PDA

View Full Version : Does Europe's cushy maternity leave enviroment help women advance?

Drew
02-20-2006, 04:05 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11435567/site/newsweek/

Once again, less regulation leads to more success.

Czeska
02-20-2006, 04:50 AM
I'll take the cushy system, thankyouverymuch.

~Miriam,
pregnant, unmotivated, and left Europe at 1 year old

Warriorbird
02-20-2006, 07:24 AM
I don't think the correlation really is a valid one. There's regulations in place in the US that actually have more bearing towards women acquiring actual positions. Doesn't mean women shouldn't be treated better. For the most part, they're having our kids after all.

Miss X
02-20-2006, 11:33 AM
From the article:

"Europe is killing its women with kindness—enshrined, ironically, in cushy welfare policies that were created to help them. By offering women extremely long work leaves after children, then pushing them to take the full complement via tax policies that discourage a second income, coupled with subsidies that serve to keep them at home, Europe is essentially squandering its female."

From a personal point of view, my career will mean nothing compared to bringing up my children, when I have them. So what if I don't get to the very top rung of the ladder because of a "cushy" policy. My children will have a good mother which is far more valuable.

"Instead, women tend to get shuffled into part-time work, which is less respected and poorly paid."

I certainly wouldn't be "shuffled" into part time work, although I'm lucky that my profession will allow me to work part time or school hours without any problems.

"excessively long leaves can derail women's career prospects, often permanently. Employers are understandably reluctant to hire and promote someone who may absent herself for years on end, often more than once. "Being a potential mother becomes an obstacle for women in certain types of jobs, and that is the case all over Europe,"

Hugely exaggerated but I'll humour the comment.. Big fucking deal. As long as my children get the best end of the deal I'll be happy. Safe and happy home life for kids > career, no question about it.

Hulkein
02-20-2006, 12:33 PM
I don't think the correlation really is a valid one. There's regulations in place in the US that actually have more bearing towards women acquiring actual positions. Doesn't mean women shouldn't be treated better. For the most part, they're having out kids after all.

Call MSNBC and let them know.

xtc
02-20-2006, 12:51 PM
We have one year for maternity leave in Canada. It is an interesting question, you can't refuse to hire someone based on their sex but which Manager wants to be without an employee for a year? I imagine it helps the employment numbers as most Managers hire contract workers to cover maternity leaves.

radamanthys
02-20-2006, 01:32 PM
It'd be interesting to read the law as it stands.

What happens if you miscarriage, or terminate the pregnancy? Is the paid leave contingent on conception, or a future promise of birth? What, then, if the baby is stillborn? You might need a few months to recover from that, I suppose.

I think it's the employer's choice how much time to give, regardless. You work, then they pay you. Anything different is just a favor.

Warriorbird
02-20-2006, 03:48 PM
I emailed MSNBC. Curiously enough, I got a form letter.

:P