PDA

View Full Version : Peace Corps

GSLeloo
10-20-2003, 07:26 PM
So.. we were sitting in CWA class when my teacher started talking about how her sister just got back from Cuba and had been trying to help them there, that sort of thing.

It made me think and I kind of was considering doing something like joining the peace corps and building houses and such in third world countries one summer between college. Now, I told my dad this and a friend and immediatly got a "No". What do you guys think of it? Should I try or is it really being stupid?

theotherjohn
10-20-2003, 07:28 PM
if you want to work for free why dont you work for free in your own area, I am sure there are tons of stuff

StrayRogue
10-20-2003, 07:29 PM
I'd love to do that too. I got exactly the same response from my parents when I told them I wanted to go and do paid medical testing.

GSLeloo
10-20-2003, 07:33 PM
the fact is, you help people in your community, it doesn't mean much. This is America, even the homeless are well fed. I just feel going to a starving nation and possibly saving these peoples lives, if not just making them better, is a great thing. The way I see it is this, you only have one life and even if you died in the process, you would be giving these people a better life and that would be worth it.

Artha
10-20-2003, 07:35 PM
This is America, even the homeless are well fed.

Tell that to the ones that steal Lysterine because it has alcohol in it.

Personally, I'd help out around your community, or do volunteer work at a children's hospital or something.

GSLeloo
10-20-2003, 07:41 PM
I have done volunteer work. I was in TAP (Teens Assisting People), we fed the homeless, helped old people, raised money for breast cancer research, got clothes for needy families, etc, etc... Did that for about four years but it just doesn't feel like that much.

theotherjohn
10-20-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by GSLeloo
Did that for about four years but it just doesn't feel like that much.

Dont cut yourself short.
That is outstanding!:thumbsup:

Vesi
10-20-2003, 07:48 PM
I have done volunteer work. I was in TAP (Teens Assisting People), we fed the homeless, helped old people, raised money for breast cancer research, got clothes for needy families, etc, etc... Did that for about four years but it just doesn't feel like that much.

Every little bit helps. If everyone felt like their contribution 'didn't feel like much' and then stopped helping because of that, then no one would contribute anything.

I considered the Peace Corps when I graduated from high school. Even got the literature. I ended up staying and going to school and working. I also helped out in the community. I think either cause is noble... it's just what you want to do. I think a parent would be hesitant about the Peace Corps because they would associate it with danger.

Follow your heart and your dreams. That's what I teach my daughter.

Vesi

Vesi
10-20-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by theotherjohn

Did that for about four years but it just doesn't feel like that much.

Dont cut yourself short.
That is outstanding!:thumbsup:

He's right.

Vesi

GSLeloo
10-20-2003, 07:51 PM
Oh yeah my mom already told me that if I go as like a missionary or whatever those are I'll be raped and killed.. she's so positive. But I see TAP as a little thing, something that makes a small impact but it's like pinhead sized.. while Peace Corp and going to these villages and helping is a huge thing to do and makes a huge impact.

Vesi
10-20-2003, 08:01 PM
Oh yeah my mom already told me that if I go as like a missionary or whatever those are I'll be raped and killed.. she's so positive. But I see TAP as a little thing, something that makes a small impact but it's like pinhead sized.. while Peace Corp and going to these villages and helping is a huge thing to do and makes a huge impact.

Well, us moms always want to keep our children out of 'supposed' danger. That's just natural, I think.

What you've done so far is wonderful. If you feel inside that you need to contribute on a larger or different scale, then you should. Either decision is honorable.

Vesi

Ravenstorm
10-20-2003, 08:02 PM
It made me think and I kind of was considering doing something like joining the peace corps and building houses and such in third world countries one summer between college.

Charity begins at home.

http://www.habitat.org/local/

You're also less likely to get shot.

Raven

HarmNone
10-20-2003, 08:04 PM
Having lived overseas, in developing countries, when I was growing up, I know the good the Peace Corps does. It is an amazing organization.

To go into countries where poverty is the norm is difficult to say the least. You must be very adaptable, inately healthy and strong, and aware that the things that we in America consider necessities are luxuries in many areas of the world. Telephones, washing machines, fresh milk, even clean water are not something these folks take for granted. Living conditions are frightfully deficient, by our standards.

However, if you really want to be a part of such a far-reaching effort, it is one of the more rewarding things you can do. There are equivalent things to be a part of in the States, like Habitat for Humanity (talking about building homes) or the Red Cross efforts.

If I were you, I would contact the Peace Corps and get some literature from them. Read it, formulate questions, get answers and evaluate. If you do your homework and do it well, you will be able to determine pretty well if this is the life for you.

Get your education first, though. The more skills you can bring to the organization the more good you can do! Good luck to you, and thank you from the bottom of my heart for caring as much as you do! :)

HarmNone is very impressed

*Edited for typos*

[Edited on 10-21-2003 by HarmNone]

i remember halloween
10-20-2003, 08:36 PM
there are tons of people in your own country that need help. start there.

imported_Kranar
10-20-2003, 08:46 PM
<< Did that for about four years but it just doesn't feel like that much. >>

GSLeloo that is incredible and more than most people can say. The fact that you consider this to be an actual ambition demonstrates a very rare level of galant.

