PDA

View Full Version : taking the plunge

Gan
01-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Well...

I took the plunge. A friend came down from CT for the holidays and is a huge WoW fanatic. After a whole days convincing I've decided to have a taste.

My friend has 2 capped and a myriad of others. His favorite is the rogue.

I've started up a warlock first just to become familiar with the game. Will do a rogue next as I've been told they are the best profession there. And of course I'm partial to rogues anyways. :whistle:

So far, I've completed a handfull of quests, been to several different towns and am now level 8.

I've had guild invites already but am planning to be in my friend's guild if this turns into something more permanent.

Only thing I dont like is when I get server lag when I'm in a hurry. :(

Artha
01-01-2006, 03:23 PM
All the professions I've played are pretty fun, but rogues are up there if you like active combat.

Numbers
01-01-2006, 04:36 PM
If you don't want to be bored shitless at the end game, don't roll up a rogue, hunter, or warrior. They're not really in very high demand, and they're a dime a dozen. Hunter and rogue are my favorite class to do PvE with, and they're very good in PvP, but for endgame raids and whatnot, there's just no room for them.

You might want to try giving a priest a shot. Shadow priests are extremely powerful and are good for levelling up with, and are in very high demand at the end game. If you're alliance, be a dwarf priest, if horde, undead.

Druids are essentially backup healers and combat rezzers. They can do surprisingly good damage if feral specced, but feral druids aren't in demand for some reason.

Paladins are also backup healers and make very good offtanks, but they're pretty boring to play.

Shamans can do pretty much anything and do it well.

Mages are very powerful, especially when dealing with lots of mobs, but their endgame itemization is kind of crummy. They do excellent damage though, but have paper armor.

Warlocks are kind of meh. They do decent damage, and they provide soulstones and some really good debuffs, but they're not in very high demand.

Rogues and hunters are pretty much the damage dealers. Which is probably why there's so many of'em. Absurdly easy to level up with.

But really, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to PvP (or are on a PvP server), shadow priests are extremely good, as are hunters and rogues (rogues can stealth, which is very valuable on a PvP server), mages, shaman, and druids.

If you're just interested in PvE, pretty much any class is decent. Some are better than others, but they're all serviceable.

If you're interested in endgame raiding, prepare to abandon your life to do the same things over and over and over again in the same places. WoW pretty much falls apart once you hit level 60.

[Edited on 1-1-2006 by 3704558]

Skeeter
01-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Hadiar's bitter about end game because he's a hunter.

I've played a warrior & a mage to lvl 60. The warrior is much more fun, and while true there are a lot of warriors, a good portion of them suck.

I've not had too much trouble catching on with raids and such, because every instance needs at least one warrior. The mage is eh. not too bad, but standing in back with the women folk dealing ranged damage isn't my thing.

My advice, play a bunch of classes up to 15 or so, where you get a taste for their talent tree, and then make up your mind and go with the one you enjoy the most.

Apotheosis
01-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Please tell me you are on the Dunemal server as an ally.. :D

Ebondale
01-02-2006, 02:49 PM
Shadow Priests are ridiculous amounts of fun. Nothing beats a Shadow Priest in PvP. ^_^

Gan
01-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Bloodhoof
Alliance

Not naming any of my characters the same as my GS characters.

Once I get my feet on the ground, I'll start up a horde character as another profession. I love the fact that I can mail money and items to my other characters.

The wait to get on last night was insane. 480+ queue/30+minute wait.

My warlock is 10 now, starting to earn points for talents... now to choose which build to go for. I've trained him in tailoring and enchanting.

I've found out the hard way that warlocks suck at melee multiple opponent combat when solo. But the DOT effects from a distance rock and they are very handy in groups when I can aggro some of the swarm to me to free up others in my group to help kill.

Drew2
01-02-2006, 03:18 PM
I heard something about face melting and shadow priests one time.

:shrug:

TheEschaton
01-02-2006, 03:19 PM
I think I'll hold off on WoW until I get back to the States for good, and dedicate myself properly to a new addiction.

-TheE-

Drew2
01-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by TheEschaton
I think I'll hold off on WoW until I get back to the States for good, and dedicate myself properly to a new addiction.

-TheE-

Awesome!

Everyone was worried you'd never join and it's great to know that you're planning to eventually!

Hurrah!

Yay!

TheEschaton
01-02-2006, 03:29 PM
I sense some sarcasm.

-TheE-

Drew2
01-02-2006, 03:38 PM
omg ur spiderman.

Artha
01-02-2006, 03:39 PM
I heard something about face melting and shadow priests one time.
Shadow priestery owns post-MF.

Necromancer
01-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Eh, WoW isn't that great. I'm level 32, and I'm getting bored already.

Fallen
01-02-2006, 11:59 PM
Eh, WoW isn't that great. I'm level 32, and I'm getting bored already. >>

So THAT is where Q went. Understandable, I suppose.

Necromancer
01-03-2006, 02:29 AM
The lack of development in Gemstone was getting to me. I need Alchemy and 740 to renew my interest in the game. For the time being, I'm only minimally in Gemstone right now.

AnticorRifling
01-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Roll horde on Dunemaul. Send a tell to anyone in Me So Hordy for an invite. Easiest way is to ask someone who can do invites to the guild, then whisper to that person something bad about Anticor. That's generally an instant in.

Sean of the Thread
01-03-2006, 06:38 AM
Yeah you def want to be in Me So Hordy.. great guild.

Shadow priests are sweet. I'm also really enjoying my feral druid.

I think Hectomaner might give you a pwning about Warlocks and their damage output endgame.

Alfster
01-03-2006, 07:18 AM
Voyna sucks!

