PDA

View Full Version : New anti-chav alarm!

Asha
02-16-2006, 02:07 PM
This is so nuts I can't believe it's true.
------------------------------------------
Alarm to send street yobs fleeing
Teenage trouble-makers are set to be run out of town by an alarm which sends out a sound only they can hear.
Middlesbrough Council is drawing up the plans to pilot the "mosquito" units outside shops where teenagers congregate and cause trouble.

It works by sending out an ear-piercing noise which is only clearly audible to people aged under 20.

The product has been developed by Compound Security Systems in Wales and has been used successfully there.

The box, placed on the outside wall of a shop, emits an 80-decibel pulsing frequency between certain hours.

The device is currently being used in a Spar shop in Barry, Wales.

The shop's manager Robert Gough said: "Within days of having it fitted, the crowds of youths we were used to getting disappeared and they haven't been back since.

Source-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4594094.stm

CrystalTears
02-16-2006, 02:16 PM
What? People under the age of 20 have dog hearing? Who'd a thunk it.

Aaysia
02-16-2006, 02:18 PM
it doesn't sound real, that's insane

Asha
02-16-2006, 02:20 PM
I thought it was a joke.
If it's really genuine, I'mma get ten to wear on my belt.

Latrinsorm
02-16-2006, 04:15 PM
80 decibels isn't ear-piercing at all. Shenanigans!

Soulpieced
02-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Mythbusters alert!!

Latrinsorm
02-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Also, decibels are a measure of energy/volume (basically) so there has to be a range attached to it to be meaningful at all. Double shenanigans!!

Drew
02-16-2006, 04:41 PM
I have seen reports about this a bunch of times Latrinsorm. 80 decibals is a decent level to compromise normal conversation, especially if it were an annoying sound.

As far as the age limit, I believe it. When I was 14 I could hear up to 24Khz, I'd hate to think of what a decade of concerts and loud cars have done to that.

Jazuela
02-16-2006, 06:55 PM
It isn't just the decible level, it's also the pitch. I saw this on Good Morning America a couple of months ago. It's legit, and they demonstrated that it works, live on the show. They were all outside the studio and a bunch of people were standing around with their "Hi Mom!" posters and stuff like they usually do. They sent the signal down onto the street and almost all of the kids in the crowd had some kind of reaction. Some covered their ears, some just made a face, one kid started crying (though it was a toddler so it could've just been coincidence - since toddlers seem to do that for no apparent reason, heh). Most of the adults didn't react at all, and were unable to hear it or heard it so slightly it didn't bother them in the least.

xtc
02-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Where can I get one of those, that is a great invention.