PDA

View Full Version : Blackberry users beware

Gan
01-24-2006, 09:43 AM
NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - BlackBerry maker Research in Motion was dealt a setback Monday after the Supreme Court turned down a request to review a major patent infringement ruling against it.

The move takes away yet another barrier between BlackBerry users and service interruptions. There are more than 4 million users of the BlackBerry e-mail service.
Research In Motion (RIM) had petitioned the Supreme Court to review a federal appeals court ruling that could lead to a shutdown of most U.S. BlackBerry sales and service. The High Court's decision puts NTP's damages award and request for a permanent injunction back in front of the district court, said Jonathan Caplan, a partner in the intellectual property department at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel. The legal issue confronting RIM goes back five years.

In 2001, NTP, a patent holding company, filed a suit against RIM claiming that the BlackBerry infringed on its patents.

A jury found in favor of NTP and awarded the company damages. Last year, RIM and NTP reached a tentative $450 million settlement, but the deal fell apart.

More of the story:
http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/23/technology/rim/index.htm?cnn=yes

Jorddyn
01-24-2006, 10:11 AM
And, those of us receiving 100 emails a day from a boss who should be gone rejoice!

Jorddyn

Bastard
01-24-2006, 10:51 AM
The US patent system is completely FUBAR. The fact that companies like NTP even exist is evidence enough. They don't create a product. They don't offer a service. Patent reform is long overdue.

Gan
01-24-2006, 10:55 AM
I actually enjoy getting emails on my phone; that way I can have my 'office' anywhere and respond to anything critical when it happens, not when I finally get back to my computer.

I was initially regretting not going with a blackberry, I bought a Palm Treo instead. However, now I'm kind of glad I have the Treo, so I can avoid any of this patent/court crap in the future.

Wezas
01-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Every time I hear blackberry I think of the local DJ's here in DC (they're syndicated nationally though).

Don & Mike.

They have a radio bit where Don checks his "blackberry". Which is Mike talking like DC's former Mayor Marion Barry (hence the Black Barry), and the Mayor tells him all his messages, etc.

Audio Clip:

http://1067freefm.com/episode_download.php?contentType=36&contentId=2898

(to get by all the intro crap, skip ahead to 1:30 into it)

Augie
01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
Sonofa...I JUST ordered a Blackberry yesterday :flail:

xtc
01-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Augie don't despair a blackout is very unlikely

from the CNN article:

"But analysts said the Supreme Court decision wasn't surprising and that a blackout of the BlackBerry service is unlikely, even if an injunction is issued. That's partly because RIM has been preparing a contingency plan.

"Not much has changed from yesterday to today," Rob Sanderson, an analyst with American Technology Research, said. He expects RIM to either settle with NTP or implement design changes to its system if faced with an injunction.

RIM has not publicized details of its contingency software workaround designs but it said in a statement that "it intends to implement (them) if necessary to maintain the operation of BlackBerry services in the United States."

A settlement is another outcome more likely than shutdown of the service, according to Ben Bollin, an analyst with FTN Midwest Research.

NTP, a holding company that doesn't make its own products, would benefit more from a settlement than from a BlackBerry shutdown, analysts agreed."

Tromp
01-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Sonofa...I JUST ordered a Blackberry yesterday :flail:

Ditto on that, my company just ordered me one last week.

Augie
01-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah I replied before I read the entire article. Was just thinking it was one of those damn Murphy's law things feh.

Czeska
01-24-2006, 12:18 PM
I got one free and had never set up the email. No biggie now I guess.

Alfster
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Retard alert/question

WTF is blackberry?

Jorddyn
01-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Retard alert/question

WTF is blackberry?

A blackberry is a handheld email device.

Jorddyn, thinks they were created by the devil. Or Skirmisher. :)

Augie
01-24-2006, 09:12 PM
Retard alert/question

WTF is blackberry?

It's a handheld phone, email, internet type device all rolled into one. http://www.blackberry.com can show ya what they are.

Wezas
01-25-2006, 10:23 AM
Jorddyn, thinks they were created by the devil. Or Skirmisher. :)

The only difference is the hairstyle.

Marl
01-25-2006, 10:31 AM
I think Verizon is seeing the Blackberries are in trouble. They carry the Blackberry service and have completely stopped marketing them putting this in its place.
http://www.vzwshop.com/treo700w/

Skirmisher
01-25-2006, 12:17 PM
The only difference is the hairstyle.
You both are very very bad people. :(