PDA

View Full Version : Elusive Alteration Materials

Ebondale
02-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Ever need to get a precious metal or wood for an alteration and have no idea where to look? I know I've had that problem. Maybe someone can help me out here.

Does anyone know where to acquire an amount of razern and rolaren?

Feel free to steal the thread to ask where to find stuff you might need, too! :)

DCSL
02-26-2006, 01:15 PM
Rolaren's everywhere. What's really hard is finding it in the form you want. If form doesn't matter, then it's all over. Try "rolaren" on playershops.com. Razern.. harder to find.

Kierke
02-26-2006, 01:20 PM
A question along related lines...

I'd heard a rumor that the veil iron gongs were no longer usable for providing veil iron for alterations. Can anyone confirm this with an actual experience? I know someone who used the gongs in the past to get a veil iron item, so there's precedent for, what's the precedent against?

Sadryne

DCSL
02-26-2006, 01:23 PM
I can confirm it. It's a semi-recent development. Those gongs should never have been released. The GMs have decided it's "fake" veil iron and most will not take it anymore.

Stunseed
02-26-2006, 01:25 PM
< Does anyone know where to acquire an amount of razern and rolaren? >

I've got 10 pounds worth of razern you can have, if you can be patient for it.

Kitsun
02-26-2006, 01:33 PM
I can confirm it. It's a semi-recent development. Those gongs should never have been released. The GMs have decided it's "fake" veil iron and most will not take it anymore.

Lirion allowed 30lbs of veil iron gongs to count toward getting a brutality ticket in the contest.

If I try looking for rare materials, I go for playershop first. Razern might be easiest to get in slab form and chop it up into smaller pieces.

Ebondale
02-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Playershops isn't going to be an option for me because I'm on Plat now, though I appreciate the suggestions and your generous offer Stunseed.

To the people that actually have X number of pounds of certain precious metals, how did you actually get these metals? Did you purchase them from a merchant or is there some kind of mining system that I'm totally unaware of (which may be the case because I still have a very early-mid GS3 mindset).

Kitsun
02-26-2006, 01:39 PM
Ah, then you're just fook'd. I'd keep an eye out for merchant shops that let rare materials slip by.

Most of the razern released in slab form have been raffled off at events like Revel of Anfelt and EG.

They've had tiny amounts of razern in shield etchings at one event or another that I was able to use.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
02-26-2006, 01:41 PM
I've got like 10 razern warswords from the last Anfelt I think

Ebondale
02-26-2006, 01:42 PM
But I could just use like any old rolaren sword or something like that if I wanted to have a paingrip altered so that its blades were made of rolaren?

(Paingrips are favored among Dhe'nar and rolaren is the most prevalent metal found in Sharath.)

DCSL
02-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Most merchants are wary of changing the metal on weapons, because the metal is what determines breakage. You might get lucky, but I doubt it. The most merchants will do is change the metal on an inconsequential part of the weapon, like the hilt or grip.

Ebondale
02-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Thats a good tip, DCSL. Maybe I could just have veins of rolaren running through the blades so that it has the "this is Khanshael-forged" look to it while not changing the properties of the weapon itself.

Kierke
02-26-2006, 02:05 PM
When speaking to Jharra about completely unrelated matters a few minutes ago, I brought up the "gong question." (Log slightly altered to remove system marks and irrelevant messaging.)

Jharra says, "I hate veil iron gongs."

Jharra says, "Basically, the problem is that veil iron is supposed to be an incredibly, insanely rare material...."

You nod.

Jharra says, "...and it was accidentally released en masse through a QC error in the form of those gongs."

Jharra says, "So...."

Jharra says, "It's merchant by merchant."

Jharra says, "On the one hand, look, there it is, it's definitely veil iron."

You say, "That's all I needed to know, thank you."

Jharra says, "On the other, it's veil iron that isn't supposed to exist, and we all know it."

You say, "On the other, we know it's an error."

You grin.

Jharra says, "So, if one merchant rejects it, it doesn't hurt to ask another, but please don't press a merchant who does reject it."

You say, "Of course."