If after four years of helping at home you wish to take the next step and help people internationally, you should go for it. It is a very brave endeavour to look beyond borders and help out not just as a citizen of your nation... but as a citizen of the world.

Skirmisher
10-20-2003, 09:18 PM
As one who goes regularly on medical missions to south america let me repeat what some have said.

Yes, it is a fantastic experience to help people who truly have nothing. Its exhausting and time consuming and not inexpensive. I have seen a mother who walked two days to get to the nearest first aid station with her daughter who had second and third degree burns from a fire and when told she could not be helped walked another 36 hours to the nearest town with even the closest thing to a hospital. We tried to help her as much as possible, but she did pass away. These things do not happen here in the US or in most countries.

There are however definite dangers in a third world country that also are not like that you might face here.

Kidnapping and or assault or rape is not out of the question by any means in some locations, yet also quite unlikely if you take proper precautions and do your research.

There are as some have said some extremely poor areas in the US that also could do as a start though.

Please do some resaerch and talk with some of the groups mentioned and if not already said, if you belong to an organized religion, many do have standing missions both in the US and in the world around us that you may be able to help with somehow.

Good luck, but please do be cautious because if you do leave the US, the rules you are used to will no longer apply.

Camri
10-20-2003, 09:39 PM
Leloo... do we have to cover this again?

You're the one that has to live your life. You're smart, and you know what's important to you. Do what feels right to you, and stop asking permission.

Your parents said you shouldn't write too, remember? But you obviously have talent that you could do something with. If you have what it takes to go to another part of the world to help people, and that's what makes you feel good, then do it.

Nobody can know what's right for you, but you. Not your parents, not anyone on these boards, not me. Only you.

Just make sure you put a lot of thought into it. Those places are a long ways from home, and nobody can fog you back from there. :P

GSLeloo
10-20-2003, 09:40 PM
I don't belong to any organized religion. I just want to do something that's great and pure and not something that I do just so that I can get something in return.

Vesi
10-20-2003, 09:58 PM
I don't belong to any organized religion. I just want to do something that's great and pure and not something that I do just so that I can get something in return.

And that is something only you can decide. What will fill up your need to help other people? No one can make that choice for you. It's a hard one, believe me. My daughter once told me she thought she was too sensitive for this world. I told her how proud that made me. I would be concerned for her if she wasn't sensitive to the needs and wants of others.

You've started off on the right foot with your volunteering. Your parents can give their opinions. That is what we are doing here. Ultimately, it's in your hands.

Also, religion is not a part of our lives. If our minds and our hearts tell us that it's right... that's what we go with.

Vesi

Betheny
10-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Jessica Lynch.

Nuff said.

I wouldn't go into Ethiopia or Iraq without a BFG9000. With an unlimited ammo code.

StrayRogue
10-20-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Maimara
I wouldn't go into Ethiopia or Iraq without a BFG9000. With an unlimited ammo code.

LOL, I want your babies Maim.

StrayRogue
10-20-2003, 10:05 PM
Just to clarify, I don't want actual children. But I want to do all the appropriate activities in producing a said child with you.

Betheny
10-20-2003, 10:09 PM
That's hot.

On an unrelated topic, some drunk college kid proposed to me at work the other night. I think he had the same idea.

Will YOU give me diamonds?!

StrayRogue
10-20-2003, 10:11 PM
I suppose if I give you diamonds, you'll pretty much have too (Family Guy fans will get that). I suppose. I thought my strong male arms, flowing dark hair and soothing British accent would all be thats needed to bed you?

Betheny
10-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Nah. I prefer guys t hat cater to me, not to me and half the female population of the world.

StrayRogue
10-20-2003, 10:15 PM
! I am not a slut !

GSLeloo
10-20-2003, 10:18 PM
First of all, Jessica Lynch was never raped or hurt. She was taken captive yes but... look at the entire situation. She was there as a soldier, didn't matter what kind because they didn't know. A soldier that was invading their country.

I am aware that it's dangerous to go to countries such as those but I want to go not as a soldier, as a fellow member of the human race trying to give people some help in some way. Yeah, some people will hate it, others might actually want the help.

longshot
10-21-2003, 04:47 AM
Dangers of living in the third world aside, the Peace Corp is a two year commitment last I heard.

If you graduate college, two years outside of your area of study will be difficult. If you plan on attending graduate school, I can't think of an admissions office that wouldn't welcome such an experience. However, grad school is not for everyone.

Two years is a long time without electricity.

HarmNone
10-21-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by StrayRogue
I suppose if I give you diamonds, you'll pretty much have too (Family Guy fans will get that). I suppose. I thought my strong male arms, flowing dark hair and soothing British accent would all be thats needed to bed you?

