PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer PRO...

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Cross-posted from here (http://www.play.net/forums/messages.asp?forum=102&category=21&topic=2&message =1227).

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Well without looking too deeply into the vast list of existing, although potentially inactive, PROs...here is my idea:

This could be one of the BEST PROs in the game with the upcoming 740 spell!

A Sorcerer Player Run Organization...

-------------------------------------

Purpose:

1. Community for sorcerers - discuss sorcerey, have illusion nights scheduled, hunts etc.

2. Security for sorcerers - mainly against other groups and players. The idea being that, if you are in this PRO you will be respected, an possibly even feared. Those who "mess" with you will be dealt with.

3. Town defense and anti-thief support - this was one of my favorite objectives. I've already had my pockets cleaned and my lootbags emptied in the landing and I know there are several existing gangs of roving theives. When 740 is released we will be able to respond to reports of theivery and deal our own "brand" of justice.

-------------------------------------

There are others, and I'd be interested to see what you Sorcerers out there think. I do web work IRL as a profession and have quite a bit of experience so I'm more than willing to create a very cool and functional website for this PRO. Ideally I would like to have information on the PRO as well as general sorcerey guides and information.

Also, I'm interested in brainstorming ideas for names, as I think this is very important. I would like it to be something clever and fitting, as I would hope this name would become well known, and respected. I havent decided yet completely how we would like to build our image, but this is something we can work out later.

If you are interested, have additional ideas, or anything to say really feel free to send me an email at malcolmlo ATTT gmail dottt com. or IM me at forumsquared.

That is all.

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by nocturnix]

DCSL
01-09-2006, 11:33 AM
I think I've heard of this one before. Isn't it called the Sorcerer Guild?

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Thats not a PRO, thats a game system.

Axhinde
01-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by nocturnix
2. Security for sorcerers - mainly against other groups and players. The idea being that, if you are in this PRO you will be respected, an possibly even feared. Those who "mess" with you will be dealt with.

Oh, so you mean like getting others involved into personally created shitstorms? I'm sure the sorcerer reputation will skyrocket with this one.

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 12:26 PM
Just ideas, obviously nothing is set in stone yet as to rules.

Numbers
01-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I made a PRO like this a year or two back.

It's obviously inactive, as I no longer play the game. Based in the Landing, called Sorcerous Arcanum, or something like that.

It's got a bunch of members, but I don't know how active or inactive they are. If you want to take over leadership of it, I can hand it over. Or you can make your own.

I should warn you, though, that I was met with a surprising lack of enthusiasm from the Sorcerous crowd when I first created it, both in game and on the official boards. Seems most Sorcerers like to do their own thing, and think they're all the cock of the walk.

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Aha! Thankyou for the info #

This may be a valid option, and in either case its good to know there is someone I can talk to about the PRO system, as I currently know nothing.

Fallen
01-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Seems most Sorcerers like to do their own thing, and think they're all the cock of the walk. >>

Bingo. We're nearly all complete assholes; even to each other.

SpunGirl
01-09-2006, 03:01 PM
The way this was described on the main BBS, as kind of a vigilante group... well, that doesn't appeal to a group of people who seem to be very loner-ish.

-K

Kainen
01-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Fallen
Seems most Sorcerers like to do their own thing, and think they're all the cock of the walk. >>

My sorcerer gets along well with other sorcerers.. must just be you :)

Fallen
01-09-2006, 03:08 PM
My sorcerer gets along well with other sorcerers.. must just be you >>

Meh. Well, no one ever accused you of being perfect, Kainen.

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by SpunGirl
The way this was described on the main BBS, as kind of a vigilante group... well, that doesn\'t appeal to a group of people who seem to be very loner-ish.

-K

Thats fine, those who want to join can, and those who dont their loss.

This wouldnt be some flower happy fun PRO. We\'re not gonna have balls and galas. The PRO itself would reflect the group\'s personality in the things we do.

Meeting/Scheduling guild partner work would be a major benefit. This is not un-sorcerer like.

Sharing information would be a major benefit. I\'m not sure how PROs work but we may have a way to share in-game, but i\'m not sure. Out of game we could have a good resource website. I know others exist, but the combination of information and members joined would <ideally> create a community of SOME KIND.

Take rogues for example. They are anti-social in some respects as well. However they have several \"underground\" non-official, and most likely some official as well, groups/bands/gangs. You mess with the wrong rogue, and you\'re in trouble...you can expect to get your throat slit, something swung or flung at you from the shadows, or your pockets emptied.

