PDA

View Full Version : Redux vs Armor

Artha
10-14-2003, 07:32 PM
I can't decide...I've figured out I can 2x physical fitness if I 1x armor for the first few trainings (I will then be able to 2x almost constantly). I'm wondering, is redux worth staying in doubles and later brig for 6-7 more levels than normal?

I'll be atleast 21 in GSIV, so I should get into brig (almost) immediately.

StrayRogue
10-14-2003, 08:30 PM
I survived without brig until 25. 6-7 more trains will not kill you.

Artha
10-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Actually, I'll have brig with an MvA until 27 or so, but the RT shouldn't be a problem.

I was just wondering if getting into chain as fast as possible was worth forgoeing redux for awhile.

StrayRogue
10-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Chain is something I'll be in by 40 or so. Massive penalties to hiding and stuff. But to each their own.

Artha
10-14-2003, 09:20 PM
Heh, I just tried it out in Beta...no redux yet, but at 20 something ranks, everything's the same except my MvA, which should be normal in about 3-5 levels. Levels that shouldn't be too hard with the 1.5x multiplier.

Edaarin
10-15-2003, 12:20 AM
I don't really think doubling in armor is worth it, especially with the increased TP cost.

IcyPoison
10-15-2003, 07:32 AM
My rogue will be in brig by 13, hauberk by 40. The heavy armor makes a huge difference if you actually get hit.

AnticorRifling
10-15-2003, 08:08 AM
My rogue is in hauberk at lvl 25, slows his ambush to 7 seconds but I've never had a problem hiding(full 3x in hide) and I can take a hit with little worries. I don't know if I'll 2x in armor in GSIV though I just haven't sat down and crunched the numbers.

Parkbandit
10-15-2003, 08:12 AM
What kind of penalty will there be for chain and above when it comes to hiding will there be in GS4?

Hope you know you'll be making my spreadsheet for Falgrin Edaarin. I know jack squat about GS4 right now.

StrayRogue
10-15-2003, 08:56 AM
Agreed Edaarin. Not worth doubling. I am singling so I can eventually wear heavier armors, plus it adds to redux (if only in a smaller manner now). I'll take not getting hit, extra AS/DS than an extra rank of armor.

Wezas
10-15-2003, 09:17 AM
Didn't realize that the initial question was about a rogue until halfway through the posts. My warrior (open fighter, no hiding) is 3xing in armor, and is swinging a claid in hauberk in 5 seconds at 25. It definately depends on how soon you want to be in the armor and how high of an armor you want to be in. I'm tripling because I want to be in plate as soon as possible.

Any guesses at the Redux calculation in GS4? Using the GS3 calculation, my Redux is supposed to be about 30% at 25.

StrayRogue
10-15-2003, 09:28 AM
The redus formular was posted in the official announcements. Its pretty much the same, except that now the only Primary skill is PT.

Edaarin
10-15-2003, 01:46 PM
Oh, I agree now that its worth doubling in. My rogue is in full plate right now with no round time penalty (um, about 80 levels away from no action penalty) and it probably saves his ass on every hunt. But...

You won't be able to hide in anything much more than torso chain. I don't know the exact mechanics, but I imagine it'd be something like a 10 second hiding RT or complete failure period. Not to mention that wearing armor you're not trained for reduces any DS you get from Dodging. Unless you plan to hunt from open without ambush (which is just kinda silly, should just be a warrior), it's really hard to justify.

Suppa Hobbit Mage
10-15-2003, 04:17 PM
So you should buy my crit padded brig, biyotch.