Heh. It has always amused me what men consider to be gifts that will entice a woman to sleep with them. Arms, hair and a soothing voice I can get from a corpse and a DVD player. Diamonds, on the other hand, are more difficult to come by in qualities and quantities of interest. :D

HarmNone feels that woman is worth a challenge or two

Skirmisher
10-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Leloo, I am not trying to tell you not to go. Just to be sure that if you do decide to go you are fully aware of the ramification of your decision.

In many third world countries, the response you get from the native population is quite varied. Of course there are those that simply accept the help you give and are quite grateful. There are other reactions as well though. One we have seen often is people wanting "a piece of the action" as it were. When poverty is the norm, there is simply not the ability to have people donate money and volunteer time as easily as we do here. So this leaves many quite wary of what we are doing there and sure that we are in fact making money. They do not realize I am giving up my whole vacation time for the year, paying for my own flight and transport in country as well as lodging. It is simply a foriegn concept to many.

Again, I am very glad to hear that you are interested in such a vocation, I just want you to make sure you have all the facts before making up your mind is all.

Good luck with it all and please do keep us informed.

Halfsilver
10-22-2003, 11:34 AM
I know I promised not to post, but I just had to comment here.

I participated in a program called AmeriCorps for 2 years. Had a GREAT time.
During that two years, I was liscensed as a wildfire fighter, travelled around the country...to maryland, florida/everglades, colorado, new mexico...built houses...participated in disaster relief.
AmeriCorps is kind of like a Domestic Peace Corps. They stay within the country. There are different branches of it, as well. Some, more focused on community work (food drives, clothes drives, etc) and some more on conservation. I joined the branch that is more focused on conservation work.

What happens, is you sign a one year contract. You then travel around the country and work on different projects. As I said, I had a particularly good time fighting wildfires out west, but it wasn't limited to that, we provided disaster relief to flood victims in several states, (distributed fresh water, sand bagged, cleaned up flooded homes) we removed invasive exotic plants from southern florida parks that were threatening the native plant species. I could go on for ever. Anyways, after your first year...you are allowed to sign for one more year. After two years, however...you can't sign on again as a team member. You can be hired by the company as a team leader, though. They provide a small Living allowance bi-weekly and a wonderful 5000 dollar scholarship to a school of your choice at the end of a successfully completed year. Food, housing, and transportation is provided whereever you go, so despite the meager pay, it's a pretty decent deal and you usually have a good bit of cash to spend.

I had a blast during my two years in AC, got to see alot of interesting stuff and made some really good friends. It does require backbreaking work and long hours, so you can't go in expecting an easy ride. It's well worth the effort though.

-grays/d

edited to add: some branches of AC provide tutors to different schools, k-12, as their main focus.

[Edited on 10-22-2003 by Halfsilver]

AnticorRifling
10-22-2003, 11:40 AM
Join the only corps that matters. The Marine Corps.

Camri
10-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Halfsilver
I know I promised not to post, but I just had to comment here.

I participated in a program called AmeriCorps for 2 years. Had a GREAT time.
During that two years, I was liscensed as a wildfire fighter, travelled around the country...to maryland, florida/everglades, colorado, new mexico...built houses...participated in disaster relief.
AmeriCorps is kind of like a Domestic Peace Corps. They stay within the country. There are different branches of it, as well. Some, more focused on community work (food drives, clothes drives, etc) and some more on conservation. I joined the branch that is more focused on conservation work.

What happens, is you sign a one year contract. You then travel around the country and work on different projects. As I said, I had a particularly good time fighting wildfires out west, but it wasn't limited to that, we provided disaster relief to flood victims in several states, (distributed fresh water, sand bagged, cleaned up flooded homes) we removed invasive exotic plants from southern florida parks that were threatening the native plant species. I could go on for ever. Anyways, after your first year...you are allowed to sign for one more year. After two years, however...you can't sign on again as a team member. You can be hired by the company as a team leader, though. They provide a small Living allowance bi-weekly and a wonderful 5000 dollar scholarship to a school of your choice at the end of a successfully completed year. Food, housing, and transportation is provided whereever you go, so despite the meager pay, it's a pretty decent deal and you usually have a good bit of cash to spend.

I had a blast during my two years in AC, got to see alot of interesting stuff and made some really good friends. It does require backbreaking work and long hours, so you can't go in expecting an easy ride. It's well worth the effort though.

-grays/d

edited to add: some branches of AC provide tutors to different schools, k-12, as their main focus.

[Edited on 10-22-2003 by Halfsilver]

That's really cool Grays. I've never heard of AmeriCorps.

That might be a good place to start for someone that's considering that kind of step. A person could get a feel for what it's like to do the work, without traveling to another country and getting shot at. If they like it here, after all the long hours and such, then the next step might be Peace Corps.

Something to think about, Leloo...

Faellyn
10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
I thought about it when I was a teen, and now I wish I had...