I dont feel we have this with sorcerer\'s. Sure we\'re mostly loners now, but the whole point of the PRO is to change that, even if only SLIGHTLY.

The whole point is to have fun. I think this would be fun and open up new areas of roleplaying and gameplay.

No one would be forcing you to join.

Hell even if we had 5 members i\'d be happy.

Doesnt anyone else see the implications of this in conjunction with the eventual implementation of 740?

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by HarmNone]

Necromancer
01-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Actually, I think a sorcerous militia would be a nice touch. Particularly with the ability to read the runes off of someone else's rune book, this kind of cooperation could come in quite handy.

Ganging up on people who messing with a sorcerer could easily violate TOS in Gemstone, and that's not okay. But when it comes to invasions, this kind of guild could be quite useful. Imagine leaders in various parts of the world in charge of gathering post level 40 sorcerers in their area and letting them use their book to teleport to where the invasion is happening. If regional leaders all made sure that they had full books (at least one teleport spot in each town), then they could also work to send everyone back afterwards.

This kind of networking could be vital. Also, I'm highly in favor of more guild work sessions and lectures. I wouldn't join the group if it was sending out lawless bands of sorcerers to kill people who screwed with the wrong person, but I would very much be interested if it were working on the rest of the ideas mentioned here.

Necromancer
01-09-2006, 04:04 PM
Oh, and Querthose is still listed as an officer of Sorcerous Arcanum (if it hasn't been cleaned out of the Landing PRO hall yet). So if you decide to take it over, I can help you get your name on the rolls as an officer and such.

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 04:17 PM
Sounds like it might make sense to rebuild Sorcerous Arcanum. This is definately a good option.

Fallen
01-09-2006, 05:11 PM
This kind of networking could be vital. Also, I'm highly in favor of more guild work sessions and lectures. I wouldn't join the group if it was sending out lawless bands of sorcerers to kill people who screwed with the wrong person, but I would very much be interested if it were working on the rest of the ideas mentioned here. >>

A sorcerer hit squad, while amusing, is likely a bad thing. A pack of 10 70+ sorcerers hitting an invasion all at once, however, would be something in which I would consider participating.

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by Fallen]

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 05:32 PM
This kind of networking could be vital. Also, I'm highly in favor of more guild work sessions and lectures. I wouldn't join the group if it was sending out lawless bands of sorcerers to kill people who screwed with the wrong person, but I would very much be interested if it were working on the rest of the ideas mentioned here. >>

A sorcerer hit squad, while amusing, is likely a bad thing. A pack of 10 70+ sorcerers hitting an invasion all at once, however, would be something in which I would consider participating.

[Edited on 1-9-2006 by Fallen]

Good to hear some positive feedback and potential interest. Thanks for the response.

SpunGirl
01-09-2006, 05:55 PM
One thing you should ponder, Nocturnix, is how to hold events that will generate enough interest for you to work your way up the tiers of PRO-dom. Events that are only open to the members of that group don't count towards a group's event total for the year.

I'd be interested in attending guild work nights sponsored by your PRO, that would be one way to get your event number up there.

-K

Caramia
01-09-2006, 06:13 PM

3. Town defense and anti-thief support - this was one of my favorite objectives. I've already had my pockets cleaned and my lootbags emptied in the landing and I know there are several existing gangs of roving theives. When 740 is released we will be able to respond to reports of theivery and deal our own "brand" of justice.

The GM in charge of PROs probably won't approve anything with so much potential for unconsented PvP. Even if you pulled the wool over her eyes and played that part down, the minute you started getting reported, the jig would be up.

Bringing others into conflicts they aren't directly a party to, or trying to suppress what is considered a skill in the game (pickpocketing) and mete out your own "justice" -- I'm sure you'll quickly find a thing or two happens:

- Several of you will find your way to the Consultation Lounge for a chat with a GM.

- The Sorcerer Guru will take a pretty dim view of your activities. That's exactly how nice potent spells wind up getting nerfed. Then you'll alienate the rest of the Sorcerer population.

Any sorcerer that can't defend themselves against thieves are probably too young, too poorly trained, or too stupid.

Keep your containers closed or put cursed gems right at the top if you're going to keep them open. Carry a bunch of poison needles. Tell your demon to guard you, if you're in a town that allows them.

It's much more fun to watch and laugh at someone drop dead from putting their hands where they shouldn't have been or begging asympathetic clerics to uncurse them.

Sean of the Thread
01-09-2006, 06:18 PM
I think his idea is retarded. I also think Caramia is a man AND is retarded.

SpunGirl
01-09-2006, 06:26 PM
I both agree and disagree with Xyelin.

