from town to town if you've got the right set of runes for the particular location.

Kainen
03-06-2006, 01:15 AM
I went from Briarstone Court in Illistim to the Small Park in the Landing and back. Also from the Park to the South Dock where the Ferry is in the Landing. I failed once, but it was a small failure.

Asha
03-06-2006, 05:33 AM
I think expensive chalks are complete bullshit.
But then again, I'm one of those who want total power with absolutely nothing in way of payment.
Thanks for the heads up Linsha.

Asha
03-06-2006, 05:55 AM
Oh and incase any of you non sorcs were thinking how lucky we sorcerers are. .

You ask about the price of some stubby translucent chalk.
You try to engage a wizened alchemist in some pleasantries, but he barely even glances up at you as he says, "Hmm, not sure why I would even bother selling that to you at any price, but it's 71875 silvers."

Warriorbird
03-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Tiny violins.

Fallen
03-06-2006, 07:53 AM
I will have to play with this spell for a bit...once I get some Fing silver.

Asha
03-06-2006, 08:18 AM
It's amazing.
Just praying it's SENSEable in the Birthing Sands of the Rift. That will make it utterly unbelievable! Heh.

Daniel
03-06-2006, 08:42 AM
I would pay 80k just to bypass the mine carts.

Asha
03-06-2006, 09:03 AM
[Town Square, Small Park]
You notice a summoning circle.
Also here: Talismyn (sitting), Athanei (sitting), Windmethalk
Obvious paths: north, south, west
>
Talismyn makes a quick gesture while calling upon the powers of the elements...
>
Talismyn gestures.
Talismyn becomes calm and focused.
>cast circle
You gesture at a summoning circle.
Your spell activates the dormant summoning circle. Pure white flames of essence blaze around each rune and link them together in a complex circular web. As the web completes itself, the runes transform from their translucent color to brilliant sapphire blue. Lines of sapphire blue energy snake from the runes to activate the sigil at the center of the circle. The central sigil vanishes, and the web of energy twists upward to encircle you. There is a blinding flash before the world vanishes.

At last, you arrive at your destination...
[Ta'Illistim, Shimmarglin Court]
You notice a floating dais and an ironwork signpost.
Obvious paths: northeast, southwest, northwest
Cast Roundtime 3 Seconds.
>

I think I just found out what pre-cum actually is.

Amber
03-06-2006, 09:13 AM
Wicked cool. Now to get my little sorceress all grown up so she can use this... Probably never happen, but what a cool way to travel.

drigore
03-06-2006, 09:55 AM
As far as using it inter-realm, in order for other people to use the open rift, they have to be in your group or they get blasted, and you can only drag the dead into a town set rift. I suppose that's to prevent people from taking a corpse from TC into the minotaurs or somesuch. That's all I know about the spell so far. I also went from River's Rest to the Landing in one cast. Much happiness.

Asha
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
It's not possible to jump to the Rift caverns from a town. But Rift to town looks like it'll work, using expensive chalk though. :(

StrayRogue
03-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Looks like alot of the interrealm/transrealm teleportation items are gonna be nerfed in price. Cool.

I'd love to see some shots of "demons blasting you" in a failed attempt.

Asha
03-06-2006, 10:53 AM
>prep 740
You begin drawing a faint, twisting symbol while softly intoning the words for Planar Shift...
Your spell is ready.
>cast circle
A small shadowy rift begins to take form before your eyes. Suddenly, a dark cloud emerges from the rift, and begins crushing you!
... 50 points of damage!
Your left hip is pulped, severing your leg.
You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled left leg!
You are stunned for 12 rounds!

--------------

>prep 740
You begin drawing a faint, twisting symbol while softly intoning the words for Planar Shift...
Your spell is ready.
>cast circ
A small shadowy rift begins to take form before your eyes. Suddenly, a small black void floats out of the rift and stops directly over you!
... 35 points of damage!
Bones in left arm shatter violently leaving behind a bloody stump!
You are stunned for 6 rounds!
>

--------------------

A small shadowy rift begins to take form before your eyes. Suddenly, a small black void floats out of the rift and stops directly over you!
... 40 points of damage!
Right leg explodes at the hip!
You fall screaming to the ground grasping your mangled right leg!
You are stunned for 10 rounds!

I hope they do nerf the price.

Asha
03-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Oh did you mean the major demon?
I'd like to see that too. I hear they can go around stomping towns!

Fallen
03-06-2006, 11:14 AM
That is probably the result of a catastrophic failure. Think rolling a fumble on a 1-500 roll or some such.

Praefection
03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
Quick question since I wasn't able to play around much. Work and all...
Do I need the expensive chalk to go town to town?

If the answer's no, what do I need?

Praefection
03-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Scratch my previous post. It seems the expensive chalk is needed for town to town. :) Kick ass spell and one I'll actually use.

Asha
03-06-2006, 11:45 AM
http://geocities.com/gsdemonologist/740stuff.html?20066

That's pretty much everything we know so far. Helps.

Sean of the Thread
03-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Woot cool spell and silver sink.

Post Shimms lores you slacker.

Asha
03-06-2006, 12:21 PM
lol

5 necro, 50 demon.
I suppose this is where I train more in Demonology?

Czeska
03-06-2006, 12:45 PM
You glance at a shifting frosty white rift.
>
Shimmerain softly says, "Try."
>go rift
You cross into a shifting frosty white rift. Skeins of mana lash immediately into place around you, and your senses twist dizzyingly with conflicting simultaneous impressions of heat and chill, speed and motionlessness, and light and darkness, among other impossible convergences.

The transport seems to last an eternity before you are finally released.

Coolness.

Latrinsorm
03-06-2006, 12:51 PM
It would be cool if failure had an insanity effect, like you'd come out the other end and all the text would be garbled and random actions would occur. Being shifted into a wall or other sturdy object would also be a neat failure effect (to watch, anyway). The demon just sorta moseying out and punching the sorc in the face strikes me as a little bland.

Ardwen
03-06-2006, 06:04 PM
80k for chalk 250m for a trtanspport item that works crossrealms, I think 80k is the bargain there even if its unreliable.

Ardwen

Kuyuk
03-06-2006, 06:33 PM
looks cool

Seran
03-06-2006, 09:30 PM
I bet our holders of the major teleporters are about screaming there heads off now that their market has been destroyed.

Kitsun
03-06-2006, 09:42 PM
I bet our holders of the major teleporters are about screaming there heads off now that their market has been destroyed.

There's so few of them and they so rarely change hands that I wouldn't exactly call it a market.

Kainen
03-07-2006, 03:27 PM

Too damned bad.

Necromancer
03-12-2006, 11:45 AM
To correct the assumption about the greater demon..

The demon does indeed come out, and it will very likely smack around the hapless sorcerer. But it doesn't go away.

So we can only pray that the first major failure is in the Landing small park or Ta'Vaalor's Victory Court.