Skeeter
01-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Xyelin

I think Hectomaner might give you a pwning about Warlocks and their damage output endgame.

I thought MSH fell apart due to personality conflicts.

Wezas
01-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Skeeter

It did not fall apart. Most of the PCers left because of conflicts with a certain member. Xyelin would be attempting sarcasm in the above quote.

Axhinde
01-03-2006, 11:40 AM

MSH is still together. Its mostly just Wayne and his sensitive buddies. We split from MSH basically to stop offending everybody and make their lives easier. We were thinking of only the children.

Gan
01-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Oh god, if thats all guilds are about is Drama then I'll just hire out/volunteer for raids when I cap the warlock. Providing I dont spend all my wow time with the startup rogue at that point.

I dont have time for drama. I get enough of that with my limited in-game time in GS.

CrystalTears
01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
If it's an online game, it will have drama whether you like it or not. You don't even have to be in a guild.. it's in the regular chats all the time.

Guilds are good as long as you join one with some people you know or are familiar with and not run off and join the first guild that sends you an invite. At least join a guild with people you've quested/hunted with and can get along or have heard/seen them in action. The last thing you want is to be part of a guild that their main purpose in life is to ninja loot and harass n00bs at all costs.

Axhinde
01-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Just wait until you experience The Barrens general chat. HAHAHAHA.

Apotheosis
01-03-2006, 12:02 PM
barren's chat :spaz:

Gan
01-03-2006, 12:25 PM
I just turn the chat window over to combat and avoid all the blah blah blah.

I stopped counting guild invites at 20, got hit with 3 charter invites last night. And that was just running around completing quests and selling off loot.

I'm on the quest now to get my imp. If this patch will ever complete downloading. Ugh.

Apotheosis
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Warlocks are fun, although, I mostly play the hunter.

Skeeter
01-03-2006, 12:42 PM
So what's the new PC dunemaul guild so I can switch over.

I'm easily as offensive as Xyelin

Chyrain
01-05-2006, 09:56 AM
'bout time, G.

I'm about to cap my third character (priest, rogue and mage). My guild is also gearing up to get into AQ here in a bit, and we raid 5 nights a week...

About the drama? The thing that makes WoW different than GS is that there are 2390487242927834 people playing, so you can properly ignore people without having your game experience limited. It's not like you have to run into them at every turn, you know? There are so many different places to level up/farm/quest that there really is no reason to be bothered by individuals.

just don't think that your gameplay this week is what the game is really like, however. this last patch was pretty buggy and everyone on my server that I know has been having some issues with logging in, etc. also, the queueing up to play is dependant on the server. I've only had a 20 person queue one time in a year of playing WoW.

Gan
01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
The last patch has my gameplay very screwey.

I completed the quest to get my voidwalker and its cool having it pounce on things. It has definately made a difference in melee combat with non-magic combatants.

I still split time between GS and WoW due to leadership obligations with Ganalon and the ATK. And I'd like to see him cap eventually.

Raiding nightly, ugh. My evening time is limited to pretty much when I'm travelling or if I'm up late and sleepless.

Wow is fun none the less, Its a nice refreshing change. And its damn nice to play a game with an actual owners/users manual that gives you instructions on HOW TO PLAY (something GS could do with all the damn commands they have).

hectomaner
01-05-2006, 10:25 PM
oh jesus, ganalon is hooked.

too bad you are on the wrong server ;)

SnatchWrangler
01-06-2006, 01:51 PM
So what's the new PC dunemaul guild so I can switch over.

I'm easily as offensive as Xyelin

Me So Hordy.

Talk to Anticor or Dysentery in game. I think his buddy Talladar can invite as well.

CrystalTears
01-06-2006, 02:07 PM
He means the one that's not Me So Hordy, where the PC players went.

Wezas
01-06-2006, 02:11 PM
They are still trying to pick a name. Xyelin and I are discussing it in playerscornerchat right now.

Skeeter
01-06-2006, 03:48 PM
I suggest Japgross

Gan
01-06-2006, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by hectomaner
oh jesus, ganalon is hooked.

too bad you are on the wrong server ;)

Actually, being on a server where I just know 1 person is kind of nice. The solitude is bliss. I blame that on my being an only child. No comittments, no obligations, no constraints, no strings, I just come and go as I please.

I lend a hand when I'm hunting in an area and see someone getting their ass handed to them, and for the most part I get the same treatment.

Parkbandit
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Trust me Ganalon.. the game is a WHOLE lotta fun when you play it with people you do know.

Dunemaul, horde side. Stop being a little puss.

Some Rogue
01-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Parkbandit
Trust me Ganalon.. the game is a WHOLE lotta fun when you play it with people you do know.

Yeah, there's nothing more fun than making fun of PB so much his kids come on Teamspeak and tell you to leave their daddy alone.

Gan
01-06-2006, 09:43 PM
:lol:

Thats rich.

I'll migrate over eventually. I'm enjoying the solitude for now, which is great since I'm working my ass off at work getting my numbers up on the board and setting up my client funnel for the rest of the year.

We've got a new VP sales/marketing and he's kicking ass and taking names right now. If all goes as projected I'll nail my yearly goals by mid 2nd quarter, then its party time as I set things up for 2007.

I've also got to scheme and steal the Hawaii accounts from my counterpart on the west coast. I have not been to Hawaii yet and he has, so its old news for him. I just have to figure out something to trade off to get them.

Sean of the Thread
01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
Ganalon you can always come join on the d/l.

Parkbandit
01-06-2006, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Some Rogue

Originally posted by Parkbandit

Yeah, there's nothing more fun than making fun of PB so much his kids come on Teamspeak and tell you to leave their daddy alone.

No one likes you.