The part I disagree about has to do with Caramia's 40DD ta-tas, which I have met and inadvertantly brushed against IN PERSON. :lol:

Seriously though.

-K

Caramia
01-09-2006, 06:28 PM
If I was a man, I'd be a lot happier and richer, since the pay scale for my career tips in favor of male executives! Given how prone I am to giggling, I'd just wind up being called a nancy boy and ostracized -- oh wait, you already do that to me here. :smug:

Caramia
01-09-2006, 06:29 PM
Spun! It was just an accidental feel? Damn...

Trinitis
01-09-2006, 07:49 PM

I agree with the above statement, even if I don't agree with the asshat that made the statement.

:P :saint:

-He who is still a sorcerer at heart.

Shalla
01-09-2006, 07:51 PM

I think we all know sorcerers ( smart ones ) can easily take care of themselves. I personally can handle any challenge that comes my way in game. I think this almost sounds like, a gang.

Do we really need a group for this? For one thing, I can close my containers and hold myself responsible if I am stolen from for not being cautious enough. All sorcerers are capable of cursing gems to place in their containers to discourage thieves. Do we really need gatherings and meetings to discuss things we already know?

The only purpose I see from this suggestion is to have a "Mess with me, and you'll have all the sorcerers after you" scare tactic. Someone responsible and mature enough does not need a PRO to handle their own battles. However, it is a good suggestion to have a group to teach others common sense.

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Shalla]

Trinitis
01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
And knowing such, if I was a rogue I'd target Sorcerers. It'd be more fun watching 8-10 sorcerers get huge fines then stealing and not getting caught.

nocturnix
01-09-2006, 08:22 PM
What an overwhelmingly negative response. You are all absolutely no fun.

Well most of you that is.

SpunGirl
01-09-2006, 08:28 PM
LOL, you asked.

Let us know how it works out, dude. The first time your group enters into unconsented PvP because someone stole from, attacked or otherwise insulted one of your homeslices, it'll be in the toilet.

-K

Shalla
01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but the reasons you provided I'm iffy about. I think you should present it more of a camaraderie type of thing. A group of sorcerers for roleplaying purposes like to learn more or better their craft.. like guild work and practicing runes with them etc. A brotherhood like the coven and to provide help for towns for events like invasions.. especially anything related to demons or undead. Your PRO will then provide assistance in researching and providing information. Your group also will gather your members and retaliate in a powerful combined attack etc.

I think people interested in gathering a group is always a good idea. As long as it's for good purpose and not just for PVP. At least, if you plan on turning it a PVP type thing.. throw a little roleplay to hide your agenda.. and even that will still be frowned upon. Even having one person say.. my PRO group will come after you will ruin your group's credebility and reputation that expect your list of members be picked on in the future.

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Shalla]

HarmNone
01-09-2006, 09:16 PM
I do not think people are being purposefully negative, nocturnix. I think most are just trying to let you know that the concept of a group of sorcerers taking revenge on anyone who displeases one of their own is, in all probability, not going to be acceptable to the PTB. The idea of a PRO for sorcerers, in and of itself, isn\'t bad at all, if you can find enough people who would be interested. :)

Fallen
01-09-2006, 09:44 PM
I agree with the above statement, even if I don't agree with the asshat that made the statement. >>

I love you too, (Insert most recent attention whore-esque namechange)

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Fallen]

Numbers
01-09-2006, 09:58 PM
What an overwhelmingly negative response. You are all absolutely no fun.

Well most of you that is.

To be honest, I don't think the PRO GM would support a vigilante group of Sorcerers, as you put it. As such, it may be best to remove that idea altogether. This would lead to lots and lots of conflict. The stupid kind of conflict.

The goal of Sorcerous Arcanum was pretty much to unify as many Sorcerers as possible and to try to reign in all the idiot "sorcies" running around. The ones who abuse their power, think they're Death incarnate, think their shit don't smell, so on and so forth.

Additionally, there were goals to teach people how to use Scroll Infusion, Minor Summoning, and other complicated spells, both present and future (Animate Dead and the teleport thing would probably have been included, and possibly ensorcell, if that's still even on the list).

Unfortunately, as I said, enthusiasm was limited, and I chose a piss poor time to try to get it going, as I was in the middle of my MBA schooling.

In any case, I just popped into the game real quick to check if Sorcerous Arcanum still existed, and it doesn't. Must have been cleared out. Which is insulting, considering I designed the fucking Landing PRO Hall through ALAE. But c'est la vie.

It's a good idea, but support from other Sorcerers may not be fully forthcoming.