PDA

View Full Version : Customer support is a pain

Trinitis
01-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Try working for Amazon.com customer service the last three days before christmas. Then tell me about rough times at work.

You have any idea how many times I had parents force me to explain to their crying child why the presents would not be to their house on time? Ugh.

Sean of the Thread
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Try working for Amazon.com customer service the last three days before christmas. Then tell me about rough times at work.

You have any idea how many times I had parents force me to explain to their crying child why the presents would not be to their house on time? Ugh.

On that note only 2 out of 4 items Amazon GUARANTEED delivered by 12/23/24 made it on time. One never came and they refused to cancel it and insisted that I do a return when it finally came..which was quickly "fixed" by having my CC company pwn them.

Trinitis
01-24-2006, 07:18 PM
On that note only 2 out of 4 items Amazon GUARANTEED delivered by 12/23/24 made it on time. One I never came and the refused to cancel it and insisted that I do return when it finally came..which was quickly "fixed" by having my CC company pwn them.
That is standard Amazon proceedure. Once an item has entered shipment, we have no way of stopping it from getting to you. So if you want the order canceled, you just refuse the shipment and get a full refund.

Edit to add : Amazon don't guaranteed delivery days. This is why they are labeled estimated dates on your order.

Sean of the Thread
01-24-2006, 07:21 PM
That is standard Amazon proceedure. Once an item has entered shipment, we have no way of stopping it from getting to you. So if you want the order canceled, you just refuse the shipment and get a full refund.

Edit to add : Amazon don't guaranteed delivery days. This is why they are labeled estimated dates on your order.

Uhm.. I'm pretty sure they had promised delivery dates for Christmas as part of their shit. Actually everyday they made it a huge point to advertise it.

Numbers
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM

They do for certain items.

Harry Potter, for instance. The last book I ordered, which they guaranteed to be shipped to my front door on the Saturday it was released. Mine didn't show up until Monday, I called, they tried to weasel out of it, but finally ended up giving me an Amazon credit.

I imagine they guarantee similar items at certain times. I'd also imagine that they profered a lot of those guarantees during the holidays.

Trinitis
01-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Uhm.. I'm pretty sure they had promised delivery dates for Christmas as part of their shit. Actually everyday they made it a huge point to advertise it.
Yes, if you read the information completely. We did *everything* in our power to get peoples gifts by christmas. I spent 3 days upgradeing peoples orders to over night delivery free of charge to try to get those items to those people. These are the same people that ordered 4 days before christmas, wanted the free super saver shipping (7-10 days to ship) and expected it by christmas.

Our ads stated you would have your items by christmas, if you ordered by X date, using Y shipping speed. Most people never read past christmas.

Trinitis
01-24-2006, 07:30 PM
They do for certain items.

Harry Potter, for instance. The last book I ordered, which they guaranteed to be shipped to my front door on the Saturday it was released. Mine didn't show up until Monday, I called, they tried to weasel out of it, but finally ended up giving me an Amazon credit.

I imagine they guarantee similar items at certain times. I'd also imagine that they profered a lot of those guarantees during the holidays.
As I was not working for Amazon at the date of the last potter release, I cannot say for sure. As of the time I've been working for the company, I've never seen a guaranteed delivery date. I've seen a couple guaranteed ship dates, but never a delivery, as we have no control on how fast or slow UPS/USPS/DHL are moving the packages.

CrystalTears
01-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I've been ordering stuff off Amazon for a while now, and you really need to read what they say when they mention delivery dates and shipping.

The only time I've had something sent late was the last Harry Potter book. However they had a big disclaimer about it when you ordered it that if for whatever reason you didn't get it on that day that you should call to get compensated, but to at least wait til 6pm or something before calling to give them a chance to deliver. Mine didn't show. I was devastated. I called and told them and they credited my account the amount of the book. w00t, go me! Harry Potter book for under $10! :D

You really do need to pay attention to the delivery and such though. Once they set it and give you an estimate, if you think it won't make it or it's cutting it close, change the shipping. I would be too afraid to leave something with a 12/23 shipping date. Ugh.

Sean of the Thread
01-25-2006, 03:17 PM
Oh I read it clearly and it said exactly what you stated. They still let me down. That being said I was very very happy with amazon and will without a doubt use it again and again. In fact ordering Valentines gifts today via Amazon.

Warriorbird
01-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I've never had any problems with Amazon. The only online purchases that I've had that have been bad have been on Ebay.

Skeeter
01-27-2006, 05:48 PM
apparently there's an amazon hub relatively close to my area. I order stuff on supersaver and routinely get it either the next day or the day after. yay next day air for free