PDA

View Full Version : Aelotoi: The Broken Common Debacle

Latrinsorm
01-25-2006, 12:34 AM
Aelotoi first appeared over two years ago.
Aelotoi (still) can't speak fluent Common.
Aelotoi (according to documentation) were able to learn Elven in a week.

Posts have been made to this extent on the official play.net boards. GMs have responded noting that the situation will be fixed at some distant point in time with a toggle of some kind for those who wish their Aelotoi to speak in fluent Common. There has been little public response to the counterpoints that a) there's no time like the present and b) it should never have gotten this far to begin with.

This situation is an affront to roleplay and roleplayers.

Therefore, I ask that anyone interested in promoting roleplay in GemStone send an email to feedback@simutronics.com requesting this issue be resolved immediately.

Anyone who doesn't really care about roleplaying but has a couple minutes to burn is also welcome to email feedback@simutronics.com with the same message.

Thank you for your time.

Fallen
01-25-2006, 02:08 AM
I will likely help with this tomorrow. If anything, it will help get the ball rolling on mechanics changes geared towards languages. There should be whole artisan guilds devoted to learning new tongues.

Best of luck, L.

Amaron
01-25-2006, 09:35 AM
I agree...
when I rolled my aelotoi even though it said broken I spoke phonetically.

Hehloo... it was fun and eachweek I picked a word to speak correctly.

But now its getting old. I have written and will write again... we need to speak common at least not broken.. let us decide how well we will speak it...
I wish the broken tone wasn't there... and I could have gradually grown out of it myself..

J

Kembal
01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Ozias has worked in a toggle on that along with the pending tone update.

That's my understanding from reading the officials. I may be wrong.

Amaron
01-26-2006, 02:01 PM
I soo hope he has cause my lass speaks fairly well now.. sometimes she messes up but still she can speak well enough.

J

Latrinsorm
01-26-2006, 04:51 PM
The alleged update has been pending since August. Enough is enough, and it's time for a change.

Satira
01-26-2006, 11:35 PM
This has been a huge issue for me since I play a few Aelotoi characters.

It has to go away. It's annoying to Aelotoi and non-Aelotoi alike, it doesn't match the storyline, and it's putting a negative (unintelligent) slant on the race.

We've brought it up over and over again on the officials. Originally they did say they were going to fix it. Recently, however after ignoring us for a while, someone finally posted saying it wasn't really on anyone's list to do, but it was still on the radar.

I'm not satisfied with that answer.

My next step is to start talking to other Aelotoi individually and getting people to write feedback asking them to get this done. That's the only thing I can come up with, since the boards don't seem to be working.

Skeeter
01-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I think it's more of an affront that they put the aelotoi race in, in the first place.

What's next? cat people?

Latrinsorm
01-27-2006, 06:03 PM
You're welcome to your opinion, of course...

...but my avatar isn't wearing a citrus fruit. So I'm right. :)

p.s: jk :D

Aaysia
01-27-2006, 06:59 PM
ooooooh cat people!

Ontopic : i RP my aelotoi to be very young and she knows the basics of common, sometimes she'll make a mistake and they'll correct her. I also love typos when playing her lol. But it would be nice to have a toggle for broken common..

Fallen
01-27-2006, 08:19 PM
I think it's more of an affront that they put the aelotoi race in, in the first place.

What's next? cat people? >>

They have them in Dragonrealms

Satira
01-27-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't mind different forms of RP. If you want to play a slow Aelotoi, that's your choice. But being that when they arrived they learned basic Elven in a single day, the STORYLINE should have progressed by now.

There should be a toggle available. Two year is a year and a half too long, in my opinion.

HarmNone
01-27-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't think the Aelotoi are any more outrageous than elves or Krolvin. This is, after all, a magical land with magical creatures, some of which are sentient, and some of which are available for characterization by players. If you're going "realism", you'd have to exclude elves, as well.

Artha
01-27-2006, 09:02 PM
I don't think the Aelotoi are any more outrageous than elves or Krolvin. This is, after all, a magical land with magical creatures, some of which are sentient, and some of which are available for characterization by players. If you're going "realism", you'd have to exclude elves, as well.
Not to mention the entire magic system, a serious rehaul of the combat system, adding mechanics for the disease and sickness prevalent in a low-tech area and a myriad other changes.

Latrinsorm
01-27-2006, 09:03 PM
Except elves are really real, RIGHT HARMNONE?? :(

HarmNone
01-27-2006, 09:05 PM
Sure they are, Latrin! So are Leprechauns! There are all manner of folk that the unbelievers think don't exist. We, of course, know they do!

Aaysia
01-28-2006, 04:35 AM
I don't mind different forms of RP. If you want to play a slow Aelotoi, that's your choice. But being that when they arrived they learned basic Elven in a single day, the STORYLINE should have progressed by now.

There should be a toggle available. Two year is a year and a half too long, in my opinion.

Oh very true, I don't intend to have her trip up on common forever. I barely play her though so her own character development is slow in itself - which is probably why I haven't minded too much yet.